Gundam Unicorn – 02 »

Gundam Unicorn   01   34 Gundam Unicorn   01   35 Gundam Unicorn   01   36
Gundam Unicorn   01   37 Gundam Unicorn   01   38 Gundam Unicorn   01   39
Gundam Unicorn   01   40 Gundam Unicorn   01   41 Gundam Unicorn   01   42
Gundam Unicorn   01   43 Gundam Unicorn   01   44 Gundam Unicorn   01   45
Gundam Unicorn   01   46 Gundam Unicorn   01   47 Gundam Unicorn   01   48
Gundam Unicorn   01   49 Gundam Unicorn   01   50 Gundam Unicorn   01   51

「ユニコーンの日」 (Yunikoon no Hi)
“Day of the Unicorn”

Though it technically shouldn’t, it’s quite befitting how “Unicorn” contracts to UC in the logo for this series. Doing so just screams the return to the Universal Century timeline, which started it all for the Gundam franchise. I gather this probably won’t mean much to younger fans, but for people like me who got into the Gundam craze when terms like “Newtypes” and “Funnels” were the accepted norm long before “Coordinators”, “Innovators”, “DRAGOON System”, and “Fangs” mimicked them, it’s quite the treat. In both character designs and overall feel, Gundam Unicorn gets away from all the pretty-boy pilots and young female captain “fluff” we have in Wing, SEED, and 00, and returns to old burly old men leading the forefront in battles. Naturally we still have young protagonists, but the political and war aspects come off a lot more serious and the series as a whole doesn’t feel swept up by current anime trends — a pleasant return to the old school days.

While I felt Gundam 00 made some strides to return to those roots, it still came off as mecha fan-service for the most part, and the political setting couldn’t compare to the number of factions and subgroups that exist in the UC timeline. With the likes of the Earth Federation, Anti-Earth Union Group (AEUG), Zeon, and various empires including the Crossbone Vanguard, there’s just so much history in UC that no Gundam spin-off can really match up to it. To put that into perspective from a personal standpoint, I was overjoyed at the mere mention of Londo Bell and the names Bright Noa and Char Aznable here, which left me anticipating something about Amuro Ray, the Gundam pilot who started it all. Seeing as Unicorn takes place in U.C. 0096, three years after Char’s Counterattack, I was hoping they’d reference the events that took place in U.C. 0093 a bit more, especially with the way things ended then.

In the most recent addition to the UC timeline (which slots in the middle chronologically), the story involves something known as Laplace’s Box and a mysterious girl named Audrey Burne (Fujimura Ayumi), whom protagonist Banagher Links (Uchiyama Kouki) senses with his Newtype-like abilities and saves from being sucked out into space. Audrey is quick to reveal that she has to meet with someone and stop war from breaking out, which Banagher decides to tag along for. All the while, war is seemingly breaking out already and before long, Banagher finds himself entrusted with a Gundam. That’s the short version of it anyway, which is plenty intriguing on its own, but probably more so when you realize that Audrey’s true identity has important ties with the past.

For reasons such as that, I gather those somewhat familiar with the UC timeline will appreciate the story here much more. My recollection of the UC timeline is a bit fuzzy due to how long it’s been and how there are a few key series I have yet to watch in full, but I can still say that the nostalgic names, terms, history, and mobile suits/armors really add to the overall appeal of Unicorn. This first of six OVA episodes makes me want to go back and watch those series that I haven’t finished (which I actually have on-hand but have put off for years now), so I can see the same thing happening with viewers who are completely new to the UC timeline but curious about the origins of Gundam.

Cast-wise, I’m quite impressed with Uchiyama Kouki’s portrayal of Banagher. Kouki’s relatively new to the seiyuu industry and only gave us a glimpse of what he’s capable of as Soul in SOUL EATER. Here, he shows that he has much more depth than the goofy Soul. Fujimura Ayumi on the other hand continues to impress me with her ability to play any type of role (e.g. compare Oribe Mafuryu in Seikon no Qwaser to Audrey), much like Kaida Yuuko does as Marida Cruz. It’s also nice to see the likes of Tomatsu Haruka, Shimono Hiro, Toyoguchi Megumi, Kakihara Tetsuya, and Koyama Rikiya in the support cast, not to mention Ikeda Shuuichi (seiyuu for Char Aznable) slated to show up later on. Coincidence? I think not.

