Persona 4 the ANIMATION – 23 »« Persona 4 the ANIMATION – 21

Persona 4 the ANIMATION – 22

Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   01 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   02 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   03
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   04 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   05 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   06
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   07 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   08 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   09
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   10 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   11 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   12
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   13 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   14 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   15
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   16 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   17 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   18
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   19 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   20 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   21
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   22 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   23 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   24
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   25 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   26 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   27
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   28 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   29 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   30
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   31 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   32 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   33
Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   34 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   35 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   36

「It’s just like Heaven 」

“I’ll stay with you forever…” On the surface, this is a simple phrase that we usually take for granted. We generally don’t give it the same reverence as a phrase like “I love you,” but its effects can be just as profound. It is phrase that can bring joy, like it does for Kuma – but it is also one that can bring sadness, as it does for Yuu. And for Doujima, it is a phrase that he did not have the chance to say.

I don’t think I could describe this episode with anything more appropriate than the term emotional rollercoaster. Nearing the end of the twenty-something odd minutes, I was ready to dedicate my post to the Investigation Team’s epic final battle with Kunino-Sagiri, Namatame’s capture, and Naoto’s continued moments of unexpected cuteness, but the events of those last two minutes quickly dashed my hopes at writing something uplifting and fun like I usually do for this series. When something so depressing happens to one of your favorite characters, when said character is so innocent and undeserving of the tragedy that has befallen her, it leaves an indelible mark on your heart.

I think one of the reasons that Nanako’s passing had such an emotional effect on me is because how rare scenes like this are (at least according to my limited knowledge of anime). Sure, we’ve seen other young kids die, but often times, they’re not portrayed as an everyday average kid, or they’re not as prominent of a character like Nanako was. I’ve compared her with Rin from Usagi Drop or Hina from Papa Ki several times already, but I think the same comparison is apt here as well – just think about how you would feel if those two characters were to die. Her death came so suddenly too – one minute she’s firmly on the path to recovery, and the next moment her condition takes a turn for the worse.

As much as I’m affected by her death, I can only begin to imagine what it must feel like for her father and cousin. Doujima has never been one to deal with death easily, taking him years to finally move on from his wife’s death, and now he faces the same situation again – losing his daughter before he even has the chance to say goodbye. He had only begun to repair his relationship with Nanako before she was kidnapped, and even after she was saved, they couldn’t even spend quality time with each other since they were largely confined to bed rest. At least Doujima will have Yuu to grieve with.

We have already seen Yuu’s personality change when he found out that she was kidnapped, and I think now with her passing, he’ll use this as even more motivation to finally put this case to rest. Before Nanako became involved, he didn’t really have a personal stake in the Inaba kidnappings. Unlike the rest of the Investigation Team members, Yuu doesn’t have a shadow nor was he ever kidnapped. I think that this created this disconnect between him and the case that the other members did not have, and it is probably why up until now he’s been calm and cool in the face of adversity. Now that the case has hit close to home though, Yuu has a newfound personal motivation to fight and has become a force to be reckoned with. Even Kunino-Sagari’s Control spell wasn’t enough to keep him down for long, and with his deck of Personas growing by the day, I’m looking forward to seeing Yuu going all out on whatever or whomever stands in the way of his quest for justice.

Notes:
* Full-length images: 02, 03, 04, 08, 27

Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   Preview 01 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   Preview 02 Persona 4 the ANIMATION   22   Preview 03
March 10, 2012 at 4:04 am
  • March 10, 2012 at 4:32 amBass.EXE

Oh, god. I knew this wasn’t the season finale so when the show started to wrap up with 3+ minutes left, I was getting a little suspicious. Sure I wanted more conflict, but not like this…not like this.

• March 10, 2012 at 4:32 amfragb85

Episode in a nutshell: NANAAAAAAAAAKO!!!!!!!!(redux)

I still remember this scene. It was definitely a punch in the gut. I always though Nanako’s death would make an episode tearjerking end and lo and behold it did happen. Of course its nice to see Yuu just crying over her. The whole silent protagnist shtick always bothered me in the game because the Brotagonist always seemed unfazed.

The fight with Kunino-Sagiri was pretty good. The Shadow Jesus Hippie always gave me the creeps even in the game. I’m also happy that Yuu summoned Sraosha and Koryu, two of my favorite personas. That was one epic Hamaon spell too.

And now the mystery deepens with the fog even if they caught the murderer.

