The Daily Dose »« Spice and Wolf – 12

Spice and Wolf – 13 (END)

Spice and Wolf   13   01 Spice and Wolf   13   02 Spice and Wolf   13   03
Spice and Wolf   13   04 Spice and Wolf   13   05 Spice and Wolf   13   06
Spice and Wolf   13   07 Spice and Wolf   13   08 Spice and Wolf   13   09
Spice and Wolf   13   10 Spice and Wolf   13   11 Spice and Wolf   13   12
Spice and Wolf   13   13 Spice and Wolf   13   14 Spice and Wolf   13   15
Spice and Wolf   13   16 Spice and Wolf   13   17 Spice and Wolf   13   18
Spice and Wolf   13   19 Spice and Wolf   13   20 Spice and Wolf   13   21
Spice and Wolf   13   22 Spice and Wolf   13   23 Spice and Wolf   13   24
Spice and Wolf   13   25 Spice and Wolf   13   26 Spice and Wolf   13   27
Spice and Wolf   13   28 Spice and Wolf   13   29 Spice and Wolf   13   30
Spice and Wolf   13   31 Spice and Wolf   13   32 Spice and Wolf   13   33

Epilogue

Spice and Wolf   13   34 Spice and Wolf   13   35 Spice and Wolf   13   36
Spice and Wolf   13   37 Spice and Wolf   13   38 Spice and Wolf   13   39

-There was no fight with the other wolf because it appears that Horo basically prostrated herself to it. Instead, she goes and beats up all the Remerio men, and Lawrence returns to Rubinhaigen to convince their head to pay him 500 Lumione over 10 years. And as expected, Horo and Lawrence then continue their journey, though not without Lawrence teasing Horo a bit first.
-Overall, I didn’t hate this show, but I didn’t come anywhere near loving it either. As I’ve mentioned before, I like some of the characters (mainly Horo), but I really can’t stand the pacing of the story and the way they develop medieval economics themes – that just didn’t appeal to me at all. Perhaps they might have been better off focusing on their journey North instead of on Lawrence’s schemes, but I understand that’s not how the light novels progressed. Regardless, along with the animation quality, I got a general sense of mediocrity and never truly got excited about the show (especially not compared to some of the other stuff airing these days). For those reasons, I probably won’t watch a second season, if there ever is one.
つづく

March 25, 2008 at 8:13 pm
  • March 25, 2008 at 8:20 pmCalek

i thought this was supposed to be the last episode?

• March 25, 2008 at 8:21 pmOgre

Looks like a bit of a fun ep w/ horo laying some smackdown?

• March 25, 2008 at 8:21 pmkentaiyoshimi

kool, looks pretty interesting

• March 25, 2008 at 8:22 pmTheRep

Looks like there is room for another season, or OVAs.

• March 25, 2008 at 8:23 pmanonimus

no (END)?

• March 25, 2008 at 8:25 pmAdrian

yeah Horo for more time!!! :)

• March 25, 2008 at 8:34 pmSilver

I’m hoping for a 2nd season.. Damn this episode was a turn over compare to other episodes.. @-@

• March 25, 2008 at 8:47 pmehh

what? No kiss? boomer !

• March 25, 2008 at 8:47 pmYun

will be 14 eps?
    or ends here?

• March 25, 2008 at 8:51 pmjeffng9

its the end for horo
    nice episode i hope there is a season 2 because the story can’t end like this
    he had not fulfill his promise in bringing horo back to her hometown just yet

• March 25, 2008 at 9:01 pmHei

just a bit confused…

• March 25, 2008 at 9:11 pmsniperz

• March 25, 2008 at 9:30 pmJenni

;O; … =O no END

but this is cute

well… now wait for more Horo and Lawrence *o*

• March 25, 2008 at 9:55 pmanonimus

Well I didn’t really expect much of this show. Its just one of those “fill up my time while I wait for the other animes to subbed” shows. Its a pretty easy watch (aside from those schemes that I could not seem to understand ^_^;) I gotta to admit I was ready to drop it if it wasn’t for Horo. She basically kept the little interest I had in the show with her personality. Plus the ED was AWESOME!

• March 25, 2008 at 10:03 pmTESAI OTAKU

SO NO MORE FLEAS!!???…OR HIS IS GOING TO MARRY WITH HER AND FUND THE FIRST PUP DOG SHAMPOO FACTORY IN HISTORY…..man……it´s soooo good to watches anime to actually learn something about the japanese feudal history!!

:D ;D :D( do you actually know someone more funny than me??)