Seeing as this post is overdue, I won’t get into the episode specifics much more, but will point out that it aired over the PlayStation Network (PSN) in Japan on February 20, 2010. Surprisingly, it’s slated for a quick simultaneous worldwide English/Japanese dual-audio DVD/BD release next week on March 12, 2010. From the look of things though, it’s already “available” ahead of schedule.

ED Sequence

Gundam Unicorn   ED   01 Gundam Unicorn   ED   02 Gundam Unicorn   ED   03

ED: 「流星のナミダ」 (Ryuusei no Namida) by Kuriyama Chiaki
Watch the ED!: Mirror 1, Mirror 2, Streaming ▼

I didn’t think much of the ending/theme song when I heard it, but was surprised to find out that this is the same Kuriyama Chiaki who played the schoolgirl assassin Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill: Vol. 1. (She was also in the gorey Japanese film Battle Royale.) The PV for the song is out as well, which just has Chiaki seemingly naked and making love with the camera. Depending on how you take that, it might mean “absolute win”. See below.

Show PV ▼

March 4, 2010 at 8:54 pm
  • March 6, 2010 at 11:35 amcasiopao

@Ricky
    About the kid who forget about the CCA accident it is not like they forget it is just that the war was not really spread known to all the world as the group which join the war is Londo Bell till the other Earth Federation army came to push the asteroid and die in vain.

For this anime of course it was great not only story the OST and character art is my fav(especially Marida Cruz it means loli could change into such beautiful lady in the future) Even though her past was really sad and her future in the series is also so sad (read the novel to know her fate)

• March 6, 2010 at 12:28 pmKinny Riddle

One of my biggest regret in life is never having watched any UC series, mainly because they make it so difficult to obtain, and I’m not rich enough yet. So it’s gonna be another few years before I get to watch the whole thing. Until then, I won’t be able to join you older UC people in lording over the non-UC people on how much better UC is, lol.

Before any of you UC people go into flaming mode, this isn’t meant as an insult. After being traumatized by the crap that was Destiny, I’m actually inclined to agree with you guys that UC is the best. Not to mention I agree with you guys that some of the guys here who seem to confuse their taste in character design with animation quality seriously needs an eye check.

OTOH, as Meh has well elaborated, I do resent the sometimes haughty attitudes displayed in your lording of people, as though your “old school” is so much superior when there actually isn’t much difference when you look at the bigger picture.

It all boils down to “YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY”.

• March 6, 2010 at 12:29 pmSakuyakun

I don’t understand you guys. The animation/art style was freaking great and fight scenes was pretty tense.

Some of you have really bad taste

• March 6, 2010 at 12:50 pmMeh

@Vsin

-For the record, I liked SEED’s character designs myself. Kira and Athrun were “refreshing” to me at that time as far as Gundam protagonists go.

-Sorry, trying to remember every piece of fanservice in Gundam is like trying to remember how many times somebody died a pointlessly gory death in Gundam. I know I should be remembering them all, but I don’t have the memory capacity.

-Spinoffs like 0080 and 0083 are one thing, but stuff like MS IGLOO and all the OYW video games? That’s like trying to milk a cow after it’s been turned into steak.

@RickyMack

For the record there, you’re not the only one that’s lost friends in Iraq or Afghanistan, or even as far back as Bosnia. That said, sorry, but I don’t find UC Gundam all that realistic when it comes to war, not when the majority of it is focused on Newtype mumbo jumbo and people dying in pointlessly gruesome death. This is the same metaseries that has bad guys like the Titans, Haman’s Neo Zeon, Crossbone Vanguard and Zanscare Empire (all of whom make real life Nazi Germany and the USSR look tame by comparison), as well as methods of killing from using flying remote buzzsaws to perge colony inhabitance to bringing back the guillotine to running towns and cities over with giant wheels on motorcycle battleships. It’s one thing to kill characters off like Bernie Weisman and Emma Sheen to elicit a response from the audience, it’s another to instill virtual massacres just for a gruesome body count, which IMO is trying too hard and loses the emotional effect on the audience. It also doesn’t help much that Tomino himself admitted that the main reason he killed people en mass was to get higher ratings, and judging by the lack of character deaths in Turn A Gundam, I’d say he was being truthful about that.

