CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ – 20 »« CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ – 18

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~ – 19

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   01 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   02 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   03
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   04 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   05 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   06
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   07 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   08 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   09
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   10 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   11 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   12
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   13 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   14 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   15
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   16 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   17 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   18
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   19 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   20 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   21
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   22 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   23 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   24
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   25 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   26 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   27
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   28 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   29 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   30
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   31 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   32 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   33
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   34 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   35 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   36
CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   37 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   38 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   39

Summary:

Upon his return to the Furukawa home with Ushio, Tomoya enters Nagisa’s old room and finds it just like it used to be. He apologizes to Sanae for making her and Akio take care of Ushio all this time, and he promises to raise her himself from now on. After a round of baseball – in which he hits Akio’s pitch – and eating and drinking with family, he and Ushio go to bed, but Tomoya wakes up later that night and hears Akio and Sanae talking. Akio knows that Sanae hasn’t cried since that day, so Sanae explains that she had to raise Ushio. That leads to Akio noting how Ushio has helped them considerably, but he realizes that it’s over now. He feels that it’s Sanae’s turn to cry and vows to stay by her side until she stops, and Tomoya then hears her start crying.

The next morning, Tomoya takes Ushio to kindergarten before heading to work, and while he’s there, he hears the other mothers gossiping about him. Instead of getting angry, he introduces himself to them and explains his situation. He goes back to pick Ushio up midday and brings her to her new home, but since he has to return to work, he leaves her there alone. When Tomoya comes back later, he brings with him all of Ushio’s stuff from the Furukawa house, including Nagisa’s three stuffed dango. He and Ushio then head out and happen to run into Kouko at the park. Tomoya had heard from Yuusuke that Kouko’s sister had been released from the hospital, and Fuuko turns out to there with Kouko. Fuuko doesn’t like Tomoya patting her on the head, but she does take an immediate liking to Ushio, hugs her, and wants to make Ushio her little sister. Later that night, at bedtime, Tomoya watches as Ushio hugs one of the stuffed dango, and Ushio explains how Sanae told her that it holds the smell of her mother.

The following day, Tomoya takes Ushio to see his own father. His old home is still a mess, and he has to turn off the radio to get his father to realize that he’s there. After introducing Ushio, Tomoya tells his father of how he met his grandmother and how he remembered what happened in the past. He knows that his father is tired and suggests that it’s okay for his father to return home to the countryside and rest. Looking at Ushio for a moment, Tomoya’s father wonders if he’s done, so Tomoya tells him that he’s done enough since he used his entire life to raise his son. Tomoya’s father now understands that he was done before he realized it, and he’s glad. Tomoya then helps his father clean up the house and himself, and he also helps his father pack for the trip.

When it comes time to send his father off, Tomoya tells his father to take care of himself by not drinking or smoking. With each additional thing he says, he is reminded of how his father had taken care of him when he was young, and he can’t help but start crying. Tomoya pulls himself back together after seeing Ushio concerned about him, and he thanks his father for everything up to now. As he watches his father walk off, Tomoya wonders if his father was happy, and he thinks about how his father lost the one he loved at the happiest time and how his father worked hard for an ungrateful son like him. Ushio meanwhile notices a bright light float down from the sky and touch her father’s chest, but when she tries to say something about the light, Tomoya thinks that she’s commenting on how bright the sun is.

CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   Preview 01 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   Preview 02 CLANNAD ~AFTER STORY~   19   Preview 03

Well, there were several more touching moments this week, none of them quite at the level of the final scene from last episode, but they still got me a little teary-eyed. One was when Sanae was talking/crying to Akio and another was the obviously emotional scene when Tomoya tries to tell his father to take care of himself and remembers all that his father had done for him. It’s good though to see Tomoya finally be able to face his father and send him home, and I thought the light appearing at the end – i.e. a symbol happiness when Tomoya was wondering if his father was happy – was a nice touch. What was interesting was that Ushio noticed it but Tomoya didn’t seem to – did he pass that ability on to her or something?

This episode also started to get back to some of the more light-hearted, normal daily life stuff. For one, Fuuko showed back up and was as amusing as ever. I thought she would have matured physically after so many years, but she still looks like she’s in grade school despite being the same age as Tomoya. There were also several hints that Kyou is Ushio’s kindergarten teacher – the long hair, the picture of Botan that Ushio drew, plus the fact that Kyou always wanted to be a kindergarten teacher – so I would guess that she’ll reappear soon.

