Usagi Drop – 04 »« Usagi Drop – 02

Usagi Drop   03   01 Usagi Drop   03   02 Usagi Drop   03   03
Usagi Drop   03   04 Usagi Drop   03   05 Usagi Drop   03   06
Usagi Drop   03   07 Usagi Drop   03   08 Usagi Drop   03   09
Usagi Drop   03   10 Usagi Drop   03   11 Usagi Drop   03   12
Usagi Drop   03   13 Usagi Drop   03   14 Usagi Drop   03   15
Usagi Drop   03   16 Usagi Drop   03   17 Usagi Drop   03   18

「ダイキチの決めたこと 」 (Daikichi no Kimetakoto)
“Daikichi’s Decision”

I burst out laughing in the first minute of this episode when Daikichi smashed Rin’s head into the ceiling, probably because it was so unexpected and reminded me of when I was little and my uncle hoisted me up into the air — I almost had my head chopped off by the ceiling fan. The little mishap subtly poked fun at Daikichi’s awkwardness over taking care of a kid, and I found it quite amusing even though it was a very minor scene. I truly found myself grinning ear to ear throughout the episode; Usagi Drop really is a feel-good show. There are very subtle little bits of random humor, for example the pissed woman on the train who seems to be a recurring gag.

As for the plot, this episode focused on exploring Daikichi’s career and workplace life. It looks like he’s the hardworking workaholic type, and is respected by his peers. Daikichi continues to ask around for advice, and talks with Gotou, who is also balancing work and child. Daikichi really is a cool guy, and he feels like a very realistic character too. He tries his best to make the best decisions for Rin and in the end also decides to make sacrifices in his career to take care of her. It must have been quite a significant decision for a person like him, and shows that Daikichi has a strong sense of responsibility towards family, even if Rin isn’t his own kid.

It’s a story of personal development for the both of them and stresses a lot of family values that I don’t see in anime very often. Daikichi continues to deal with other family issues, but their relatives seem to be warming up to Rin too as they begin to see her in a different light, especially his mom who has grown quite fond of Rin. Even though Daikichi is inexperienced as a father, he also seems to have an unexpected level of understanding of kids. Coupled with Rin’s innocence, I’m highly enjoying watching them develop their relationship into a heartwarming family. Daikichi doesn’t avoid Rin’s questions about whether she’s going to die and whether Daikichi will die before she does, and he is aware that Rin is still saddened by her father’s death. There’s also the matter of trying to find Rin’s mother, Masako, who turns out to be Daikichi’s grandfather’s maid. It looks like Rin didn’t know Masako was her mom (or refuses to admit it), and she treated Rin poorly, but there could be more to this issue than can be seen on the surface.

There will be a live action film adaptation coming out in August starring Matsuyama Kenichi as Daikichi and Mana Ashida as Rin.

July 22, 2011 at 6:24 am
  • July 22, 2011 at 6:32 amHαru

I hope the ending of the manga doesn’t affect you in blogging this.

• July 22, 2011 at 7:05 amProoof

I’ve heard a lot about that, but will see for myself when it comes around.

• July 23, 2011 at 6:19 amBenigmatica

Still, I hope that this anime will squeeze all the manga chapters and spread it to 11 episodes in order to get the ending… which I’m worried that it’s gonna cut short by Production IG.

Besides, I’m waiting for that golden ending in Usagi Drop!

• July 22, 2011 at 12:18 pmMrRei

I’ve seen the ending.. and it’s not as controversial as people says it is. Maybe it’s just me or culture stuff or whatever, but after the revelation in chapter 54, Show Spoiler ▼

it didn’t seem too bad for me. I’ve seen far more in real life that can be considered more controversial. ~_~

• July 22, 2011 at 2:32 pmBakazuki

That revelation certainly made things less controversial (probably would have spared a lot of people grief if they were told that earlier), but it can be argued that it remains so for entirely different reasons.

That said, all the talk about the ending of the manga is moot when this anime is likely not going to reach the story’s second half. Prooof, you need not really worry unless you decide to read the manga as well. =P

• July 22, 2011 at 8:19 pmEliteF22

• July 22, 2011 at 9:15 pmkami

There’s too much discussion about the manga ending… I feel like I’m close to getting something spoiled by some thoughtless person. Just even hinting a controversial/bad ending ruins some part of this show (or feel like i may be disappointed from the tone of your voice).

This is why i like original adaptations sometimes. none of this spoiler talk…

• July 22, 2011 at 11:36 pmbabawaba

Dont mind em, I dont get why people are still talking about that… as if it wasnt enough doing it for 2 weeks already, but most is ppl overracting or not really understanding what they read to begin with.

• July 22, 2011 at 6:33 amcybersteel

Rin kinda reminds me of Erio.