Really though, when it comes down to it all Gundam series are the same no matter what universe they’re in. They’re all focused on the “horrors of war” in one way or another, they all have invincible giant robots with V-fins that can survive full on blitzkriegs and move through without a scratch, they all have teenagers or young adults that are either super aces from the beginning or start out as novices but eventually end up getting up there with Erich Hartmann in skill and kill count, they all have people dying in grotesque and at times highly unrealistic ways just for the shock value, and above all else, they’re made specifically to advertise and sell toys and other merchandise on a grand scale. That said, to judge one Gundam series from the other on the “realism” merit is truly pointless, since it’s all fiction and it’s all centered around the same things.

• March 6, 2010 at 12:59 pmMeh

Damn, miss Kinny Riddle’s post, as it pretty much beat me to the punch on the latter part of mine. Sorry about that.

• March 6, 2010 at 1:17 pmGermanguy

You know, i smile a bit. Old Fans and Otakus here, are just Spoiling all kind of Infos to the New Fresh “fans”.

You know, Timeline of any Gundam epilogue and so on. You should hear yourself, imagine Gundam is a New Name for you. You extinguish the fun with you “Awesomeness” Background History…

Sometimes, less talking is a Bless.

• March 6, 2010 at 1:20 pmcheesybagel

The character designs are too retro. You can certainly do a UC series with a refreshed look without making everyone a blob. I mean even Gundam 0080, 0083 had fresher looking designs and they were done like a decade ago. 08th MS Team which arguably looks more retro also did not look like this. Char’s Counterattack did not either.

The main character is a Kamille Bidan clone painted different. Seriously. How is that “original” character design?

Oh and the story… is a walking cliche so far.

Nice robots though.

• March 6, 2010 at 1:51 pmGuy

*Sigh* I used to be like you kids who complain about older character designs like those of this show (even though the designs aren’t really that “old” looking). But the fact that your tastes will change as you grow older, and start appreciating shows that are more mature than your run of the mill garbage like Gundam Seed and Gundam 00.

You guys will learn in due time. You are still young.

• March 6, 2010 at 10:30 pmmeh

i started out on uc gundam and i dont see how its “better” than anything au.

• March 6, 2010 at 10:38 pmmeh

shit this is what i get 4 using my cellphone to post

@guy

posts like that are why i depise “older” fan[boy]s. just what exactly gives you the right to lord your likes/dislikes to everyone else like it’s sacred? i started out on uc and i actually like the aus [namely ac and ce] much better, but i dont shove it down your throat like im special. you like uc stuff? good for u, but you’re no different from everyone else. dont act like ur.

• March 6, 2010 at 11:43 pmdivine

“Universal Century is the best” is not the message here, nor should anyone be trying to advocate that on those unfamiliar with it. It’s fine to voice your opinion about something, but it’s naive to expect everyone to agree with you.

Personally, I just prefer the stories/settings in the original timeline, which I felt series such as SEED took away from with their overpowered Gundams and pilots. However, SEED is noteworthy in that it’s the first Gundam to draw a noticeable number of female fans to the franchise, and I enjoyed it a hell of a lot when it was airing. Heck, I even have a Master Grade Freedom Gundam here to show for it.

As I mentioned back in the Best of Anime 2009 post, I really like Gundam 00, so it should be noted that I’m not taking sides in regards to timelines here. I just like how we’re finally getting another Gundam based on UC, because there are so many things from it that I do like. That said, UC is not without its own flaws, as a feel the older series suffered from really poor pacing (e.g. Victory Gundam).

• March 6, 2010 at 11:53 pmMR.KLAC

oh come GS series main focus was on characters, drama, emotion, feelings, personal side, etc to make the J-drama of gundam series really that what GS did more focus on characters, drama, emotion, feelings, personal side, etc geez like maybe a TELESERYE for gundam fans & besides where the GS movie or 3rd GS season.

