K-ON! – 07 »« K-ON! – 05

K-ON! – 06

Mouse over screenshots for captions

Summary
W-wait, first live already? Oh man, these huge time gaps between episodes getting me more confused than time warps and alternate realities in Star Trek. Speaking of Star Trek, I saw it on Friday and it was pretty sweet. Those that would be quick to point out that my two hours spent in the theater would have been better spent writing up this post would do well to realize that since cell phones aren’t allowed in theaters, laptops with ultra bright LED panels probably wouldn’t be as well.

So the school festival is finally already here – and all the girls are busy with their duties to their class, except for Mio, who is either a pro at sneaking out, or her class isn’t doing anything. The former seems less likely considering her good-girl image, but one would have to wonder what Mio’s class is actually doing that would not require her presence or attention. Perhaps they’re putting on a pro-wrestling show and she was the one on call to treat any actual injuries that may result. At any rate, Mio tries to round up the other three to get some last minute practice in before their big event later in the day.

No such luck. Yui is serving some poorly made yakisoba with all the water you can drink, Ritsu is undercutting Zange-chan, and Mugi is… well, playing dead. Eventually Mio’s dedication gets everyone to show up at the clubroom, but then sensei shows up with some homemade cosplay outfits, much to my delight. Well, they don’t really get much practice in, instead opting to spend that time allowing Ritsu to prance around talking stupid. There’s some moments in this show that make me cringe.

Skip ahead and they’re on stage – after a little shiver session from Mio they start playing, as the video cuts to some pseudo-music video of the girls in the wild west wearing go-go spacegirl type outfits and being chased by big men with helicopters. Yui almost flips them off, much to my eager anticipation and eventual aww disappointment.

A rousing applause concludes their performance, followed by Mio tripping over the amp cable and exposing her white and periwinkle colored pantsu to the world. Just when her childhood trauma was about to be put behind her, her behind brought forth her new adolescent trauma, as I eagerly await the widescreen version.

Up next on K-ON!: Christmas comes early for K-ON! fans

Thoughts
That was quick. Maybe they really will make it to Budokan by the end of the show.

Couple things stood out in this episode:

- Yui’s voice, or lack thereof – pretty hilarious, and big props to her voice actress for not only being able to talk in that half hoarse still moe voice the whole episode, but being able to sing it as well. Makes me wonder why can’t Mugi or Ritsu take the job of backup vocals.
- I should point out that one of my favorite songs now is the B-track on K-ON!’s ED single, called ‘Sweet Bitter Beauty Song’. The lead singer is Mio’s seiyuu, and I think it’s much better than the ED itself, which is also sung by Mio. She’s got quite an appealing voice and hits her notes very well, and shes got that extra bit of attitude in her voice that doesn’t come through in the actual show yet – maybe it’s something she picks up by the end of the show when they do another one of these performances.
- Which brings me back to an earlier question: what’s left in the show? They’ve done their big live performance, now all that’s left is for them to transcend into a closed space and start kissing each other to get rid of the big monsters?
- There was something extremely appealing about Yui in that school swimsuit. I can’t quite put my finger on it, which is a damn shame, because I bet she feels real puni puni all over.
- The music video was pretty cool in that it had that western grungy saturated filter feel to it, and at the same time the girls were outfitted in some space-age garb with cosmic hair that looked like it came out of Code Geass. It was odd, however, that not much of the actual performance was shown. Perhaps they are saving it for some super-animated scene at the end?
- What’s up with bands with two lead singers? In BECK that Chiba guy was the lead until the pussy guy showed up (his name Yuki?), but even then Chiba still had his songs. Seems like that’s what will happen with the K-ON! band. Which brings up another point – what is their band name? K-ON can’t be it, that’s just an abbreviation of the club name. Any guesses?
- The “rice bowl” was probably the classiest thing they could have done, and fit very well with the spirit of the show. Very impressive, though I must say, that is quite an odd pattern for a rice bowl. Business opportunity: slap a Mio logo to the bottom of a bowl like that and sell them for 2000 yen each.
- Where can I sign up to join Mio’s fan club?

edit: uhh dunno how i forgot enoz had a bass player. late night lol

May 10, 2009 at 2:37 am
  • May 10, 2009 at 2:42 amkriz

cagayake girls… i so have a funny feeling that might be the name

• May 10, 2009 at 2:42 amKyuusei

Mio Shimapan FTW! Here’s to hoping the widescreen is more revealing!

