Kami-sama Dolls – 03 »« Kami-sama Dolls – 01

Kami sama Dolls   02   19 Kami sama Dolls   02   20 Kami sama Dolls   02   21
Kami sama Dolls   02   22 Kami sama Dolls   02   23 Kami sama Dolls   02   24
Kami sama Dolls   02   25 Kami sama Dolls   02   26 Kami sama Dolls   02   27
Kami sama Dolls   02   28 Kami sama Dolls   02   29 Kami sama Dolls   02   30
Kami sama Dolls   02   31 Kami sama Dolls   02   32 Kami sama Dolls   02   33
Kami sama Dolls   02   34 Kami sama Dolls   02   35 Kami sama Dolls   02   36

「神様の特訓」 (Kami-sama no Tokkun)
“God’s Special Training”

After a somewhat feverish start with the arrival of Aki last time, the story changes gears to a more humorous and setup-like tone with the introduction of Hibino’s N University friend, Karahari Kuuko (Sawashiro Miyuki). Founder of the “True Science Club”, Kuuko is a feisty and controlling type of character that we don’t see Miyuki voicing very often, making her a refreshing addition to the cast for that reason alone. I got a good chuckle out of how hypocritical she is, telling people not to point at her and snapping back their finger if they do so when she herself doesn’t hesitate to do so. Other than breaking fingers, what she adds to the story is her inquisitive personality, which should prove problematic for Kyouhei and Utao now that she’s caught a glimpse of Kukuri. Throw in the fact that her father Kyousuke (Kirimoto Takuya) is a detective who’s looking into the recent murders and the incident at Kyouhei’s apartment, and their village’s secrets are at further risk of being exposed to outsiders.

At the moment, it doesn’t seem like a big deal considering that Hibino quickly accepted the existence of Kakashi, but I question whether the same can be said about Kuuko without a fair bit of “resistance”. Regardless, I suspect she’ll be pulled into the loop before long — just not before Kyouhei frantically panics for a good while. I’m actually hoping that Kuuko becomes more central to the story sooner rather than later, simply because she’s aware that Hibino has some feelings toward Kyouhei, and that the latter hasn’t picked up on any of the signs. It didn’t occur to me until now, but Kyouhei and Hibino mark the quick reunion of Okamoto Nobuhiko and rising female seiyuu Kayano Ai as romantic love interests, which we first saw in Yumekui Merry between Yumeji and Isana. I just hope Kyouhei and Hibino make more progress than those two did.

In the meantime, Utao’s been doing an admirable job sparking any potential romantic developments between the two of them, as Kyouhei has used the little sister tactic to pick up girls without even realizing it. Utao is just too adorable to watch, especially when she’s struggling to control Kukuri, so I really don’t see how anyone wouldn’t be charmed by her. I did kind of feel bad for her since Kyouhei’s quick to call her an idiot when she’s clearly very fond of her big brother, so it was nice to see Kyouhei pick up on that fact and pat her on the head for a rescue job well done — at least temporarily. Judging from Kyouhei’s flashbacks, I think it’s pretty obvious that he was much more talented at manipulating Kukuri than he claims, and the real reason he abandoned his role as its Seki was because of a past incident that was likely spurred on by Aki. I gather he didn’t trust himself with that type of power, but it still kind of irks me how he pushed that burden to Utao, even if she and Kukuri seem to be really good friends.

It’ll definitely be interesting to see how Kyouhei protects himself, let alone anyone else (i.e. Hibino) without a Kakashi of his own. Aki is free again as expected, and we have another Seki, Hyuuga Koushirou (Murase Katsuki), dispatched to help out. It shouldn’t be long before we see Hyuuga Mahiru (Hanazawa Kana) as well, who will likely be a third wheel to Kyouhei and Hibino.

* It was just a PlayStation 2 that was broken. It’s okay, they’re expendable nowadays.

Kami sama Dolls   02   Preview 01 Kami sama Dolls   02   Preview 02 Kami sama Dolls   02   Preview 03

Omake

Kami sama Dolls   02   Omake 01 Kami sama Dolls   02   Omake 02 Kami sama Dolls   02   Omake 03

The Konami Code is famous… too famous. Ah, the good ‘ol Contra days.

July 12, 2011 at 3:45 pm
  • July 12, 2011 at 3:59 pmZero

0_0

NOT THE PS2!!!!!!!!!!!!

