Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector – 19 »« Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector – 17

Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector – 18

Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   01 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   02 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   03
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   04 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   05 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   06
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   07 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   08 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   09
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   10 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   11 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   12
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   13 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   14 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   15
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   16 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   17 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   18
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   19 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   20 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   21
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   22 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   23 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   24
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   25 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   26 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   27
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   28 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   29 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   30
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   31 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   32 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   33
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   34 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   35 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   36
Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   37 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   38 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   39

「誘う鬼火」 (Izanau Onibi)
“Luring Will-O’-The-Wisp”

Even with the foreshadowing on Daitetsu’s inevitable fate and the fact that I knew it was coming, it had a lot more impact than I imagined. I got a little choked up during the final send-off, especially when Kyousuke showed up in his bruised and battered state to pay his respects. It was more than enough to overshadow Excellen’s fate with the Einst anyway. After all, seeing Alfimi brainwash her with a kiss was more fan-service than anything else, even though it did set things up nicely for the latter half when Kyousuke was frantic about saving her. It doesn’t look like he’ll be able to do so anytime soon, so in that sense, the extra build-up towards that moment was appreciated.

After a bit more backstory on Sophia Nate (Doi Mika), I like the direction the story’s taking with our heroes finally taking the initiative by investigating the Earth Cradle, where Archibald, Feff, and Setme have been manipulating lives and pulling the strings from the background. It feels like they’ve been strung along all this time after Grusman seized power of the Earth Federation, so it’s refreshing to see all of them, as well as Yuuki and Carla, decide for themselves on what to do next. However, I was surprised to see Shuu Shirakawa (Koyasu Takehito) show up, and be in the same room as Masaki no less. If there’s any reason to believe that the Hagane, Kurogane, and Hiryuu Custom crews won’t proceed sabotage-free from now on, he would be it. There was no sight of his Granzon, but Axel of all people comes back in style with his repaired Soulgain, complete with his “Dark Knight” theme. That had to be for fans of the game though, since it’s clearly losing sight of who the good guys are in the story.

There wasn’t too much else to take away from the rest of this intermission-type episode, where everyone on the Earth Federation and Inspector/Shadow Mirror sides recomposed themselves and decided on where to go from here. The next episode is a different story though, as it’s finally addressing the Choukijin we saw all the way back in episode two. In hindsight, it sort of makes sense to have them show up again now, after the Einst have established their presence with dominating numbers. In any case, Bullet and Kusuha are due for a Grungust upgrade, namely RyuKoOh seen in the opening sequence and its alternate form, KoRyuOh. Robot upgrades are always the highlight stages in the games, much like they’ve been in this adaptation, so it should be fun to watch.

Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   Preview 01 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   Preview 02 Super Robot Wars OG The Inspector   18   Preview 03
February 8, 2011 at 1:10 am
  • February 8, 2011 at 1:51 amfragb85

Yay for Alfimi’s lesbian kiss! Considering who she is based on, it shouldn’t be a surprise.

Also, who’s bright idea was it to send Masaki on patrol? He was lucky to have come across Shu, otherwise he would end up on another continent.

• February 8, 2011 at 2:32 amkn09

now that you mention it,,, :D
      It is kind of ridiculous to send Masaki on patrol. ALONE. Heck, he just might end up on earth cradle, facing the enemy…

• February 8, 2011 at 1:18 pmRockmanshii

I’m pretty sure he did 3 laps of the earth sphere before finding the Kurogane.

• February 8, 2011 at 6:19 pmClinton

um isn’t Alfimi a clone of Excellen

• February 9, 2011 at 9:50 amJ Jay

Erm no, she isn’t. She’s actually

• February 10, 2011 at 7:05 pmClinton

but a never played the game so i did not know sorry

• February 8, 2011 at 2:26 ampaulrenzo

For a series that focuses more on the action vs the story/characters, the Daitetsu funeral was nicely done.

I also liked that little “interaction” between Kyosuke and Beowulf (though I would have preferred it to be a bit longer). He went a little bit out-of-character in his “where’s excellen” moment though; IIRC he was a bit more calm / composed in the game.

Finally, Soulgain in all it’s awesome glory. Too bad it was a tad too short.

• February 9, 2011 at 12:44 pmlemonfanboy

I’m sorry, Kyosuke and Beowulf? I’m not sure what you mean, ‘cuz Beowulf IS Kyosuke – albeit an Einst-infected evil psychopath version – in Axel’s home dimension (See the Ep1 prologue)

• February 8, 2011 at 2:58 amBreedo

I got a little choked at the salute scene. Well done. Also it reallly makes me tingle when I see the tiger growling. Ahhh memories of Voltron. Here him roar and you’re all gonna burn! Awesomeness.

• February 8, 2011 at 3:49 ammagixiii

Is there anything special about Soulgain’s new gold blade or was that just something to make it look cooler?

• February 8, 2011 at 7:11 pmShiden

He left the old one in Beowulf in the Shadow-Mirror universe, so he needed a new one. As for the color… well, rule of cool and all, right?

