Yuruyuri – 04 »« Yuruyuri – 02

Yuruyuri   03   19 Yuruyuri   03   20 Yuruyuri   03   21
Yuruyuri   03   22 Yuruyuri   03   23 Yuruyuri   03   24
Yuruyuri   03   25 Yuruyuri   03   26 Yuruyuri   03   27
Yuruyuri   03   28 Yuruyuri   03   29 Yuruyuri   03   30
Yuruyuri   03   31 Yuruyuri   03   32 Yuruyuri   03   33
Yuruyuri   03   34 Yuruyuri   03   35 Yuruyuri   03   36

「ウチくる!?・・・いくいくっ!」 (Uchi Kuru!? …Iku Iku!)
“Wanna Come Over!? …Let’s Go, Let’s Go!”

I think Akari should just be content about kicking off the start of every episode, because her lack of presence is getting the best of her even when she’s narrating — outdone by Chinatsu, Sakurako, and Himawari merely taking their seats around her. To add insult to injury, leave it up to Kyouko to remind herself not to forget about her too.

By now, I don’t think it’s any secret that Kyouko is my favorite character, even though it surprises me to a certain degree since I rarely favor the most idiotic character in a slice-of-life series. There are some exceptions however, such as Matsuoka Miu in Ichigo Mashimaro due to her manzai-like chemistry with Itou Chika. In Yuruyuri, we have Yui to complete that combination and create a very similar character dynamic, plus Ayano to add a very different one. There’s very little doubt that Kyouko is the catalyst of this series, providing all the light lesbian humor when our human blood fountain Chitose isn’t around. Without her, we’d probably have another series about a group of relatively normal middle school girls that’s missing the subtle yet defining yuri aspect. From that perspective, it’s a lot easier to justify why Kyouko’s my favorite.

Compared to their seniors, Akari and Chinatsu are just cute subjects to be preyed upon, unlike their fellow first-year friends, squirrel and snake Himawari and Sakurako, who can probably star in their very own series. When they’re not the focus of a gag, they’re primarily an audience for the others’ goofy interactions, reacting to whatever messed-up thought that’s running through Kyouko’s head. They definitely have more of a support role in the comedy, but are just as crucial to the overall delivery as the silly girl who tends to spark it. For example, Chinatsu’s admiration of Yui is simply begging for a wild lesbian fantasy care of Chitose, who was sorely missed in this episode.

After the initial shock over Yui living alone, the visit to her apartment was only mildly amusing at best. It had some funny moments like when Kyouko got stomped on, plus several cuter ones to balance her idiocy out, but nothing to the level of a raging student council vice president and her fantasizing friend. Even without the same level of laughs, I didn’t really enjoy this episode any less than the previous one though. It’s always nice to see them change things up to the cuter side of the series, rather than constantly playing off the yuri bit until it’s completely overused. Doing so actually makes me look forward to seeing more of the student council’s involvement next time. Funny things seem to happen when the stupidity ratio is higher.

Yuruyuri   03   Preview 01 Yuruyuri   03   Preview 02 Yuruyuri   03   Preview 03
July 18, 2011 at 9:30 pm
  • July 18, 2011 at 9:46 pmSkattack

I’m loving how the pronounced yuri pairings in this show make the interactions much different than traditional SoL.

• July 18, 2011 at 10:04 pmMC

Right now I’m wondering what it would be like to have Kana from Minamike and Kyouko in the same room @_@

• July 18, 2011 at 10:13 pmMC

I didn’t think about Miu until I read your blog. Lol Kana’s one of my all time favorite characters and Miu was pretty good too, but Kyouko is surprisingly mature and it really increases her charm.

• July 18, 2011 at 11:45 pminnerchihiro

• July 18, 2011 at 11:46 pminnerchihiro

Holy shit, the banner just changed.

• July 19, 2011 at 1:10 amJX

What’s the name of the anime the characters in the banner are in?

• July 19, 2011 at 1:56 amNhelraios

Guilty Crown by Production I.G.

• July 19, 2011 at 2:09 amSmuglord

First time I’ve seen a banner on this site for an anime that has not even aired yet.___.

• July 19, 2011 at 3:50 amHrmmm

FABULOUS banner

Makes me want to watch that there animu alot actually

• July 19, 2011 at 7:21 amSaya

Is it me or is that redjuice on the banner? D: oh my god oh my god oh my god. *googles*

• July 19, 2011 at 7:58 amlkaze

I suppose this mean, that Guilty Crown is going to be flagship of RC next season.

• July 19, 2011 at 2:28 amdeafvader

See here http://randomc.net/image/Miscellaneous/Banner/guilty-crown.jpg
      Anime called Guilty Crown to be released October… check myanimelist or animenewsnetwork for more info.

• July 19, 2011 at 7:16 amPremier

Anyone knows what happened to the side banners? They’ve been missing for quite some time

• July 19, 2011 at 12:17 pmDivine

I removed them and haven’t found anything to replace them with yet.