• July 12, 2011 at 4:00 pmZero

But its ok… from that tear, the Doll is repentant…

It better be….

• July 12, 2011 at 4:35 pmCroos

Well I think that Kyouhei left the village because
    1.)Kakashi was to much powerful for him
    2.)”The Shrine” orders seike like a military dog.
    3.)He just want to forget the traumatic experience
    I was also going to put Kuga to but I think he got berserk when Kyouhei already left.

I would die just to get a PS2 for free. I still have some games i would like to try.

And the Konami Code lacks A B.(I guess its a license thing)

• July 15, 2011 at 7:38 amSpacyRicochet

Unless Konami actually advertises with the Code and has it trademarked, licenses have very little to do with how many people decide to display or use it.

The BA lacking would probably be more to the fact that humans don’t have BA-buttons.

• July 12, 2011 at 5:05 pmJustin

Wrong. I believe it was a RS II that was broken.

• July 12, 2011 at 5:08 pmClick

I love this series just for this. That’s a much, much more believable and (probably more embarrassing) situation than most anime series portray these days :P

WHAT. EXPENDABLE!?!?! I STILL USE ONE OF THEM TO PLAY FINAL FANTASY X

• July 12, 2011 at 10:06 pmOtaku_Brawler

I am still playing Kingdom Hearts I, II, and Chain of Memories.
      I would so cry to see mine get crushed before my eye. lol

• July 12, 2011 at 5:26 pmKarmafan

I’m guessing Aki went postal and murdered a bunch of people and after seeing what Aki did with his doll Kyouhei lost his interest in controlling a doll so the job fell to his little sister. He was probably some sort of a prodigy until the massacre.

If this Aki is as homicidal as he appears to be then the village should have executed him or at least stripped him of his doll. Then again if they did that we wouldn’t have much of a story to unfold for us.

Of course I’m also guessing down the road his sister is going to be kidnapped or disabled somehow and he is gonna have to step back into the job as the doll’s master. I like the musical sound the doll makes while its working. Can’t really tell if its making any real words or thats just a sound effect of some kind.

• July 12, 2011 at 5:45 pmNhelraios

That lullaby-like song playing?

• July 12, 2011 at 6:35 pmKarmafan

• July 12, 2011 at 8:36 pmNhelraios

Ah that one, I like it too, though it reminds me of Chitose from Softenni for some reason.

• July 13, 2011 at 2:09 amHrmmm

It’d be more interesting BY FAR if it was Kyouhei that murdered everyone and blamed it on Aki.

I’m sure Aki hinted at Kyouhei’s ‘real’ personality somewhere in ep 1.

• July 13, 2011 at 6:06 amKarmafan

Seeing how the 2 boys are I find it kinda unbelievable that Aki is the sane one and he is the homicidal maniac. Hell he so innocent he blushes when he thinks about Hibino’s tits.

• July 13, 2011 at 3:53 pmHrmmm

All the more reason for it to be interesting that way =]

Complete fake out personalities – good guy turns out to be bad guy / bad guy turns out to be good guy thing.

• July 12, 2011 at 5:31 pmNhelraios

This so far looks interesting. I cant wait to see what really happened back then and what made him stop being a seki. Utao is just so cute, is that Ace Combat she’s playing? PS: Is it just me who gets Bokurano vibes from the OP and ED?

• July 12, 2011 at 5:36 pmhaseo0408

She couldn´t even make Kukuri get a cup of chocolate without destroying the cup and she thinks she can make it plat with a PS2!!??. Utao doesn´t need training, what she needs is a whole lot of common sense.

• July 12, 2011 at 6:07 pmCroos

lol.

• July 12, 2011 at 6:14 pmUnknownVoid

This anime is great and very well set up in my opinion. I have a feeling that Kyouhei will be able to control Kukuri again at some point to take care of exactly what Divine mentioned with him being powerless currently (partly because the opening has him paired with Kukuri in one scene). Splitting up the users of Kukuri this way makes it possible for them to have much stronger people show up as long as Kyouhei takes over for Utao while still introducing us at a steady pace with Utao as the weaker Seki. All the while, Utao can get stronger herself for a potentially epic moment for her. That is assuming this anime starts to focus a bit more on the action side later on. Until then, we all get to enjoy a nice slice of life romantic comedy with robots. This is quickly becoming the best of the season for me.