Speaking of which (and I make this jump in thought based on the fact that Kyou was a girl that Tomoya could have technically ended up with), I noticed that Tomoya is still wearing his wedding band in the scene where he wiped food off Ushio’s face, and it made me wonder if he’d ever consider remarrying. I doubt it’s on his mind right now, and it’s probably out of the scope of this series, but it’s not impossible – I’m suddenly reminded of the special Tomoyo episode. Regardless, for next week, it looks like they’ll just be focusing Tomoya’s happy times with his daughter.

February 20, 2009 at 9:46 am
  • February 20, 2009 at 9:51 amLia

I saw it last night. I was also happy to see Tomoya still wore the wedding ring. Ushio was simply adorable as always.

• February 20, 2009 at 9:53 amDH

We should all know who ushio’s teacher is right? xD

• February 20, 2009 at 9:54 amSky

I’m dying to see this. Sadly I’m one of many that needs a decent subbed version :)

• February 20, 2009 at 10:12 amwhitey-chan

well, it’s pretty obvious that Kyou is Ushio’s kindergarten teacher, it was already shown in the opening so many times, right? I’m also hoping for TomoyaXKyou ending. :D

• February 20, 2009 at 10:12 amUnknown

Ha ha Ushio is finally wearing something else beside her school uniform =)

• February 20, 2009 at 10:21 amxternalq

Real Fuuko is back in action…………………….

• February 20, 2009 at 10:59 amKenecix

Fuuko is Back!!!!

• February 20, 2009 at 11:14 amDan

Well shoot.
    I DAAAAAAAAWWWW’d at this episode I admit.
    The light orb scene also made me nod my head in interest as if they werent continuing a certain ending, they wouldnt show it.

SPeaking of Show Spoiler ▼

• February 20, 2009 at 11:23 ammiso and soup

I’m wondering how they’re going to pull off the final ending now~ I mean, now the orbs of light are being seen by Usio, but I always interpretted as Tomoya being the ones who saw them~

Only time will tell XD

• February 20, 2009 at 11:59 amEarl

Just to let you guys know that Newtype has already leaked the ending to this series.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:05 pmmegalith

A very moving episode. Not as epic as ep 18 but still very moving.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:19 pmSuperscooper

Earl don’t just spit out unconfirmed info.. what I know is that they are following the visual novel and that wasn’t how it ended.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:26 pmNanami Kamimura

“I thought she [Fuuko] would have matured physically after so many years, but she still looks like she’s in grade school despite being the same age as Tomoya.”

Well, from what I’ve gathered (at least from a few sources), sleeping for long periods of time slows the ageing process, which may make sense, considering she’s in the hospital for (I think) several years.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:32 pmHammerElf

Wow that’s a really big coincidence. When I was watching the opening credits I was surprised when I noticed that Fuuko was there and then she suddenly appeared in the episode. I liked the references to the game with Tomoya breaking the window and patting Fuuko on the head.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:37 pmalpha

I cant’t wait to see Kyou-sensei :D

• February 20, 2009 at 12:50 pmDiss

@Earl

• February 20, 2009 at 12:53 pmJulian

In the opening Fuuko shows up hugging Ushio and this episode proves that what happens in the intro usually will occur in the show. So yes, Kyou will also make her appearance as Ushio’s kindergarten teacher as seen in the opening.

Even though it is possible, it is highly improbable. I strongly doubt that Tomoya will remarry within this season. I can’t imagine any of the girls accepting let alone trying to be a replacement for Nagisa. The closest thing we’d probably get is an alternate world episode like last season, where Tomoya dates Tomoyo and Nagisa is hardly a part of the story.

• February 20, 2009 at 12:56 pmOnm

• February 20, 2009 at 1:01 pmladymuffin

I personally believe that having a Kyou ending would spoil the mood of the story, and honestly, I really don’t think that Kyou is a good enough replacement for Nagisa. But then, who really is?
    I would rather they devote more time to Ushio and Tomoya’s relationship and the orbs. As much as I enjoy a good romantic ending, I think this series doesn’t need one, and any ending like that would seem rushed.
    Yay Fuuko! I was happy to see that my prediction that she was coming back was correct. They handled her really well in this episode and kept her there just long enough to be funny.

