Senki Zesshou Symphogear – 09 »« Senki Zesshou Symphogear – 07

Senki Zesshou Symphogear – 08

Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   01 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   02 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   03
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   04 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   05 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   06
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   07 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   08 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   09
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   10 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   11 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   12
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   13 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   14 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   15
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   16 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   17 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   18
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   19 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   20 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   21
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   22 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   23 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   24
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   25 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   26 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   27
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   28 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   29 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   30
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   31 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   32 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   33
Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   34 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   35 Senki Zesshou Symphogear   08   36

「陽だまりに翳りなく」 (Hidamari ni Kagerinaku)
“There’s No Shadow Beneath the Sun”

Well, it doesn’t look like Kurisu is quite ready to jump ship onto the good guys’ side, but given that Miku didn’t hesitate to help her and Genjuurou even jumped in to lend a hand, it should only be a matter of time before two Symphogear heroines becomes three. This episode took a somewhat typical yet arguably effective approach to get that point across, by having Miku and Kurisu run into one another after the latter somehow managed to get away from Finè in one piece. Both of them were going through an unwanted/unneeded phase and ended up finding an answer to their problems from one another.

In Miku’s case, her inner turmoil stemmed entirely from her inability to be honest with herself and how she truly felt about Hibiki hiding her Symphogear secret from her, which quite honestly, surprised me given that I didn’t pick up on any cues about how that might be the case. At the same time, it didn’t come off as a poorly developed scenario, as the look back on what Miku said to Hibiki with her phone actually improved my opinion of her character as a whole, which is actually saying a lot since I thought it was pretty reckless of her to lure the Noise away when Hibiki was already there and ready to transform. The way I saw it, Miku simply wanted to help support her best friend and putting herself in the same kind of danger as Hibiki was her way of sharing the burden. There’s no arguing that it was a pretty dumb thing to do from an outside perspective, but it’s not all that hard to understand either considering that Miku wants to help Hibiki even though she doesn’t have the necessary ability to do so. The last thing any good friend would want to do is watch from the sidelines after all.

So where does that leave Kurisu? Still torn over whether she’d rather be alone or put some trust in Hibiki, Miku, and the rest of the Mobile Disaster Prevention Unit evidently (save for the fashionably late and evil Ryouko). We did see more of her orphan past and how she was subjected to what I can only imagine to be very terrible things, so it’s definitely nice to see her get some much needed characterization before doing anything just yet. With Tsubasa taking on more of a supportive role since her injury — and getting cheered up by Hibiki instead of the other way around — I can’t imagine Kurisu will hold off for too long.

* Full-length images: 03, 05, 07, 31, 34.

February 26, 2012 at 5:17 pm
  • February 26, 2012 at 5:32 pmc2710

savour the yuri moments while it lasts. i dread the episode where hibiki sings her swan song

• February 26, 2012 at 8:57 pmCarVac

I thought that the reason Hibiki was so strong was that she was singing a swan song the whole time and it wasn’t causing damage to her body for some reason. Maybe I was mistaken?

• February 28, 2012 at 9:26 amiron2000

I thought she is just singing her personal normal “sustaining song” that Tsubasa and Kurisu sing when they fight in Symphogear as well?

I suppose the ‘swan song’ will not be in Japanese from the 2 times it has be used.

• February 26, 2012 at 5:52 pmMatthew

I think this show has gotten a lot better the last couple of weeks.

• February 26, 2012 at 6:04 pmsuff

I wonder what is the true purpose of the Symphogear… it’s not to battle noise, is it? It looks to me that people like Kazanari can beat the shits out of noise anyway.

• February 26, 2012 at 6:20 pmAex

Kurisu is one step closer to the light, Hibiki got her wife back, Tsubasa shed some more angst… Yup, this episode was everything I could’ve hoped for.

Glad to see Kurisu fighting on something that could be seen as “for the good-guys”. She’ll come around, probably with a little more prodding via Hibiki and Miku.

Still no clue if Ryouko is crazy or just has a crazy twin…

• February 26, 2012 at 6:28 pmfragb85

Genjuro is extremely GAR for holding off an entire group of noise with no Symphogear. Hibiki couldn’t have picked a better mentor.

The make-up scene was just diabetes inducing. I almost thought that Hibiki and Miku would start making out on the spot. I’m happy for the quick reconciliation though. Its going to make Hibki’s inevitable death even more tragic.

• February 26, 2012 at 6:29 pmAnonymous

• February 26, 2012 at 6:34 pmTrinity

wow you make such a good point O_o; it certainly looks the same doesnt it? (besides the fact that miku is right next to her in the original photo but she somehow disappears from the photo by the grave…lol)

• February 26, 2012 at 7:03 pmGS

The magic of Photoshop!