• July 12, 2011 at 7:10 pmAex

Please don’t let this turn into a harem thing. Kuuko doesn’t seem like she’ll take any interest in Kyouhei so it should be fine, and Hibino and Utao are good in their sister-type relationship, even if Utao looks like she’s ready to kill Kyouhei for falling all over Hibino. I just want more action and plot, not harem antics. Those are good and all, but not here. Kyouhei needs more common-sense and dignity before that.

• July 12, 2011 at 7:26 pmKam7r

omg boobs !

• July 13, 2011 at 1:43 pmRicalloo

No joke. Those boobs are ridiculous. How to they stay so upright? How do none of the other characters not make comments about them. They are epic!

• July 12, 2011 at 10:05 pmlkaze

you know, i said if there would be any sort of battle royale. It going to be very noisy with all the song in place

• July 12, 2011 at 11:14 pmKen

You may call me slow. But I am still unclear why did Hibino got upset when Kyo saw him. Was it really solely because of what she wears? I wasn’t expecting much ecchi from this show so I can’t justify this question.

• July 13, 2011 at 2:16 amHrmmm

This. I had no idea either, I just played it off as Kyouhei using the chicks toilet.

• July 13, 2011 at 6:49 amKen

Correct me if I wrong. I thought that houses in Japan where usually designed to have a single unisex bathroom/toilet. So the thought that Hibino became embarrassed (or perhaps offended) because of Kyo using the toilet never occured to me.

• July 13, 2011 at 4:51 amBlue

Yeah, I think they’re just being prudes. I have no idea why they were so embarrassed. My best guess is that maybe because he had his hands under his clothes?

• July 13, 2011 at 6:46 amKen

Yeah, that was my second thought.. But then I wasn’t expecting that “those” kind of open-thoughts (where eroticism) won’t occur on this kind of show. (Well, they designed Hibino with those racks, maybe targeted to male viewers, so maybe I had a expectation failure).

• July 13, 2011 at 7:55 amAex

That was my thought too. Think she was offended or embarrassed that HE was walking around in just his underwear and a shirt, plus he was “scratching”… :x So yeah, kinda prudish but sorta understandable when a guy moves into a girl’s house.

• July 13, 2011 at 5:09 pmangecornu

I believe it’s because he was standing atop the stairs, thus accidentally looking down her shirt.

• July 13, 2011 at 9:47 pmRicalloo

It still has me confused. I guess guys aren’t allowed to act like guys around women or something…

Here, that is commonplace… ^_^

• July 13, 2011 at 10:03 pmDivine

I’m pretty sure it was because Kyouhei was in his underwear and scratching himself — a pretty unsightly scene for a girl as innocent as Hibino.

• July 14, 2011 at 12:03 amKen

Lol, I never thought that they consider shorts as underwears (i.e boxer shorts) in Japan. Or maybe because Kyo was acting as if he is in his own house, not considering a girl of the same age as he is living on the same roof.

• July 13, 2011 at 3:00 amHireyuki

I would like the show better if it had better art. Kukuri’s body is a column. An effing non-interesting column.

• July 14, 2011 at 7:36 amSeishu Otoko

I’m very interested to see where this anime is going. Just marathoned 6 tankobon of Kamisama Dolls and there’s no way they can fit everything into 13 episodes, but based on some the teaser scenes that we’ve seen so far, it seems like they intend to cover most of the character back stories.
    The manga has gotten a bit too dramatic for my taste so I’m hoping they have a good anime original ending :D

• July 14, 2011 at 8:34 amc2710

• July 17, 2011 at 3:15 amdefunktbots

haha i laughed hard when Utao dropped Kuuko and the slave into the lake.!!

really enjoying this so far.

• July 17, 2011 at 5:38 amewok40k

while Kuuka is good comedic relief, police are another story they can eventually get on the trail of the village’s secrets…

• August 24, 2011 at 1:01 amsynkronized

Just started watching Kamisama Dolls. I have to say they pull off the situational humor better than many comedies I’ve seen. It provides a nice spin on things.

The characters themselves feel pretty solid too. They seem to all have flaws and quirks but nothing so far that really pisses me off like some other characters from other series.

• October 2, 2011 at 5:12 pmchina ktv girls

great article, thanks for this.