• May 10, 2009 at 2:42 amxcswmboy

i want a rice bowl like that ^^

• May 10, 2009 at 2:44 amGundam 00

Good episode FIRST POST XD

• May 10, 2009 at 2:45 amGundam 00

NOOOOOO NOT FIRST POST!!!!
    The song was pretty good

• May 10, 2009 at 2:54 amcking543

i was wondering, am i the only one that thinks the animation looks somewhat like Kannagi? i had a ridiculous argument with some friends saying that the 2 animes are NOTHING alike. (also tried pointing out that Maria Holic/Zetsubou Sensei were similar imo)

• May 10, 2009 at 2:55 amDuran

That wasn’t their big goal, but a minor one; or am I the only one who bothers to watch the fine details of the who and not just staring at Mio?

Their big goal is to perform at Budokai (a big music place) by graduation.

• May 10, 2009 at 2:58 amjaalin

cking: kannagi was directed by the guy who directed the first four eps of lucky star, which was done by the same studio that did k-on

maria holic and zetsubou are from the same guy – so yea, you are quite perceptive and your friends are newbs and should rightly be told so

there’s likely more specifics that you can look up at animenewsnetwork.com or some of the other readers here can recite to you off the top of their overly informed heads.

• May 10, 2009 at 3:01 am7updnL

omgggggggg

• May 10, 2009 at 3:06 amZange

Pantsu, HOO HAH YEAH!

• May 10, 2009 at 3:12 amRaso

if ya look at the manga her pantsu are stripped and the exact same color as the rice bowl…. :)

• May 10, 2009 at 3:17 amexiledpika

• May 10, 2009 at 3:18 amRaso

• May 10, 2009 at 3:18 amexiledpika

• May 10, 2009 at 3:20 amrakkynon

itadakimasu!

• May 10, 2009 at 3:32 amYyi

I was kinda impressed with their debut performance song. Was hoping that it would be average so they’ll put more effort next time (after seeing them waste away majority of their training trip at the beach). But dam, that was good…not EZON ‘good’, but still much better than what I expected.

Side note: Yui is definitely the guitar genius.

• May 10, 2009 at 3:44 amithekro

Two lead singers? Hmmmm. The Beatles perhaps? John and Paul tended to switch off who was singing lead in the songs. Though they would stay consistent on who was singing which song. Then sometimes you get a song by George (usually one per album) and even more rare a song sung by Ringo.

• May 10, 2009 at 3:55 amKaineng

haha maybe selling those ‘bowls with stripes’ would hab some business…

anyways, the post here was late leh, and looking 4ward to budokan. their band name? well according to many sources of the theme songs, they are somehow called ‘sakurakou k-on bu’ leh…

my anticipation is trying to kill moe, but still impossible…

• May 10, 2009 at 4:09 amteutates

mio and ritsu are in de same class :)

“our class can enter for free”

Says ritsu to mio when she is looking for mugi

• May 10, 2009 at 4:13 amSnooSnoo

ENOZ had a bass member….

