Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 54 »« Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 52

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood – 53

Fullmetal Alchemist   53   01 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   02 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   03
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   04 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   05 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   06
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   07 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   08 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   09
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   10 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   11 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   12
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   13 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   14 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   15
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   16 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   17 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   18
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   19 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   20 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   21
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   22 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   23 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   24
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   25 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   26 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   27
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   28 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   29 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   30
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   31 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   32 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   33
Fullmetal Alchemist   53   34 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   35 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   36

「復讐の炎」 (Fukushuu no Honoo)
“Flame of Vengeance”

Selective intelligence manipulation at its finest! I wouldn’t have suspected Mustang’s crew to pin the coup d’état on the goons at Central, but it sure made for some good laughs along with Briggs bringing in the heavy artillery. Deceiving the public was a good move to expose their corruption, but Ross‘ line about “justice” and everyone portraying Mustang’s group as the saviors in this civil war was the icing on the cake. I felt kind of bad for Mrs. Bradley being used as a tool to that end, still in the dark about her husband being a homunculus and thinking he’s dead, but at least her emotional burden is for a good cause. Her testimony about Central soldiers trying to kill her and Mustang stepping in to stop them was key,so I’m quite surprised they planned that far ahead when they kidnapped her (…or did they?).

The best part of this episode however was the showdown between Mustang and Envy. Or I should say, the completely dominating one-sided onslaught unleashed by the Flame Alchemist and his “I win” snap. Like seriously, Roy must have one of the most overpowered abilities out of all the state alchemists, provided that you don’t dump a bucket of water on him before hand. He’s lucky there’s no one balancing his ability in the Fullmetal Alchemist universe, as it would need to be hit with the nerf bat several times before it’s allowed to go live. When you have a monster like Envy who can regenerate as he pleases running from him, you just know something is messed up. Snap, oh there goes your eyes. Snap, oh there goes your whole body. It almost seems way too effortless, so I’m just glad he’s one of the good guys.

Looking back, it’s kind of hard to believe that we’re this late in the series yet this is the first time Mustang’s run into Envy. It’s been a long time coming for him to get the opportunity to avenge Hughes, which made for quite the scene when they were finally face to face. Given what an ass Envy is and how awesome Hughes was, I was pretty happy to see Mustang’s overpowered ability systematically take the shape-shifting homunculus down over and over again. Envy’s definitely getting no pity from me at this point, but the bigger concern is Mustang and how his hatred is absolutely consuming him. It’s hard to deny how badass he looks when he’s completely serious, but his obsession with revenge shows just how much he’s fallen from his normally calm and collected self. The drama unfolding here is intense to say the least, and it looks like things will continue on next time as we’re left with a cliffhanger involving Mustang and Hawkeye, one of which is evidently Envy in disguise.

* The commercial that aired during the broadcast showed scenes from some sort of Izumi OVA that’s included with the 9th DVD volume scheduled to be released next week.
* Credit goes to Omni for helping prep the images again.

Note: There were a lot of spoiler-filled comments last time, so if you’re familiar with the manga, please be considerate to others who aren’t and use <spoiler></spoiler> tags as appropriate. This includes hints or anything that’s suggestive of what will happen.

Fullmetal Alchemist   53   Preview 01 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   Preview 02 Fullmetal Alchemist   53   Preview 03

April 18, 2010 at 2:41 am
  • April 18, 2010 at 2:44 amUnknownVoice

This episode was a FUCKING WIN

9000/10

• April 18, 2010 at 2:46 ampenguintruth

Epic facial expressions in this episode.

A lot of this stuff feels like kind of a waste of time at this juncture of the story, though. And my feelings about this particular battle are already pretty well known, so I’ll leave it at that.

To be positive, though, holy crap, the Tales of the Master story’s been animated! Awesome.

• April 18, 2010 at 2:48 amimmortalgamer

thanks for the awesome update!

• April 18, 2010 at 2:49 amUnknownYu

wow…Cliffhanger
    No mercy Roy awesome

• April 18, 2010 at 2:50 amSovereign`D

This episode looks amazing! Can’t wait for the subs. A real treat for Mustang fans.

• April 18, 2010 at 2:51 amCherubium

GAR Mustang.

• April 18, 2010 at 3:06 amNice Holystone

Tried not to read too much or look at too many screen-caps so I won’t spoil myself.
    This episode certainly looks like its continuing the chain of epic-ness though. Will give a thorough look-through after watching for myself!

• April 18, 2010 at 12:38 pmNice Holystone

Epicc.
      Envy is indeed an ass, lol.

• April 18, 2010 at 3:08 amCharred Knight

Tales of the master!

