Lucky Star – OVA »« Lucky Star – 24 (END)

The Daily Dose

07 30 2008
  • It was announced in Megami Magazine that there is a Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha movie coming early next year. The movie will not be a reedit of the first series but will instead be an alternate retelling.
  • Romantic comedy manga Asu no Yoichi! is getting an anime adaptation.
  • Upcoming fall series Kemeko Deluxe! now has an official blog.
  • The official website for upcoming fall series To Aru Majutsu no Index is now hosting a promo video.
  • The TV anime adaptation for Kyou no Go no Ni has been confirmed for this fall.
  • The official website for the upcoming Goku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei OADs is now open.
  • And finally, here’s an odd story: Yesterday’s Wall Street Journal front-paged an article about Lucky Star and how it’s affecting the Washinomiya Shrine area. You may remember this topic from various sources all throughout last year when Lucky Star popularity was at its peak. Now, I understand that the WSJ editors like to use non-standard stories that relate to businesses and people making money, and it’s cool to see something from our neck of the woods make it into the mainstream, but I still have to question the newsworthiness of this article for their front page, never mind the fact that they also included pictures of crossplayers. Perhaps I’m just holding the Wall Street Journal to too high a standard. Thanks Keith for the heads-up.
  • If you find anything that you think I should mention on any particular day’s Daily Dose, please send me an email with the words “ANIME NEWS” somewhere in the subject line.
  • Original artwork at left courtesy of 計算 on pixiv (account needed to access)

July 31, 2008 at 7:08 am
    • July 31, 2008 at 7:23 amzeromax

Loads of animes this fall… Hate to be doing the summary for next season Omni ^_^’

• July 31, 2008 at 7:26 amjopchan121

Yes. While it is cool to see LS on such a newspaper…..why in the heck did they have to use those pics? They make my eyes bleed.

• July 31, 2008 at 7:58 amKaito

Yes, way to propel the image of anime-watchers being middle-aged sickos who still watch “cartoons”. =P

• July 31, 2008 at 8:28 amAndy

From a town that was barely making money to some otaku heaven because the author of a slice of life 4-panel manga used it as a setting. I can only say this: Wow.

• July 31, 2008 at 8:40 amtheDoor

Asu no Yoichi! – Woooo !
      first Kanokon , now Sekirei and later Asu no Yoichi =)

• July 31, 2008 at 9:26 amTerence

i would like to have a look on dat article on wall street journal ^o^

• July 31, 2008 at 9:49 amdeadguy

w00t! Today in Class 5-2 TV!

• July 31, 2008 at 10:49 amKnowngni

Way to go Wall Street Journal!, thanks for propelling the stereotype that we’re all a bunch weirdos who love cross dressing into our favorite cartoon character’s miniskirt….

the way the article was worded you actually might have thought 300,000 people showed up in miniskirt

• July 31, 2008 at 11:53 amFreeter

I used to see WSJ’s commercials, and that LS piece is something I’d never expect them to run.

Maybe they thought it would lighten the mood from all the depressing economy stories…

• July 31, 2008 at 12:48 pmlametastic

WSJ was bought by News Corp. This is what happens to your newspaper when you’re bought by Murdoch’s empire of EVIL and fOX.

• July 31, 2008 at 12:57 pmyaho!

kyou no go no ni is going to be a series is a great news to me i really like the ova’s before but it’s a bit of disappointment also cus when i check out some info about it most of the episodes came from the ova’s only 2 episode wasnt included on the ova’s that r new on the series.

thnx so much omni for the news

• July 31, 2008 at 1:47 pmTryptomine

Yeah… I don’t really expect anything owned by Murdoch to have standards. Still, I suppose the story is rather amusing to see.

• July 31, 2008 at 1:53 pmStory

I read the Lucky Star article yesterday.

I think any-one with no knowledge of anime/Lucky Star/Japan would get the impression that the Japanese are frickin’ insane upon reading it. :P It was just nice to see it there, though.

• July 31, 2008 at 2:00 pmFX102

Glad about the Kyou no Go no Ni series, I enjoyed the OVA as it was funny, enjoyable, relaxing and cute all rolled into one. Of course the OVA covered almost all the original material, so is it gonna be like a remake or completely new?

Also, To Aru Majutsu no Index sounds humurous, looking forward to the Fall 2008 Preview, even though I already know which will be my No.1 show for that period (or at least the next 2 quarters).

• July 31, 2008 at 2:51 pmChicle

I don’t think anyone would expect WSJ to put something like that in their papers, let alone front page.

• July 31, 2008 at 3:59 pmAvisch

Heh. I figured “Ashita no Yoichi!” would get an anime announcement by the end of this year.
      I figured if Sekirei got an anime, it was only a matter of time.

• July 31, 2008 at 4:24 pmnegima1228

omg, is it just me or 2008 anime are mostly adopt from manga? Shina Dark (not sure when it will broadcast), Ashita no Yoichi, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Toradora, Sekirei, Kemeko, and Special A.

• July 31, 2008 at 7:42 pmA Person

Hmmm… I always thought Kagami was rather masculine. lol~

• August 1, 2008 at 12:44 amAvisch

negima1228:

“To Aru Majutsu no Index” and “Toradora!” are light novels originally.

• August 1, 2008 at 1:20 amtau-tau

@negima1228.
      The majority of anime are adapted from light novels or manga, so is it really surprising?

Am I the only one here happy to see we have more zetsubou sensei..? :O
      Ugh, that WSJ article. It’s really like the Japanese media with how they bring the stereotypical image of an anime fan (not even an otaku) being middle-aged, filthy, antisocial and psychologically unstable people – just like Kaito says. And thanks to the Akihabara massacre incident, that sort of image is further cemented into the public’s image of what Akihabara-goers are like, which gets on my nerves. I’m with you on this Omni, I can’t believe the Wall Street Journal will stoop to this level.

But then again, Newscorp has always done things in this manner. It makes me remember FOX news giving a 10 minute news report on how Maplestory is dangerous for kids and their parents’ wallets, or why the Nintendo DS’s pictochat feature can be used by “kidnappers.”
      All I can say is UGH.

• August 1, 2008 at 11:06 amPeanutbutter003

Now, that WSJ article was very interesting. But I agree with the view that people unaware of the otaku culture will seriously think otakus are miniskirt, wig-wearing weirdos…

• August 1, 2008 at 12:31 pmfalconx0101

Cant’ wait for the new Nanoha movie or the Goku Zetsubou Sensei OADs. XD

• August 1, 2008 at 2:35 pmArf

Kanarazu I’ll watch Nanoha movie nano!!!!! XD

• August 1, 2008 at 4:21 pmHirvine

Aww, I’ve read about the Nanoha movie, but you actually announces the ‘content’. I thought they would ‘re-cap’ the few first episodes or in that kind. However an alternate retelling makes it very interested, so they didn’t agree on a certain point ..

• August 1, 2008 at 11:45 pmWD40

why the sudden blocking of IE from the site??

• August 2, 2008 at 3:05 amOmni

WD40: That problem should be fixed now.

• August 3, 2008 at 3:31 amShippoyasha

You’re complaining about Wall Street Journal putting up an interesting article up front? Why the heck is that a problem?