• March 25, 2008 at 10:08 pmDarkmatter

They left the ending open…meaning there might a second season. Oh well, I wouldn’t mind seeing more of Horo :)

• March 25, 2008 at 10:19 pmLeviahan

I loved this show. Horo is sweet. I find the plot interesting & enjoyable.

• March 25, 2008 at 10:29 pmdivine|s

LOL @ Lawrence.

He would’ve called out Horo’s name because according to him, it’s *slightly* shorter than Nora’s. “Horo”. “Nora”. They seem to be the same 2 syllable length to me. Horo was understandably fuming because of this.

• March 25, 2008 at 10:33 pmdivine|s

On another note to Omni or anyone else who cares, episode 2 of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien ~Next Season~ is out.

• March 25, 2008 at 10:36 pmGenestarwind

Lol, the manga was quite new and there is more into it.

• March 25, 2008 at 10:36 pmAznSoulBoy

I hope there is a second season!

• March 25, 2008 at 10:57 pmMike

the anime was unfortunately nowhere near as good as the novels :(

• March 25, 2008 at 11:02 pmAmber

Im sorry to go out of subjet but.. Omni.. Are you going to blog about the Darker than black OVA? it was amazing.

• March 26, 2008 at 12:58 amfrubam

Man, this wasn’t the subtle Inukami i was expecting it to be :(, but it was entertaining enough to keep my interests.

• March 26, 2008 at 2:01 amFlareKnight

Well too bad the series had to end. Hopefully a second season will come up at some point down the road.

Personally felt it was the best of the Winter Season. I’ve known my share of mediocrity over the years and this show wasn’t anywhere close to it. But been pretty clear that it wasn’t Omni’s type of show considering the comments that came up over the series.

Enjoyed watching the start of two characters here. Their interactions along the way was enjoyable to watch. Horo was definitely a great lead. Glad they stuck with what the novels were about and actually gave a good amount of episodes to each arc so they wouldn’t be overly rushed.

Know that the economic side wasn’t for everyone. But did a nice job showing some dangers of business during that time and also the danger of the church.

• March 26, 2008 at 3:17 amvexx

Sigh… what they could have done with the material with more episodes per arc. Ah well, it did get me interested in the light novels. But I’ll miss the verbal romantic fencing between Horo and Lawrence — nice voice acting on those two.

Points for a companionship development thats a bit more grown up than the emo/angsty teen dramas anime seems fixated on.

Unless we hear noise of a second season (it was pretty popular and lots of buzz in Japan’s anime audiences), I guess its off to push my way through the light novels (and the manga adaptation).

• March 26, 2008 at 4:22 amvexx

For those who are confused by the ending. There are currently seven novels released for S&W. The anime covered the first two novels in a very condensed format.

Needless to say, there’s much more adventure and romance/companionship development to go.

Now to see if the buzz and merchandise purchase in Japan in sufficient to get them to greenlight a second season………

The manga adaptation of the light novels is still pretty young — and it isn’t clear yet whether the manga will follow the novels and give us those moments missing from the anime script adaptation or whether it will follow the anime short version of the stories.

• March 26, 2008 at 7:01 amshh227

Oh my Lawrence is such a looser he is always relying on Horo every single time to save the day.

In all fair unlike some I did prefer the show in a slow pace, but the economics just kept giving me a migraine. I had to pause the video nearly every second just so I could understand the plot. My catchphrase was always “What did he say?” or “What did she say?”

The main positive things I can say was that I like the characters Horo, Noro and Lawrence.

Well I will check out the OVA when that comes (Which is actually episode 7 I think)

• March 26, 2008 at 7:08 amken

me also… I dont understand some of what they are talking(about the deals). Well , i still watched it bcause of the characters. Probably w8ting 4 da subs^^

• March 26, 2008 at 7:21 amUnknown Voice

loved this show. Can’t wait for Season2 (if it happens), there’s some great stuff to come.

• March 26, 2008 at 9:15 amdraksig

Obviously they are leaving this one open for a second season and I hope they get it. Horo is just too cute.

• March 26, 2008 at 10:09 amSplash

I assumed the other wolf wanted to dominate and mate her. I didn’t think it planned to kill her per se.

• March 26, 2008 at 10:40 amcalde

Horo:
    ホロ
    in Japanese
    2 letters

Nora:
    ノーラ
    3 letters

• March 26, 2008 at 1:03 pmdivine|s

@calde:

Oh right, I forgot her name is spelled ノーラ (Noura). Thanks for the reminder.

