Concerning the Poll

As you may have noticed, the Reader’s Choice poll is showing wildly inaccurate vote totals right now, much of it thanks a few individuals who thought that ballot stuffing would be cute. Now part of this is my own fault for not having the correct poll settings to prevent this kind of cheating and so that the results weren’t visible until the conclusion of the poll, but unfortunately I don’t have the time to tinker with it and run a second poll.

So what does this mean? I’ve closed the poll early, and network admin Maestro and I have gone through the database of votes. We found that the last legitimate total before the massive ballot stuffing began was at approximately 7AM server time. We’re going to take the results at that time and go with it since it’s pretty clear who the winner will be anyway. Final results for all choices will be posted tomorrow with my Best of 2008 post.

In the future, we’ll be looking at alternate, more secure solutions for polling.

December 30, 2008 at 5:20 pm
  • December 31, 2008 at 8:53 pmTyphonsentra

Sad thing is even without stuffing Geass will still win. Unbelievable.

• December 31, 2008 at 9:11 pmLelouch

It’s not unbelieveable. It’s just a well liked series, and there is nothing wrong with that, now is there? Just because your beloved series “_______” didn’t win, doesn’t mean you have the right to bash everything else, now do you?

• December 31, 2008 at 9:11 pmKannie

Well, even though I don’t think Geass deserves to win since I think there were probably other series that were better. But just because of how entertaining it was and because other shows didn’t really manage to keep me watching till the end like S2 did, so I voted for Geass. I mean, it’s just a vote…no need for stuffing, I mean it’s all opinions of who likes what and stuff….

• December 31, 2008 at 9:25 pmKannie

haha, and it’s funny how the Geass bashing continues even awhile after it ends…but then again it includes me…..oops.

• January 1, 2009 at 12:21 amArveene

Hmmm.. I might have voted like three times then. I thought my vote just wasn’t being counted when I kept seeing the votebox come up again. =x

• January 1, 2009 at 3:47 amAsuka

lol at all the Geass bashing :D
    Anime is ENTERTAINMENT, not some higher art form. Napoleon Dynamite, anyone? Not that I thought that movie was funny, but /some/ people liked it. Geass was awesome precisely because it was retarded. I loved the dysfunctional and crazy characters, the memes were pure win, and it was just overall a very enjoyable show. Stuff is popular for a reason, get over it.

• January 1, 2009 at 4:54 amDearka

i have already voted on the day the poll was created and i’m sure all of u know code geass r2 would win as its the best anime 2008, somemore code geass season 1 is also the best in 2007

• January 1, 2009 at 9:15 amNumberOne

Fuck Yeah! Ballot stuffing! Power of Python!

It’s not that I hate Code Geass, I like it. But it doesn’t deserve to be rated the ‘best’ because some idiots aren’t willing to watch anything other than the biggest budget, biggest hype stuff, then pretend their opinions really matter. Look in your hearts, you’ll see what I say has wisdom

• January 1, 2009 at 9:50 amMelchior

Not that it means anything, but I voted for ARIA.

The best underappreciated franchise of all time.

• January 1, 2009 at 10:55 amRya

[quote] Look in your hearts, you’ll see what I say has wisdom [quote]

It’s ironic to see the word ‘wisdom’ being included in a reply that is mostly lack of it.

• January 1, 2009 at 11:38 amMatroid

Any future poll needs to group by genre. Otherwise there can’t be any meaningful comparison. True Tears is a great show in the romantic genre. I don’t object comparing it against Clannad and the like. But it is futile to compare it against Code Geass or Striker Witch (both suck big time, by the way).

• January 1, 2009 at 1:40 pmNajaflow

I vote for One Outs

• January 1, 2009 at 1:47 pmAnonymooo

“The amount of geass-haters amuse me. 50% of them are mad that their favorite show is not getting attention, 30% just hate anything popular, and the last 20% are just copying the first 70%. You see, someone who does not like Code Geass will not waste any time hating it. They will just disreagrd it. Those who complain about it are the haters.”

That’s kinda how it goes. I enjoyed Geass R2, but it was far from the best show of the season for me. Having a new Macross was a big deal, and it was nice to get a new Slayers, but Kaiji pretty much stole it for just how freakin’ original it ended up being. Everything from the idea to the art style gave off a more Western vibe, and that really did it for me.

• January 1, 2009 at 3:03 pmsim

Code Geass R2 == Prison Break S4, plot wise

• January 1, 2009 at 4:26 pmreggie

kurenai was my vote

• January 1, 2009 at 4:37 pmThe Middle Finger From Russia

• January 1, 2009 at 4:59 pmBaki

@Melchior

I did the exact same thing for the same reason.

• January 1, 2009 at 7:23 pmMugen

My conclusion from reading all the above comments and based on my personal opinion/taste

Code Geass Rs is obviously overrated (not to mention it was full of plotholes), Kaiba deserves to win it by a mile but never will, shows like Natsume Yuujin-chou and Mouryou no Hako deserve to be placed higher, and Rya is obviously an idiot.

