Love Live! Sunshine!! S2 – 04 »« Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 2 – 02

Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 2 – 03

「虹」 (Niji)
“Rainbow”

It’s about time Aqours found a miracle.

General Impressions

Three episodes in and it finally feels like Sunshine has hit its stride. That said, I’m not sure if this is the kind of stride I was hoping for. Don’t get me wrong — I love how all the girls are getting more opportunities to strut their stuff. It’s been a blast seeing our first and third years get some true screen time and I’ll take whatever Hanamaru moments we can get. However, something that’s been really irking me is how the story has been using Chika. Devolved into a simple plot element to help pick up the girls when things start looking tough by going a little overboard with that derpy attitude of hers (I couldn’t think of a better word to describe the way she’s been behaving), it’s starting to drive me crazy.
Because if there was one thing that I loved about Sunshine, it was how surprised I was that I thoroughly enjoyed every single character. Unlike Muse where I genuinely didn’t like certain characters, I really appreciated that Sunshine’s story didn’t push any girl too far in one direction to the point that they became a “niche” character.

That said, while what happened irks me, I suppose you could chalk it up to growing pains. Seeing how the spotlight has to address an additional six girls, I guess it makes sense that the girls who already had ample time to shine would temporarily end up on the side or be stuck doing certain “memorable” things due to a lack of screen time. Actually, when I think about the stupid conflict between Kanan, Dia, and Mari last season I guess I really shouldn’t be complaining. God, my anger and disappointment would have been palatable if Sunshine tried to pull something like that on us again.

As a whole though, I think this third episode did a fantastic job at showcasing what we can expect from this second season. With the inner group conflicts for the most part solved, we’re getting the true Love Live story that I think we all wanted during the first season. A story that involved disappointment, lots of fun songs and dances, and the opportunity to watch all of our favorite girls do the things they love to do.

Anyways, I’ll catch you guys next week where we’ll hopefully get to see whether or not our girls made it past the preliminaries. See you then!

Full-length images: 30.

October 21, 2017 at 3:58 pm
  • October 21, 2017 at 4:51 pmZhinvu

One of the highlights for me was that short scene focusing on Ruby and Dia. Aside from a sudden focus on how stunning Dia looks in her costume (which really deserves a full length screencap), it was just so sweet how Dia calls Ruby her pride and joy. Their closeness is really summed up in this one picture. Not to mention Dia looking beautiful when she smiles:

And this is probably the third straight episode we see Chika in this jumping pose:

Overall, the comedy bits were great, especially the Yohane-Hanamaru scenes, and the new song is awesome. And don’t forget Mari’s Air Guitar moment.

• October 21, 2017 at 5:09 pmVelvet Scarlantina

You know I was expecting them to sing Happy Party Train in this scene and transit into the school festival.

Instead Sunrise gives us a cheap roller coaster ride.

Damn you Sunrise!

• October 21, 2017 at 9:13 pmAoihoshikage

Well, instead we got “Kimi no Kokoro wa Kagayaiteruka?”, the first Aquors PV as the ending dance. While “Happy Party Train” would sort of fit, there probably wasn’t enough time in the episode. Had they broken out singing “Happy Party Train,” I personally would have found too Disneyesque, if you get what I mean.

In fact, someone needs to put “Happy Party Train” music as BGM for the whole mikan train ride. Perfect Youtube parody video.

• October 23, 2017 at 12:51 amBakapooru

If they could perform at the school, maybe fifteen minutes later, their parents could’ve driven them back…

• October 21, 2017 at 9:10 pmfragb85

Ruby actually made the costumes! That means the writers FINALLY remembered the Ruby can sew. Guess it only took 16 episodes for her to actually contribute the the group somehow. So when will the writers remember the other details for the characters? Like Chika and Kanan are raised together and are surrogate siblings? You has aspirations to be a sailor? Hanamaru use to be part of a singing choir? Dia is well trained on traditional Japanese music? Come on writers! Start remembering!

I am rather impressed that Chika was somehow able to convince Aqours to do two lives in one day, especially when they have to run halfway up a mountain. Must have been tiring. Though I found it pointless that they tried to blindside us to thinking Aqours had split up. Its a rather unnecessary piece of drama.

• October 21, 2017 at 9:39 pmAoihoshikage

Funny, the writers somehow remembered Yoshiko’s unique rock, paper, scissors where Hanamaru helped straighten out for Yoshiko’s win. I’m enjoying Love Live Sunshine S2 so far, but I totally agree, the writers need to bring in more character details. μ sort of fleshed out character details in season 1 and just had a blast with everyone in season 2. Aquors I feel is a bit behind on bringing in character details.

