Juuni Taisen – 08 »« Juuni Taisen – 06

Juuni Taisen – 07

「竜頭蛇尾(先攻)」 (Ryuutoudabi (Senkou))
“In Like a Dragon, Out Like a Snake (Part 1)”

As the title mentions, this and the next episode focus on Snake and Dragon respectively. The backstory we get of the twins is a little simplistic compared to the other combatants with the brothers being violent thieves who find themselves resigned to their fate as the next ones up for the Zodiac Wars. One’s calm and collected, and the other is erratic and quick to jump the gun.

But the biggest revelation in the episode was the circumstance behind Snake’s death. It wasn’t a shocker, considering that Usagi really did cut off Snake’s head before the tournament even started. It does, however, explain how Shuryuu was able to rig the floor to collapse so that she can split everybody up. Usagi wearing clothes before he got to the main lobby would beg to question why he wanted to strip when he met up with the rest of the combatants, but that might not be too much of an issue depending on who you ask.

In present day, we get small tidbits about the ramifications of Usagi’s necromantist powers. He’s disappointed about Uuma for some reason and Snake’s zombified self is putting up more of a fight than anyone would’ve bargained for. The only other zombies that were out are Niwatori’s birds, Shuryuu, and Ino, but Ino is the only one who was successfully taken out of commission via Niwatori’s sky burial technique. No one else has taken out a zombie without nearly removing it from existence just yet, so seeing how Ushii uses fire against Snake to escape his chokehold might be neat to see unfold.

Tora is starting to show a higher level of significance in the plot as she takes on Snake, and seemingly has a grudge against Ushii as she goes out of her way to return to Snake for the express purpose of challenging him. Tora’s fight reveals that she has an iron stomach since it’s possible for her to gulp down the fuel stored inside of the flamethrower tanks since Snake used an alcohol-based fuel for his weapon. For the most part, I’m looking forward to seeing if Ushii and Tora are able to remain cordial as they fight Snake, and aren’t going to try and swipe at one another as they try to eradicate the zombie brother.

November 15, 2017 at 12:23 pm
  • November 15, 2017 at 12:35 pmBROOKLYN otaku

Yes its anime, but i still dont like the way the zombie ran around for a bunch of episodes BURNING STUFF with only at best 25sec worth of fuel.

Zombie magic???

• November 15, 2017 at 1:08 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

*Cries at seeing zombie Misaki*

• November 15, 2017 at 10:08 pmGuile

I can write an explanation on how flamethrowers work but i don’t feel like it, so ill just say look up how they work and take into account two genius twins made them

• November 16, 2017 at 7:55 amSpacyRicochet

Also, magic.

• November 17, 2017 at 4:54 amSherrisLok

I looked it up on wikipedia.

The weapon is limited to only a few seconds of burn time since it uses fuel very quickly, requiring the operator to be precise and conservative.

Can you explain this?

• November 16, 2017 at 11:50 amChoya

My only idea is that maybe Snake can summon out more fire than the fuel if his power is to make fire amplify more than the fuel given. He seemed to have an obsession with fire in the past as well, so I assume that’s supposed to be where his powers lie. If that’s not the case, then action movie logic can only explain how his fuel barely ran out even after using it so heavily.

• November 16, 2017 at 12:37 pmHalfDemonInuyasha

Would’ve made a lot more sense if it was “Dragon” using the flamethrower, lol.

• November 16, 2017 at 6:57 pmhaseo0408

I think Snake´s powers are some sort sonar or radar, he can identify objects or people using the ability, that´s why a headless corpse was able to chase around Rat and noticing Horse was in the bank vault.

• November 18, 2017 at 7:28 amNicro

Well, considering they had a working space station that seemed pretty good and everything, also magic exists, we can give a slight buff to their technology and materials.

So if he has a REALLY strong canister made of REALLY strong materials. He’d be able to store more fuel in there by ultra compressing it.

disclaimer. no idea how flamethrowers work though.

• November 15, 2017 at 3:57 pmSouma

Snake? Snake?! Snakeeeee?!!!!!

• November 15, 2017 at 9:17 pmRedjuice Fan

So is this show worth a watch? I am only watching Houseki no Kuni currently. Yuuki Yuuna I have been wanting to watch but havent started.

• November 16, 2017 at 8:31 amAki-Chan

I would say that yes, this is definitely worth the watch.

• November 16, 2017 at 12:50 pmChoya

It’s fun if you like action shows and tournament anime like the Fate series. It’s also based on a story from the Monogatari/Katanagatari author, so that might also aid in your enjoyment of Juuni Taisen.

Haven’t started on the Yuuki Yuuna series, but I’m halfway caught up on Mahoutsukai no Yome, which I’m enjoying alot along with the catch-up I’m doing on 3-gatsu.

• November 18, 2017 at 5:16 pmRedjuice Fan

i see. Thanks. Maybe I’ll start watching it.

I read the Mahoutsukai no Yome manga. doesn’t really make me wanting for more but I like the art. I seriously recommend Houseki no Kuni. It is not getting the attention it deserves.

• November 15, 2017 at 10:12 pmJohn

“I’m looking forward to seeing if Ushii and Tora are able to remain cordial as they fight Snake”
    Tiger is dead, if she won’t burn to death she will suffocate because she drank alcoholic fuel that is burning down her throat, lmao

• November 16, 2017 at 8:58 amAki-Chan

Usagi being clothed before this all started is definitely the main WTH moment of this episode for me (this isn’t even mentioned in the novel). But because it’s Usagi of all people I doubt we’d ever get an answer anyway so in that sense I guess it doesn’t matter. Though, I wonder, would it have been weirder or less weird if he’d just been in stripper mode the entire time??

Also, random side note: Show Spoiler ▼