C3 – OVA
OP3: 「紋」 (Mon) by 喜多村 英梨 (Kitamura Eri)
「林間学校こんふゅーじょん!」 (Rinkangakkou Konfyujon!)
“The Outdoor School Confusion”
School field trip with Haruaki and the gang? Count me in! It’s somewhat unfortunate that only the first episode of C³ was covered here at RandomC – I for one quite enjoyed the series as a whole. But what’s done is done; all I can do is blog the unaired thirteenth episode which fortunately, is relatively disconnected from the rest of the series.
I originally went into the anime not really knowing what to expect – my only experience of SILVER LINK came from Baka to Test to Shokanjuu, which on the whole was a very light-hearted and comedic anime, and such did C³ appear on first glance. The first episode left me relatively underwhelmed – the comedy and fan service were interesting, but not near the level I’d come to expect from BakaTest. No, what drew me to C³ in the end wasn’t the humour and frequent panty shots, but the brilliant juxtaposition of said light-hearted, fan service-filled segments and the much darker, psychotic and often downright gory interactions with other cursed instruments. Also Fear. Fortunately we get a lot of the latter in this OVA!
I never fail to be amazed by SILVER LINK’s gorgeous OP sequences. Several of my favourite of recent years have come from their works – they have such a way with colours, contrasts, animation and cuts. Their musical choices help a lot too, but it’s the beauty of the imagery that really hooks me on that front.
Looking back, I can barely remember the sole school field trip I took long ago in a forgotten past, but I can tell you it was no-where near as eventful as your typical anime equivalent! From what I’ve heard, the purpose of these field trips is to promote the strengthening of friendships and create good memories (ahem!) that will stay with you forever (almost exactly what was said by the school’s superintendent). I guess, being as extraordinary as they are, it wouldn’t be too hard to form the mistaken idea that it would take extraordinary events in order to build worthwhile memoires for our central cast. It seems likely the superintendent never realised that all Fear ever really wanted was to be normal. But I can forgive him since it gave us quite a few chances to see Fear’s adorable side.
Of course, it wouldn’t be an episode of C³ without fan service, and fan service we get. Quite a lot of it in fact! Ranging from the bathing scene to Fear and Konoha dripping wet… there’s pretty much something in there for everyone. I was a little sad that we never got to see Fear go into her psychotic cursed tool mode, but I guess you can’t have everything. Haruaki doesn’t get much of a chance to shine in this episode either, acting as more of a damsel in distress and a motivator for Fear. Konoha, Kirika and Shiraho each get their moments of glory though, confronting their ‘tormentors,’ solving the ‘mystery’ and apparently turning into a superhuman ninja who can move faster than the eye can perceive!
- Oh Fear, I’ve missed your crazy antics! Artistic or not, that’s definitely not the way to pitch a tent!
- I’ve always wondered, is making curry on a school trip really a thing in Japan? Almost every anime I can think of with a field trip episode makes a point of it.
- Friend about to fall into a pit? Don’t worry, just give ‘em a good kick and you can save them from potential doom!
- With the whole school field trip setting, parts of the second half of the episode felt a bit like a test of courage to me.
- Someone is probably going to be feeling a lot of pain when everyone gets back to school!
* Apologies for the delay – I was unaware that I was going to be blogging this until late last night.
* Special thanks to Stereoman for successfully taming the ED full-length!
ED2: 「Sympathy of Love」 by 田村 ゆかり (Tamura Yukari)