& where the 00 movie so they make more showing proof on set-feldt (pink hair, blue eyes, & voice of Chantal Strand) this is likely to happen.

& idea for next gundam series are gundam version of kamen rider DECADE (yea let get all gundam time era & characters in same series) or yet finally get a lead main gundam pilot being a female with Chantal Strand as the lead main female gundam pilot!!!

• March 7, 2010 at 2:32 amChikinyx

For UC lovers out there, be easy on the kids. They only know Wing, Seed, and 00, as if their graphics, animations and character and mecha designs are the main standards of any Gundam anime.

Ok now, for you UC haters, yeah, the designs and animations of the Gundams prior to G Gundam are crappy, but it is the plot that made Universal Century great. If they are to be remade in today’s time, it would beat the hell out of the Alternate Universes. Can you say that the story of the Gundams in the late 90′s up to present matches those in UC?

Don’t get me wrong, I also liked Gundam X, Turn-A Gundam Gundam Seed (not Gundam Seed Destiny) and Gundam 00 Season 1, not because of the mech design or character designs, but because of their plot. I’m more after on the story, rather than the eye-candy.

For Unicorn haters, try watching other Universal Century-themed Gundams, and I’m telling this because I know you can get those in cyberspace before bashing us UC lovers that your Kira Yamato or Setsuna F. Seiei will kick Amuro’s and Char’s ass.

• March 7, 2010 at 3:55 amdivine

Nu Gundam’s one of my favorite Gundams though. :\

Zeta also has an awesome design with its transformation to a mobile armor.

• March 7, 2010 at 4:13 amChikinyx

• March 7, 2010 at 3:23 pmpink elephant

been waiting for this review for a while….
    loved the animation and the retro style witch raised the bar from 00 i have total faith that this is going to be perfectly crafted ark i’m just thinking the gaps between are going to make it difficult to really get griped…

• March 7, 2010 at 4:25 pmSora no Kaze

hahaha, it was pretty damn epic. Especially the fights. Gundams hell as old. And, no, the UC century is not perfect. However, the stories the came along with it are generally good. Don’t flame me, cause I do like Gundam X (budget problems, but still good), Gundam 00 (writer could have done a lot more with the potential of the plot) and Gundam Seed. Heck, I like Turn A as well. Everyone bound to have their complaints here and there, (ZZ, GSD, Etc.) but it’s a nice change to see the UC Century again. Although… I would be quite amused to see Char’s Long Range Kick (srsly, that was wtf? Long long legs) on Sayla’s Gun remade (obviously would be fixed).

Oh I liked to also rofl at the fact that someone brought up the point of “Super Powers” out of all the AU Gundams, cause they clearly did not see Zeta and CCA. The only show that could only be considered super powers would be G Gundam as those were definitely SUPER Robots as Reals with no real explanation of where the powers came from other then techniques (heck I see Domon beating a Mobile Suit with his fists as ridiculous). The “super powers” of the rest of the series are, Zeta biosensor (explained by concept, and miracle, but never the less, fits in this persons idea of Super Powers), Nu Gundam’s psychoframe (overloaded and saved the world, if you read into it, some of it make sense), Turn A’s Moon light butterfly (Nanomachines), Wing Zero’s Zero System (if someone saying that, srsly, bad is bad), S-Gundam’s ALICE System (Again, would be mad), Blue Destiny’s EXAM System (yet again, would be mad), Double Zeta supposed Biosensor powers (Don’t rmb it appearing in the show, but they mention it in Games), Wings of Light of both Victory and GSD (I would just shake my head no if someone thought this was a super power), TRANS-AM (yet again, explained by the GN Particles), TRANS-AM Burst, F91′s Afterimages (yet again, argh, it was explained), and Satellite Cannon (pls don’t tell me you thought this was a super power). Oh and of course, NT-D System.

To summarize my paragraph above of rant… G-Gundam was the only one with insane Super Powers fighting each other. Most of the other series had some sort of form of a weaponry edge, system, machine, or miracle which at least, somewhat was explained in terms of concepts.

• March 7, 2010 at 8:04 pmKelfistan

Wow, absolutely Magnificent….

