Macross Frontier – 10 »« Macross Frontier – 09

Random Musings – Raindrops on Roses

Macross Frontier OST Cover
  • I’ve been listening to the Macross Frontier soundtrack, and it’s every bit as wonderful as I hoped it’d be. I’m loving the tracks What ’bout my star (both versions), Big Boys (reminds me a lot of the Pirates of the Caribbean theme), and Innocent green. Oh and the Nyan Nyan song is as cute as ever. It’s going to be hard at the end of the year deciding whether this OST is better or the true tears one is – probably this because of all the vocal music (which isn’t to say that Yoko Kanno’s instrumentals aren’t great too). And that’s assuming the next Macross Frontier OST won’t be better.
  • I also managed to scrape together some time this weekend to watch a few episodes of the currently-running drama Zettai Kareshi. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it’s about a girl who gets a robot as her ideal boyfriend, and the love triangle and troubles that this leads to. That might sound silly, but it’s actually really entertaining. I was curious about this adaptation because I read the manga a long time ago, and though a lot of things have changed in the story, it’s still very very good. It has that same spark that I found in the Hana Yori Dango and Yamada Tarou Monogatari dramas – the perfect mix of comedy and romance drama. It can be very funny at times (especially the actor who plays Namikiri), and the romance and drama elements are slightly over the top – just the way I like it. I wish I were blogging it, but sadly I just can’t make the time commitment for a drama series right now (though I may try to next season or the season after that). On a side note, I had the theme song of this series, Okaeri by ayaka in my head all the way until today…when I started listening to the Macross Frontier soundtrack.
  • Also in the news, the official Mai-HiME/Otome website announced a new project. No details about it other than the name and character design of the new heroine, Mao (see the link). While I do wish Sunrise would develop more new original properties, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t curious what this one will be like, especially since S.ifr’s first episode was better than expected. Speaking of which, the second volume of S.ifr is due out July 25th.
  • June 3, 2008 at 8:15 am
    • June 3, 2008 at 8:25 amRes

hot

• June 3, 2008 at 8:30 amAznLegacy

Who’s the actor who plays the love doll in “Absolute Boyfriend”? He looks familiar…. >.<

• June 3, 2008 at 8:36 amblissmo

PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN?! Okay, I’m soo going to listen to the songs now!

• June 3, 2008 at 8:44 amyohkoyamamoto

Love the pix of Sheryl Nome. She’s really beautiful. :)

• June 3, 2008 at 9:02 amUnknownVoice

Hm. I am nearly certain that the new “mai hime” project is “Mai-Hime Destiny” novel adaptations…Since the main character has the same name there too(Mao)

• June 3, 2008 at 9:44 amoutcast

yay for dorama attention.
      I loved the sole drama serie blog. Made me wander into the drama watching

• June 3, 2008 at 10:29 amox2

Wow a new mai hime series…I agree with UnknownVoice…its probably the adaptation to the mai-hime destiny light novels. Which are pretty good. I love shizuru with a katana, its bad ass.

• June 3, 2008 at 10:59 amTokkan

No, it’s not an adaptation of MHD. Besides, that main character in that is called Mayo, not Mao.

• June 3, 2008 at 11:02 amWingZero zxt

Macross Sundtrack is Awesome its up in my top tem i think along with

1.Sousei no Aquarion
      2.Eureka 7
      3.Code Geass season 1 ALI Project ROCK!!!!!
      4.Gurren Lagann (with that many songs and variation of trhe same song youll find one u like eventually :P)
      5.G.I.T.S
      6. macross Frontier
      7. Claymore
      8.Naruto
      9.Nodame Cantibile
      10.Gundam 00

• June 3, 2008 at 11:14 amMiniMe

I was under the impression the album is due tomorrow the 4th… hmmmm mmmm!!!

• June 3, 2008 at 11:18 amfalconx0101

Loving the Macross OST too. Infinity more than exceeds my expectations.

