Love Live! Sunshine!! – 08 »« Love Live! Sunshine!! – 06

Love Live! Sunshine!! – 07

「TOKYO」 (TOKYO)
“TOKYO”

Oh boy, things got pretty serious this week with the introduction of Aqours’ new rivals — Saint Snow.

Onward to Tokyo!

Before diving into some of the heavier (at least for a Love Live) stuff, let’s talk a little about the fantastic first half of the episode. With good feelings flowing throughout and lots of corny moments for all of our favorite characters, this episode served as a perfect break from the constant growth Aqours has been experiencing. Seeing how it’d be a little ridiculous to constantly watch our girls find success in everything (at least I’d think it’d be a little ridiculous) and just as ridiculous if they ran into some giant insurmountable obstacle, a small break in the pace is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Seriously, when was the last time we got to see Riko break that strict personality of hers and get drawn into one of her secret passions? And while I never would have assumed she’d be a giant sucker for romance / otome things, we all have things we get a little weak in the knees for, am I right?

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed what we saw of Aqours in Tokyo. While it would have been nice to get a surprise µ’s appearance, I’ll patiently keep waiting for it since there’s no way the show runners could have a Love Live spinoff without throwing at least a tiny bone to the audience, right?

Saint Snow

You know, even though A-Rise was the “group-to-beat” throughout all of the original show’s run, there was never a moment where I felt negative feelings toward them. Confident but never full of themselves, they viewed their opponents with respect and never underestimated them. I wish the same could be said about Saint Snow. With one less member but ten times the ego, their introduction left me feeling less than positive. Toss is their less than friendly greeting before going on stage and it wouldn’t be a stretch to say I wanted one of our girls to smack them in the face.

Playing devil’s advocate though, I guess one could say Saint Snow is here to show us that School Idol life is more than just sunshine and smiles. But even if that were the case, I still can’t appreciate the way they behaved. Hopefully they get some kind of redemption moment or somehow manage to fall completely flat on their faces.

Looking Ahead

With a big performance scheduled for next week, it looks like there’s a possibility we might get two new insert songs! However, based on the episode’s title it sounds like things aren’t going to go over all that well. Hopefully I’m wrong though and we get to see a bunch of Aqours doing cool Aqours things!

See you next week!

• Insert Song: No New Song This Week!
  • Current favorites no change! Still: Hanamaru, Ruby/You, Yoshiko, Chika, and Riko. The slashes just means I couldn’t pick between the two and they share the same spot. Let me know your favorites down in the comments! And it’s cool to change them later, I know mine might :’)
  • Hanamaru was so adorable again this week. God this show knows how to appeal to the Hanamaru fans.
  • KABEDON!

August 13, 2016 at 7:56 pm
  • August 13, 2016 at 8:19 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Considering the talk between Dia and Mari and now the introduction of Saint Snow, I have a feeling that Aqours may have a less-than-stellar introduction for one reason or another and thus having the group experience something similar to what presumably Dia, Kanan, and Mari experienced before, only to not give up and keep on going despite the setback which will probably be what draws the seniors back in and join the group for the last third of the series.

• August 13, 2016 at 10:02 pmTakaii

I hope it doesn’t end up being too less-than-stellar.

Tbh, I want Saint Snow to get a fucking tomato thrown at them.

• August 14, 2016 at 2:43 pmJohn Hayabusa

Finally, something interesting and original, plot-wise. I think the third years are the most yuri of the show and the entire LL. Though I feel bad for both Kanan and her seiyuu, seeing how this show are treating them. Riko seems to be a doujin fanatic. I wish she is more of a yuri fangirl and not just a “girl x brick wall” one. Got to say that I love the new rival group Saint Snow very much. They look like they came from Precure. I hope they have a third member.

• August 16, 2016 at 2:12 amTakaii

I hope the third years get more time too :(

While I don’t like Saint Snow, I would like Aqours to run into some hardship haha.
        Maybe they’ll grow on me though, maybe.

• August 16, 2016 at 6:03 pmc2710

You know, I’m not sure if I’m reading too much into it but St. Snow may represent the fandom that is bitchy towards Aqours and/or sees Aqours as unworthy. Of course this if based off first impressions

• August 13, 2016 at 9:01 pmNork22

Tokyo? No it’s AKIBA! The land of dreams!

I’m just amused that the girls gets easily distracted by the thing Akiba has to offer. I think I know where that uniform store You went to as well.

Also this is adorable:
    Zuramaru’s seiyuu doing what Zuramaru is doing.

• August 13, 2016 at 9:25 pmVelvet Scarlantina

Mirai zura~~~~~~

• August 13, 2016 at 10:01 pmTakaii

Zura~~~~

You’re doing the lords work providing us such beautiful pictures Nork22. I commend you.

• August 14, 2016 at 7:20 amzztop

Zura ja nai, Katsura da!!

• August 13, 2016 at 9:31 pmVelvet Scarlantina

Mari: Let me tell you about Darth Joke. A long time ago, she yearned to be a school idol. She did become one only to be betrayed by her members. Now, Darth Joke has willed that a new school idol will be formed to bring peace to Uranohoshi

Dia: You… You are the Sith Lord that we’ve been looking for!