My brother(who is older than me) having not watched the trilogy Gundam series(Original Gundam,Gundam Zeta, Gundam ZZ and Char’s Counterattack) says the anime is “Totally Epic” it has “Dual Audio” and it “Blew my ears apart” (XD).

While me, having watched the trilogy and Char’s Counterattack, Say” The first line above”

It just stuns me to see all these old things that were forgotten in the new Gundam series nowadays [360 degrees cockpits, funnels(phycommu meaning shes a cyber-newtype!!!), all those old factions and names Divine pointed out. All this just blew my mind and I went screaming out the front door after seeing the awesomeness this episode auras with(will we be seeing Newtype auras later???).

Also after reading those comments above, I must say I’m completely stunned to see why Gundam oldies and Gundam newies(uhh… bad wording… please don’t flame me for that) are fighting. Divine I am quite young and to say the least(13-16) ,and my brother who is a lot older than me(20-27), sees this series to be incredible.

I took the liberty in seeing ALL three original Gundam serie(47+50+47 episodes plus counterattack!!!!!), to truly see the amazement in this episode. I’m afraid that if I hadn’t watched those first I wouldn’t have seen this spectacle for how it is. Seeing how I’m part of the “new decade” of anime(First series-Gundam Wing, Second-Seed, third-destiny, fifth-00), but I, who would watch 1970s-1980s television show am quite unique.

I must say I’m one of a kind seeing how I like all those old Gundam series. The plot of seed, destiny, 00 second season(Specifically) branches off of those original series hardcore. Though I must say, its not the younger generation that hates Gundam, but the people who don’t like the plot, and people who just want eye candy all day.

By the way, I love Nu Gundam, ZZ Gundam, and especially Zeta!(I think it might be my new favorite next to Wing Zero-movie form) I hope we get to see some new rendition of the Phyco Gundam, we’ve already scene Quebeley:).

I haven’t watched F-91, Turn a Gundam, X, V-gundam, or Ms, But I hope to get them in soon.

• March 7, 2010 at 10:33 pmKelfistan

I’m not sure about this artwork deal thats going on. When I watched this I had no quarrels with the character design, quality flaws, or how it compares to other Gundam designs. Even the Gundam or mobile suit designs are being bashed. Manga, and anime(a lot of people mistake anime with manga) is however you like it to be. I’ve seen a variety of anime styles. Theres no “Fixed” kind of deal.

Either that, or its the fact that I’m not a big deal with resolution/quality… all that mumbo jumbo.

But I must say, there is a traditional style of manga. A person who still uses it is Kurumada Masami(Saint Seiya or English dubb-Knights of the Zodiac). The new style of manga is replacing the old traditional style(Naruto, Bleach, DBZ, etc.), so maybe thats what new generations are used to.

• March 7, 2010 at 10:51 pmChikinyx

Anime nowadays is rated more for its eye-candy/character/mecha designs rather than it’s plot.

I saw an earlier comment, that the girls are not that cute, as if the cuteness of the characters are the main point of the story.

I feel bad because instead of trying to appreciate the story first, it seems that it’s more important to see Murrue’s boobs or Lacus’ sexy curves in Marida or Mine… Audrey Burnes body.

And UC is not about sexy sirens as the main focus of the story.

*Still wishing for a Gundam Sentinel anime remake.

@Kelfistan, just persevere in searching for it, you’ll get them >:)

• March 7, 2010 at 11:49 pmanimeE

I just watched this episode. Wow I must say! I enjoyed every minute of it. Someone commented on no cute girls, but I disagree. We got the uber-pilot chick plus the girl who knows the main character (please don’t get pissed that I don’t know their).
    Seems like a good plot and I like the animation.

• March 8, 2010 at 1:53 amHalfDemonInuyasha

I really love the Universal Century series’ as opposed to most of the AUs. (The ones I like being G Gundam, Gundam X, and Turn A Gundam.)

The animation definitely gives the OVA “vibe” like The 08th MS Team, 0080, and 0083 did.

