FAIRY TAIL 338 to 340 – Fanservice, Fate & the Forthcoming Malevolence
Things wrapped up pretty quickly in the last few chapters, almost comically so. While some of that contributed to the sense of a world spinning out control, there were undeniably signs that the series was over-reaching as well – the coincidences, shortcuts and cop-outs were not exactly Fairy Tail’s best moments! But to Mashima sensei’s credit, I’m very glad the narrative pace has now been slackened considerably and he was able to tie up a surprising number of loose ends in a mere three chapters – that’s quite a feat, considering how many of those were left hanging in midair! As I’ve said in my first Fairy Tail post, the series is, first and foremost, a shounen story that is synonymous to pure happiness and the reconstruction of Fairy Tail Building is certainly a great way to close out the Grand Magic Game Arc. But that doesn’t mean everything is peaches-an-cream and as the curtain rings down for this story arc, Mashima sensei has also brought to pass a foundation for the incoming showdowns – starting with the re-emergence of Zeref and his declaration to bring chaos! The Black Wizard is unquestionably a fascinating package of contrast – modest and reasonable on one hand, but bitter and sadistic on the other! Zeref’s true intentions remained shrouded in enigma and his plan to end the cycle of hate through the proliferation of carnage and massacre is the very basics of a contradiction. I have a sneaking suspicion he’s as much of a victim as a villain himself and Mavis, who is apparently an old acquaintance of Zeref’s, probably knows more than she’s letting on. The past which those two shared – perhaps that of an old flame or an ex-colleague – lends itself to further exploration and I’m certain there’s more to their relationship than meets the eye – one that would, no doubt, pit Fairy Tail against Zeref in the ultimate confrontation!
To my great surprise, the collateral damage remained even after the destruction of the Eclipse Gate – in fact, everyone’s memories was kept intact and aside from the dragons’ departure, there were hardly any visible changes to anything at all! This revelation has critical consequences – after all, Gray’s death would have been permanent if Ultear hasn’t stepped in and such an outcome vindicates the valiant sacrifice that she made four chapters ago! It was certainly a relief to learn that Ultear is still alive and kicking, but the side effects of her forbidden spell, Arc of Time Last Aegis, has regrettably caught up to her – in the form of an accelerated senescence that turned her into an old woman! I’m not going to lie, I am sorely disappointed that we won’t get to see Ultear’s attractive self again – she was very easy on the eyes to say the least and the exquisite curve that she proudly flaunts is truly one of a kind! Who knows? Perhaps her proficiency in Transformation Magic could bring her younger appearance back, but all that is secondary for now – the important point is that Ultear is, indeed, alive and I suspect this will not be the last time we see her in action. What comes next is hard to tell – but there’s definitely a sense of convergence in the latest chapters, one that points to a closing stage for the big picture that is not too far away! Pointed out by none other than Cobra, Tataros – the last vertex of the Balam Alliance, has started to move and it’s certainly conceivable that their roles will be key to the next story arc – presumably as an independent antagonist or even an ally for Zeref!
- He stole that damn crown, you got that right! – Natsu’s such a boss, he’ll make a fine king one day.
- Lisanna’s jealous! Yukino has short silver hair and they’re both the imouto type – Does that mean Yukino’s not going to join Fairy Tail? Make up your mind already, Mashima sensei!
- “I’ve been upgraded to Juvia version 2.0” – I love Juvia in all her funky hairdo, but for my money, version 1.3 is still the best!
- Gray’s still a tsundere, stop being so mean to Juvia! – And here I was thinking he’d be nicer to her after that near-death experience!
- “Can you be my onee sama?” – A dressed-up Kagura is pretty adorable, but a dere dere Kaugura is even cuter. Erza’s embrace looks so comfortable, Kagura’s a lucky imouto, that’s for sure!
- What is Erza hiding in her cleavage? – It’s a Happy!
- “Droooool!!!” – Mavis wants some of that jello, too bad she’s a ghost!
- Did he just hoodwink the entire government? – Doranbolt would make a pretty good outlaw if and when he decides to quit the Magic Council!
- I wonder if Cobra will meet Kinana again – She seems pretty happy at Fairy Tail!
- Where did Minerva go? – Maybe she has teamed up with Tataros!
tl;dr: @SeishunRC – #FairyTail 338 to 340: Zeref & Mavis, old acquaintance? Ultear’s fate has been revealed! #Manga