• July 19, 2011 at 12:48 pmShirt

Sometimes I feel like making one. It’d be kinda cool to see gif-like cutouts of some of the staff’s favorite screenshots popping out from underneath the webpage for a sidebar.

• July 19, 2011 at 1:08 amJX

I love kyouko too!

• July 19, 2011 at 2:13 amNhelraios

Mini Yui-senpai looks a lot like Azunyan.

Pretty fun episode, I got a good laugh of Kyouko’s delusions.

A gif of Kyouko doorbell spamming would be nice. XD

• July 19, 2011 at 2:30 amAlec

Akarin is getting more and more irrelevant every episode

• July 19, 2011 at 2:31 amFlamingYu

Kyouko is the reason I watch this…otherwise,
    No thanks, Yuri is not right for me.

And yea, doorbell spam! Gif it

• July 19, 2011 at 2:32 ammac65

I wasn’t sure about the 1st two episodes, but I enjoyed
    this which seemed to highlight the friendship between
    Yui and Kyouko.

I especially noticed the OP sequence – the twist was
    that she rolled with the punches and just continued on
    with the monologue – funny!

• July 19, 2011 at 4:12 amlegacytyphoon

Oh man, this screen cap just spoke to me, I loved this one. I saw it at the top of the page and went and immediately watched the episode before commenting here.

Poor Akari, they cut her off. Had me laughing a bit, seems like a pretty fun series.

• July 19, 2011 at 5:02 amstarss

Oh my God why didn’t you talk about THE PHOTO ALBUM!!?? SHE WAS SHOOO CUTE!!

• July 19, 2011 at 5:22 amamado

when kyoko was imagining about akarin’s hair, the 2nd one seems to be a shout-out to azumanga daioh.

and yeah, I also love kyoko. she also is quite nice and observant under.
    I now ship kyokoXyui even if neither of them have really shown romantic interest in either.

• July 19, 2011 at 5:39 amanon

well most of the romantic interests seem one-sided (Ayano -> Kyoko, Chinatsu -> Yui, Kyoko -> Chinatsu). Only the tsundere couple is fairly obvious. YuixKyoko is…pretty mature/calm, since they’ve known each other for so long. It’s subtle but they act like a married couple xD

• July 21, 2011 at 2:17 amhammock

i do think kyoko likes yui.

• July 19, 2011 at 5:50 amCroos

dogy hand

i like this pic

• July 19, 2011 at 8:47 amAndre

Funny episode with less ecchi/lesbian references and more true honest comedy. The funny part was the animation quality, that was pretty awful in this episode, but did have some kind of charm attached to it.

• July 19, 2011 at 10:17 amn0216332

yui became my fav char when she claims that over leveling and beating the boss with ease is the correct approach >:D

• July 19, 2011 at 11:18 amx

Cute episode

• July 19, 2011 at 1:18 pmBass.EXE

I still can’t get over the ED. The song is just too perfect for this series and quite catchy too

• July 19, 2011 at 4:14 pmThe White Devil

Divine thanks for your hard work.The new banner looks good.
    Can you tell me from which series or manga that picture is??

Thanks and greetings from Germany

• July 20, 2011 at 11:46 amBenigmatica

Aww… Nobody wants to hug Akari!

Oh, well… Tentacle punish them for demoting you to extra!

• July 20, 2011 at 1:28 pmewok40k

I was left wondering was the childhood bed episode only Kyoko’s fantasy or is Yui trying little too hard to erase it from own memory…

• July 20, 2011 at 6:07 pmimouto

I usually stay far, far away from pointless yuri-ish SoL comedies. Technically, I should like Nichijou far better than this.
    Somehow I find myself chuckling at most of the character interactions. Pointless as they may be, I really like the verisimilitude, especially Akari’s situation. Don’t think I’ll drop it anytime soon.

• July 21, 2011 at 12:33 amNimmy

I must say, this episode is pretty hilarious. I think there was a bit of Azumanga Daioh influenced in this episode.

The part with Akari’s chung-li hair turning into guided missiles or hair tentacles, reminded me of the episode in Azumanga Daioh where everyone wonders how Chiyo-chan’s hair stays on. Some of the students believe that the pigtails are wings or they’re attached on. xD

• July 21, 2011 at 2:14 amhammock

this episode had me literally rofl-ing LOLOLOLOL. the tentacle rape was damn funny as well as the azumanga daioh reference!!! XDDDDDDDD they suddenly became laser beams! XDDD

I seriously can’t wait for chinatsu’s ‘drawing’ to show up. XDDDD funniest thing in the manga. XDDD

YUI x KYOKO FTW!!!! too much HNNNNGGGG-worthy scenes this episode. XDDD

• July 22, 2011 at 2:54 pmJester

I like their running gag of having Akarin becoming more and more blocked out from the circle