• June 3, 2008 at 11:27 amOmni

AznLegacy: Hayami Mokomichi plays him.

• June 3, 2008 at 11:48 amSanDo

where i can download the OST ?

• June 3, 2008 at 11:56 amMiniMe

download!!!! WOTTT!!!!!
      dude buy it!!!!
      hXXp://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-mr-49-en-70-2p33.html

• June 3, 2008 at 12:02 pmSanDo

i wanna listen it first…^^

• June 3, 2008 at 12:11 pmMiniMe

Quote “i wanna listen it first…^^” Shame on you!!! typical excuse for Piracy.
      C’mon You can be do better than that.

• June 3, 2008 at 12:22 pmSanDo

“typical excuse for Piracy?”
      I have LOTS os original stuff.
      But i dont mind buy it before listen it once, at last( i only heard fragments in the episodes..)

good luck against the piracy , sailor !

• June 3, 2008 at 12:34 pmMiniMe

my bad… Just being cranky.. Havent eaten all day…lol
      flac version : #gamemp3s@irc.psigenix.net

• June 3, 2008 at 12:35 pmMiniMe

opps… not flac

• June 3, 2008 at 12:55 pmSlade

Been enjoying the soundtrack and it’s a lot better than expected. Just hoping my actual CD gets here this week cause I’d rather make my own MP3 rips with naming and such. Have a lot of Yoko Kanno’s CD soundtracks and love everyone of them to death.

• June 3, 2008 at 1:20 pmteutates

i’m listing to a bunch of songs from macross

Aimo ( ending epi7)
      the song from miss macross
      Infinity(epi 7 )
      Diamond Crevasse
      Iteza☆Gogo Kuji Don’t be late
      Nanairo ninjin ( carrot song )

All on this is on youtube :P

When the cd is out with al the songs of the series :P

I will buy it ofcourse ^_^

• June 3, 2008 at 1:23 pmkamina

i don’t think the new mai project is MHD…though I do hope the they can keep up the good work that they have done so far =)

3 cheers to the mai series!

• June 3, 2008 at 1:24 pmWestlo

The only anime score touching Yoko Kanno’s Macross Frontier one is Taku Iwasaki’s Soul Eater, True Tears would be in 3rd place from Winter + Spring. Though I guess a few spring series could do a gundam seed and have an incredible second half after a decent first.

• June 3, 2008 at 2:36 pmStory

Yes! Time for Mai HiME Destiny!

• June 3, 2008 at 3:28 pmmutio

Macross Frontier OST OWNS. It’s really damn good – the best Anime OST I’ve heard since a long time (besides the ARIA OSTS of course :).

• June 3, 2008 at 3:29 pmmutio

Ah and of course: Mai Otome FTW!!! YAY :D

• June 3, 2008 at 3:46 pmUnknownVoice

@mutio
      Sorry but no.

Mai Hime ftw. Mai Otome aka “The biggest lame otaku joke ever” should have never existed in first place.

• June 3, 2008 at 4:51 pmmutio

Mai Hime is good but the ending totaly sucks. Also if Mai Otome wouldn’t have been that good I doubt, that Sunrise would have created Mai Otome Zwei and Zifr and now this next unknown series/ova.

• June 3, 2008 at 4:53 pmUnknownVoice

@mutio
      first – its not confirmed that these new series will be for otome. The Mao designs seem to be more hime-ish (the uniform)
      second – the fact that it sold well does not mean that it had quality – sunrise already did the same with their previous FAIL, known as Gundam Seed.

• June 3, 2008 at 5:32 pmWingZero zxt

Infinity or atleast the begining sounds a tiny bitlike kimi wa boku ni niteiru from gundam seed

• June 3, 2008 at 6:25 pmKaioshin Sama

Well really Sunrise is one of t
      he only companies doing original works these days so I find it strange that you would be asking something they frequently deliver Omni. Unless you mean like a whole new starter franchise from scratch rather then an expansion that isn’t an adaptation, which I’m sure isn’t too far off. There’s at least one every year. Really though in this day and age, a franchise expansion itself is a blessing considering most companies seem afraid to even….well have franchises of their own with which to expand and would sooner adapt a manga or game (I could go on for a while about stagnation of the market and a few good men, but really…..). Sunrise, Bones and when they are up to it, Gainax seem to be among the only TV Series producers who are coming up with new franchise ideas.

