Fullmetal Alchemist – CM5

The fifth and likely final commercial for the new Fullmetal Alchemist series aired with today’s episode of Gundam 00. This one is narrated by Miki Shinichirou, the new voice actor of Roy Mustang (he also voices Lockon in Gundam 00). I would say that it’ll take some getting used to hearing him as Mustang, but given that it’s been so long since I’ve seen the original, I think I’ll adjust just fine. Anyway, what’s shown in this commercial gives the new series a rather dark feel, and since the trailer from the Tokyo Anime Fair looked pretty nice as well, I’m really looking forward to the premiere in two weeks.

March 22, 2009 at 5:01 am
  • March 22, 2009 at 5:01 am7updnL

oh right!!! cant wait for this anime !!

• March 22, 2009 at 5:16 amjblah

I love Shinichiro Miki and the various roles he’s played over the years; however, he sounded like crap in this trailer. It also doesn’t help that he’s using his Lockon voice for the role of Roy. It’s still shocking that BONES replaced so many voice actors in the new FMA :\.

• March 22, 2009 at 5:31 ampenguintruth

Ed and Al on the steps! This is right after a certain horrible tragedy involving a certain little girl! Oh god, we’ll have to go through that again!

• March 22, 2009 at 5:51 amFuruba

o noes ;A; i dun think i can sit through little girl + psychotic father again. boo chimeras!!

• March 22, 2009 at 6:50 amLight

The animation looks better now. this is gonna be awesome , i love ed’s voice actor

• March 22, 2009 at 7:54 amUnknownVoice

YES YES YES!

Nina storyline is intact, thankfully.

So its seems its only Liore they will screw up with the whole Isaac bullshit…Now, since Liore DOES play an important part in manga, I wonder on how they solve that…

Anyway, good to know that the Isaac filler crap won’t last longer than one or two episodes.

• March 22, 2009 at 9:35 amZache

@UnknownVoice

I wouldn’t call the Isacc storyline crap, mainly because we don’t know much about it. And based on what’s seen in the TI Anime Fair trailer it looks High-quality. Remember, the original anime’s content was mostly “filler” and it was still an overall, well-done series.

• March 22, 2009 at 10:07 amRyvius

I’m happy the new series will have a darker feel!

• March 22, 2009 at 11:07 amAd

For sure it’s a darker feel because it will follow the paper manga. ;)

• March 22, 2009 at 11:21 amUnknownVoice

@Zache

I would not call the first series “well done”. For anime-original stuff, it was “OK” series, requiring high suspension of disbelief/logic.

However they had their go at being “original”, so new series should be more faithful.

I don’t see “gang chasing random filler villain through central” as interesting, nor faithful.

Not to mention the problems it will cause to the plot, as with all that “i haz automail and ice powars, so whatz that dere’z no way i could transmute ice thar” plot, they will, most likely, erase Lior, Bandit Train and Coal Town.

Now I don’t care about Bandit train since it has no significance, but taking out Lior and Coal town… how the hell will they re-introduce character of Yoki and town of Liore ?

• March 22, 2009 at 12:23 pmSilentbrick

Okay, so color me confused. This is going to be a ‘redo’ of the entire series? Not adding on to what they already did but basically starting over?

While I enjoyed the first one, I just can’t drum up alot of interest in watching a reworking of the same storyline so soon after seeing it the first time, even with a few differences. Not until I can at least watch a full season or two.

• March 22, 2009 at 12:37 pmUnknownVoice

@Silentbrick

Dude.

Apart from the story premise, manga storyline and FMA1 storyline had nothing in common.

• March 22, 2009 at 1:04 pmMonk

@silentbrick

You didn’t read the manga so u didn’t there is a lot of differences between anime and manga. Moreover, there are so interesting characters in the manga Show Spoiler ▼

didn’t appear in previous FMA

• March 22, 2009 at 2:26 pmLen

@Silentbrick

The previous anime and this new one have two entirely different plots. Different villain, characters, hell even the homunculus are created differently (two of them are completely different).

Just think of them as two entirely different series who share a somewhat similar foundation, try not to compare them.

• March 22, 2009 at 3:37 pmtomtom

i’m sooo looking forward to the new opening and ending songs!

• March 22, 2009 at 4:17 pmvin-nii

@ Tomtom

well, the ED is going to be the song from CM4, so that’s one expectation down XD (SIDS is a pretty awesome band)

I guess the main question is whether they will quickly run over the parts before Hughes died or seriously go through the arcs…

• March 22, 2009 at 5:09 pmOmisyth

It’s actually prety similar to Mustang’s original actor, so I’ve got no qualms.

• March 22, 2009 at 6:06 pmAdam

@Silentbrick

Well, according to an interview, what the creators are trying to do is to follow the manga more faithfully in comparison to what they’ve done before. The reason for this being is because when the first series was released, the manga only had 3 or 4 volumes released, so they didn’t have much to work with back then. Now, there’s 21 volumes available to work with, so they’ll be working with that as a foundation.

Sorry for the double post

• March 22, 2009 at 6:22 pmDrakron

Still the manga have no ending point, its closing to something but I doubt Father is going to be taken down permanently at the end of the arc.

Or maybe he will and something new comes out, after all a lot of things are still unexplained.

• March 22, 2009 at 6:37 pmkenken

who knows,maybe the first few episodes will be a recap and then they will jump to the new scene…

• March 22, 2009 at 8:00 pmUnknownVoice

@Drakron

Arakawa herself has already stated that Manga won’t go over Chapter 100.

• March 22, 2009 at 9:31 pmsha

Can someone tell me what this is about? A retelling or a sequel?

• March 22, 2009 at 10:37 pmBakanekokun

I can’t wait to see the new series….you know I have no qualms against Miki Shinichiro. I love him in Final Fantasy, D.Grayman, Bleach, Gundam oo…BUT the epiphany of the role of Roy Mustang is carved and recognized by fans throughout the world as Toru Okawa.

• March 23, 2009 at 12:16 amOmni

sha: A retelling based more on the manga than the first series was. See the above comments.

• March 23, 2009 at 12:53 amsha

Thanks!

• March 23, 2009 at 4:27 amGlo the Legend

I can honestly not wait for this. I hope they don’t spend too much time recapping, but I’m excited to see it finally follow the manga, which is one of the few mangas that I have read/are reading.

Actually, they can spend all the time they want recapping, I really don’t mind it.

• March 23, 2009 at 10:28 pmToshi

Urahara Kiske he going to be a awesome roy

• March 24, 2009 at 7:21 amknight of one

the new series is way down hot…..finally they are oiing to stick to the manga story, altough i think i better liked the anime original.

but, why the logo change? i liked the first fullmetal alchemist logo better than this one.

• March 25, 2009 at 9:28 amJarmel

Wtf why is there an anime only character in my “faithful”manga retelling? I hope they run over this quickly or that it’s just a short battle, it seems that it takes place in Central so maybe this has to do with Ed’s State exam? Still pisses me off though because if they’re already changing things then who knows what else? The trailer does have a good dark feel and it looks very good.

Mustang’s flames look alot more impressive and looking at the TAF trailer Ed’s spear looks much more amazing then in the first series.

@Unknown Voice

Well we’ll see if it goes over as right now it doesn’t look like she can wrap this up by chapter 100 and I think if she had to go over she probably would.

• March 29, 2009 at 3:04 amTelzen

“I hope they don’t spend too much time recapping”

Why do people keep saying this? There is NO recapping since nothing from the anime was exactly like the manga. And what anime original character? Kind of hard to see with that video, but I didn’t see one.