« Vividred Operation – 11

Vividred Operation – 12 (END)

Vividred Operation   12   01 Vividred Operation   12   02 Vividred Operation   12   03
Vividred Operation   12   04 Vividred Operation   12   05 Vividred Operation   12   06
Vividred Operation   12   07 Vividred Operation   12   08 Vividred Operation   12   09
Vividred Operation   12   10 Vividred Operation   12   11 Vividred Operation   12   12
Vividred Operation   12   13 Vividred Operation   12   14 Vividred Operation   12   15
Vividred Operation   12   16 Vividred Operation   12   17 Vividred Operation   12   18
Vividred Operation   12   19 Vividred Operation   12   20 Vividred Operation   12   21
Vividred Operation   12   22 Vividred Operation   12   23 Vividred Operation   12   24
Vividred Operation   12   25 Vividred Operation   12   26 Vividred Operation   12   27
Vividred Operation   12   28 Vividred Operation   12   29 Vividred Operation   12   30
Vividred Operation   12   31 Vividred Operation   12   32 Vividred Operation   12   33
Vividred Operation   12   34 Vividred Operation   12   35 Vividred Operation   12   36
Vividred Operation   12   37 Vividred Operation   12   38 Vividred Operation   12   39

「ビビッドレッド オペレーション」 (Bibiddoreddo Opereshon)
“Vividred Operation”

Gosh darn, this season really knows how to pull its endings doesn’t it? Virtually every single series I’ve watched so far has had some kind of satisfying/great ending, and Vividred Operation joins the list with its explosive (literally) finale.

Following up from last week, things look pretty grim for the most part to start things off. The UDF sends everything it has against the amalgamation of Rei + the crow to no avail, and the Incarnate Engine’s on the brink of destruction as a result. But true to their words, the Vivid team launches one final attack—powered by their friendship—in an attempt to rescue Rei. Needless to say, they pull out all the stops—including Vividyellow, Vividgreen, and Vividblue Final Operations—in order to do so. Ultimately, they succeed in getting Akane to Rei, and the rest they say is history…

…as we finally get to see the docking operation for which the series is named, and interestingly enough, it involves Akane docking with someone—rather than someone else initiating the process. And well, we get some ridiculously awesome moments afterwards—full of epic supersonic Vivid punches from outer space and crazy power levels surpassing the universe itself—as a result. Suffice to say, words can’t really describe how ridiculously awesome the entire sequence of events ended up being, and I think I can speak for most people still watching this series when I say that this finale was pretty darn enjoyable.

On that note, I have to give some recognition to Fukasawa Hideyuki, whose soundtrack really complemented the actions scenes—not only in this episode, but throughout the entire series itself. As such, it’s exceptionally painful to see that there’s literally no information regarding an impending release of the soundtrack, which is easily one of the more notable ones in the past few seasons.
EDIT: Scratch that, looks like there’s an OST coming with the Vol. 4 BD’s… though it won’t release till June.

Finally, I’d just like to note how the crow was pretty darn devious. Not only did she take the arrows away from Rei to throw her powers to overdrive, but she intentionally kept her alive just so she could witness the death of her friends too. Admittedly, it’s somewhat cliche and ended up being her downfall, but there’s just something wicked about that regardless.

Final Impressions after the ED/Epilogue Caps…

ED5.12 Sequence

Vividred Operation   ED5.12   01 Vividred Operation   ED5.12   02 Vividred Operation   ED5.12   03
Vividred Operation   ED5.12   04 Vividred Operation   ED5.12   05 Vividred Operation   ED5.12   06
Vividred Operation   ED5.12   07 Vividred Operation   ED5.12   08 Vividred Operation   ED5.12   09

Epilogue:

Vividred Operation   12   40 Vividred Operation   12   41 Vividred Operation   12   42

Final Impressions:

Looking back in retrospect, the big thing I pointed out about Vividred Operation was how it seemed like it would be something entertaining regardless of how its plot ended up. As it turns out, the basic plot indeed wasn’t anything to speak home about, but at the very least, the entertainment value was definitely present. Seeing gals flying around kicking alien butt on a weekly basis—with a side of mayo on everything—was pretty fun, and it’s something that made Vividred a nice series to watch after a long, tiring day at school/work. At the end of the day, people watch anime to either be entertained and/or get away from the stresses of life and I believe this series managed to provide that entertainment/escape for a fair amount of viewers. Ultimately though, what can I say? What you saw was what you got with this series. Regardless of the obvious short comings with the plot and so forth, the fact of the matter is, those shortcomings were expected. Entertainment was the overall purpose of the series and entertainment was what we got. And to me, that’s all that matters in this case.