• July 22, 2011 at 6:40 amKnowngni

It’s his mom as the brunette drill-ends (Kasumi) is his sister and Haruko (the mom of Rin’s friend/grand-niece) is Daikichi’s cousin

• July 22, 2011 at 6:42 amClick

This is just great stuff. I loved the part where Daikichi brought Rin to meet his family.

• July 22, 2011 at 6:59 amKushieda

especially his aunt (?) who has grown quite fond of Rin

That’s his mom…

Rin calls her Aunt since she’s older and Daikichi jokes that she should be called grandma since she’s so much older then Rin.

• July 22, 2011 at 7:04 amProoof

fixed that

• July 22, 2011 at 9:26 amznail

She would also be Rin’s older half-sister, so Rin could call her nee-san :P

• July 22, 2011 at 7:16 amUsa

Should probably stop mentioning the ending since its probably only going to end up making people more curious and eager to spoil themselves. Even though they weren’t intended to be spoilers, I could pretty much guess what would happen from some of last weeks comments. I’m doubting they’ll animate it all since the manga is too long to fit in an 11 ep. adaption. Also considering the pacing of the show so far…

• July 30, 2011 at 1:16 pmznail

They might be able to squeeze in the first half of the manga in this season as that would make a great way to split the seasons. Noway they will fit the entire manga in anyway.

• July 22, 2011 at 7:20 amHrmmm

I laughed whole-heartedly at the opening minutes as well.

Though I noticed some differences in the animation, I’m still loving this series.

• July 22, 2011 at 7:26 amKarmafan

I would not be at all surprised if this 1st season takes place before the big change. No use talking about it any more for fear of spoiling it for non manga readers.

Isn’t Rin Daikichi’s mother’s sister? Would’t Rin call her Nee-san (sp)?

I like the fact that Daikichi asks other parents for advice. All too often people are afraid or too arrogant to ask others for advice even when they don’t have knowledge or experience to fall back on.

• July 22, 2011 at 10:16 pminfo600

status-quo, i think…and then Daikichi’s mom’s too old to BE Rin’s sister, even Daikichi’s thinking she should be her grandmother…o man, I’m still laughing over that…

future episode spoiler:Show Spoiler ▼

story wise, I think they’re finished introducing people and started to compress the events in the manga together…

• July 22, 2011 at 7:34 amtjsama

Wow the loli in the live action is cute. Too bad Daikichi in there doesn’t look as cool =/

• July 23, 2011 at 4:56 pmSeishun Otoko

I find Matsuyama Kenichi too pretty-boy to be a convincing Daikichi. He’s a 25 year old playing a 30 year old after all. In that movie poster, they look like siblings and that’s not a good sign

• July 22, 2011 at 8:17 amlkaze

I really like how heart-warming this show is. After this episode, I was dying to know what happen next. What I pondering about is:

Is Masako her mother?(grandfather and maid, hot)
    What happen next?(Rin’s problem in nursery)
    What happen after the time-skip?(screw the person that spo.. oh wait nwm)
    Will there be romance?(this will be the first loli show I rather Main never go with loli. Hopefully Daikichi meet some other girl )
    Should I read the manga for fast story? (Convinced by Enzo not to)

• July 22, 2011 at 8:42 amPanino Manino

“What happen after the time-skip?(screw the person that spo.. oh wait nwm)”

Anime will and before this. Maybe.

• July 22, 2011 at 8:42 amKTNO

30 secondes of this show and I’m already full of joy.

• July 22, 2011 at 8:54 amPotNoodle123

I laughed so hard at that first minute that I missed the next ten. I had to start it again once I’d finally settled down and I even then I still found myself giggling like an idiot every time I thought of it. Just reading that first opening comment by Proof and I promptly choked on the tea I was drinking at the time. Now my mouse needs a good clean over and I need to sort myself out a fresh change of clothes. Cheers mate!

• July 22, 2011 at 9:16 amtomphile

I still think that Daikichi’s transition into some sort of uber-dad is kind of surprising and unrealistic. In the world of anime, people usually have difficulties and conflicts before any sort of harmony arises. Everything in Usagi Drop though has just sailed on smoothly. I love the show, don’t get me wrong, it’s just a little tidbit that’s been bugging me in the back of my mind for quite some time…there’s essentially zero conflict.

• July 22, 2011 at 9:35 amStranger

An easygoing guy and a very sensible child. There wouldn’t be very much conflict in there.

If there’s any, I’d expect it from outside sources/circumstances.

In any case, not every show needs to have end-of-the-world drama.

• July 22, 2011 at 1:00 pmbabawaba

There was nothing smooth about his situation. Him picking up Rin late wasnt just once, it happened almost every day until he gets the demotion, they just didnt animate all the days for obvious reasons. Same goes for the wetting the bed problem and pretty much everything.