• May 10, 2009 at 4:27 ambaka~

you can hear ritsu’s voice in the ED don’t say lazy but only faint compared with yui and mio’s.

im really betting that having the fans hear the “fuwa fuwa time” accompanied by yui’s crap voice is a marketing strategy to drive fans mad into buying the song release early… resulting in another oricon domination and probably a run for miku hatsune and megurine luca’s throne at nico charts… that or they’re simply consistent in what they do which isn’t a bad thing.

btw, what’s your comment on mio when she said “now i’ll never be married” after having her panties exposed ;p

• May 10, 2009 at 4:29 amphish

best ep of the season so far! most side splitting part for me was when the sensei took out her old outfit with the mask. I definitely hope they play in Budokan! and hope the anime actually shows the playing instead of ending when they start =X something that i foresee album sellers pushing for.

anyw about Mio I think she’s in the same class as Ritsu and Mugi. Ritsu said something about not charging her for entrance into the haunted house cos she’s from the same class.

p.s. chibi Mio FTW! funny how they have the same haircut all the way from elementary sch.

• May 10, 2009 at 4:54 amzerofinal

wow loli mio

• May 10, 2009 at 4:55 amRaso

@baka Mio really isn’t a tsundere really she is just short tempered with 1 person who messes with her (most of the time Ritsu is deserving it too), she is really nice to everyone else. Show Spoiler ▼

• May 10, 2009 at 5:01 amoutcast

I didn’t like the show they gave, too bad the animation studio couldn’t make the “real” show interesting enough and decided for some videoclip story. I’d rather see the girls trying their bestest on stage.

• May 10, 2009 at 5:06 ampakxenon

FIRST OF ALL I will post a video of me playing the OP FULL VERSION with ALL INSTRUMENTS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3CtdDiqRQ

Second, two lead singers? Quite a few bands, namely one of my favourites: blink 182. FLOW and The Blood Brothers (defunct) also had two lead singers. The Blood Brothers are tight and awesome; I recommend them.

• May 10, 2009 at 6:24 amMugi-sistable

The manga has more fanservice than the show. Mio Sutoraipu.

Anyways, now mugi=mio > ui=sawaka > ritsu=yui >>>>> the guitar shop guy

gonna grab any k-on figmas or figurines when they do get released, especially mugi

• May 10, 2009 at 6:51 amanimekritik

i think the whole point of not doing the concert is to work us up until the real concert episode at the end!! still, i’d much rather have seen them doing kinda so-so in this performance and then improving loads in a concert on the last episode..

• May 10, 2009 at 7:29 amDal

actually.. ENOZ wasn’t lacking a bassist. she was good, but Mio’s better!

• May 10, 2009 at 8:42 amRin

I am lead to believe that the group name of the OP/ED (桜高軽音部, Sakurakou K-ON Bu) is the same one that’s used as their band name in the series. Not 100% sure though.

• May 10, 2009 at 9:07 amAndri

Mio is so cute, i just wanna hold her tight and never let go

• May 10, 2009 at 9:07 amtokugawa

Koyuki was his name. The BECK main character. And he only started out as a pussy, the fact that he isn’t a pussy anymore at the end actually makes him all the way less pussy than most other main characters (self-change and overcoming oneself is the least pussy-esque thing that someone can do).

• May 10, 2009 at 9:51 ammasamune111

Was easily impressed by the song. Really psyched for more of this show.

• May 10, 2009 at 10:14 ambloodread

@Rasu

I agree with you, Mio isn’t the tsundere type in the current group… ^^

OMG!!!… Stripes!!!… lol
    As for the song, it’s really cute…

MIO FOR-E-VAH!!!… I’ll be joining that Mio-Fanclub if ever possible… XD

• May 10, 2009 at 10:23 amalliecat

CAPTIONS! finally got off you r lazy ass huh jaalin? haha they’re great keep it up!

• May 10, 2009 at 10:31 amwhitey-chan

don’t worry Mio-chan, I WILL MARRY YOU!!! XD

• May 10, 2009 at 10:38 amsarcastic_weasel

If you read on far enough in the manga, they finally have to come up with a name:

• May 10, 2009 at 10:42 amYue

Mio-chan is a left-hander, she switched her chopsticks to right hand imediately when Ritsu tease her lol XD

• May 10, 2009 at 11:08 amPeanutbutter003

Need widescreen! Indeed.

