SEKIREI ~Pure Engagement~ – 00 »« SEKIREI ~Pure Engagement~ – 08

SEKIREI ~Pure Engagement~ – 09

SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   01 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   02 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   03
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   04 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   05 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   06
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   07 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   08 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   09
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   10 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   11 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   12
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   13 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   14 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   15
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   16 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   17 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   18
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   19 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   20 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   21
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   22 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   23 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   24
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   25 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   26 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   27
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   28 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   29 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   30
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   31 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   32 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   33
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   34 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   35 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   36
SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   37 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   38 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   39

「数多ノ絆」 (Amata no Kizuna)
“Multitude of Bonds”

Now that Minaka’s new two-week rule is in effect, battles between the lesser known Sekirei and Ashikabi have become a nightly occurrence. What this translates to is new Sekirei being defeated just as quickly as they are introduced, just to advance the overall plot. While that probably comes off as a bit of disappointment in the predictability of the story, I honestly can’t say it’s a bad direction since it finally gives off a sense that there’s a twisted free-for-all battle royal involving 108 Sekirei going on. After all the talk about the Sekirei Project entering the next phase, it’s about time the battles became more of a regular thing. This of course includes Yukari and Shiina, who have spent god knows how many episodes wandering the streets in search of Kusano with nothing ever happening except a lot of groin stomping on Yukari’s part. I still remember eagerly waiting for the moment that Minato and Yukari will finally learn that they’re both Ashikabi back in season one, so throwing Yukari and Shiina in the mix is definitely a welcomed turn of events if it means there’s a chance they’ll be picked up by Matsu’s radar.

Incidentally, this marks the first time we’ve seen Shiina’s Death Garden ability in action on another Sekirei, which quite frankly seem overpowered since it’s more like a death touch that destroys living and nonliving matter alike. The victim of his demonstration was the giant hammer wielding No.84 Yashima (Hikasa Youko), who I’m actually relieved to see parted from her abusive Ashikabi, Tanigawa Junichi (Miyasaka Shunzou). Yashima may have been a masochist that enjoyed the mistreatment she was getting, but I for one didn’t enjoy watching her take it. Their relationship was definitely verging on spousal abuse levels, which Youko’s role in Seikon no Qwaser undoubtedly made her an easy candidate to play Yashima. Admittedly, I failed to recognize her voice during it all, suggesting that she’s still got some range she hasn’t used in any major roles just yet. It was noticeably different from the Akiyama Mio, Amakusa Shino, and Kumashiro Maya voices that she’s using in her other starring roles this season.

In any case, we also saw No.73 Namiji (Fujimura Ayumi) and her Ashikabi, Takano Kouji (Abe Atsushi), the first of which was another example of my ears not picking up a voice I normally would. After learning that it’s actually Ayumi, part of me couldn’t help but think that both her and Youko are pushing the innocent, soft-spoken voices to help contrast their often defiled ones in Seikon no Qwaser. For those watching Kaichou no Maid-sama, you can also think of Namiji and Kouji as Misaki and Hinata hitting it off, even though it’s unlikely that they’ll see too much more screen time. It’s been a long time coming, but Uzume’s subplot is finally being brought to the forefront in this sequel, overshadowing anything that may come from the lesser Sekirei. With Higa forcing her hand and her willing to try and take out Musubi and Tsukiumi for Chiho’s sake, Uzume looks almost sickeningly deranged at this point. I can’t really say there’s a lot of suspense regarding their upcoming battle next time, but I am curious to see what happens once Kazehana shows up as the one intent on stopping Uzume. Higa also contacted Seo for some reason, so there’s that aspect to look forward to as well.

On a character-related note, it was nice to see Tsukiumi relieved about Minato being her Ashikabi, after seeing the strange relationships between Junichi/Yashima and Yukari/Shiina. It probably gave her the motivation to win the mud wresting game for Minato’s affection like she did. Plot-wise, it’s been a while since we’ve seen a Norito used (kiss that powers up a Sekirei), so I’m left wondering what Minato can do if he locks lips with all six of his Sekirei one after another. At this point, he has twice the number of Sekirei as Natsuo’s Disciplinary Force, making him the undisputed powerhouse of Shintou Teito as far as I’m concerned.

Note: I will be covering the uncensored fan-service-filled episode zero that was included with the recently released first BD/DVD volume. Screen caps have already been taken, but I didn’t get around to writing a post for it last weekend.

SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   Preview 01 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   Preview 02 SEKIREI Pure Engagement   09   Preview 03
August 31, 2010 at 2:51 am
  • August 31, 2010 at 2:59 amRei

UZUMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
    Daw my lord Kuu is too cute o3o

• August 31, 2010 at 3:01 amMajik

Filler.

• August 31, 2010 at 3:18 amwhoa

what happened high schol of the dead update

• August 31, 2010 at 3:25 amDivine

Kiiragi’s still working on it.

• August 31, 2010 at 3:27 amfluidity

I was thinking that the previews show a little too much of what’s going to happen next episode,kinda kills the suspense of not knowing what’s gonna happen next.Hopefully they should tone it down a bit.