——————

“Nozoyou reporting for duty!”

——————

Riko: “I need to expel these dirty feelings somehow!”

——————

You know… Throughout the whole episode, I was expecting Use to make a surprise cameo appearance

• August 13, 2016 at 10:34 pmArche

I think Saint Snow is a nice surprise compared to A-Rise. In season one all we got out of A-Rise was a snip of Private Wars then a cameo in the last episode. Then personality-wise SS turned out to be what I remember people speculating A-Rise would be like before they appeared in season 2. I’m worried for next episode because I will want to injure someone if they end up causing Aquors to lose face, but I’m also excited to see what kind of song they’ll bring out

• August 14, 2016 at 12:36 amTakaii

Mhm. I can get behind this.

• August 13, 2016 at 10:58 pmZhinvu

For a minute there I was hoping the inn Aqours was staying in what near Honoka’s shop. What I especially liked about this episode is how Dia show how great a big sister she is to Ruby. Less antagonistic and more supportive in a way. It was a little disappointing too Kanan wasn’t in today’s episode. It’s also great how Yoshiko accepts her chuuni side more. Was she really considering traveling to Tokyo with the make-up on though? And you can’t count out You’s interest in uniforms. Riko was also cute with her reactions, especially after seeing Ruby and Hanamaru’s outfits. That scene where Chika, Hanamaru, and Ruby were giggling at Yoshiko seriously needs a gif.

Also, someone pointed out an animation error in the scene where they were in front of UTX Academy. In one scene, Hanamaru was beside Ruby and when the Love Live commercial started, Riko and Hanamaru somehow switched positions.

• August 14, 2016 at 12:40 amTakaii

YOU’RE RIGHT! Holy cow.
      Pic 01
      Pic 02

• August 14, 2016 at 9:31 amIncognito

*dings the Sin Counter*

Man, that animation gaffe is about as sinful as not seeing an older Nozomi at the shrine… *ding*

• August 13, 2016 at 11:20 pmthechrischaos

muse in original series becomes 9 members in episode 8 but aquors are only 6 members in episode 7

• August 14, 2016 at 12:42 amTakaii

Aqours could make it by then — you never know!

• August 13, 2016 at 11:41 pmOne Pinch Man

I was hoping that older Nozomi would make a cameo at the shrine.

• August 14, 2016 at 12:42 amTakaii

It would have been AMAZING.

• August 14, 2016 at 12:43 amArche

But instead we got the announcer from the Halloween episode

• August 14, 2016 at 4:20 amSeorori

Well, it was a nice and a little frustrating episode, since I was unconsciously hoping that anyone in μ’s would show up.lol
    I’m also expecting that they won’t have a good concert too. I hope I was wrong as well.

• August 14, 2016 at 4:04 pmTakaii

We’ll see, we’ll see :’)

• August 14, 2016 at 8:55 amstarss

I get psyched whenever I see Muse merch in this show. :3 Such cute plushies!

• August 14, 2016 at 4:04 pmTakaii

Gotta love the Rin hiding in the corner.

• August 14, 2016 at 9:27 amIncognito

Yoshiko’s totally in “fallen angel” goth-loli heaven right here. XD Also, I almost expected fellow chuunibyous Ranko Kanzaki, Rikka Takanashi, Ruri Gokou and Kobato Hasegawa to show up as regular customers of that shop, hehe.

At least the stuff Riko is looking at is leagues better than Fifty Shades of Grey (both book and movie.)… Though I assume someone will photoshop Fifty Shades of Grey‘s book cover or film poster (or some other funny stuff) on that sign.

And Saint Snow is smug as f***. (Well, that half of the duo.)

• August 14, 2016 at 6:33 pmWraith

Saint Snow? more like Saint Smug! or Smug Snow, those girls aint no saints

• August 14, 2016 at 7:58 pmTakaii

-discreetly hands you $20-

• August 15, 2016 at 6:43 amBii

Throw a tiny bone? This show is a massive pile of them. It’s getting stupid, like lantis are insecure the fans won’t like the show unless they constantly tie it back to the first group

• August 16, 2016 at 2:11 amTakaii

I can understand why — I didn’t think I’d like this show at all since I was so butt hurt when I originally heard about Aqours.

Except I still give things a chance and lo and behold it’s actually pretty darn good.
      I’m sure a lot of people won’t even give it the time of day though :(

• August 15, 2016 at 6:11 pmhaitechan

The A-RISE girls were friendly rivals. They even lent the school rooftop to Muse. But this new girls don’t seem that friendly. Remind me of Jupiter from the Idolmaster first anime. And I’m glad they are taking that route, since things were going a bit too smoothly for them. Chika REALLY needs a reality check and judging from the next episode title something bad could happen.

• August 16, 2016 at 2:10 amTakaii

I don’t know if I can get friendly with the new A-RISE.

I wouldn’t mind if Chika ran into some trouble though — I agree things have been going a bit too smoothly haha.

• August 16, 2016 at 6:07 pmVelvet Scarlantina