March 28, 2013 at 9:03 pm
  • March 28, 2013 at 9:16 pmWanderer

Fun series was fun. Ending was predictable, but in exactly the kind of ways that I like, so I don’t hold that against it.

There’s NOTHING about the soundtrack? That’s practically a crime! I’ve got that music that they play during the “awesome” moments (which of course is the theme they played during the Vivid Punch) running through my head now. Ever since I first heard a version of it in episode 1 when Akane made throwing an empty can away epic, I wanted to get that as an individual track.

• March 28, 2013 at 10:35 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Yeah, that’s actually a good thing that many series’ tend to not do; it knows what it is and it doesn’t try to make itself out to be something else really. It was pretty much exactly what many people expected it to be, but kept itself entertaining and enjoyable, so despite some of the obvious cliches, unlike a bunch of other series that may fall back on them, we viewers don’t mind nearly as much.

• March 28, 2013 at 11:54 pmJohnHayabusa

That pic reminds me of the ending of Madoka, only the roles have been reversed. Well another great anime has ended. I am going to miss this mahou shoujo anime for a while… and its backstories.

This anime also ended with Akane/Rei. I feel a bit sorry for Aoi. Being Aoi must be suffering. Just like Rikka suffering as she sees Mana and Makoto together (Doki Doki PreCure).

• March 28, 2013 at 9:23 pmGucio

Original soundtrack will be included in vol.4-5 blu-ray limited edition :)

• March 28, 2013 at 9:26 pmZephyr

Hmmm… oh you’re right. Sadly… it’s a June release. Ugh. I saw a bunch of bonus CD’s listed over at VGMdb before, but no OST. Well, at least something’s coming… even though it’s gonna be a hella wait.

• March 28, 2013 at 9:33 pmWanderer

Phew, that’s a relief. I need me this music!

• March 29, 2013 at 4:16 amGermanguy

The Opening of the Music, reminds me a bit of “Superman” Title

• March 28, 2013 at 9:24 pmAyatane

this was a really cool episode, but

Nanoha Spoiler Show Spoiler ▼

• March 28, 2013 at 11:25 pmos

I guess most boss fight episodes are like that.

• March 29, 2013 at 5:36 amMasterDragonKnight

Play this song, Namae wo Yonde, during this scene.

It actually fits really well.

• March 29, 2013 at 5:39 amMasterDragonKnight

Oops, wrong link. I meant this scene.

• March 29, 2013 at 9:24 amSmithCB

Yeah, right….!

• March 28, 2013 at 9:25 pmmythnut

And thus VividRed was forever nicknamed Lady Captain Falcon.
    Also: sexy, sexy explosions.
    Finally: are we to assume that the Alone are basically made-to-order monsters used by “Them” (infinity guy up there), and nothing more, then? Because that’s fine, but I was starting to hope for something a little more Lovecraftian and developed with how the crow was describing the Alone.

• March 28, 2013 at 9:45 pmfragb85

The power of yuri friendship saves the world!

Akane is such a player docking with her entire harem in one battle. Then she proceeds to add Rei to it as well. Also, Vividred is awesome. Sure you can hanv the fancy hammers, swords, and laser beams. But nothing can beat the simple elegance of a BURNING FIST OF YURI FRIENDSHIP from orbit.

There really isn’t much to say about Vividred. Its simple and straightforward. It sets itself as a Magical Girl show with action and friendship themes and does it well. Its easy to forget how a simple show can be very enjoyable.

• March 29, 2013 at 11:03 amewok40k

“No matter how powerful your goggles instruments, power of Yuri freindship cannot be measured!”

• March 30, 2013 at 8:21 pmarcane

hammer, sword, shield, or even beam,
      cannot replace the wonderful power of hand job.. err, punch.