• March 26, 2008 at 2:33 pmdivine|s

err, oops. “Noora” not “Noura”.

• March 26, 2008 at 11:39 pmBROOKLYN otaku

JEEEZ!! alot of ENDINGS happening… feel kinda empty inside. . . . . OMNI!!!!!!! THE SPRING/SUMMER SCHEDULE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! make me whole again! “sort of”

• March 27, 2008 at 1:10 amBob

@Splash: hoping you’re not correct, but that was the first thing I thought as well. If so it ends the series on an extremly sour note.

• March 27, 2008 at 2:48 amritchan

I on the other hand loved it. I just thought this episode was a little weak for an ending. Second season please! Why is everything only 13 eps nowadays…

• March 27, 2008 at 2:50 amritchan

The strongest asset of this anime is its atmosphere. Didn’t you feel it somehow? It’s pretty hard not to.

• March 27, 2008 at 3:53 amSpeedistic

I sure hope that there would be a 2nd season of this. I just love this anime.

• March 27, 2008 at 4:43 ammutio

What’s with this “they are leaving this open” comments?!
    Of course it’s an open end, they barely covered 2 of 7 novels as Vexx pointed out already, geez..

• March 27, 2008 at 4:45 ammutio

Ah and “There was no fight with the other wolf because it appears that Horo basically prostrated herself to it”
    Wasn’t that the other way?!

• March 27, 2008 at 8:31 amJoe Sargent

Hei, Guys! That’s Official:

All Hail to the Tail!

• March 27, 2008 at 8:34 amDimagus

Stuff:

• March 27, 2008 at 1:44 pmVeinot

A lot of people don’t think that Horo actually… er… with the big wolf. In that flash back, she’s on her knees, as if bowing to him, so a lot of people think that she just humiliated herself begging for mercy.

• March 27, 2008 at 3:53 pmtokko

Another good series, but hate to say if its already end -_-

• March 27, 2008 at 5:36 pmTaran

Anyone who didn’t like this show has some sort of mental disorder.

There better be a second season!

• March 27, 2008 at 11:20 pmEcchiWonder

This was a great ending. It seems that some people would prefer a Claymore type ending. Why not ignore the novels, plop horo and Lawrence into a volcano in the North and call it a day.

• March 27, 2008 at 11:28 pmShirozakii

Huh? I still don’t get why they didn’t fight. What’s “mature” means? It doesn’t really make sense if you use prostrated there. =/

• March 27, 2008 at 11:36 pmLor

I rather enjoyed this little anime. I’d put it above most of what I’ve watched in the last 6 months. I found it pretty original, pretty funny, and Horo was a great character. I’d be happy to have another season.

And the opening theme is just beautiful.

• March 27, 2008 at 11:39 pmLor

Oh, and I would safely assume that when Horo did something “mature” with the big wolf, it means that they fucked. That’s what animals do. That’s how they show dominance. She calmed him down by letting him get his jollies. Happens with humans too…Grow up people.

• March 28, 2008 at 12:04 amhenry_x157eLK

not my cup of tea, but very nice ED song

didn’t watch the whole series, just watch several random episodes

• March 28, 2008 at 3:20 amvexx

Actually, that wouldn’t be a safe assumption, Lor. Basically, she bowed and did the wolf equivalent of baring her throat to assure the young wolf of his “alpha” status in the forest. Faster and more mature than a lot of posturing, growling, and violence. That’s the way *real wolves* act as well. See novel for reference.

• March 28, 2008 at 7:56 amchloe

I thought it was cute :D

• March 29, 2008 at 12:12 amFlareKnight

Honestly it makes more sense that she just let the youngster know this was his forest and he was in charge there. Get on your knees, talk to the guy and move on.

She wanted to hurry things along so she could get back to Lawrence. Mating makes no sense since that would take time. Might as well fight, kick the guys ass, and run back over. Settling by the more mature means is what saved time and kept the situation from getting out of hand.

• March 29, 2008 at 4:53 ammorisan

i agree that the anime wasn’t all that exciting but i loved it nevertheless because of the characters (nora!) and the predetermined success turn of event. I’m buying the light novels tomorrow so that should make up for the anime

• March 29, 2008 at 5:57 amvexx

Well, its also corresponds to actual wolf and pack behavior…. Horo bares her throat, alpha wolf is fine and no energy is wasted.

• March 31, 2008 at 6:06 pmBrianANiME

I loved this anime… Horo was such a cool character.