• October 21, 2017 at 10:21 pmSK

The song for the qualifier (made by the 1st/3rd years) sounded like it incorporated elements of traditional Japanese music, particularly the instruments, so maybe that was a nod towards Dia’s background?

• October 21, 2017 at 10:27 pmsadamitsu0

Seems like many of the fanbase left after muse ended. Love live isn’t as popular anymore.

• October 21, 2017 at 10:51 pmcvsr

Come say that with a straight face after visiting Akihabara, which is totally not dominated by Sunshine everywhere right now…

• October 25, 2017 at 7:54 amsadamitsu0

That’s just marketing, it has nothing to do with fanbase. Just look at all the popular Anime forums and the comments are a lot less than S1 and LLSIF and i see it going lower and lower. Each episode comment page used to be 10-15 pages long, now some places barely have 1-2 pages.

• October 25, 2017 at 7:58 amsadamitsu0

For example, places like MAL, Reddit and Animesuki as example and you can clearly see the day 1-3 post drop drastically per episode discussions.

• October 27, 2017 at 8:45 pmNork22

Trying to prove a point by citing MAL, Reddit and Animesuki is dumb because it’s only a small part of the Western/English fandom. Japanese/Asian fans are still into Love Live, especially Aqours. Not to mention the Perfect Dream Project and the upcoming new mobile game featuring both μ’s and Aqours, are getting fans excited.

Plus nothing dis-proves the idea that Love Live is no longer popular when day time talk shows still talk about Love Live on Japanese national TV.

• October 29, 2017 at 1:16 pmsadamitsu0

Are you implying that LL is more popular than ever? I don’t think so. You would think it is because Sunshine has higher ratings than LLSIF and a bigger budget, but in reality the old fans of LL has already dropped out after S1 of Shunshine, including the games. I bet you they won’t be back for Kohaku this new years.

• October 21, 2017 at 11:27 pmArche

Hanamaru and Ruby knocked it out of the park this week. Every scene with these two cracked me up.

Looking forward to next week’s episode. I’m hoping this means a string of individual character episodes like OG S2 had to give some of Aqours much needed development

• October 22, 2017 at 1:47 amIncognito

Those cute smirks and snark from Ruby and Hanamaru… XD (Even Mari has a sweatdrop!)

And the scene after that… (“Armbars for everyone!”)

• October 22, 2017 at 1:46 amIncognito

I know it’s an imagine spot, but Dia in a crimson-red bikini? (And later on, wearing her new idol costume for real?)

(*cue Abridged!Alucard’s aroused laughter*)

I could go on to quote, “Houston, we have noooo problems”, but I guess a spot of nosebleeding is just as good a reaction as saying that. #DiaBestGirl (*promptly nosebleeds*)

Ah, the return of the Kotori-style photobomb…with a vengeance!

Chekhov’s monorail. (OK, so it’s more of a “Eureka!” moment from Chika, but still…)

Two performances within the short span of one day? Sheer determination, your name is Aqours.

Also, I can’t wait to see next week’s Dia-centric(?) episode…even though it feels similar to Eli’s situation upon joining μ’s in the original series. (Where the honorific usually attached to her makes her seem “distant” to her underclassmen in μ’s.)

• October 22, 2017 at 7:56 amRenasayers

When I first saw the scene where Chika was wearing aviator shades and in a ‘heli’ with her thumb up I immediately thought

“Danger Zone” Kenny Loggins

On a side note how do some of you posters insert screenshots? I couldn’t figure it out.

• October 23, 2017 at 3:28 pmSK

Copy and paste the link address of the screenshot into your post. The preview will only show a text link, but it will show up as an image once you submit it.

• October 24, 2017 at 2:37 pmRenasayers

Thank You so much!

• October 22, 2017 at 2:50 pmsithstormjedi

I really like the traditional style pop hybrid music used in the love live preliminary round. I’ve heard similar feeling sounds but i can’t find the genre of it. I know yosakoi has those kinds of music sometimes.

• October 23, 2017 at 12:49 amBakapooru

Yosakoi was the first thing that came to mind when I heard it. I can’t wait to buy the full song. I’ve been interested in yosakoi-type music since I first heard it. Very upbeat and energetic.

• October 22, 2017 at 5:00 pmSkarfang81

Dia’s outfit was so perfect this episode. Im not a Dia fan but she completely stole the show.

• October 23, 2017 at 3:33 amOnion Warrior

I just wanna talk about how orgasmic Dia’s voice was during the first performance, especially when she did her short solo. I mean, i really didnt expect that low sultry voice coming out from our seitokaicho Dia-sama. She has always been very hot and yamato-nandeshikoesque in a very subtle way, and ep3 has just raised the bar quite high this time. God Dia is so hot <3

And thank you LL for granting my wishes: finally a DIA KUROSAWA EPISODE.