Then again, I’m not at all impressed with the idea of a new Mai series and would have taken anything else before that, but beggars can’t be choosers. They just don’t have to be watchers.

As for the Macross Frontier OST, so far I’ve liked every song except for the opening and that one they play pre-launch a lot of the time. It sounds to folksy and doesn’t do anything to build tension before heading into battle. It’s probably not so much a poor BGM in that it’s just misusd in my opinion.

• June 3, 2008 at 8:16 pmdward

Macross Frontier OST is packed with full of ‘goodies’! There are quite a handful of songs in the anime that you can only find in the OST! Especially Ranka’s Ninji-n Loves you yeah!

• June 3, 2008 at 8:29 pmwere

Macross F ost is great although i hope there is clean version of the ‘what bout my star’ song( just my preference, I dont quite like the cheering at the end of it). Yoko Kanno really genius in composing music love the ‘big boys’ theme, and the 23 second nyan-nan cm will goes to my ringtone :P
      Thanks for sharing the info OMNI

• June 3, 2008 at 8:44 pmMagnus

Excellent soundtrack, I am just very sad that Rankas version of “My boyfriend is a pilot” isn´t in it. :(

• June 3, 2008 at 9:20 pmJimmy

“Ninji-n Loves you yeah!” is so CUTE I could die. But my favorite song has got to be “Infinity”. Too bad that “My boyfriend is a pilot” song isn’t on here, I really liked Ranka’s version of it.

• June 3, 2008 at 9:38 pmNeutrinos

I think the adaptation of Absolute Boyfriend was done quite horribly, the only similarities between the manga and the drama are the theme of dutch husbands and the names of the characters =P

• June 3, 2008 at 11:02 pmtsuchiro

@jimmy : its going to be on nakajima megumi’s debut single which is being releases on June 25th along with interstellar flight and ai oboete imasu ka

• June 3, 2008 at 11:03 pmYukiruchan

Is still waiting for it to download..

@Omni
      Thx for all the recommendations!
      I love these kind of posts.

• June 3, 2008 at 11:56 pmmai

You cropped Ranka and her blob phone out of that photo. XD

• June 4, 2008 at 10:45 pmdeadguy

I like the orchestra pieces in the Macross OST but I like the true tears OST better as a whole.. ^^

• June 5, 2008 at 9:25 amlightbringer

Mai-whatever is probably the only series where a 14-yr old virgin can be a biological mother and a former queen at the same time – next they will tell us that she’s actually a boy :) Surely I misunderstood something about the setting of S.ifr, but that whole franchise is just not worth watching like Kaioshin pointed out. It’s a bit disappointing but I suppose there is sufficient demand for yet another Mai-Otome sequel on the market.

The Macross music has been on the whole underwhelming so far, but it’s not plain bad like in many other anime, so one can’t complain too much.

• June 5, 2008 at 9:50 amWingZero zxt

What language is the song Aimo in?

• June 5, 2008 at 1:36 pmWingZero zxt

Wow lightbringer bringing light and joy to an otherwise positive blog about the subject :P
      Are you not a fan of Yoko Kanno then?

• June 5, 2008 at 8:04 pmlightbringer

WingZero, sorry if I managed to offend your delicate eyes :) Actually, I am a big fan of Kanno Yoko. Especially all of her songs that are performed by Origa, and a number of other GitS pieces. That doesn’t mean that I will automatically like everything she puts out, though.

• June 7, 2008 at 12:28 pmchris

omg the starting of “big boys” just screamed PotC!