• February 26, 2012 at 7:34 pmJay

Oh goodness I was mindf–cked when I read that. I knew there’s something in the picture. That was it.

I bet for a Hibiki VS Kurisu duel for Miku.

• February 27, 2012 at 1:48 pmJiCi

OMG, good eye, buddy !

• February 26, 2012 at 6:39 pmkurochan

Last time we have a lot of loli anime, and now we have a lot of yuri anime, so what next?

• February 26, 2012 at 7:53 pmc2710

yaoi i presume… though i personally wont want that.

• February 26, 2012 at 9:40 pmA

Better if it’s just yaoi instead of bara. >.>

• February 27, 2012 at 4:56 pmRincewind

More yuri?

• February 26, 2012 at 8:05 pmricz

I really like yukine now

So it seems that we’re heading on the final boss now

• February 26, 2012 at 8:25 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

• February 26, 2012 at 8:34 pmPtolemaios00

Kurisu-chan is as tsundere as a certain assistant. =)

Wow! Miku can run pretty far in a space of a few minutes. That or Hibiki has no sense of direction.

• February 26, 2012 at 9:22 pmdeafvader

So all you have to do is join the track team. You can out run super monsters and out run a super hero girl who leaps buildings with boosters and jets.

I see, anime logic.

So children slaves must be fed pretty well if Kurisu can grow to that height, have so much strength, and have such high value assets.

I see, more anime logic.

• February 26, 2012 at 9:45 pmA

I see what you mean by the first point, but I don’t really agree with your second one. Finé could’ve trained Kurisu as far as strength goes.

• February 26, 2012 at 10:21 pmAlec

I know this anime is NOT the best anime this season. But I just can;t help but look forward every episode. Still, this episode really pissed me off.

• February 27, 2012 at 3:53 amCAPTAIN MAR-KLAC-VELOUS

so sums thing up

chris is now going face also seem genjuro might know about chris & yea WOW really pulling the piece of road got wonder is he over 9000?!

yep the hibiki-miku les-yuri sis-mance sis-code is back together now.

ok then we got wonder what next?

• February 27, 2012 at 9:10 amZreon

Miku was really lucky to be up against the slowest Noise ever. The other noise zap around in spear-ike form really quickly, but the Octopus Noise rather walks leisurly.

Also: Wow, she managed to put quite the distance between Hibiki and herself O_o

Those two were the only things that made me raise an eyebrow in an otherwise pretty enjoyable episode. I also think Chris armour is awesome in a Heavy Arms sort of way.

• February 27, 2012 at 4:59 pmRincewind

Miku and Hibiki are daaaw worthy!!! <3

Yeay, Hibiki, no more sleeping in the couch for you!!!

I only ask for two things in the remaining episodes, Miku and Hibiki kissing, and an happy ending. I dont care, they can use a Deus Ex Machine plot device or something, but I want my happy yuri ending!! T_T

• February 27, 2012 at 7:44 pmTikal

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THAT IS HOLY, EXPLAIN WHY THE HELL THE COMMANDER CAN HULK OUT!

I love the show but its really starting to piss me off now with just that one thing. Its seriously breaking my ability to suspend disbelief.

• February 28, 2012 at 9:15 amiron2000

Miku.
    Having interacted with 2 Symphogear users, will she come to approach Tsubasa as well?
    Wonder if she would become a Symphogear user in the end as well somewhat like how Kazuki Kumon became the last Dunamist in Ultraman Nexus.
    Or would she become some kind of emotional support for the Symphogear users?

Ryoko.
    She used some big words last ep, I suppose she wants to perfect the Symphogear tech and be closer to God or surpass God.
    Could she have experimented on herself too? And the Fine appearance a byproduct?
    Like embedding a relic in herself to replicate Hibiki’s case?
    So she absorbed Nehushtan and used it to complete Kadingil?
    Would be nice to hear her whole elaborate plan/origins from the start, hope theres an ep for it.
    Which comes first Fine or Ryoko?

If only the heroes can snatch or destroy the Staff of Solomon then the threat of Noise should be gone as that relic controls them.
    I suppose without it Noise would be just like animals minding their own business unless you disturb it.

Kurisu.
    2 years is all it takes for a little kid to become a big girl.
    Fine should have done something to her beside torturing her.
    Could she have a piece of Nehushtan in her to invoke that armor healing?
    Or could she have another something in her?

Hibiki.
    The human-relic hybrid.
    Could she evolve to get a new form?

13 episodes, 5 more to go.

• March 2, 2012 at 12:03 pmBio D

The only reason I’m still watching this series if because I’m already halfway through. Well, that and the hope of sloppy lesbian makeouts.
    The series has consistently failed to live up to its promise and I have no investment in any of the characters.
    At least the Heavyarms symphogear was neat.