「はい、アンコールありがとうございます」 (Hai, Ankōru Arigatō Gozaimasu)
“Yes, Thank You for the Encore”
Isn’t it weird what changes a few days will bring? Just a the other day I was talking about how I was itching for some plot, and then this OVA comes around with nothing of the sort, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Of course, that’s an unfair comparison to make, because – release dates aside – this is an OVA and takes place before the rest of Season 2, so there’s no way we could reasonably expect any plot. Which is fine by me, because we can set aside the plot one more time (hopefully!) and enjoy the silly fun. And enjoy it I did!
Let’s get something out of the way first. This is the swimsuit episode, so whatever I write here is largely unimportant. Please stop, scroll to the top of the page, and click on all the pictures of beautiful girls in swimsuits. I think we can all agree that’s the most important thing, right? But shameless fanservice aside, I really enjoyed the message of the first half of this episode. After spending so much time writing about other shows where any female friendship is ruthlessly shipped as yuri (which I am certainly guilty of!), I liked seeing a fledgling friendship with none of that. Haruna’s desire to be Yuu’s friend was really sweet, as were the attempts by the rest of the cast to keep Ayumu from accidentally interfering. That, plus I could always do with more blushing Haruna.
As for the second half of the episode, it was quite enjoyable as well. This is “filler” at its best, because while it doesn’t advance the plot, it does give us further insight into the characters and makes us care for them more deeply. Seeing our resident ageless necromancer worry about whether she should have been born due to the overwhelming power with which she is cursed…wow. I can see why Ayumu gets all brotherly around her, because things like that make me want to hug her and protect her from the world as well.
I could go on, but since the plot was light and most of the fun was in smaller things, I’m going to slack off and shove the rest in the Random Thoughts section below. Go check those out, and look forward to more korezon next week!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Thigh highs + school swimsuit + cat ears + tail + twintails = #korezon 00 OVA. *dies from fanservice-related blood loss*
- I enjoyed Anderson-kun’s random english. It reminded me of TK. Always a good thing.
- Swimming in thigh highs, school swimsuit, twintails, cat ears and tail, and armor? Marry me, Yuu. Marry me right now!
- Whatcha looking at there, Yukinori?
- Anyone else get Shinji Ikari flashbacks when Ayumu was trying to resist siren call of Taeko? Luckily, he didn’t listen to himself. Totally worth getting shriveled up in the sun, Ayumu. Totally. Worth it.
- Speaking of which, I have to admit to a shameless Yukinori and Taeko bias in the screen shot selection. They’re just too cute not to feature whenever humanly possible.
- Haruna was really acting like a playful little kitten throughout the first half of the episode…though really, she’s always like that. I guess I just noticed it more.
- Yes, this is definitely pre-season 2, because Saras wasn’t all frighteningly deredere for Ayumu yet. I miss that already.
- Ayumu. He…has…AWAKENED!!
- Way to go, Orito. Haruna asks a perfectly innocent question, and you immediately suggest nopan. Clearly, you’re a giant among men. I’ll make sure your funeral is as tasteful as you are.
- Oh Yuu, you troll you…Yuu! I guess she wants a sexy body as well. Don’t worry Yuu, you’re already there :3
- Yuu is an insomniac’s wet dream. One quick phrase and you’re out like a light. Now if we could only figure out how to bottle that, we’d make a fortune.