• February 8, 2011 at 4:36 amSIlivious

Awesome episode, eh? I can’t wait for the next. :D

• February 8, 2011 at 6:13 amBossun

Is the Granzon going to have major upgrades? That machine was already a mad destroyer

• February 8, 2011 at 7:05 amSuppa Tenko

I don’t think that happens in OGS.

Either way, Manly Tears were shed that day.

• February 8, 2011 at 7:12 amVermillion

Neo Granzon? Yes, Granzon has an upgrade.

• February 8, 2011 at 5:10 pmTimeDiver

I think there will be no Granzon appearance on this series. If they are following the game version Shu will just appear talking at the background.

• February 8, 2011 at 8:17 amJ Jay

Looks like I can miss Star Driver this week – in thirty seconds, Shu’s brought my weekly dose of FABULOUS!

Not long to go after this before things really kick off (as if they haven’t already), but IIRC the major factions are all in place now. I think there will be one more episode focused on The School/Machinery Children [and hopefully I don't have to say why], but after that we can look forward to the Earth Fed suits pounding all manner of human aliens back into their own galaxy/time/dimension.

I’m also a little surprised that nobody has mentioned the Rein Weiss you must have spotted in the preview …

• February 8, 2011 at 9:42 amsquall23

Next week, the strongest robot in the story of OG2 arrives.

• February 8, 2011 at 10:10 amfragb85

I’m fairly certain that story-wise Neo Granzon is the strongest on OG continuity.

• February 8, 2011 at 5:29 pmDendoh_fanboy

Heck no. Story-wise, in entire OG continuity, the strongest so far is Show Spoiler ▼

. Neo Granzon doesn’t stand a crap of a chance against that guy.

And I wasn’t talking about all of OG, I was talking about OG2.

• February 8, 2011 at 5:46 pmfragb85

doesn’t count its not really a robot but some freaky alien….thing. And of course its more powerful. I could add Show Spoiler ▼

to that list but its still doesn’t count.

• February 9, 2011 at 4:54 amTI

Neo Granzon was a piece of cake to kill in OGG. All that theory about Neo Granzon being so strong are just bullshit.

• February 10, 2011 at 2:55 amfragb85

I said strongest IN STORY. Gameplay mechanics don’t count, since we could argue forever as to how Gundams could pierce the AT fields of an Angel or some other crap. I don’t even like the Granzon, still the canon text explicitly shows what it can do.

And there are still several Banpresto Originals that can surpass the Granzon. They just haven’t appeared in OG yet.

• February 8, 2011 at 1:04 pmThrudgelmir

I feel that writing out Lee’s involvement in Langley ruins a minor-but-well-handled subplot in OG2, that being Tetsuya’s character development. Now…it’ll just feel…weird and forced. Plus that means that Lee is still alive and I vehemently DESPISE any universe where that jerk is alive.

• February 8, 2011 at 7:13 pmShiden

Granted they turned his general jackassery waaaaay down here, but unlike Axel, I think there’s just too much bad blood around Lee for people to not want to see him get a Bad End.

• February 8, 2011 at 2:16 pmRockmanshii

When watching this episode, tears isn’t the only liquid that got out of my body if you know what I mean, maaaaan that kiss… , and Shu, and then Soulgain with dark knight playing, holy crap. They sure know how to please fans, that can’t be said enough.
    And yeah the Rein is in the preview, and chokijin too. We were all impatient for them.
    The most shocking things for me there was the kiss, and that person talking to Kyosuke in his sleep that seems to be Beowulf. They may have changed some things, but only chronologically and all, it’s the first time they do something completely new.I hope they know what they’re doing.

• February 8, 2011 at 2:50 pmarixx

One question just pop into my head does the VA of Excellen, Alfimi, and Lemon get pay more than the other VA, since she basically play all 3 roles.

• February 8, 2011 at 5:44 pmDivine

Most likely, no.

• February 9, 2011 at 12:39 pmlemonfanboy

Well Akira Ishida, who voices Mekibos, also voices all three of Arado’s psycho-evil-clones.
      But to answer your question, no, I doubt it.
      And Shu is just badass. Just him BEING THERE gives the episode an instant +20 Badass

• February 8, 2011 at 6:19 pmthe_one092001

I agree that writing out the Lee Linjun subplot after more than a bit of hinting at Lee’s dissatisfaction is disappointing. We even had some hinting at the relationship between Tetsuya and Lee when the Hagane first rescued the Shirogane, but evidently that was all homage and no action.

• February 9, 2011 at 12:35 amSetsu

And if some one watched closely Exelen and her new Show Spoiler ▼

will be back next week, welcome Show Spoiler ▼

• February 9, 2011 at 2:55 amcrav3

Just pondering one thing…did any1 notice about vigaji new mech? any comment on the hidden right arm ^^

• February 9, 2011 at 11:22 amgecd

• February 10, 2011 at 8:32 amRockmanshii

LOL Now that you say it it really looks like a pose from JoJo. Shu is THAT badass.

• February 10, 2011 at 1:15 pmDivine

Shuu’s pose looked so random and out of place in that scene, so I had to include a screen cap of it.

• February 9, 2011 at 10:34 pmBROOKLYN otaku