• January 1, 2009 at 8:37 pmZenzen

@Mugen:
    “Kaiba deserves to win it by a mile but never will” then you should go read what the poll was about again: “Favorite Anime 2008″. FAVORITE. If CG wins it means it was the most entertaining anime/has the biggest fanbase etc., thus it is the favorite anime for the majority, which doesn’t imply it was the best. Maybe Kaiba had better plot, characters etc but still wasn’t as entertaining as CG.

Most people don’t really care how perfect a show is, but whether they like it or not. Why do people have to be so butthurt and bash CG all the time. Sorry for enjoying geass and not having as sophisticated taste as most of you, geez…

• January 1, 2009 at 9:15 pmChocoBar

@Zenzen
    And that’s exactly the point, R2 sure as hell isn’t Series of the Year potential and the only defense it has is that it was “entertaining” but even the trashiest anime can be considered “entertaining by the lot of you, but seriously there’s no need to bash it since as Omni said it was a landslide which series was gonna win anyways plus you guys are acting as if it’ll win every single damn category which isn’t the case and considering it was lacking and some departments other series excelled at (Music: Macross Frontier, Action: Gundam 00, etc) Reader’s Coice would be the only award it wins which isn’t saying much. God I wish Omni would just hurry up and interested into his input into this year.

• January 2, 2009 at 12:22 amAsuka

@Zenzen
    True that. People are totally missing the point. Can anyone honestly say that any show was bigger than Geass this year?

• January 2, 2009 at 12:35 amRya

[quote] Man, I love how some people defend R2, Rya does a great job to point out why it fails. As for the nun, her origins remain unknown, to say that she was the leader of a cult that was researching the geass, well you sure do have some imagination. As for the Geass Directorate, problaby were created by Britannia to research the geass ability and to create people like Rolo. [quote]

Man, I love how some people doesn’t know what they are talking about. You did a great job pointing out that your reply is a spectacular failure.

Ha, Geass Directorate created by Brittania. If that was the case VV would’ve been its creator, which is not the case: he succeeded the position from CC, suggesting that there was indeed a line of previous leaders.

• January 2, 2009 at 1:18 pmThe Middle Finger From Russia

Why do I have to repeat myself. I said Brittania created the Geass Directorate, not VV or Charles zi Britannia. If you don’t understand then you have a problem. Since Charles is 98th Emperor, what makes you think a previews Emperor did not create the Geass Directorate.

• January 2, 2009 at 2:48 pmThe Middle Finger From Russia

Why do I have to repeat myself? I’ve said Brittania created the Geass Directorate, not VV or Charles zi Britannia. If you don’t understand then you have a problem. Since Charles is 98th Emperor, what makes you think a previous emperor did not create the Geass Directorate. (sorry for the above comment)

• January 3, 2009 at 12:00 pmDryCleaner

Ialready thought the poll wasn’t right. For some reason.

• January 3, 2009 at 12:05 pmRya

My statement stands. There was a line of previous Geass leaders. Who created the directorate in the first place was unknown. The show simply showed that by the time of Charles’ reign it was under the command of his brother. You should heed your own advice about imagining things.

• January 3, 2009 at 5:28 pmThe Middle Finger From Russia

“The show simply showed that by the time of Charles’ reign it was under the command of his brother.”
    First. VV immortality it’s never explained, the only thing obvious about him is that he became immortal at the early age of 10. Long before Charles and VV ever met Marianne and CC. Considering that VV is Charles twin brother. This partially explains the conection between Britannia and the Geass Dir.
    Second. Of course CC was a natural choice for leading the Geass Dir, since she dates back from medieval times, her knowledge on the geass ability exceeds that of VV. This is confirmed when both Marianne and CC make the same vow as Charles and VV, about a world free of lies and all that shit.
    To cut a long story short: Britannia creates the Geass Dir(who and when are unknown); VV gets his immortality from them; Charles and VV meet Marianne and CC; Marianne and CC agree to help Charles and VV; CC becomes the leader of the Geass Dir; Marianne is killed by VV; CC leaves the Geass Dir; VV takes over. End of story.
    Now please explain VV place in your theory?

• January 4, 2009 at 1:46 amRya

Facts: The Directorate has a line of previous leaders. CC commented that each time a new leader is chosen the base of operation changes. VV succeeded his position from CC.

Unknowns: Whoever established the Directorate in the first place was not revealed.

There’s no evidence whatsoever from the show suggesting that Britannia had created the Directorate. Your off-topic blabbering about VV and CC aren’t going to change that. It’s amusing though to see you desperately writing a huge block of texts that did anything but proving your claim.

• January 4, 2009 at 1:10 pmThe Middle Finger From Russia

“The Directorate has a line of previous leaders.” You just confirmed what I said. That VV got his immortality from a previous Directorate leader. As for “writing a huge block of texts”, I guess you do have a short memory. Who was “writing huge block of texts” about millennia old cults.

• January 6, 2009 at 4:28 pmshiki

Dmonhiro I have never heard anything more true in my life!!!!

• February 11, 2009 at 9:54 pmrottenkitty

sigh.
    It’s like the creators of CG took a poll of otaku’s about what they like most about animes. And they got “Cute Girls” “fanservice” “mecha”. Then made a anime with all 3 and added ‘plottwists’ to try and pass it off as a plot-oriented series.

• February 22, 2010 at 10:20 pmYahoouj

Really good work about this website was done. Keep trying more – thanks!

• « Older Comments