• March 10, 2012 at 4:45 amDa5id

Well, this definitely felt like a good penultimate boss fight, storywise, although I’m sure that this is what it was in the game as well. All the Arcana cameos I’m sure were there went right over my head (plus it was pretty damn random seeing a giant golden dragon show up out of nowhere and go completely unexplained), but I guess that’s what comes with watching the anime adaptation of a game without having actually played it.

As for what I DO know what I’m talking about, it was nice for Yuu to get some emotion just in time to watch everything go to hell. Being a stoic but well meaning Pro-Tag had its charms, but now’s not the time.

• March 10, 2012 at 8:34 amsaka

the dragon, kohryu, is the ultimate persona for the hieroplant arcana.
      the wielder of the hieroplant social link is dojima.

so the rest of the puzzle you can probably complete it yourself.

• March 10, 2012 at 3:26 pmAni_BEE

I find the arcana hard to fallow sometimes as well, like Da5id as I never played the game(s) and have that as refernce. I only got it was Dojima persona/bond from his voice and hand stilling Yuu’s hand before the dragon appeared.

• March 11, 2012 at 6:28 pmYue

I believe at that particular scene you hear Doujima telling Yuu to protect Nanako, and then the golden dragon appears.

In a way it was like Doujima manifesting as the dragon through Yuu to protect Nanako. Kinda like how afterwards Yuu summoned the ultimate persona from Nanako’s arcana and pressed the ‘I win’ button, because you know…Nanako’s awesome.

• March 10, 2012 at 4:47 amsaka

TRUE ENDING GO TRUE ENDING GO TRUE ENDING GO

don’t fail us, director of persona 4!

• March 11, 2012 at 6:55 amKaleRylan

Please god yes.

Did anyone else see the gas station attendant this episode though? If they don’t go true ending, that just seems like trolling.

Also, if you’re only ever going to make one anime adaptation of a show, wouldn’t it be a shame to not do the true ending?

• March 11, 2012 at 11:40 amunderMebius

Tell that to Amagami SS. They only adapted Haruka’s (true) Best ending, the rest of the girls’s ending was either Good or anime original.

• March 10, 2012 at 4:50 amRiliane

I never played the game so I wondered what shocking development they would have in store for us to fill the remaining episodes but killing Nanako…not cool man, not cool at all that made me choke up

• March 10, 2012 at 5:07 amThousand Mistress

NANAKOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

*my only initial reaction after this ep*
    We-ell, as always, can’t wait for next week. I sure hope they pursue the True Ending and not just end it like that to be honest….

I just can’t wait for next week’s episode, seriously. Something really is bugging me that they should go and release it like NOW or else I’ll be disappointed. XD No spoilers there, just stating~

• March 10, 2012 at 5:24 amD-LaN

Prediction: majority of the comment will be Nanakoooooooooo!!!!!!

Am I the only one who think Namatame Shadow(?) is both hilarious and disturbing AT THE SAME TIME!? To quote Hiimdaisy comic: It’s Symbolism!!!

Obligatory reference: Welcome to Inaba Hill where you can face your own true self and enjoy the fog.

And now, wht route will they do? Hopefully they have the time and episode left…. Speaking of which, how many more episode left?

• March 10, 2012 at 10:43 amZero

• March 13, 2012 at 10:28 amiron2000

25 episodes, according to wiki.

• March 10, 2012 at 5:27 amJiCi

Dude, that was heavy…

(Wow, I wrote a lot…)

Atlus realy knew how to deliver tension and drama back then… and they still do here. I’m eager to see the rest.

Thanks a lot for the review Verdant

• March 10, 2012 at 10:47 amZero

Good call on most of those, but I think adachi was the one that called Yuu to the hospital when Nanako’s condition got worse…

• March 10, 2012 at 5:51 amJNAS

Everything I could say either has been said or is going to be said.

But one thing I’d like comment on. Why did they barely use Heaven?! They started it and just when came to the good part they stopped it. WTH!

• March 10, 2012 at 6:07 amRJ TAYLER

I’ll just keep it short ok. An all-to-rare classic cliffhanger of the type that kept me watching Television in the first place. Well done, await more.

• March 10, 2012 at 6:29 amYin

I wasn’t affected by Nanako’s death as much as I’d have thought, since I’m a big cry baby during these type of scenes. I dunno, I REFUSE TO BELIEVE THAT SHE’S DEAD! (has not played the game or read any spoilers)

• March 10, 2012 at 6:55 amRainbowIslands

Well, that boss-dude did say Mayonaka Terebi is a signal telling him who to save capture. And I thought they would go on with that lead (and the fog) in the next episode. But For What Reason Did They Have To Kill Off Nanako?! I think Yuu already has enough incentive to solve the case right (he did come this far afterall)? Why kill off Nanako so we get all teary (for no obvious reason as of yet)?

