At a bonfire celebration, Hohenheim drinks with a young Pinako, and the two talk about the strife in their country and about human transmutation in regard to Ed and Al. When Pinako goes off to play with the children, Hohenheim sees another version of himself saying that humans are weak but are their valuable resources. Hohenheim recounts how he’s seen humans repeat the same errors over and over, and he agrees that humans are fragile. Unlike the Homunculus, humans don’t have the strongest weapons or shields, and they get caught up in trivial things. He feels that they can’t do anything against the Homunculus, but Pinako points out that they don’t give up and that trying is better than knowing and doing nothing. The other version of himself then appears though and claims that it’d still be wasted effort and that no one accepts him. He also claims that doing something wouldn’t change anything in reality or in the weakness of humans, and as Hohenheim tries to grapple with this, young Trisha suddenly appears and asserts that things can change. She acknowledges that humans are weak but feels that this is the reason they try hard to become strong. Trisha finishes by suggesting that, if he feels lost, then all he needs to do is to remember the time he spent in Resembool. Hohenheim wakes up shortly thereafter from what he realizes was a dream.
I love a lot of Sukima Switch’s songs, but this one took a little getting used to, particularly as the OP of an action series like FMA. It’s hard for me to describe, but the beat felt a little too funky. The new ending song I liked (and got stuck in my head) immediately though, a lot better than the song Lil’B did for Bleach. As for the animations that went with it, the OP appeared to be filled with spoilers, including the fact that Ling will be joining the Homunculus side. The ending, on the other hand, was double nice because it focused on Winry and the girls.
Much to my surprise, this episode turned out to about 80% recap, framed around the other 20% which was the dream Hohenheim had. The non-recap parts about the worthiness of humans and Hohenheim’s own doubts were actually pretty good, especially with the way it ended with Trisha, but that still leaves most of the episode as material already covered. Speaking of which, the end of it actually confused me because they started playing LET IT OUT and made me think that there wouldn’t be a new ending song, but that turned out to be just an insert song, and as you can see above, there was indeed a new ED. Come to think of it though, I would have thought that they’d save the new OP/ED for a non-recap episode, especially given all the spoilers. In any case, I’d say the episode was still worth a watch, but you probably want to fast forward through all the recap parts if you can.
Of course, because of the recap, the preview ends up being the most exciting, and it looks like big things will be happening with Father and Ling next week.