Ben-To – 06 »« Ben-To – 04

Ben-To – 05

Ben To   05   Banner 01
「北海道の鮭を使ったあら汁 326kcal」 (Hokkaidō no Shake o Tsukatta Arajiru 326kcal)
“Fish Soup with Hokkaido Salmon 326kcal”
♦ ♦ ♦

Ben To   05   Post 01
“I’m so misunderstood.”

All right, so, relatively plot-heavy episode this week. As one would first guess, the big baddie Monarch wants to take over all the supermarkets, even if it means he’s destroying his own “clan.” Shaga, being an Eastern wolf, finds herself tangled between the mess, but she’s not exactly torn between sides. The clue of the computer room being the Civilian Economics Research Club suggests the enemy is also in high school, most likely Shaga’s. The foxy dude from last week apparently did lose to Satou, accepting him as a rival (then losing it promptly), and I’m going to assume he’s the “moral underling that will rebel when the opponent’s chips are down.” All this conflict is reasoned to a grudge from an older generation, a la Naruto’s plot. Presumably the half-price god from Ralph’s is from that generation, and will explain everything next week. There’s nothing much to marvel at here, since it’s all pretty standard fare to anyone that’s experienced these types of plots before.

Ben To   05   Post 02
Baby, you look like a baby.

The last new main character (according to the opening anyway) is Inoue Asebi (Taketatsu Ayana), a semi-retarded girl with an extreme case of bad luck. Unless she’s just some random young girl that happens to be hanging out with high-schoolers, the slowness in her speech and babyish reactions suggest mild retardation. But she’s cute, right? You know how babyish features in the female face is also an attraction? Big eyes, smooth face, small mouth and nose? Explains anime faces quite well. Not surprisingly, that same attraction translates over to mentalities of babies too. Girl explodes coke in her face and then giggles about it = cute. So it’s moe. Throw in that some find moe sexually attractive, and you’re all subconsciously babyphiles. Now, what does make Asebi stand out from the crowd is the seemingly random attribution of bad luck. She’s also portrayed as a catgirl-lite, so maybe she’s a black cat? Whatever the case, it certainly makes her pitiful, and along with the naivete, she’s another character that’s easy to like. She continues the trend. There’s no question this trait of hers will serve a role, and be the brunt of a thousand jokes, but I like it. It’s new. Sort of. Maybe Satou will use her in battle.

Ben To   05   Post 03
“Apparently I look fatter in closeups.”

♦ ♦ ♦

The plot keeps things chugging along, but I’m starting to find the comedic skits to be far more entertaining. The reactions to Satou walking into the supermarket with a sailor uniform, and him stoking himself up to reimburse a “weak” night with “Macchan” were definite highlights. The lack of typical joke patterns really helps, and somehow Oshiroi’s fujoshi observations never fail to get a laugh out of me. Oshiroi doesn’t even sound like Yuuki Aoi either; that girl’s got some serious range. To close, I am a bit puzzled as to why specifically that guy wanted to shove a D battery up Satou’s ass… Torture weapon of choice? Secret fetish?

Ben To   05   01 Ben To   05   02 Ben To   05   03 Ben To   05   04
Ben To   05   05 Ben To   05   06 Ben To   05   07 Ben To   05   08
Ben To   05   09 Ben To   05   10 Ben To   05   11 Ben To   05   12
Ben To   05   13 Ben To   05   14 Ben To   05   15 Ben To   05   16

Ben To   05   Preview 01

November 7, 2011 at 1:43 am
  • November 7, 2011 at 1:49 amFencedude

Bah. Monarch isn’t an actual problem. Just tell Ume he was mean to Hana, and she’ll march right over to whereverthefuckheis and set him straight. Problem solved. She’s the Ben-To Seijuro Hiko.

I loled at Macchan being Ohara Sayaka, though I’d personally guessed Inoue Kikuko before she started talking. Ah well.

• November 7, 2011 at 1:50 amtoothache

Looks more like a D cell battery.

• November 7, 2011 at 1:56 amKiiragi

That is actually what I was thinking. Had the name wrong, lol.

• November 7, 2011 at 6:04 amBass.EXE

Oh, just a D-cell? That’s no biggie. At least it’s not a lantern battery.

• November 7, 2011 at 3:38 pmPride

You make it sound like you get D-batts shoved up daily or something.

• November 7, 2011 at 7:15 pmThe Moondoggie

Oh… Bass you like batteries too?

No, joke…

• November 7, 2011 at 2:09 amRakkyo

Inoue Asebi, the new Kamijou Touma. Now with more moe and less intelligence.

• November 7, 2011 at 2:10 amFencedude

Thats not a very high bar to clear, which really is saying something.

