THE IDOLM@STER – 18 »« THE IDOLM@STER – 16

THE IDOLM@STER   17   19 THE IDOLM@STER   17   20 THE IDOLM@STER   17   21
THE IDOLM@STER   17   22 THE IDOLM@STER   17   23 THE IDOLM@STER   17   24
THE IDOLM@STER   17   25 THE IDOLM@STER   17   26 THE IDOLM@STER   17   27
THE IDOLM@STER   17   28 THE IDOLM@STER   17   29 THE IDOLM@STER   17   30
THE IDOLM@STER   17   31 THE IDOLM@STER   17   32 THE IDOLM@STER   17   33
THE IDOLM@STER   17   34 THE IDOLM@STER   17   35 THE IDOLM@STER   17   36

「真、まことの王子様」 (Makoto, Makoto no Ouji-sama)
“Makoto, A True Prince”

You know, I tried to go with the flow of this episode and see Makoto as a girl — I really did — but it’s so damn hard to. It’s like they designed her character so well that it’s practically impossible to her any other way. Sorry Makoto, you’ll forever be the idol prince who dreams of being a princess. I don’t think most Makoto fans will mind since that is her main appeal — even in the eyes of Miki — but I’m sure there are some who really like what lies on the other side of the mirror.

It’s really cute to see a bit of Makoto’s feminine side; however, her deeper voice and infallible tomboy demeanor are really hard to overcome. It would probably help her girlish image if she were to show some more signs of weakness and/or dependency on others. It wouldn’t hurt if she grew out her hair a bit longer either, especially after seeing her in that white one-piece in the ending sequence. Quite honestly, I’m torn over which Makoto I prefer, as one of the appeals of the reluctant prince is that no one will see her as the princess she wants to be. It’s very different from a very feminine girl with tomboyish ways who can come off as a guy if the need arises. I find the latter a lot more attractive from a personal standpoint, which is why I kind of want to see Makoto’s character shift in that direction, but it’s also a lot more common in anime, so it would mean she’d lose her unique charm in the process. I guess I should just be grateful that it’s not up to me to decide, as I really wouldn’t know which side to edge Makoto toward.

As for some plot-related developments (yes, they do exist in IM@S), the problems with 961 Pro continue to pin all the blame on Kuroi. Touma still believes that 765 Pro started it, while Hokuto and Shouta are completely indifferent to all the petty squabble. I’m glad that they didn’t get any more attention than that, as it doesn’t look like it’s going to be resolved any time soon anyway. The other bit of course is Chihaya’s problems with her parents, which continue to be built up for what I imagine will be a pretty deep episode centered around her. It doesn’t look like the next one will be about it though, as things shift back to Ryuuguu Komachi.

* I got a good laugh out of how Makoto was impressed by the Producer’s gaming skills. The cynic in me thought it just meant he’s a bigger geek than her. He does deserve praise for understanding Makoto’s feelings and treating her like a princess though.
* Full-length images: 15, 23, 27, ED17 02, ED17 03.

INS17: 「自転車」 (Jitensha) by 菊地真 (平田宏美) (Kikuchi Makoto (Hirata Hiromi))
Watch the 17th INS!: Streaming ▼

ED17 Sequence

THE IDOLM@STER   ED17   01 THE IDOLM@STER   ED17   02 THE IDOLM@STER   ED17   03

ED17: 「チアリングレター」 (Cheering Letter) by 菊地真 (平田宏美) (Kikuchi Makoto (Hirata Hiromi))
Watch the 17th ED!: Streaming ▼

THE IDOLM@STER   17   Preview 01 THE IDOLM@STER   17   Preview 02 THE IDOLM@STER   17   Preview 03
October 29, 2011 at 3:17 pm
  • October 29, 2011 at 3:21 pmKyral

Not intended by the show’s creators, but I had to laugh pretty hard when I realized that they were riding on a German merry-go-round. xD

• October 29, 2011 at 5:43 pmLuxorcist

I did a quick search, got this:

That’s so stupid… *facepalm*

• October 29, 2011 at 7:04 pmStranger

Mein gott.