• March 28, 2013 at 10:12 pmSamuel776

I still can’t get over the fact that Rei gets a happy ending after leaving countless of UN (and possibly civilian) dead. It’s like the show is telling us: Do whatever hell you want! Yuri power and a few teardrops will absolve you of all sins :P

• March 28, 2013 at 10:22 pmStigmata25

Rei is so Moe ! So ALL will be forgiven. :D

• March 28, 2013 at 10:35 pmStigmata25

Ya know Sam, It reminds me of my First wife… She broke my heart, wrecked my truck, stole my dog and half of everything I own and looked soo cute doing it. ( hey, sounds like the beginning of a C&W song)

• March 29, 2013 at 6:23 amqwert

Well at least this time the deaths weren’t due to a misunderstanding about tomatoes…

• March 28, 2013 at 10:18 pmsomeone

So, the point to this show has been what exactly? I haven’t watched this, and it seems like alot of kiddies seem to like the whole “hot-pants” aspect about this. Is that all there is to this show, or is there actually a story?

• March 28, 2013 at 10:26 pmStigmata25

Yes there is a Plot Girl in Hot Pants meet other Girls with Hot Pants, Beat Alien Butt to Save the world and look cute doing it. What an AWESOME Plot ( with butt shots to boot) Who can ask for more.

• March 28, 2013 at 10:25 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

• March 28, 2013 at 10:35 pmWilfriback

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

• March 28, 2013 at 10:48 pmStigmata25

I say BOOO to your comment. ( there thast makes 13)

• March 28, 2013 at 10:57 pmAnonymous

Joke’s on you Wilfriback, comments are still ever increasing as the amount of ridicule you’re receiving for your cheap trolling is becoming proportional to the downvotes you’re getting.

• March 29, 2013 at 4:12 ammetalgearhunter

Was not wasted at the end. It was totally perfecto, and USED every second they had!

• March 28, 2013 at 10:56 pmAnonymous

SEASON TWO! SEASON TWO!

For surely we all want to know: Who are the Alone? What do they want? Why are they doing this in a destructive way?

Screw that, the real reason we want Season Two: More yuri docking.

• March 30, 2013 at 1:08 pmFireGure

Season 2, bring out VividBlack this time!!!

• March 28, 2013 at 11:03 pmJ-Luke

A very enjoyable series indeed… and the fortunately the series also ended with one of its trade marks:
    The ending wouldn’t have been complete without it… ;)

• March 28, 2013 at 11:13 pmStigmata25

J-Luke, That’s what you call a Great end

• March 28, 2013 at 11:12 pmJif

Operation Vividbutts was a huge success. Surpassed all expectations.

• March 29, 2013 at 6:23 amBear

The butts that saved the world.

• March 28, 2013 at 11:38 pmProfChaos

This isn’t related to the anime more like just my fantasy going wild.

Once I saw that door and that key that belong to Rei, Kingdom Hearts immediately popped into my mind. That Rei is a keyblade master and the alone are actually heartless, and Rei lost her home world to them.

Well that’s enough of my rambling. Anyways the anime was alright, it could have better.

• March 29, 2013 at 4:09 amGermanguy

Sure, they took many inspirations into this Anime. Evangelion Boss Designs touch, Kingdom Hearts Keys, Madoka Magic, Peach or Full Moon lovers and so on

But they mixed it very well. And thats why we love it. The Balance was just right

• March 29, 2013 at 5:00 amGermanguy

or in other Words…

The Chief cook, made a delicious Meal from many others ingredients. And he named this meal “Vividred Operation”

• March 29, 2013 at 12:40 aminfo600

It’s been a great ride, with a great view…(hint hint)

Shame this scene just sealed any chances of a second season…

Some BD OVAs for sure

• March 29, 2013 at 1:33 amKiess

I see that the Eye of Sauron has lost yet again……..

• March 29, 2013 at 5:28 amMasterDragonKnight

One Key to rule them all,
      One Key to find them,
      One Key to bring them all,
      And Vividly bind them!

• March 29, 2013 at 12:15 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Aside from Sauron, the shape also reminded me a bit of Solaris from Superman, lol.