• May 10, 2009 at 11:19 amstarss

About TIME!

• May 10, 2009 at 11:56 amSamurai Pumpkin

Great show. Good fun and loving it.

• May 10, 2009 at 12:36 pmoutcast

• May 10, 2009 at 1:03 pmKarisu

If by “space age” you mean “60′s” then sure.

• May 10, 2009 at 1:07 pmMaximilian

About the episode, yeah I also think it’s repeating too much of Mio’s moe modes.

And as for the new member, she will probably come in episode 9, since the title for episode 9 is “Newly-entered member” ( and no, it’s not episode 8, which is “New member”)

• May 10, 2009 at 5:08 pmbrianleung8912

didnt find this episode that funny.. infact the only bit that remotely got me close to a single giggle was the odd camera click when mio falls over.. still enjoyed it tho :D

• May 10, 2009 at 7:03 pmdaisies

you guys r perves if your looking for hentai your watching the wrong show…. Just my opinion and no I am not a prude……..anyways I loved this episode!

• May 10, 2009 at 7:06 pmyups

the guy from BECK is Yukio. Get his name right or look it up before blogging it.

• May 10, 2009 at 10:35 pmfragbet

Writers: Oh noes! Mio is maturing and getting character development! We can’t have that! Press the reset button!

Stupid status quo >_>

Still overall I liked the episode since it actually focuses on the music. And the rice bowl joke was pretty clever.

• May 10, 2009 at 10:48 pmCHIBI

K-OOOOON!!!!!!!!

• May 10, 2009 at 11:26 pmcalde

The band has no name at this moment but eventually it will have one.

Episode 8′s title should be Welcome freshmen meeting or something like that. It should be next April(Did anybody talk about time leap already?) when a school year starts in Japan. And in the next episode they will have the 5th member, a freshman, naturally.

• May 11, 2009 at 12:58 amquint

Really there are only 2 words for http://randomc.net/image/K-ON/K-ON%20-%2006%20-%20Large%2037.jpg

Nice Bowl

• May 11, 2009 at 2:14 ammegalith

Agreed to Sweet Bitter Beauty Song. Should have been the ED. It’s more catchier than the ED. Meanwhile the ED’s short version was cool, but the full version felt lacking.. Repetitive I guess.

• May 11, 2009 at 3:14 amFX102

That camera flash at the end was just the absolute icing on the cake.

• May 11, 2009 at 5:39 amLQY

Nice Bowl!

• May 11, 2009 at 7:07 amclicking thing

hey guys what is the name of that device they use in the eps 2 to count the number of cars that pass by, the clicking thing. I noticed that used this in Beck as well, to measure the number of people coming to see the rock band concerts. Is there a name for this device? Please tell me, the curiosity is killing me lol

• May 11, 2009 at 10:24 amjho

k-on ftw!

• May 11, 2009 at 3:17 pmAkiyama

Koyuki is the “Pussy” lead singer for Mongolian Chop Squad/BECK.

Anyway, I like the dual lead singers in Yui/Mio. Both have their qualities.

• May 11, 2009 at 4:33 pmfuzzysnowpuffs

I feel like I’m the only one who likes Yui more than Mio :’ (

• May 11, 2009 at 6:40 pmSeinime

I always thought that Sweet Bitter Beauty Song was a nice song. Glad to see some agreement, since I always get the disagreement end of the stick. Catchy; should’ve really been the ED!

• May 12, 2009 at 1:24 amlastSKYsamurai

I like the episode, but not as much as I had hoped after getting pumped up watching 4 & 5, I really like the into song now, I’ve warmed up to it.

• May 12, 2009 at 11:40 amLQY

I love this episode, too.

However, waiting it is like hell!

• May 13, 2009 at 4:00 amShannon

yoroshiku… wish?

whats everyones deal with Mio?