• November 7, 2011 at 3:12 amThe17thNoah

Touma’s bad luck is because he removes God’s good luck on him, while Asebi’s is generated from her own curse. so Asebi is more unfortunate right?:D

• November 7, 2011 at 8:44 amKinny Riddle

At least Asebi is blissfully ignorant about her own misfortune, whereas Touma occasionally moans about it, though not too much since he knows his Imagine Breaker more or less compensates for it.

• November 7, 2011 at 2:10 amBotagar

I loved it when Satou walked into the supermarket dressed like he was, and the reactions he got were hilarious!
    I would call this best anime this season but Fate/Zero has me hesitating.

• November 7, 2011 at 5:46 amSr. Kong

To be frank about it, I’m not overly impressed with any of the shows this season.

• November 7, 2011 at 2:43 amSmudge

BRB, putting a drill through Fencedude’s harddrive.

• November 7, 2011 at 3:05 amThe17thNoah

“Here’s something else that’s new: I got angry at the show today. Our resident ragdoll may get beat to a pulp every week by miscellaneous people and things, but everyone standing aside so he could get his ass whupped by Monarch rubbed me the wrong way. Considering how close his relationship is with the other characters by now, none of them really went out of their way to protect him. Shaga might have an excuse from initiating a betrayal, but Yarizui? He’s your club member! Where’s the camaraderie? That wouldn’t fly in One Piece, I’ll tell you that.”
    That irked me too:\ They were going to war anyway right? Why hold back?! Well…at least he got into a nice position in the end:P

• November 7, 2011 at 3:37 amRichfeet

They weren’t standing aside, the were each analyzing the Monarch fighting ability. Now they have an idea of his fighting style. Silly Monarch. Now victory is within their reach now!!!! Mwa ha ha ha!!!

• November 7, 2011 at 3:48 amimerik

I figured it was because they had all each claimed a bento. Aren’t they basically off limits/out of the fight once they’ve touched food?

I’m guessing it’s against the rules for them all to hop in to a fight between two wolves when they’ve already got a bento in hand.

• November 7, 2011 at 5:53 amhurin

Correct, the rules states that those who have claimed a bento may not continue fighting, so consequently they could not come to Sato’s aid.

• November 7, 2011 at 7:58 amRichfeet

But they were analyzing Monarch’s technique right? RIGHT? If they learned nothing from Monarch and Satou’s battle then what’s the point? He obviously a great fighter. Study his moves like real fighters!!!! Strategize people!!!!

• November 7, 2011 at 4:14 amfragb85

Imrik’s got it right. Once a Wolf has the Bento, they are out of the fight. Satou’s friends pretty much had their hands tied. Code of honor and all that silly crap.

I think its pretty clear that Monarch waited till Sen was out of the fight just to target Sato. He was probably trying to spite Sen by beating on her protege.

• November 7, 2011 at 3:55 amricz

Oshiroi: Good Job

That;s the best scene for me on this episode :p

• November 7, 2011 at 2:14 pm0927123

I liked it too! lol

• November 7, 2011 at 4:07 amx

The abuse is getting annoying. Other than that, the episode was okay. Hope the next episode will get better.

• November 7, 2011 at 4:10 amfragb85

How disappointing. They had a chance to show Sato as badass enough to fight in a dress, sadly he had to job to Monarch. What a wasted opportunity for something awesome.

Oshiroi was hilarious though, I love how she decided to write BL after witnessing a near-threesome with Satou and the girls. That’s devotion to your craft.

• November 7, 2011 at 6:40 amewok40k

well… male fan(dis)service aside, the Ice Witch grows on me with her unintentionally hilarious comments, even as Shaga is still her playful self
    oh, and will the walking disaster aka the girl in scarf get into the fights too?

• November 7, 2011 at 7:09 amNamzor

Asebi would be the penultimate combo breaker in these fights. Noone would want to touch her in fear of getting her bad luck.

• November 7, 2011 at 7:42 amShin

I wonder how many bentos their huge widescreen TV can buy XD

• November 7, 2011 at 8:49 amKinny Riddle

Standard shounen manga plot developing, I see. Not that I’m complaining as the premise is way too silly even for a shounen manga, OTOH, it is because of its silly premise that actually makes it more enjoyable to watch than your typical shounen series like “N” or “B” or “OP”.

Besides the usual shounen plot, we have more of the messed-up characters and their respective innuendo charged laughter, from the security guard of Shaga’s school and his anal-battery fetish to Satou going all dreamy about trying to get things “straight” with Macchan. lol

• November 7, 2011 at 8:54 amKinny Riddle

One thing that amazes me in this series is how the supermarket staff (who are on to the “rules of the game” to begin with) and normal customers go about their daily lives while anarchy ensues in the bento section. It’s as though law enforcement doesn’t exist in this series. lol

• November 7, 2011 at 8:56 amgrant

I still can’t stop laughing every time I see Monarch and picture Fei Fong Wong. It just cracks me up!

• November 7, 2011 at 9:07 ampuppygod

“Unless she’s just some random young girl that happens to be hanging out with high-schoolers, the slowness in her speech and babyish reactions suggest mild retardation.”