• February 20, 2009 at 1:08 pmramen

here are the spoilers for the rest of season i read

• February 20, 2009 at 2:59 pmrice ball

I thought ushio is Show Spoiler ▼

Thats what I thought started watching this series at episode 16 ^_^

• February 20, 2009 at 3:03 pmX

I am actually hoping that Tomoya would get remarried, and I think that if anyone should be more suitable or possible for that matter is Kyou. If I’m not mistaken, Ushio likes Kyou, and we all know Kyou likes Tomoya. I think that besides from improving Ushio’s relationship with Tomoya, it would be better as well to show that Tomoya moved on and accepted Nagisa’s death. Also Ushio needs a mother, I mean I actually thought that Tomoya would still leave Ushio into Sanae and Akio’s cuz he has to work almost all day (even overtime in his job – since it takes him to all places), so is he just going to leave Ushio all alone in his house?

It would be somewhat the same as what he had went through, where in his childhood, he was left alone in the house, since his father was busy with his job, which made Tomoya thought that he didn’t care about him and started living on his own. Despite the fact that all along, his father cared about him and just had a hard time to show it. So it would be far better to have someone take care of Ushio in the house, since Sanae can’t probably do it anymore, due to her bakery and tutoring. IMO Kyou would be perfect for the job, she’s her kindergarten teacher so they can practically spend time together all day, at home and school, and just wait for Tomoya to come home from work. The other girls are nowhere near or close to Ushio: Tomoyo probably moved out of the city, Ryou probably has a boyfriend, Yukine’s nowhere to be heard off, Kotomi is in America, and Fuuko well, she’s Fuuko (just as Tomoya had quoted: “I don’t know why, but I feel something that’s completely opposite of being in a romantic relationship with her”). Also the best mother figure and can actually take care of kids is Kyou, the best candidate. Well one could hope.

• February 20, 2009 at 3:13 pmPrecise Moment

this is speculation but they will most likely do some sort of time warp back to the past, which is what i assume those light orbs represent, a way to save nagisa from dying. the robot is most likely tomoya and the girl is ushio who gives tomoya a chance to save nagisa. (just a guess) i could be way off and they might actually just go with a different ending altogether. i have a feeling something unexpected / tragic will happen to ushio since everything is too perfect for a series with 5-6 episodes left.
    i liked this episode alot though, its good to see the emotional levels have not declined.

• February 20, 2009 at 3:20 pmChimasternmay

la la la la kool, episode still, la la la la aaaaa til next week again. seems happy then im happy la la la la

• February 20, 2009 at 3:28 pmShadowmagius

These last episodes were good and i almost cried it was so good. I really want nagisa back and im happy that fuko is out of the hospital. Show Spoiler ▼

• February 20, 2009 at 3:56 pmBettiePage

Tomoyo did not move out of the city… if you saw the movie you would see that she comes by often to help Tomoya out at his place, cooks/cleans etc. You dont really see that in TV since it time jumped 5 years and the explanation on that time is focused on Tomoya and not any of the girls in his life. Not sure about the game.

• February 20, 2009 at 4:11 pmAnonymous

I cried manly tears at Naoyuki’s farewell. That scene is one of the greatest tearjerkers.

• February 20, 2009 at 4:16 pmPachi

uuh se ve bien ya mejora la relacion de padre-hijo de tomoya voy a buskar el raw mas rato!!!! >.<

• February 20, 2009 at 4:29 pmMegas

Diss, that was awesome…lols at “rest of Japan”.

• February 20, 2009 at 4:45 pmDrakron

“Made me wonder if he’d ever consider remarrying.”

Oh, you … like there is no shinny reset button in the game.

• February 20, 2009 at 5:23 pmHerr Pessimist

Oh yeshhh! The Fuuko is backk ! :D

• February 20, 2009 at 5:41 pmDan

Alright guys.
    Bad rumors floating around.
    for 1 don’t listen to the newtype release because I can tell its going to be differant.

Now its time for my reasonably accurate episode predictions starting with next week:

And thats that for this arc. I HOPE we will get some awesome extra story episodes out of this too. It would be neat seeing a tomoyo after anime and heck, even some kappei, akio, school life, and other little side stories which were in the visual novel (There were many. the trapped in the closet and the basketball game each had roughly 9 differant variations)

• February 20, 2009 at 5:48 pmMike

The calm before the Storm is all I can say.
    If any of you done any research on Clanned then you all know whats going to happen next.
    All I can say is I probably would have kill myself then to go thru this next big events in Tomoya life.