Yes, that is one awesome chapter where Izumi kicks a bears ass with her bare hands!

• April 18, 2010 at 3:08 ammegalith

YES YES YES!!! I’ve been waiting to see this from the preview. Daayyumm… Mustang RAGE!!!

• April 18, 2010 at 7:22 ammegalith

Saw the RAW!!! LOL! Seeing Envy getting owned by Rage Mode Mustang is awesome.

Mustang should just make that flamethrower move again and incinerate Envy. His smokes are getting in the way of the fun. XD

• April 18, 2010 at 3:17 amJeffry2010

GOD, NOT NEXT WEEK!!! I mean that’s NOT FAIR!! ENDING UP WAY LIKE THAT!! Because we’re running of time?!

- Will Riza shoot Mustang?

- Or Riza will be the one who get shot?!

I MEAN COME ON!!! SCREW THIS!!

• April 18, 2010 at 5:02 amProoof

at first I thought one of em might have been envy, but then I remembered what Hawkeye said about “stopping Mustang if he went too far” so there’s that possibility

• April 19, 2010 at 5:40 amMike

I believe this is the case as well. Riza was supposed to protect Mustang’s back, but if he went too far or fell down the wrong path, he gave her orders to shoot him in the back. So I believe she is feeling that he is going too far with the revenge, so she might be doing this to remind him to not fall down any further.

• April 19, 2010 at 5:10 pmSpacyRicochet

One of them is definately Envy. I’m betting on Mustang being the fake this time around. That because of the obvious sound effects of Envy plotting and because Hawkeye being Envy would be too obvious.

Also, notice how she’s pointing her gun at Mustang? Envy can’t mimic projectiles, so pointing is useless.

• April 18, 2010 at 3:24 amraklaron

Bah, i hoped that they would make this episode that has full Mustang-o-mania…anyway these expressions are truly blood-chilling. That’s why i love Mustang, hell a lot!

• April 18, 2010 at 3:26 amPazoozoo

That facial expression was pure win!! Great ep

• April 18, 2010 at 3:31 amNawar

this was one fuckin epic episode……………ROYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• April 18, 2010 at 3:37 amEspada

raw must watch raw D=

• April 18, 2010 at 3:41 amCherubium

I’ll join you while ripping to shred any blogging spam site that comes up on google search.

• April 18, 2010 at 3:42 amRei

EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC EPISODE. RIZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

• April 18, 2010 at 4:02 amDragonite88

Love this episode. Wow I cant believe it aswell how far we are lol.

• April 18, 2010 at 4:10 amNawar

the raws are out already……….YIPPPEEEEEE

• April 18, 2010 at 4:40 amnplm

well….that’s a great episode .
    i asked a question before but i think the post was already dead ,
    so here is my question:
    does any1 has a feeling that he heard the new opening before ,i mean in another anime and i am sure it’s not the same song but the overall feeling (i hope some1 know what i mean).

• April 18, 2010 at 6:14 pmyvee

GSD.

• April 18, 2010 at 4:52 amAznCoffee

Damn that Roy be so fine. : D

lolol Show Spoiler ▼

• April 18, 2010 at 5:29 amBlaineo

• April 18, 2010 at 11:03 amSecsuey

• April 18, 2010 at 5:11 amOuroboros

@ nplm
    yes! I had the same feeling, right when the chorus started. It’s odd… I’m pretty sure it’s a different song, but something about it feels familiar. I guess that’s how you feel when you like a song?
    The OP is definitely growing on me, though XD

Looks like an epic episode! One of my favourite scenes from the manga. I can’t wait!

• April 18, 2010 at 5:15 amMorridin

Just as a note, “Snap, oh there goes your whole body.” has the wrong picture attached :)

• April 18, 2010 at 10:14 amdivine

Fixed. Thanks.

• April 18, 2010 at 5:21 amBlaineo

The directing in this episode was pure win. Compared to last episode. I was a little disappointed with Al’s battle last week because I remember it being so much better in the manga. But this week was pure win. Every frame was awesome! :D
    That Izumi OVA looked interesting. And what’s with the Fullmetal Alchemist festival they advertised after it?

• April 18, 2010 at 5:21 amKarmafan

Its funny that you mention he is overpowered. Thats almost a prophetic comment considering whats coming (@AznCoffee’s spoiler).

• April 18, 2010 at 5:22 amkaitokitou

Definitely will watch this episode as soon as I can!!!

• April 18, 2010 at 7:47 amNemo

Wow, this episode looks amazing.

• April 18, 2010 at 8:54 amstarss

How is Hughes there!?!?

Oh wait. Envy.