And for those who don’t know, the Pegasus-class ship shown briefly firing at the colony is the Nahel Argama from Gundam ZZ, now flying for Londo Bell, thus Unicorn allows ZZ to have more of a “connection” to the other series’ rather than simply written off or ignored just because of a bunch of people not liking it for its more light-hearted attitude (at first).

And the MS battles are back to how I like them as opposed to most AUs (specifically Wing, SEED, SEED Destiny, and 00); BALANCED battles overall. The Geara Zulu making that one last suicide charge after ALL that damage (its head was dangling by 1 tube for crying out loud) before getting finished off was EPIC. (“HAIL, NEO ZEON!”)

Collateral damage is also very brutal-showing like F91 was, thus further showing the horrors of war; a dismembered MS arm falling and crushing several civilians as well as a reactor explosion frying another or a beam blast slicing through another x_x.

MS designs are, obviously, reminiscent of previous series’;

Geara Zulu = Geara Doga
    ReZel = a mix of the Methuss and Jegan
    Loto = evolves into the F-50D (RXR-44) Guntank R-44
    Sinanju = Sazabi (and Full Frontal being another Char “clone”)
    Kshatriya = Queen Mansa

So right off the bat, I am heavily looking forward to the rest of Unicorn and happy that the Universal Century is being kept alive. Perhaps people who have only known of Gundam since Gundam Wing (and never bothered with the older series’) will discover and/or appreciate the Universal Century series’ a lot more than before.

• March 8, 2010 at 3:08 amgreengreen

okay, personally, Banagher looked a bit too young in the OVA. In the illustrations from the novels, Banagher looks more mature, isn’t he 16-17?
    Not that is has much impact, but a more mature looking Banagher would make the atmosphere more serious, but I guess they twitched around the design so he didn’t look weird around Audrey lol.

I LOVE THE AIR BAGS. Especially near the end when Unicorn was pushing Kshyratia out of the colony. Seriously epic. I lol’d when the airbags came out in Marida’s cockpit.

On another note, Unicorn has the hardest names to pronounce. Banagher? Ksyhrataaaitiata? (dunno how to spell >_<)

• March 8, 2010 at 12:06 pmmizugi-otoko

i never felt better after watching unicorn. maybe because it has been ages since i’ve seen a decent gundam anime without pretty boys or girls flocking the series. somehow,there is alot of gapholes in the OVA which will lead to confusion for those who are new to UC-related gundam, but maybe this is a way for them to start doing their research on previous timeline from 0079-0093 and the novel itself.

as for those who are expecting tony taka or hirai hisashi kinds of character designs,too bad for you, bear with it. thats how UC is meant to be.

• March 9, 2010 at 8:58 amJ-Ojisan

I’d like to talk about reputation in Japan. Gundam UC released at only 5 theaters for 2 weeks in Japan. Gundam UC is making sensation in a way. Because it is far and away beyond our expectations. Reputation spread through Twitter and Blogs every day. Sales of Blue-ray disk get a No.1 ranking (include all categories) at Amazon.jp in March so far.
    Download through PS3 made a new record as 1st business day. Even some young Japanese anime fans who don’t know Universal Century series found new excitement with Unicorn.

Old Gundam fans finally came back to anime and theater. They were very surprised and impressed with its quality. Some of them were not able to stop tears. They shout,”This is Gundam. Our Gundam finally came back!” Loyalty to UC history, overwhelming pictures, old familiar character, beautiful sound,,,etc Fan’s dream came true. When I watched the first battle scene, my hands trembled with excitement. Theater is packed with many Ojisan(middle-aged man). I don’t like Ojisan because they smell a little bit. But I am Ojisan, too. Very sad.

First Gundam was televised 31 years ago. College students who watched it at that time are over 50 now. Main fans of Universal Century are at age of 35-45. So they have been away from anime aside from ardent anime fans. Gundam UC probably brings back nostalgia and passion for us. Some of young anime fans feels that character(mecha) design of Unicorn is old. But this design unquestionably dominated the anime world in Golden Era(1980s-90s). First Gundam and first Macross were made from this design.