• February 20, 2009 at 5:59 pmslammyhome

i hope we see a Tomoya x kyou ending, i was hoping for this originally. i pray my fantasies will come true :-)

• February 20, 2009 at 6:00 pmStory

FU-CHAN! FU-CHAN! FU-CHAN!

FU-CHAANNN!

SHE’S BACK! SHE’S BACK!

JOYFUL REJOICING, COMMENCE!

• February 20, 2009 at 6:05 pmblank space

Funny, if anyone here knew Kyou from the VN, they’ll know that she has the lowest probability of hooking up with Tomoya.

• February 20, 2009 at 6:20 pmbeeboobeeboo

If possible, I hope KyoAni would give the audience a surprise and make it a TomoyaxKotomi ending :P

• February 20, 2009 at 6:36 pmbeeboobeeboo

sorry, I meant KotomixKyou :P

• February 20, 2009 at 6:38 pmROFLWAFFLELAWL

In the preview there was a guest coming over. Kyou perhaps?

Anyways this episode (the end with Tomoya remembering all the tings his father did for him) was very touching. I teared (maybe even cried) as much as I did in the last ep.

I wish they had a bit of a touching remembrance episode with Fuuko though. And they explained that even though she’s the same age as Tomoya because she was asleep this whole time her mind is still at a High School level.

As for the light I don’t think Tomoya lost the ability to see the light. Maybe it has something to do with not being able to see your own light of happiness? Or see the light that has anything to do with you (for this it would be the relation with him and his father).

• February 20, 2009 at 7:11 pmronin

Ushio… kawaii!!!

and where is Kyou-Sensei???

• February 20, 2009 at 9:45 pmcutemi2

Fuuko is back, more carving Starfish, or hugging Ushio

• February 20, 2009 at 10:24 pmñ

LOOOOL
    I will laugh to people that are making all those pairings

• February 20, 2009 at 10:48 pmMY GAWD>

HORRAH, for the re-introduction with FUKO. Damn I missed her, she wasn’t in this for HOW LONG? :D. Also, in one word, AWESOME.

• February 20, 2009 at 11:16 pmDivini

Ushio is the most adorable character ever <3

• February 21, 2009 at 12:29 amithekro

Shipping is bad. Stop now. This isn’t a harem anime anymore. It is far too late for there to be any other ending than the game’s actual ending.

The only way you will get a Kyou ending is if they do an Alternate Universe story like they did for Tomoyo last season…and that will be after we have the True Ending. (Such a thing would start back up while they are in school…with the whole Ryou/Kyou arc…and most of you won’t like it because it is mostly Ryou from my understanding.) There are no other girls paths into After Story…only Nagisa to Ushio.

• February 21, 2009 at 12:52 amthousandmaster

im sooo sad >.<,i wanna to cry to much alote and thx god fuuko is back im soo happy and im sad im cry too much alote what should i do now :( im thinking to much im soo touch the store clannad alote and im fun love LOVE L O V E CLANNAD i want to know more and more MORE

• February 21, 2009 at 12:54 amsoyahoney

WOW. Thanks everyone for the spoilers. I appreciate them. So the whole robot and girl thing was pretty significant then.

Anyways, loved the episode. Made me cry…again… T_T Fuuko’s weird faces and speeches really brought out the ‘starfish love’ in me.

Some spoilers said Tomoya might remarry, but I prefer the other spoiler about reviving a certain person because I still love her. If Tomoya did remarry, I’d pick Tomoyo. ^^

• February 21, 2009 at 1:12 amBT

Tomoya x Koko all the way!

• February 21, 2009 at 1:13 amKazzie

@Onm

I don’t think Ushio can take a bath by herself lol

• February 21, 2009 at 1:48 amdabaldeagle

im happy that this episode was less of a tearjerker than the last few, i was suprised that Fuuka didnt recognize tomoya or that her older sister wasnt a little more shocked about seeing tomoya in like 6 years

• February 21, 2009 at 2:59 amjho

Man I can’t believe they got me to cry again. Clannad ~After Story~ has been just as good if not better than season 1 so far. And I think that if Tomoya ever did remarry it would be with Tomoyo.

• February 21, 2009 at 10:13 amcriss

Nah, I don’t think Tomoya would remarry. Look at his dad, After all those times, he was focused on raising Tomoya and didn’t thought of remarrying, which I think, will also happen to Tomoya. I just can’t see him thinking of other girls aside from Nagisa.