• March 29, 2013 at 2:41 amSteve

Please, Season TWO!!!! Who are other “key” with docking?

• March 29, 2013 at 2:55 ammac65

Just straight up entertainment; a good ride.
    I thought they would all dock at once, but it’s good to know she has the stamina for these “situations.”

• March 29, 2013 at 4:08 amTheMoondoggie

Not the best this season, but a fun ride for everyone(at least everyone who liked it). The end was a bit meh, but overall a good episode with a sequel hook.

So until the announcement…. S2 when?

• March 29, 2013 at 4:13 ammetalgearhunter

I believe there will be no season two, quite sadly, and I would have appreciated to see a bit more of the after life with Rei and Akane, does she stay in that world, or can she now walk between dimensions?

• March 29, 2013 at 9:31 amSmithCB

Rei may be able to travel, since the end sequence showed Rei’s bird introducing himself to Akane, and a lone figure in the distance looking out over the water. She evidently still has the key to that door.

• March 29, 2013 at 5:22 amYourIdeas

Seeing comments on a few other sites about how Vividred was wasted potential and could’ve had a great plot and yadda-yadda. While it didn’t do anything terribly original and had a pretty mehtastic plot, this is just one of those series that I watched because I wanted something to kick back easy on. It was basically my fill of an entire Pretty Cure/Power Ranger series smooshed into a single cour, which I watch more for the entertainment and less for some deeper meaning.

• March 29, 2013 at 5:23 amSeedStriker

I find very disturbing listening Mie Sonozaki (better known for Strike Witches’ Gertrud “Trude” Barkhorn) in the “I’m a villan that’s surpassing the powers of gods” role. Thankfully, there’s a whole Vivid Team to make her shut up, and the epic Vivid Punch (cousin of one Falcon Punch) to end the cheap evil talk.
    I kinda expected a better end, but I’m fine with it (after the monumental ending of GuP, there’s no series this season that can put a better one)
    Running on fumes? A cheating crow that had all the aces? No help at all for the so-called “superior beings”? No problem! Friendship, guts and a well placed fist can solve everything! (with that kind of punch, Vividred might be the original Bellcross from Heroic Age)

• March 29, 2013 at 5:28 amc2710

Akane-Rei kami sama has descended upon us as our salvation against the Alones

• March 29, 2013 at 6:19 amcarter

the crow has has gone mad with power going like kaboom all worlds with look everyone is screwed but wait rei is still alive inside the crow beast.

with look like game over but akane & vivid rangers not so fast cause get rei & save the world cause now crow is going blackout the world.

so vivid combine overload from yellow blast attack, sword green slash, & blue hammer time combos for akane get rei & to reveal docking with akane & rei to vivid red with all that fly to space for a let’s see you grit those teeth punch to defeat the crow.

all saved & oh good news that another alone being decide give rei her world back now give some bye & rei give akane her neck scarf with we will meet again cue rei go home.

time has past from everything normal akane’s grandpa back in human body, akane’s mom come home, etc til akane see a bird & rei indeed the end.

• March 29, 2013 at 6:32 amqwert

I really wish they’d managed to fit in a Rei transformation.

There could have been a touching reunion inside the crow and Rei’s old key transforming into her vivid system key and then move on to the docking and all…

Well at least we got to see Vivid Red finally.

Could they pull off a second season with the enemy apparently defeated? I guess Strike Witches managed it with their whole “oh, well now there’s a new enemy that’s really the same old enemy but another faction”.

• March 29, 2013 at 10:31 amYuhsaku

Good series. Enjoyed it. But a lot of anime really like putting those evil eyes do they? :) I guess I’m right about Vividred Operation as the result of the docking with Rei.

Season 2? Sure. Why not? That could be Rei’s hand where Bisque perched. Perhaps there’s a new crisis why Rei could have returned. That crow can return with a vengeance. And perhaps an explanation about the power of those arrows. Is Rei the only one who possess those arrows?

But even without a season 2, it’s a satisfying ending for me.