C’mon. What retardation? She’s obviously stoned out of her mind :D

• November 7, 2011 at 11:16 amXin

Exactly what I concluded from her screentime this ep. :p

When Shaga said she wouldn’t be coming back after giving her money, I was totally thinking yea, she’s gonna go load up on munchies…so the cola scene cracked me up just supporting that train of thought.

• November 7, 2011 at 6:20 pmmomogoldfish

Could just be the brand of flu meds she’s using, since some have chemicals that can be distilled into drugs.

The brilliant part of Satou’s cross-dressing were the trunks poking out under the dress. Also the dog’s guy half monologue commentary. Poor Shimono is getting pigeon-holed into the buttmonkey role as much as Kugimiya is ‘Queen of Tsundere’. He’s even like this in live events, even Kaji Yuki bullies him lol.

Loved his misunderstanding with Macchan as well.

• November 7, 2011 at 9:53 amKou

It seems Satou, Shaga and me all share a birthday, 27 April. Nice. You see that information about 59 seconds in and before the op starts.

• November 7, 2011 at 12:43 pmStöt

So… Why does all your reviews stink. I mean really, I had to read through 2 paragraphs of random boring shit to reach a third really stinking piece of shit. And references to Naruto and One Piece is all you could come up with? Way to go. The image captions are horrendous to. Really. Just give up on reviewing this show, you’re clearly not interested, nor interesting.

if you want specifics, the random shit you spout is not interesting. The pedophile sidetrack wow, and especially review nr 3 was boring as hell… and the second…and the first.

• November 7, 2011 at 1:27 pmKiiragi

And you’re still reading them… why?

• November 9, 2011 at 1:47 pmStöt

I gave you a review of reviews, inside of a review. In case you havent realized, you’re on randomC and spouting shit like

Maybe this was just an underlying public announcement that White supremacists are boring and not the way to go to get what you want. The Japanese do love their Black people, though their obsession with blonde hair blue eyes is more prevalent. Germans?! That could explain everything.
        But wait, that sounded pretty interesting. Yeah, since I made up everything (so it might also be incoherent).

Which is as rewarding as eating a bunch of words and putting your ear to your ass and waiting for something literary interesting to pop out.

Don’t worry though, I won’t read you any more. This was just the review to explain my views, and why I won’t be following your reviews any more. I might answer to your replies though. Just for good measure.

• November 7, 2011 at 4:28 pmThe Moondoggie

HUH? BORING? *TROLLFACE* U MAD SNOT?
      TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• November 7, 2011 at 4:46 pmDivine

I don’t think anyone’s truly mad unless they’re “Yuno mad”.

• November 7, 2011 at 7:04 pmThe Moondoggie

Ohhhh… Good one! But the chances of someone with Yuno’s mad skills appearing in this show is somewhat slim.

So go away Stot.

Gosh! I still remember that hate from Shinobu_Lover years ago when RC is still in animebloggers…. Nostalgia!

• November 7, 2011 at 2:01 pmSeishun Otoko

LOL at “Baby, you look like a baby”

• November 7, 2011 at 3:03 pmjuanito205

“a la trama de naruto”… jajaja

• November 7, 2011 at 4:25 pmThe Moondoggie

Cool! Now we have a half-price bento war? Ridiculousness has limits.

• November 7, 2011 at 9:49 pmYanDaMan263

I WTF’d too when Sen just watched as our protagonist gets pummeled to a pulp. I mean yeah maybe she wanted him to gain experience, or theres some unwritten Wolf code of not interfering others fight or something. But if not, thats pretty cruel on her part.

• November 8, 2011 at 1:00 amCarVac

This is starting to remind me of the races (not fights) we have at my college’s dining hall to get in line for the good dishes at opening time: people arrive fifteen minutes before it opens, in order to avoid the 30-minute line that inevitably forms. People try to guess which of the two swipe card lines will start first and mindgame others into going into the other line.

Then I think about what would happen if people actually fought instead of just powerwalking…

• November 8, 2011 at 2:57 amMR.KLAC

BAH GAWD! this far indeed quite the wham to uh-oh really give now we got food wars between west vs east.

yet really monarch’s group trap & having the monarch itself beat-up sato really total no holds barred beatdown to beat him up as a message to start a feud.

very uncalled & really not cool nor not right really that more a total bully to doing that attack.

yet give sato even worse before that crazy guards whole i shove battery up your “behind” & outfit compare that to beatdown where the cops or security or somebody stop that beatdown.

overall look things are heating-up.

• November 9, 2011 at 6:40 pmWaterDragonMan(I think)

Divine, why did you make Kiiragi a “past writer?” His posts were entertaining, and he was one of the few writers who actually managed to make me excited for the next.

• November 10, 2011 at 10:51 amKiiragi

I’m only temporarily here to post about Ben-To, but thanks.