Heh. That was pretty funny actually. He could have easily broken his neck or something.

• October 30, 2011 at 9:08 amKyral

Löl, that hurts just watching. xD

Anyway… I meant the german text on the thing, like:
        Jede weitere Fahrt
        Erwachsene ?
        Kinder 3

Showes the background artist used a German merry-go-round for reference.

• October 29, 2011 at 3:51 pmSeishun Otoko

First Miki, now Makoto. Producer-san, I want your job!
    Has producer-san seen Makoto in that gorgeous white dress? He would probably be more open minded about her desire to record the show in a dress/skirt if he has.
    Less Kuroi is always good. More Ryuuguu Komachi and that means more screen time for Azusa next week ;D

• October 29, 2011 at 3:55 pmsylv3rblade

Moar Ritsuko (*≧▽≦)

• October 29, 2011 at 3:52 pmsylv3rblade

It’s really hard to imagine Makoto’s girly side with such a deep voice (still having trouble finishing my review for this ep…. jelly Miki is kawaii). Still, I think her inner conflict (going as a prince vs wanting to go as a princess) makes her one of the more interesting idols in 765.

• October 29, 2011 at 3:53 pmLectro Volpi

Kamina!!! He died for your sins again!

Did Touma wanted to ask something politely or just another: “Oi, Namuco puro… you suck”

Park Ogre´s Seiyuu spotted! Surprised eh?

• October 30, 2011 at 2:47 amLectro Volpi

By the way:

According to the English sub Miki says “Honey, don´t take away Makoto-kun”
      According to the Spanish sub Miki says “Honey, don´t exchange me for Makoto-kun”

And the correct one is?

• October 30, 2011 at 3:50 amMoka

The first one is the correct.

• October 30, 2011 at 4:02 amLectro Volpi

Speak Japanese?

• October 29, 2011 at 3:53 pmFencedude

Makoto’s just gonna have to deal with the fact that she can cause girls to soak their panties just by looking at them.

• October 29, 2011 at 4:57 pmDivine

If you ask me, that’s an innate ability to be jealous of.

• October 31, 2011 at 2:20 pmPride

Rofl

• October 29, 2011 at 7:09 pmfragb85

She just doesn’t understand how rare that ability is. Most guys can only wish to have that innate talent of hers.

• October 30, 2011 at 3:16 pmsynkronized

Question – Would Makoto make for an awesome wing man or a terrible one? She could really fire up the ladies when moving in on them, but then again she’d draw all of the attention.

• October 29, 2011 at 3:59 pmSyaoran

Don’t blame you for being indecisive over Makoto. I can’t decide either if I like the amazing Makoto that kicks ass or the girlier side of Makoto.

• October 29, 2011 at 4:04 pmFFF

I wonder why he run in that punch. He should use his arms or legs and have some combat to help the harem ending. ^^

• October 29, 2011 at 5:31 pmClick

Pretty decent episode, but I’ve got to admit that I’m starting to get tired of Kuroi and Touma always bitching. Maybe the charm is slowly wearing off of me.

• October 29, 2011 at 6:09 pmsomeone

This episode was funny, until the 961 losers ruined the moment for Makoto. Afterwards, it was fun to see a tomboy acting like a girl. I’ll admit she’s got nice legs.

• October 29, 2011 at 6:26 pmchakane07

Another way for Makoto to be more girly is to be a member of Ryuuguu Komachi. Check and see for yourself in Ryuuguu Komachi’s new song Nanairo Botan and you’ll understand why.

• October 29, 2011 at 7:20 pmfragb85

Psssh. She doesn’t need Ryuguu Komachi. She is girly and sexy enough with her own image song. Or with some other songs. The great part about her is her versatility. She can do both sexy songs and awesome rock songs.