I really hope there’s a season 2… and, I think there will be. After all, they haven’t made it to the North yet and Horo hasn’t gotten her honey peaches yet!

• April 4, 2008 at 5:57 pmMike

I really wanted this show to be cooler because the interaction between Horo and Lawrence was clever and cute and really enjoyable, but I felt like the story went nowhere most of the time. And what’s with Lawrence? He likes to go into long lectures about what makes a great merchant, but he constantly gets himself screwed.

• April 30, 2008 at 5:10 amShiroSama

Honest truth, I found the new angle, focussing on Lawrence’s schemes and the very human flaws of a so called goddess, to be a fresh and enjoyable idea. Being a student of economics, it was fun to follow his plans and pick them apart as well. I do hope that there will be another season, but will be satisfied with the typical “make your own ending” if there is not one. Diviation from the norm typically pushes people away from something and yet, I am happy to see that so many stuck with it until the end. A fun ride to the end. I will enjoy viewing Spice and Wolf again and again.

• May 23, 2008 at 1:07 pmqwertyazsxdcfvgbhn

Ma vaffanculo XD

• May 30, 2008 at 2:32 pmnixodus

I personally enjoyed this show a lot! It even went to my top 5 animes. Watched 12 episodes in one day and not one moment of boredom!

• June 6, 2008 at 8:36 amoutcast

very laidback enjoyable series.

• July 19, 2008 at 9:26 pmhoro follower

this is a dam (*&^%$$$#@! ending i need a season 2 the story isnt yet unt the half part

• July 26, 2008 at 2:33 amShinku&Horo_lover

I LOVE THIS ANIME SO MUCH! There may be a few episodes that are slow on the plot, but it’s not that dissatisfying, isn’t it? I really enjoyed it, though there were complications in some moments, especially those related to Lawrences’ money and profit issues. But with Horo around, it’s just irresistable! What I like most of this anime was the quality and the series of mixed events… and the realtionship btween Horo and Lawrence! I kind of like the part about Horo asking Lawrence about whose name he called. Lawrence was FINALLY smart enough to solve this problem (with the help of the clock. After all, he didnt want to hurt Horo’s feelings and disrespect Nora.
    I HAVE QUESTIONS FOR ALL OF YOU! : What do you think will happen to Lawrence once he and Horo reaches the North? Even if our leading couple did move on with the relationship, wats gonna happen to em if Horo reaches the North? Do you think he would leave her there even if she manages to repay him? Where and how would he open his dream shop?
    These questions might be answered if there will be a second season. Let’s all pray and hope for a 2nd season because Lawrence and Horo aren’t done yet!!

• August 5, 2008 at 4:09 ammaiku

tansai otaku
    are you stupid or something ??
    how can this be japanese feudal history ??
    betsuni
    that must be something that an otaku like you cant understand

• August 18, 2008 at 3:16 pmkiri

psh i cant believe that there’s only 13 episodes so far but o wells i guess one can only hope for a 2nd season to help pass time… i wasnt exactly thrilled with this series but its a good change from what ive been watching lately so i think i’d watch a 2nd season if there ever is one…

• September 4, 2008 at 11:35 pmDenny C

I DLed this anime not thinking much of it. But for some reason I really got into it, it’s complex, but simple at the same time. Horo is such a smart ass sometimes and is what keeps me watching. I really want a 2nd season, I hate it when shows are left open. Anyways normally more girly animes dont entertain me, but this one is with all the trade stuff and the complexity. I’m awaiting for the 2nd season and might pick up a few mangas just so i can know what is going to happen next.

• September 17, 2008 at 10:44 pmThePandaMan

There should definitely be a second season, or at least an ending movie, or better yet… Both! I can see how alot of people might not find the show appealing, but I’m not picky anymore since its becoming harder for me to find new shows. ^^ Besides, it was pretty good. 7/10*

• October 28, 2008 at 9:53 amanime_freaksg

2nd season confirmed! Watching it cause of my support for Lelouch/Kallen ship! Lolz!

• December 26, 2008 at 11:14 pmSing Jeezy

Man I lovvvvvveeeeddd this series, its a stable steady romance and brings something new to the table.

• June 17, 2009 at 4:49 amKingaby

I personally quite enjoyed the show, but was slightly disappointed by the ending and would like to see a second season. I can see why some people wouldnt like it, the humour is subtle and observational rather than stupid chibi moments, and i wont deny i laughed out loud quite regularly.

I was most happy to see an anime with romantic undertones where neither of the leads were complete fucking airhead saps.

• July 12, 2009 at 4:04 pmAriel