I think that discerning foreign anime fans notice that it is impossible to bring this quality on TV series. Gundam UC is a challenging work because it eliminates big ad agency and TV station. They often skim profit and interfere in contents. So this is one of the reasons for recent low-quality anime. Small group of veteran creators is making Unicorn with enormous time and effort. Furuhashi(director) is very professional. He is famous for OVA of Rurouni Kenshin (Title:trust and betrayal). So they can make 2 OVAs a year at best. But if Gundam UC succeed on business, it means that Anime will get a new business model. I hope that Gundam UC make us more excited until the last minute and succeed on business not only for Gundam but also for anime’s future.

• March 9, 2010 at 1:24 pmCV

As much I enjoy reading Fukui’s Gundam Unicorn novel series and Katoki’s mecha designs, I think this OVA adaptation turned out to be poor what I expect to be something better than Stardust Memory 0083 and Char’s Counterattack.

The whole OVA episode is more like a last-minute rush job with everything pushed at a rush-rush pace and a lot of details were overlooked and missed. One of the details would be Riddy Marcenas’s intro aboard the Nahel Argama and Alberto Vist’s briefing to the crews, it’s understandable why Bandai dropped that part due to short of voice-overs and scripts for these characters and that’s probably the reason why the EFSF pilots and Londo-Bell crews don’t talk at all. Barnagher’s character simply exhibit some similar traits to Kamille Bidan’s and it makes me wonder if Barnagher is the new Kamille Bidan after Amuro Rei. Why so repetitive? Marida Cruz sure get a taste of her own medicine by wearing something so inappropriate like that long maxi coat when she dressed in an OL short skirt suit and wearing sport shoes in the novel. You should see her face after she got thrown off the elevator by Barnagher dragging her “long dress”. Why won’t they just dress her in a jumpsuit instead since she has no sense of fashion? The worst has yet to come, although the MS fighting scenes are pretty intense, but the last part should at least end with a bang like the novel did with the episode “The day of the Unicorn” instead of an unfinished cliffhanger. So this whole OVA episode’s purpose is just to show the Unicorn Gundam for just 3 seconds before ending? What a rip-off!

Rushed, unfinished and not fulfilling are what I can describe about this OVA, but for those didn’t read the novel or should I say can’t read the novel even in Mandarin, this OVA is just for you because it’s so convenient of Bandai doing the English translation as well. If you are just too lazy to read, this OVA is just for you!

• March 10, 2010 at 3:48 amsyivese

wow. just the type of Gundam anime I grew up with. And I’m wishing badly there’s a mention of Amuro Ray somewhere too. I still think of him as the best gundam pilot :) I need to watch this.

• March 11, 2010 at 11:45 pmUCenthusiast04

Okay, I have one thing to say about the scene in which Banagher rescues the falling Audrey:
    MACROSS. Hikaru and Minmei, specifically. Recently mimicked by Alto and Ranka in Frontier

Also, Stark Jegan = pwnsome. I’d like to see a souped-up grunt piloted by a faceless unknown last that long against a remote weapon-equipped machine that outguns it ten-to-one in the CE.

Finally, fans of the much-reviled ZZ Gundam should find Marida’s character and machine, the Kshatriya, distinctly familiar, and with good reason.

• March 12, 2010 at 6:43 amabe

lol man I havent watched gundam since the seed destiny periods. I guess I can check this out since they’re trying to go back to their roots. GUNDAM HAMMER!!

• March 12, 2010 at 9:28 pmlulz

@meh
    “It also doesn’t help much that Tomino himself admitted that the main reason he killed people en mass was to get higher ratings”

Source? Japanese is fine. I only remember him mentioning doing that because he doesn’t have to work on it again and kill off characters so they won’t come back again.

“No bishounens? Then what do you call Char, Garma Zabi, Paptimus Scirocco, Zabine Chareux, Dorel Ronah, and several of the Neo Zeon and Zanscare Empire people in ZZ and V? And dare I go on the same about “hot, sexy girls” from Sayla Mass to the Shrike Team girls? While there wasn’t an abundant amount of either case in UC Gundam, they were still there.”

