Love Live! Sunshine!! S2 – 05 »« Love Live! Sunshine!! Season 2 – 03

Love Live! Sunshine!! S2 – 04

「ダイヤさんと呼ばないで」 (Daiya-san to Yobanaide)
“Don’t Call Me Dia-San”

I’ve never really liked Dia because it felt like she was being a prude for the sake of being a prude. After this week’s episode, I can truly say that I’ve come around and can now fondly watch Dia’s character with a smile on my face.

General Impressions

Which is probably why I was so happy to see that this Dia focused episode decided to tackle this problem head on. Instead of just leaving things be or having Dia turn into a completely different character just for her underclassmen to add -chan to her name, I absolutely loved how Dia didn’t change at all in the end. In a “it’s about the journey and not reaching the destination” type of way, it’s great to see that Dia found a renewed confidence in herself while also growing a bit closer to all of the other Aqours members. An overall victory that I think did wonders for her character moving forward since it’s no fun to be the serious one in a group, but you need at least one to keep everyone else on track.

Besides that, it was great to see that Sunshine in top form with all of its tongue and cheek moments. Between Dia constantly scratching her mole, a dolphin that understands comedic timing, and a sea lion that just wants to eat some fish, there were a ton of great moments that helped ease the mood as Dia went through her struggles.

Overall, a pretty damn good episode even though we didn’t really progress the story all that much. Anyways, I’ll catch you guys next week where it looks like Riko and Yohane are going to work through some issues. See you then!

October 30, 2017 at 10:38 pm
  • October 30, 2017 at 11:44 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

They need an adult! THEY NEED AN ADULT!!!

And there’s already a bunch of meme images involving Dia and the dolphin, lol.

• October 30, 2017 at 11:58 pmIncognito

Aww, she just wants to be called “Dia-chan“…

Well, this episode was a long time coming. Sure, a bit of her backstory was revealed in the first season along with her fellow third-years and most fans know how she dotes on her little sister Ruby, but I’ve been yearning to see a bit more of what Dia is like as an individual, her own inner struggles and such…which this episode definitely delivered.

And though I previously said that Dia’s situation is similar to Eli’s own day in the limelight episode in season 2 (which is poetic or contrived coincidence depending on your outlook, as Dia’s favorite µ’s member is apparently Eli), it’s good to see the rest of Aqours acknowledge that without Dia taking charge, things won’t get done.

Dia scratching her beauty mark: The new “Umi poker face”?

Also, no screencap of Dia’s smile at the end?! You’re kidding me, right?!

On a different note, despite being a Dia-centric episode, I couldn’t help but chuckle a bit at how second season Mari reminds me of The iDOLM@STER‘s Iori Minase. Both are rich daughters from well-off families, but decide to become self-made idol singers without help from their well-off families.

• October 31, 2017 at 2:10 amWorldwidedepp

In a “it’s about the journey and not reaching the destination” type of way,

Now you got me curious.. i think i need to watch this Episode.. But i watched Idolmaster only, and since them all “Idol groups” animes have nearly the same base. Seems like you found an little difference that get me curious

• October 31, 2017 at 3:11 amZhinvu

Dia really shone in this episode and it was funny seeing everyone’s reactions to Dia’s actions, especially You and Yoshiko’s when Dia said You-chan. Reactions like this:

and this…

Awesome moment when Dia managed to calm down those kids. Topped off by a short dance and smile.

I also liked what you said Takaii, about Dia not changing her personality but still being appreciated by everyone else for keeping them in check.

And then a few things I noticed:

Is Mari really strong or is that statue just made of light materials?

Dia wearing Yoshiko’s black feather

• October 31, 2017 at 3:27 amOnion Warrior

| After Dia’s rather rough introduction last season, I’ve always been a bit conflicted about her. If the excerpt to the post didn’t already make it clear, I was never fond how she kept up that “onee-san” type of behavior even after she became a permanent member of Aqours. Sure, you can say that as a character she may be a bit more serious than our other girls, but there was just something about the way she handled herself that just never rubbed me in quite the right way.

As one of Dia’s fans out there, i never see Dia in this context. If anything else, im more worried if the series tries to merge Nico and Eli’s personalities into Dia (lets see, these three are a onee-chan+massive fangirl+cranky+seitokaicho+taking charge). So im a bit curious why you thought of her that way Takaii.

• October 31, 2017 at 4:10 amWorldwidedepp

an other Manga and Anime used an other name for these comparing of you..

They called these “the pillars of the group”.. So they have the same meaning but perhaps it show them now on a better light, what “function” they fulfill

• October 31, 2017 at 4:19 amVelvet Scarlantina

I see the next generation of idols looking at Dia.

A definite meme-tastic episode.

• October 31, 2017 at 4:45 amWorldwidedepp

just an “culture” question:

Do the Kindergarten Adults here, really wear this kind of Apron even on an field trip? is this some kind of uniform for them?

I think here, they would just wear their private cloths for this kind of trip

• November 1, 2017 at 12:18 amSeorori

Worldwidedepp, Asian students wear uniforms for trips and stuff. It is probably their uniform.

• November 1, 2017 at 12:13 amSeorori

The short black hair kindergarten does look like Setsuna Yuuki from the third group PDP. Maybe she was inspired by Dia? :P

• October 31, 2017 at 7:16 amSvidrigailov

• November 1, 2017 at 4:03 pmRenasayers

Please no one hate me for saying this; I kind of liked Dia when she was a bit more uptight. Now I feel like she goes with the flow with all of Mari’s antics. Like in Episode two or three where the seniors and softmores had difference in musical tastes.

That beauty mark definitely makes Dia more appealing. This girl is meant to be a model and then as she progresses through this career she is meant to be a MGR for a modeling company then the professional experience will continue till she is rich.

• November 5, 2017 at 11:12 amJason

Dia being “a prude for the sake of being a prude” is exactly what makes her likable though. She’s a huge nerd but you wouldn’t know it from her attitude. It’s that contrast that makes her enduring and one of the reasons she’s my best girl.