• March 29, 2013 at 11:04 amMartianMage

That was incredibly cheesy really =x

• March 29, 2013 at 12:04 pmGermanguy

For the Ones, where they found the ending “cliche!” or “Cheesy”

Not every Anime must invent the Wheel a new. Some of them just want to entertain the Spectators. And not every time with Drama, Sadness and other Things. Just have a good Time watching it, and peek for a moment into a world of Happiness

• March 29, 2013 at 12:19 pmdaikama

Crow-san’s rant made me think of #6 and #24 on the Evil Overlord checklist. One would think a “supreme” being would know better. Crow-san, you fail.

I’m also disappointed there was no Vivid Black ignition with Rei. Vivid black ignition first, THEN go to the obligatory Vivid Red docking.

Not much I can add to what’s already been written in Zephyr’s review and above comments. The ending was very much in the Vividred style with nothing unexpected or unusual (well, other than Crow-san’s unique digestive system). Rei returning to visit Akane could arguably be called too cliche, but for this show I think it works. The ending wouldn’t feel quite as complete IMO without that last little added touch.

• March 29, 2013 at 8:46 pmDude

There shouldn’t be a season 2. The threat is over and humanity is deemed worthy enough to keep the Manifestor Engine.

Let a good story go to bed and end it.

• March 30, 2013 at 1:49 amiluvgirlwithgalses

WILD PUNCH!!!!

• March 30, 2013 at 4:17 pmWrenleos

Was I the only one hoping for a Vividblack or a Vividrainbow?
    Yea?
    Ok…………………………………………………..

• March 30, 2013 at 9:21 pmClaymore

This series was dull and boring simple as that, I wouldn’t even call it entertainment.

• March 30, 2013 at 11:59 pmd-LaN

I’m curious why are you still here if you call it boring.

• March 31, 2013 at 3:14 amClaymore

So I’am not allowed to comment on awful shows like this?

• March 31, 2013 at 3:31 amfragb85

That’s your prerogative but you don’t deserve the be indignant when all you have to say are trollish statements.

• March 31, 2013 at 10:21 amGermanguy

Care to explain, why you find this “Show” Boring? With just that, there is no way how they can get better in your Eyes.

• March 31, 2013 at 3:27 amSiege

Really, PUNCH? I honestly think Akane’s Rang forming into a bow, and Rei’s arrow would of been more appropriate.

• March 31, 2013 at 4:47 amVaans

I’m gonna be honest, I’m gonna miss them asses… *sniff*

• March 31, 2013 at 9:45 pmtendo

This is the only new show from the last season that I have watched in its entirety.
    And the reason most people liked it including myself is because of the DOCKINGs which is a way of yuri where one girl unites in soul and body with another girl.
    And the more we see these girls and the less of the boys the better. Shows like Strawberry Panic is a great example where guys simply do not exist. Is this the only yuri anime where no guys are shown?
    And also Mariasama ga miteru is another example because most the anime happens inside an ALL GIRLS SCHOOL. we need more series where there is either no guys at all or guys that rarely appear.

• April 1, 2013 at 6:35 amAnon

I’ll miss the loli butts. ;_;

• April 2, 2013 at 1:27 pmRincewind

Heh, in the credits, Wakaba walking with Himawari and Momo.
    Good job, Wakaba, you unlocked the harem ending! Live the dream girl! Live the dream!!

• April 3, 2013 at 3:58 pmPatsuan

Nothing solves your problems with the universe quite like a bare-knuckle punch… from space. :)
    Even though it was a silly and often rather cheesy show I still had fun watching this (and also spotting all the Evangelion references), so in the end I defenitly don’t regret picking Vividred up.
    Thanks for blogging it, Zephyr.

• April 10, 2013 at 9:33 amiron2000

So in the end Akane became the ‘wrapper’ and Rei the ‘base’?
    Don’t suppose theres some technical explanation.
    Its a miracle of friendship!! :P

Would have liked a VividRang, having a girl in a frilly dress pull the punches kind of spoil the design.
    An anti-climax after all that light just to pull a punch.
    Felt kind of lazy of the animators.

Saw Evangelion, mahou shoujo, Gao Gai Gar, Go-Busters in it.
    Felt like having mahou shoujo fight things that Super Robots fight.

In the end the higher existence being is still a mystery.
    Alones is still a mystery.
    I suppose the focus is more on friendship and slice-of-life then fully explained techie battle story.