• February 21, 2009 at 10:18 amDDD

MORE FUU-CHAN PLEASE!!!

• February 21, 2009 at 10:26 amSilentmanX

• February 21, 2009 at 4:12 pmrai

full blown cutest next episode eh

• February 21, 2009 at 5:01 pmSageGaiGar

Man the torpedos, there are ships to be sunk.

• February 21, 2009 at 5:12 pmcoconut

look.. he is holding that dango, also displaying that pic, also wearing that ring… and there’s still people that think that he’ll remarry

• February 21, 2009 at 10:07 pmPutang

you know… I kinda like the idea of Tomoya remarrying instead of whats expected to happen… him and Kyou wouldn’t make a bad new couple… I hope they do that…. ya… that’d be awesome… I really hope they do that…

• February 21, 2009 at 10:26 pmKimmy

Ushio! pretty pretty

• February 22, 2009 at 1:44 amDan

@soyahoney: all the remarry bits are just fans going for their favorite pairing. You are Show Spoiler ▼

for the next episode fuko is showing up.

• February 22, 2009 at 2:50 amAznCoffee

FFFFFF

The best episode of Clannad to date.

I almost cried. (ALMOST)

That “Here some candy Tomoya.”
    “Don’t eat too much.”
    “Sorry I’m always working.”
    “I’ll make a you proper dinner when I come back ok?”

o___o fuck…

• February 22, 2009 at 6:10 amDarknessheal

WOOTS FUKKO! FTW

• February 22, 2009 at 9:59 amKablack

Good stuff.

• February 22, 2009 at 3:16 pmasdf

The fork for the real ending has already passed. Have to replay everything to PREVENT Nagisa from dying.

Enjoy your Ushio got sick and die end.

• February 22, 2009 at 8:14 pmSheba

>> Man the torpedos, there are ships to be sunk.

Seriously, I thought that people should have realized that it is NOT Shuffle and that “who be the end girl?” was not the point of Clannad. But noooooooooooooooooooooo.

• February 22, 2009 at 11:49 pmmagnumslinger

Ushio has the ability to see Orbs of Light?! Biggest surprise in the whole anime so far.

Looking forward to how Tomoya and Kyou will react when they see each other. I predict her class seeing something they have never seen before: ARMOR PENETRATING TEXTBOOKS

• February 23, 2009 at 12:20 amJohn

speculation:

by collecting enough light orbs, Tomoya will be able to transport in a parallel universe (as theorized by Kotomi). In that parallel world, Nagisa would of course be alive.

• February 24, 2009 at 6:03 ammagnumslinger

I wonder, how come Tomoya’s dad grew old so quickly while Nagisa’s parents never aged a bit since her birth? Could it be Tomoya’s dad’s alcohol and smoking addictton agains Nagisa’s parents’ constant “exercises” (the ones that always start with someone badmouthing Sanae’s bread)?

• February 24, 2009 at 1:17 pmAnna

I miss Nagisa T_T

• February 24, 2009 at 11:47 pmRyuuya

I’m so looking forward to the following episodes… I guess I’m going to cry if Show Spoiler ▼

• February 25, 2009 at 12:46 amTomoya

i think the in the end, we will see tomoya ending up pared with a close friend from high school. that would be very nice and soothing to me if this peaceful conclusion can be applied. *cross fingers*

• February 26, 2009 at 10:38 pmChrisisacamal

I WANT TO OM NOM NOM A DANGO!!!!!!!!!! GO FUUKO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• March 5, 2009 at 12:13 amKim

The light that enter Tomoya’s heart! What is that? Is that some kinda key to unlock his lost feelings or a key that maybe grants him a wish that can create a mircle like Tomoya restart everything what happened Nagisa’s death, but this time she is alive and still have their first child name Ushio.

That maybe possible beside I really miss Nagisa right now. Hope the people feel the same.

• March 5, 2009 at 9:46 pmSusan

I agree with those who say Tomoya will not remarry. There are too few episodes for Tomoya to really get close to any of the secondary female characters. Plus, I doubt Ushio would be able to get along with any of the girls so easily and so quickly (other than Fuuko but Fuuko is…quite the child. If Tomoya marries Fuuko, he’d have an extra kid to take care of..)

Long Live Nagisa-chan!

• March 24, 2009 at 5:56 pmushio

Wow, Fuuko doesn’t even remember the whole “Starfish” thing she did back in the previous season?