Except those characters there not just because they are bishonen and be pandered to fans as bishi. None of the “bishi” mentioned there except Char has any sort of popularity at all and the kind of popularizing characterization that would be attributed to “bishi” these days. It would be hypocritical of you to ignore their difference. Hot sexy girls are a given in any male-oriented show, but can you really compare anything in UC aside from ZZ or V, to Murrue bounce every time the bridge shakes?.Sure, UC has all the things that ppl complains about in AU. UC itself is pretty inconsistent in tone over the periods, but that doesn’t mean AU could do more of it and get away with it. Before AU existed, UC had plenty of factions within itself flaming against each other. Nothing wrong with that, the only difference is that now they have a united target. Mind you plenty of AU fans do the same with other AU series. Can’t take the heat? Get out of the fandom.

“Pandering to niche otakus? Last I checked…”

AU is pandering the wrong/different niche, simple as that. In fact AU did not succeed/fail as you suggest because it is doing the same. It’s because it’s trying to appeal to a larger/different niche.

“Sure, Vist got preachy on the Laplace Box, but those scenes didn’t last too long, quite unlike the ramblings in most UC series”

That’s why you are not an UC fan. The same reason you think

“In summary, my point is neither Gundam nor anime in general has changed much since the 70s-80s.”

Fan-service for the sake of selling fan-service is different from fan-service for the sake of getting enough attention/sponsorship so that a message and be communicated.

• March 16, 2010 at 8:43 amgale

hi all, just curious, i kinda fell in love with the music from 00:00 -> 01:51 the moment i watched the anime. I got the OST for Gundam Unicorn too, however, after listening to all the tracks, i dont seem to think any of it felt like the 1 in anime. Does anyone know whats the name of the music from 00:00 -> 01:51? or where can i get it?

• March 17, 2010 at 12:31 amArtur

After being disapointed with the second season of Gundam 00, I really enjoyed myself wacthing Unicorn…

I can´t believe I´ll have to wait so much to watch epi 2, but it´ll surely worth it!!!!

(Damn, I wanna see this Full Frontal dude >.<)

• March 17, 2010 at 5:43 pmsevenfarn

I haven’t written much before though I am a keen follower of this website.
    I am also old enough to watch all the UC Gundam series.
    Unicorn is a high quality work in Japan this day. The feel of the texture is different to ordinary TV pictures due to the use of more CG technology here.
    The drawing of the characters actually does not do justice to the original design by Yoshikazu YASUHIKO. Those who would bother to dig up the novel cover will realise the differences.
    1/3 of the OVA is actually a verbal summary of what happened in the UC world up to CCA. This is for the benefit of new comers.
    Gundam 00 is closer to Greek mythology.
    The original Gundam is a reflection of WW2. The creators of the series were old enough to be affected by the war, thus the portrait of mass death was made.
    The ability of writing this form of story is lost now. The reason is simple that the writers are all born in the peaceful era. Many of them don’t even know why Japan was fighting in WW2. It is rather hopeless to expect people who don’t know war to write a war story. This is why we have those half baked Seed and 00 series.
    As a TV viewer, I agree that we don’t need to see sexy girls all the time, though that is not a big issue itself.

• March 23, 2010 at 12:51 amSora no Kaze

Woah! What the? How did Codename:V make it all the way to this website with his ignorance that not everyone reads Japanese, Mandarin, or even Cantonese perfectly.

• March 27, 2010 at 12:06 pmDody

Lol, maybe Im the only old fans who dissapointed (at first)with the character design. Looks like Sunrise also try to appeal the newer audience by not letting Yoshikazu Yasuhiko himself to design the characters in the anime but let the other person (Kumiko Takahashi) to re-adapt it so the design aren’t really resembles the old Gundam design (isn’t that really the Princess??? She’s a bit different than she used to be).

But maybe its just because a change with time. Even Gundam F 91 where the characters are designed by Yasuhiko himself are a bit different than the old Gundam design. And afterall, Kumiko’s design still looking oldschool. So not really a problem.

Well, its also a bit of sad that this blog will be closed. I just hope that you still stands at least until the end of Unicorn. But whatever. Afterall, thanks for your works.

• March 28, 2010 at 3:22 pmVsin

Picture #51

/desktop

• November 1, 2010 at 5:19 amlkaze

anyone here notice that the beam saber cross sword. by theory it not suppose to because it a not tangible

• « Older Comments