Being logical, this has to be something about ‘saving’ people that last boss said, it might be neccessary for her to die as a plot device :(. So the true kidnapper/murderer might not be all bad as we thought. But Nanako’s persona/shadow never showed up, so no luck in saving her in the first place b/c she’s prolly still too young to have one?

I knew that Nanatame wasn’t the final boss. He’s too un-boss-like in the most conventional sense. We knew almost nothing about him until like last episode. I don’t like his character design as well. Or his shadow for that matter.

• March 10, 2012 at 7:13 amChaos Raiden

The last scene of this episode works well and emotionally like the game’s counterpart. Can’t wait to see how it unfolds in the next episode.

• March 10, 2012 at 7:35 amIzumi

I don’t know… I watched too many series that when a character died, they will somehow revived in the very next episode. And for that same reason I am hoping that Nana-chan is not dead yet… Obviously I don’t play the game to compare the two. I actually feel very sorry for Doujima. :(

• March 10, 2012 at 8:19 amAlfred

Soooooooooooooooooooooooo Show Spoiler ▼

• March 10, 2012 at 8:41 amrasone0104

if you played the game and looked reaallly close XD

• March 10, 2012 at 9:54 amMorridin

It was a nicely conceiled one.

Also; Nanaaaaaaaaaaaaakooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

• March 10, 2012 at 10:29 amD-LaN

o.O Woah I miss it. But I suppose only a P4 player would notice tht. Despite I haven’t played P4 (yet) I know most of the spoiler already. Is there a link?

• March 12, 2012 at 9:55 amAlfred

• March 10, 2012 at 9:52 amXDark-AlchemistX

YEAH! I was hoping that yuu in some point would summon tam lin!
    anyway….i’m looking for the final chapter of the series….(I just hope it’s not the ending I got first in the game)

• March 10, 2012 at 9:55 amMorridin

I think the only scene in anime that got me more was a certain funeral in the Full Metal Alchemist series

• March 10, 2012 at 10:33 amHenDarou

The whole time they were in the department store looking at kotatsu’s I had a sad smile on my face because I knew what was about to happen. The scene was definitely the most emotional thing in the game.

TREMENDOUSLY HUGE TRUE ENDING SPOILERS:

• March 10, 2012 at 11:15 amXziled

I’m not sure about you guys, but I think they’re going to turn the true ending either into a movie or an oav of sorts.

I can’t really tell why they would kill off nanako at this point unless they’re going for a bad ending or an original ending, guess we’ll see how things will go next week.

• March 11, 2012 at 8:17 amD-LaN

Excuse me, are they enough material for a movie/OVA ‘cuz accdng to my limited info(obtain frm spoiler) they shouldn’t be enough material for a OVA/movie episode. Just how much stuff do they left?

Tht aside, would lk to see P4U/A get turned into movie.

• March 10, 2012 at 11:30 amKusabi

Wow, I’m nearly crying in the last 2 minutes of this ep…
    And I’m not even kidding! (Junpei Iori style)

• March 10, 2012 at 11:40 amRyugan

i think in the next episode when they go to confront namatame and “THAT” try to happen margareth is going to apear inside the mind of yuu and then the empress slink will be stablished

• March 10, 2012 at 12:34 pmPtolemaios00

No no no!! Quit game, Load last save!! Oh, wait, not yet.

• March 10, 2012 at 1:19 pmrpgman1

What a heartbreaking episode. Namatame is a lunatic who thinks he’s a savior, but he’s just as clueless as anybody else in the Investigation Team. He doesn’t know the repercussions on the other side. Kunino-Sagiri looks like a rejected fallen angel who is suppose to be a savior, but he looks like a freaky Moa head wearing a t-shirt that says love and peace. Kohryu saved the gang from his control and the gang showed payback to him. Poor Nanako had to die and Doujima will get furious against Namatame. Yuu still needs to get Empress and Judgment though.

• March 11, 2012 at 5:20 pmrainbowbutt

I believe Yuu already has max judgement else he cant perform the epic Hama spell. Judgement is obtained from Nanako’s link too so yeah

• March 13, 2012 at 8:10 ammisterbin

Uh, Nanako is supposed to be Justice, not Judgement.