• August 31, 2010 at 3:37 amgawrshness

divine, do you personally recommend this series? Watching these screenshots implies that the series is one of those ecchi animes with awkward jokes and actions

• August 31, 2010 at 4:23 amDivine

Only if that kind of stuff doesn’t bother you. It’s not the focus of the series, but it’s definitely part of its appeal.

• August 31, 2010 at 3:45 amFlamingYu

• August 31, 2010 at 4:48 amMorridin

Hmmz, I actualy read the title as “multitude of boobs”.

• August 31, 2010 at 5:35 amcutemi2

• August 31, 2010 at 5:59 amKarmafan

I love this series. It has good action, beautifully drawn characters second only to Asobi Ni Ku Yo this season, a good plot, and while it does have a good amount of fan service its no where near over the top like High School Of The Dead. They do need to scale back the previews giving away any suspense of the cliffhangers. Definately worth 24 minutes of your life each week.

• August 31, 2010 at 3:30 pmAshen

Couldn’t agree with you more, comrade. And this is comin’ from a girl.

I love Yukari and Shiina’s relationship, so I’m always thrilled to see them featured again. Uzume’s role in the series is good, too. <3

Thanks for covering this series. I can't wait to read your review on the Uncensored ver. too!

• August 31, 2010 at 8:00 amewok40k

Tsukiumi getting frightened by Yukari was hilarious…
    Is it a season of a perverted imouto? (SYD and Amagami get those too…)

• August 31, 2010 at 12:09 pmDa5id

Huh. I do not remember this happening in the manga. In fact, I think Minato found out about Uzume’s alter ego only recently.

Though, I guess ending the season suddenly in the middle of the Third Stage WOULD be kind of awkward.

• August 31, 2010 at 4:42 pmZnail

Seems to me that they are skipping all the shinki battles and are thus basically caught up with the manga. Let’s hope they don’t mess anything up so badly that they can’t make any continuation.

• August 31, 2010 at 3:27 pmEliteF22

Their going with an anime original ending I guess.

• August 31, 2010 at 5:33 pmKarmafan

No they are prolly gonna skip all the Shinki stuff and add that in a 3rd season. Most likely they will resolve the Uzume/ashikabe thing (even tho it hasn’t completely played out in the manga yet) and have shinki stuff in a 3rd season. That will let the manga play out farther ahead as well.

Its also possible they will do the shinki battles this season but with only a few more episodes left this season it would be rushed and jamed in at the last minute.

• August 31, 2010 at 6:22 pmZnail

Hmm, there are a few important things apart from the shinki battles missing now that has happened before this point in the manga. Yukari’s troubles and that they actually came to hospital prepared to rescue the ashikabi with a deal in place with Minaka for MBI to cure her.

• August 31, 2010 at 8:32 pmIsland Esper

Anime original: MUD fight!!!!! But Uzume vs Minato’s sekirei is a huge skip from the manga. Actually the shinki battles are fun and Minato’s groups shines! I think they will bring that in somehow. Seo’s is my favorite in his battle! If Ikkitousen has 4 seasons this series needs 8 seasons stop skipping!!!!!!
    Also Shina and Yukaria in their search for Kusano had a couple of victories before this one in the manga. I hope I’m wrong but this jump takes a toll in the dept of Uzume character. Maybe is ruse of the producers and nothing will come out of this cliffhanger.

• September 1, 2010 at 6:49 amZnail

Reading 104 of the manga so does this episode seem to break totally with the manga. It doesn’t look like Uzume will even fight the harem in the manga. I guess it’s fine as long as none actually gets killed off in the fighting.

• August 31, 2010 at 8:36 pmcode fanboy

I find this the most decent fight scene of the episode.

• September 1, 2010 at 3:10 amDaniel

A shame that Hikasa Youko got killed off in a matter of minutes =\

• September 5, 2010 at 7:26 am0927123

lol, so true. Killed of by “Death Garden”

• September 1, 2010 at 11:44 amKarmafan

The latest episode of the manga hit the stands today and the shit really hits the fan with the Uzume vs. Minato’s harem. It was too short a manga episode too. Here is what happened…

• September 3, 2010 at 9:54 pmLectro Volpi

At least Yashima is out of her misery, I did not feel pleasure from her… more like resignation.

Poor Uzume, she’s losing it and I mean it!

• September 4, 2010 at 6:28 pmZnail

• September 1, 2010 at 4:00 pmAex

Right, Shiina’s winging got dragged out to hell in season 1, didn’t it? In the manga Matsu already knows that Yukari is Shiina’s Ashikabi, but not so sure if she’s had time to find out here since that winging happened during the bridge event in the anime. Why the mother didn’t tell Minato when she saw him is beyond me…

• September 1, 2010 at 4:28 pmAznCoffee

• September 3, 2010 at 9:56 pmLectro Volpi

That Shiina is a total trap. Just be a girl damn it!

• September 5, 2010 at 7:28 am0927123

I have to agree with you. =/

• February 17, 2011 at 8:15 amgraphic design careers

I unquestionably accept as true with what you have mentioned. Actually, I browsed throughout your additional content articles and I do think you’re absolutely correct. Best wishes with this website.