• July 22, 2011 at 12:23 pmQB

This anime would turn into Koi-Kaze in the later future.

• July 22, 2011 at 2:47 pmAndré

The guy from the live action looks too young, too handomse and too cool. They should hire that guy from Densha Otoko/Team Batista. He’s one of the few TV/cinema actors that looks “normal”…

• July 22, 2011 at 4:40 pmShinjiro

I agree. Tbh I’ve never really enjoyed any LIVE renditions of anime series up to now. I could also argue the girl playing Rin looks cute but nothing like Rin in the anime/manga.

• July 22, 2011 at 5:17 pmbabawaba

Try Yankee-kun to Megane-chan. The live action is extremely hilarious

• July 22, 2011 at 3:50 pmMiriam

I hope they only animate the first half of the manga, before the time skip. I really loved the first half, but after the time skip it just got weird. Show Spoiler ▼

But the first half is adorable and heart-warming.

• July 22, 2011 at 4:00 pmargus88

I had high expectations when I heard this was getting animated, and each episode keeps breaking them and raising the bar. This was quite a heartwarming episode and it has been a while since I truly enjoyed every moment of a show.

Also, why does at least one person always have to mention the latter half of the manga in seemingly EVERY blog post regarding Usagi Drop? Give it a break…

• July 22, 2011 at 5:16 pmbabawaba

Was about to post the same thing, srsly… its chapter 3 already, I think we pretty much talked enough about it already.

• July 22, 2011 at 5:45 pmdxb_blackwolf

For some reason, the opening song keeps on reminding me about School Rumble’s first ending.

• July 22, 2011 at 9:51 pmGambler

Only thing that bothered me was how upset Daikichi’s junior was. He wants a boss who puts in OT and hangs out at the bar. My response would be, “Know your place, kid.”

• July 23, 2011 at 12:24 amKumaKaori

*dies* o.m.g TOO MUCH CUTE. too many adorably little outfits… anyone have flashbacks to Denpa Onna when the Ep Ended with Daikichi’s “Ah so.” ^^;.? hehehe.

Wow, so much manga talk here :/. Not enough “THIS SHOW IS ADORABLE” gushing <_<.
    Time-skip time-shmip. I inadvertently spoiled a certain other very popular series's timeskip to some poor schmuck and had to wonder what rock he'd been hiding under :/. So I don't mind that blip as much, but I'd love it if there was more talk about the ANIME here than the manga D:.

Do we really have to predict and match every little thing back to the source? :/… [/endrant] fck it, I'm watching this ep over again, so much innocent joy. Posting here has stolen my joy -3-.

• July 23, 2011 at 12:26 amKumaKaori

In particular image 11 and 17. CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE (Intensity Meter: 9999) *dies* (*from somewhere* he really is an idiot…[/AngelBeats])

• July 23, 2011 at 12:50 amkgfj

Finally a show where a loli is not an annoying spoiled brat! Gosh I dislike kids but I would definitely take care a kid like Rin if I had a chance.
    And yes, this show is very really heart warming. I especially like how understanding and comforting daikichi iis, even though he is completely unprepared as a father. How I wish to be as open minded as him :D
    Although actually I’m on the edge of not spoiling myself *grabs hair hysterically*. Seriously, it’s hard when people keep talking about it! I could guess what happens in the last half of the story and it even makes me more eager to jump into chapter 50 something of the manga ><

• July 23, 2011 at 3:48 amKinny Riddle

I almost had my head chopped off by the ceiling fan. – Thank goodness for that indeed, and thank goodness Daikichi doesn’t have any ceiling fans, for I hear something that tragic actually happened somewhere in Southeast Asia.

Anyway, I’ve heard some chat about the ending being controversial, and while avoiding the plot discussion like the plague, I can more or less guess how controversial it might become with such a relationship, which can probably be summed up in two words: Hikari Genji. (Please don’t spoil me even if I’m wrong)

Even then, I’m committed to watching till the end and not judge Daikichi too much, seeing how much sacrifice and commitment he’s decided to give for Rin.

• July 23, 2011 at 9:28 pmU Doh

Hikaru Genji, actually.

• July 26, 2011 at 3:59 pmstephsageek

This show really is such a great change of pace for an anime, even a slice-of-life one. It’s very done to earth and I completely agree with Prooof that it does stress family values that aren’t showcased enough nowadays in general. As to all the talk of the Manga’s ending, it is really bringing the wrong kind of attention to a wonderful series. Show Spoiler ▼

I’m really curious about where this adaption takes this series.

• July 30, 2011 at 12:46 ambottle

waiting for the write up on UD 04 !