• March 11, 2012 at 5:22 pmrainbowbutt

oh wait its not from Nanako its from after saving Nanako which he did to perform Hama XD my bad

• March 10, 2012 at 2:29 pmYukie

I’ve never played the games, but I really enjoyed watching Persona 4 due to the comedy. I was caught completely off-guard by this turn of events. My stomach completely dropped at the last few seconds of this episode. I thought this was a light-hearted show and suddenly my favorite character dies!I was so ready for a happy ending :’( And she didn’t even get to see her father T.T I feel like Nanako always gets the short end of the stick..it’s unfair..

• March 10, 2012 at 3:17 pmCorn

I really REALLY hope for a true ending otherwise it would be too sad…

Nanako…. This episode was heartbreaking.

• March 10, 2012 at 5:19 pmXanathos

At last… the Judgement Arcana event.
    The moment of truth, at last…
    Will the fool overcome the devil to become the messiah, or will it become devil itself?

• March 10, 2012 at 6:15 pmchanceOFlife

if i dont play the game i think i will probaly cry right now,this series really good adaptation, i wonder what will happen if P3 is animated with arisato last scene is (probaly) more emotional and unpredictable,i probaly will cry even though i already know that he will die
    but i dissapointed they dont use helel as star arcana initial persona,and one more thing when empress arcana will trigered? or maybe they will make margareth *hidden* boss animated? (i am looking forward if they will)

• March 10, 2012 at 7:01 pmrpgman1

I highly doubt the animation will make Margaret a boss, more like a seer telling Yuu to face his destiny and find the truth. Lots of symbolism throughout the series despite its lighthearted moments. I highly doubt this series ends at 25 episodes since we’re still left with unsolved mysteries.

• March 10, 2012 at 7:42 pmanna

Wow, they actually did it…

• March 11, 2012 at 3:34 amBloody

The real killer is the one you’d least expect. Just saying.

For some reason, I didn’t cry. But, I didn’t quite expect this, Nanako dead and all. She was just supposed to be in a coma.

Also for those who want to see P3 as an anime, there’s a chance there’d be a rise in suicide rates via gun in Japan should they make it, if you know what I mean. ;)

• March 11, 2012 at 5:24 pmrainbowbutt

haha yeah but now there’s a rise of people crushing cards in mid air xD

• March 11, 2012 at 3:42 amBloody

Also, Nanako didn’t have a shadow because she was too young to have any sort of conflicted feelings, unlike the rest of the Investigation Team, excluding Yu.

• March 11, 2012 at 4:27 amThe Moondoggie

WTH?!?! To get the True End, Show Spoiler ▼

OK, Whose fucking game is this? Yuu is obviously on NGP already, able to take on bosses alone.

Calling it now: We have in our hands an anime original.

• March 11, 2012 at 4:54 amfragb85

That’s not how you get the True End.

• March 11, 2012 at 7:15 amAnza

Apparently some people forgot about the true ending in the game…

• March 11, 2012 at 11:59 amXanathos

True.
    The true ending… the Judgement Arcana event…

• March 11, 2012 at 2:16 pmrpgman1

Regardless of the circumstances, the anime seems to hype up the PS Vita game P4G (Persona 4 the Golden). Besides, they don’t want to disappoint the fans anyway and we’re not even sure which ending the anime is going towards yet. I want to see what the Investigation Team does to Namatame anyway and whether Yuu Narukami will get any new Arcana.

• March 12, 2012 at 8:44 amSnicket

So, we’ve come to this point. A few things were changed here from the game, but that seems to be par for the course. (JiCi’s post, lists all the changes) With less then a handful of episodes left, i’m curious if there going to do the good ending and have an OVA for the ‘true’ one. Or if there going to try and cram it onto these last few episodes. It’s hard to say at this point.

• March 12, 2012 at 10:19 pmKumaKaori

HO.LY. @$%^ THAT WAS BRILLIANT.

The adaptation of the dungeon, The adaptation for this entire ep was BRILLIANT.

Genbu, Seiryu, Suzaku, Byakko! –> KOHRYU! I’m like .. wait, why 4 tem– KOHRYUUUUUU! (Kohryu is probably my strongest persona in my playthrough of the game so I’m a little attached to the guy.) –perance arcana in this fusion?

I’d almost forgotten the gimmick of this battle and how the boss will mind control you. That, was freaking awesome. Oh man next week needs to get here faster XD;.

• April 2, 2012 at 12:13 pmAshen

Oh god. This one’s last couple of minutes absolutely RIPPED OUT MY HEART AND STOMPED ON IT.

I hope there’s some cosmic loophole the Investigation Team can find and use in order to bring Nanako back. She’s so sweet and innocent; I can’t bear the thought that she’d be gone from the world.

• April 2, 2012 at 1:48 pmDa5id

Keep watching, Ashen. Keep watching.