• April 18, 2010 at 9:27 amPokecatcher

Interestingly enough, the eng dub version of Hughe’s death and this episode appeared on the same night.

• April 18, 2010 at 12:18 pmRal

i know right? what are the chances… i made it feel even more epic…. what are the chances

• April 18, 2010 at 10:13 amLiberta

All I can say is that:

A)This episode was awesome

B)Fire is one of the best methods when it comes vengeance: ) let ur victim suffer over a duration of time rather then being a quick death =D

• April 18, 2010 at 10:23 amDream

Is this still following the manga or it’s anime original?

• April 18, 2010 at 10:41 amCornwiggle

Dude, why would they change it now?

It’s still the manga.

• April 18, 2010 at 12:37 pmNice Holystone

Your question is one that should not be answered, lol.

• April 18, 2010 at 12:24 pmChloesong

waiting for subs >________<

• April 18, 2010 at 12:35 pmaycan

Question: If Al is not able to use his touch sensation, why does he scream all the time when he is fighting?

• April 18, 2010 at 6:25 pmkanaria

He’s getting into it? lol!

• April 18, 2010 at 12:57 pmspikey

this episode wasn’t on super fast track mode like the series has been going lately which was a pleasant surprise

• April 18, 2010 at 1:59 pmROFLWAFFLELAWL

Know whats funny? In the end you said one of thems Envy yet the preview basically shows us who it is.

Just made me chuckle a bit.

• April 18, 2010 at 4:02 pminfo600

heck, it’s too easy Show Spoiler ▼

• April 18, 2010 at 6:28 pmaaaa

• April 18, 2010 at 10:43 pmichigoat

poor envy.

yay, my favorite homunculus, sloth, is up again next ep.

• April 19, 2010 at 1:21 amender650

Great episode, I’m enjoying this version much more than the original (especially since it picked up after the first couple of episodes).

• April 19, 2010 at 2:13 amRichie

@Divine

Hey, I know this is quite out of the blue, but.. thank you for blogging! Or.. continuing to, anyways. I know there probably is a large weight upon your shoulders now and yet you’re still dedicated to running the site without Omni or much of Omni. You’re awesome.

Haha. To be honest, though. I rarely read any of your actual bloggings. I simply refresh the page every few times a day or if I haven’t been on I just scroll through all the blogs until I find something interesting or maybe see if my favorite anime have been released yet.

But even though, I still greatly greatly appreciate what you are doing. Just thought I’d let you know.
    Also, it’s kind of late and my brain doesnt function well around this time so sorry if some things dont make sense to you, lol.

I look forward to your next FMA Brootherhood blog.

• April 19, 2010 at 3:20 amabe

OMG Roy is so overrated. It is Lust all over again. The fights with Roy ALWAYS seem kinda one-sided. I mean the humonculus can survive being shot,decapitated, etc. Lust should have easily killed Roy with her extending finger blades. Envy could have easily lunged at Roy cause fire cant stop a moving object from my understanding. Or maybe Envy took it easy because he knows the roll the chosen must play in father’s plan. AGGHHH it getting to the end too fast!!!

@Divine
    Im with Richie. This site is a vital part of my anime entertainment. Everything I watch is from finding it on here.

• April 19, 2010 at 3:49 ammegalith

He can make explosions and not just flames. What he’s been doing to Envy up until now is that.

Also… Homunculus feel pain.

• April 19, 2010 at 4:53 amDarklord

Being burned causes much more damage than just being shot or even decapitated because of its consistency – the flames are consistently damaging the body of the homunculus and it is having a hard time trying to regenerate. Really, fire can kill you over and over again, which is why it is so deadly.

Besides, as megalith pointed out, getting your eyeballs burned out causes excruciating pain, which the homunculi have to tolerate in order to do anything.

• April 19, 2010 at 1:43 pmabe

yeah but these guys arent human, but it was clear they felt pain so maybe that is all that counts. It was still too one sided which is my biggest gripe. Roy doesnt go out into full combat with anyone just *snap* “Look at that I just nuked half a city” and he hasnt even seen the truth or using a philospher stone.

• April 19, 2010 at 2:12 pmSyouke

This is indeed one of the question that shouldn’t be answered. Overrated…yeah right…

• April 19, 2010 at 5:16 amNyte

Is it just me or is the outcome of the cliffhanger very very very predictable?

as in

Thats what I think though

• April 19, 2010 at 9:51 ambrianwuzhere

hint hint

• April 19, 2010 at 6:36 amahelo

epic episode. mustang is just … win!

