Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince – 07
「欲望の牙城」 (Yokubou no gajou)
“Stronghold of Lust”
For the first time, we have an episode that devoted a fair share of the spotlight to the Wulgaru and to say this is a long time coming would be a gross understatement. I must confess – I had my reservations about the origin about the Wulgaru, whether they are in fact, aliens from another planet or simply human terrorists who have gone renegade. That question was pretty much laid to rest with their introduction this week – and unless a curve ball is thrown at us, I don’t think there’s any doubt that they are indeed, a foreign life form and one that is marked by a fascinating mix of contrasts. On one hand, the prevailing ethos of the Wulgaru’s civilization seemed somewhat similar to that of an archaic warrior tribe – they are ritualized, militaristic and spiritual in nature, and there’s a particular obsession with an unknown prophecy that I assumed actuated the attack on the humans. On the other hand, the relative technological edge that they possess is also beyond doubt, and I suspect their mecha might have a biomechanical component which, to a certain extent, is analogous to the JURIA-system. Humans – or Lamata, as referred to by the Wulgaru – are seen as a primitive life form who has abandoned their innate desires and primordial instincts, and it’s worthy of note that such humanistic values are considered profane and deplorable in the eyes of the aliens.
The upper echelons of the Wulgaru were scintillating, witty and often mysterious in their own right, but it was the Prince Jiart (Midorikawa Hikaru) – the mecha pilot that made a brief appearance in the second episode – who piqued my interest the most. Not only is he a man-about-town that has no qualms about cheating with the king’s concubine, but it has also been made apparent that he’s a loose cannon who answers to no one in this war. Where his ultimate loyalty lies is still to be determined, but it does seem like there’s more to Jiart than meets the eye – he has a history with a certain someone by the name of Teoria and I presumed that person is the enigmatic silver-hair maiden who shows up every now and then. Izuru has clearly shown an interest in the same girl and if the opening theme is any indication, Jiart will probably fill the role of a rival and perhaps represent the third point of the inevitable love triangle that is slowly brewing in the backdrop.
Speaking of Izuru and the Zannen 5, it looks like there’s an epic battle that is in the making over here and I suspect the upcoming showdown will be nothing like what they’ve experienced before. The Battle of Ceres is the human’s first attempt of a large-scale offensive operation – whether it was a wise decision or not is still up for debate, but it does look like the Wulgaru has gained the upper hand in their first few exchange of fire. That certainly does not bode well for the success rate of the mission and it’s not at all reassuring that GDF has put such an incompetent leader at the helm of the operation – Captain Komine is hardly an inspiring figure and having him in charge of the task force is just plain suicide! What comes next for the Zannen 5 is hard to say, but I don’t think there’s any question that Team Rabbit will play a role that is of utmost importance in this mission and if the preview is any hint, Izuru’s Red 5 will be crossing blades with Prince Jiart next week – and no question, that should prove to be an immensely entertaining spectacle to behold!
- There’s a good chance that Team Doberman will show up at the warfront next week. Will they survive for another episode? Stay tuned!
- My wish has come true! It looks like Reika and Rin Rin will indeed, be spending a lot of quality time together.
- Someone should tell the head honchos at GDF that broadcasting their battle plans to the entire world is hardly a shrewd move.
- The Zannen 5 just can’t seem to stay away from each other. So why is everyone in my room?
- “I’ll do my best to become a hero!” – it looks like Kei and the rest of the gang is slowly warming up to Izuru’s dorky charm!
- “Aren’t heroes supposed to be loners?” – how can you not love Izuru when he says things like that without breaking a sweat!
- A sleazy superior leeching off your hard work – now where have I seen that before? Every day at work, that’s where!
- The pit crew and the side characters got a good dose of the screen time this week, but what’s up with those antennae on Yamada Peko (Touyama Nao)? My Peko senses are tingling!
tl;dr: @SeishunRC – #MajesticPrince 07: The mystery and intrigue deepen with the introduction of the alien race. This is the calm before the epic battle next week! #Anime
Full-length images: 02, 03, 04, 08, 09, 11, 21, 26, 30, 31.