Yes I keep tabs on Makoto solos. Don’t judge me.

• October 29, 2011 at 7:08 pmfragb85

So I finally got a Makoto episode I’m quite pleased with it. Basically hit up all the charm points I like about her. This episode pretty much made her both awesome and cute at the same time.

Hot damn was Producer smooth here. He basically triggered a huge Makoto flag then made Miki jealous all within a day. We can also establish that he can handle himself fine in a zombie apocalypse. And yes, Producer that was a date, no matter what you say.

• October 29, 2011 at 8:46 pmsatkaz

Oh, Makoto, no matter how hard you wish to be a princess, you still act like a prince.

I loved this episode, especially with Producer being all awesome. I especially loved the part when Makoto called their day a date back at the office, looking really confident and twirling that hat around.

As for the Producer running into the punch, being in the heat of the moment, I bet going into the punch was the only thing he could do. If the Producer did take down the punk, it wouldn’t look good to others. 961 Pro and Kuroi could also use the Producer punching a punk as proof that 765 Pro isn’t what they are.

• October 29, 2011 at 9:41 pmpaulrenzo

Producer is now my (overall) favourite character.

• October 29, 2011 at 10:19 pmKinny Riddle

Perhaps Makoto ought to audition as both the male and female lead seiyuus for the comic she was reading in the beginning of this episode, much like one of the scenarios in the game.

Was a bit disappointed Hokuto (the spiky haired Jupiter guy) didn’t do any flirting with Makoto as happened in her game route, no matter, as it means Producer gets to spend more time with our favourite tomboy.

Yuri goggles: Would have been even more perfect had the episode involved Yukiho and Miki – Makoto’s popular fanon yuri harem.

Next episode, it seems even Ritsuko gets her own episode, by virtue of her being an ex-idol.

• October 29, 2011 at 10:30 pmKaris

I wanna see Makoto’s pouty face…
    _ _
    )-(

• October 30, 2011 at 1:24 amx

Fun episode. Much better than the last one.

• October 30, 2011 at 3:30 amMartianMage

Yeah definitely a lot better than Hibiki’s episode…

but anyway… very little Miki airtime… orz

• October 30, 2011 at 3:43 amMoka

Uhmm was expecting more manly Makoto, but this will do too I guess. Lots of adorable expressions this episode and I loved the carousel scene at the end even though it was a bit cliché. I was actually hoping to see the scene with Hokuto and Makoto from the game too. Anyways loved this episode and I liked the little scene with MakotoxProducerxMiki at the end.

• October 30, 2011 at 4:21 amsaka

looks like it’ll be ritsuko’s story next week, will she go back to being an idol ?

• October 30, 2011 at 5:08 amSomeone

Perfect Communication!

• October 30, 2011 at 7:15 amhaitechan

I was expecting “Prince” Makoto but this was pretty nice. Between her and Miki, I really envy Producer-san (and I’m a girl xD). The Jupiter part was not as bad, seems that the guys really think 765 Pro started the conflict (but Touma is still a jerk). Seems that next is a Ryuugu Komachi episode and I hope it’s focused on Ritsuko, we already had Azusa episode and I really don’t like her >_>.

• October 30, 2011 at 9:48 amnagi

I prefer princess Makoto in her white one-piece and long hair!

Anyway, no love for Chihaya? I hope she gets a good character-centric episode given the build-ups they made.

• October 30, 2011 at 11:07 amstarss

Makoto is …… MMMMMMMMMMMMFFFFFFFFFFFFF–AMAZING!!!

• October 30, 2011 at 12:14 pmdopenhagen

I would gladly take Makoto as my husband…and wife.

• October 31, 2011 at 11:48 amHalfDemonInuyasha

Oh Makoto, don’t worry, you’ll always be a princess in my eyes. *_*

• November 1, 2011 at 5:08 pmThe Moondoggie

Makoto will forever be a part of Mai Waifu harem list.