• April 19, 2010 at 8:10 amKinny Riddle

Envy vs Mustang, the verdict? TOTAL MUSTANG PWNAGE. And loving every minute of it. :)

Envy should have seen it coming. Taunting his opponents (especially Edward) and waiting for them to make a mistake in their provoked rage so he can pounce on them with the sucker punch has always been his tried and tested tactic. But this time this tactic has seriously backfired on him when Mustang is that ridiculously powerful and now mightily pissed off to say the least.

Not only does Mustang pwn Envy, he pretty much eliminated the undead army in the Lab #3 basement in no time, compared to the brute strength Ed, Scar and co have been wasting. Surely Ed could have easily transmuted things to burn up as well?

Though when I saw that Hawkeye appearing before Mustang, I’m sure like me, most here have easily guessed that’s actually Envy before he pointed the gun at Mustang. Mustang should have adopted a password system when fighting against a shapeshifter like Envy, it’s always handy lest they infiltrate your ranks and destroy you one by one.

• April 19, 2010 at 9:17 amJeffry2010

One thing that I mentioned was, Manga oddities:-

- Bradley’s wife become Hysterical instead of Collapse?
    - May use the alchemy instead of both Envy & May falling down below?
    - This episode had More LINES unlike the manga!!
    - Riza force to enter the gate has a dialogue line?
    - I didn’t see the scene where Ed noticed the flaming sound coming from the corridor.
    - those lines in this show doesn’t even the same unlike the manga version.
    - OH COME ON!! NOT NEXT WEEK!! IS Riza Really Envy?!
    - Is this a BIG BANG FOR ROY MUSTANG?!

• April 19, 2010 at 9:28 amcurious one

Hawkeye gets one of the best lines of the series next week.

• April 19, 2010 at 9:37 amCornwiggle

Ah, ha. Judging from the previews, I see finally they’re going to include what they cut out earlier from Ishbal, regarding Riza’s tattoo. I figured it would be around this time it would be re-inserted.

• April 19, 2010 at 11:12 amEamon

Amazing animation in this ep.
    And finally the theme is getting as dark as it should have been with some nicely placed drama.

• April 19, 2010 at 1:17 pmNawar

Man , mustang isn’t overrated . He is the hero of ishbal for crying out loud . . . He is an extremely powerful alchemist especially against people who rely more on long range attack . . But i’m sure He will struggle if pitted against bradley , scar , sloth and gluttony . . Cause they rely more on close range attacks and have the speed to dodge mustang’s attacks . . . Even greed might take mustang down . . . .

• April 19, 2010 at 3:37 pmkabayongtao

Time for a Flame Alchemist: New Series.

• April 19, 2010 at 4:20 pm\g

Looks like everyone completely overlooked the Gurren Lagann reference in this episode.

• April 19, 2010 at 4:54 pmCornwiggle

You know, the world doesn’t revolve around Gurren Lagann. Here’s why no body commented on it; no one cares.

Screw your stupid overrated Gainex animes.

• April 19, 2010 at 4:58 pmManzo

Yeah. Here’s another reason:

Umm… there wasn’t one?

I noticed something about rabid Gurren Lagann fans, they think every single time anyone says a line from that’s IN Gurren Lagann, like “Who the hell do you think we are?” Which… has been around centuries before that series, it’s a Gurren Lagann reference.

There is no reference.

• April 20, 2010 at 10:54 pm\g

Never seen nor heard the line anywhere else, therefore it was in fact a GL reference. gg.

• April 21, 2010 at 6:36 amManzo

Congratulations, you’ve just proved you’re a moron.

YES, GURREN LAGANN COPYRIGHTED THE LINE “_____ IS DEAD. HE’S NO LONGER HERE”

You’ve just listed exactly why I hate every Gainex anime. Overrated to all hell, because of ADD addicted fans like you.

• April 19, 2010 at 5:10 pmSnicket

Took me a minute to find this place, since the old sight closed down.

Anyway, it looks like things are really heating up. (pun intended) Also it looks like next episode will continue with the Mustang & Envy battle, hopefully with out a lot of cuts to what else is going on.

• April 19, 2010 at 5:11 pmSnicket

Took me a minute to find this place, since the old sight closed down.

• April 19, 2010 at 11:43 pmMrRei

• April 20, 2010 at 4:04 amvin-nii

does anyone feel that Mustang mood swing was just too sudden?
    well it’s a funny overkill episode (both mustang v envy and rebel v army) so it’s okay

can’t wait till next episode since I can’t remember what happened in it (the feeling is back guys XD)

• April 20, 2010 at 6:24 amCornwiggle

Not at all. He’s been OBSESSED since episode 10 to find Hughes’ murderer. And to suddenly find him, rubbing it in his face no less, of course Mustang just exploded.