「ちゃうねん、勝てててん」 (Chaunen, Kateteten)
“Hell No, I Shoulda Won”
Plot plot plot! Okay, sort of. We’re getting some tastes of plot, and stronger ones at that, but there was still a healthy amount of faffing about in this episode. I’m fine with it though, because we got just enough plot to make it look like the story is going to move along, and most of the silly stuff was either slightly plot-like, or fell under the umbrella of “character development.” These centered around three ladies – Taeko, Yukinori, and Yousei-san.Ohandalso, the episode was funny, so there’s that!
First up, Taeko. Taeko is emblematic of how Ayumu’s life has actually been going pretty well. Despite everyone thinking he’s a crossdressing pervert (so judgemental, these Japanese youths!), Taeko rightly noted that he has become more assertive than he used to be. Somehow, he actually got a bit of character development during his whole ordeal…which is why I was sad when he just wished it all away. Come on man, they were all fine with it, and you were a celebrity! Just roll with it. Fortunately, Gaia wouldn’t let that one stand. You will never escaping the crossdressing, Ayumu!
Still, the best part about Taeko in this episode was definitely the atomic-grade levels of cuteness she was dishing out. Never before has a huge creepy worm thing been part of such a cute picture. Oh, and yes Ayumu, she still thinks that your legs are pretty. Deal with it.
Next is Yukinori. This was definitely one of the most contrived ways I’ve seen to get a male character to slap a ring on a girl, but I’m not going to lie, I didn’t mind. That’s my biased shipper brain talking though, becuse I was squealing in delight like a 12-year-old schoolgirl in a Leonardo DiCaprio movie (do women still like him? I don’t know these things), but give me this one thing! Seeing her laughing giddily about the ring was almost too cute to handle. This one was more plot than character development (that was what the Taeko bits were about), but we still got a little of that here, with her showing just how devoted she is to Ayumu. Wonderful.
Finally, there’s Yousei-san. Actually, it wasn’t just her, but Dai-sensei and Haruna that helped with the most ploty parts of this episode. Yousei-san’s random serious speech in the middle of the episode was intriguing to say the least, as it abruptly yanked me out of drawing comparisons to Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko (I wonder if Ayumu keeps track of seishun points too…) and demanded that I pay attention. She sounded so jaded, like she had some post traumatic stress syndrome thing going on.
Of course, Dai-sensei’s restoration of Mystletainn is what got everything really moving again, and brought the megalo back to town…perhaps. At this point, I have no idea why Haruna’s head started hurting after the battle, nor why Yousei-san looked on impassively, but the latter definitely had some menace to it. I’m not sure I quite think she’s an antagonist…but, well, hopefully we’ll see soon!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – This ep had Taeko blushing, Yukinori w/ a ring, Dai-sensei bathing, & bunny girl Yuu & Sera. WOO!! Also, Ayumu probably did stuff #korezon
- I have no idea who this guy is, but he spews more blood than a gender-swapped pervert trapped in a girls locker room.
- I love B couples, so it’s no surprise I’m all for Orito x Mihara. The tall ones are awesome, Orito. Go for it! Also, him just having to check whether she was going nobra – and her answering him honestly after only a little tsun – was very telling. D’awww!
- “Where do you think you’re looking?” she says. Where do you think he’s looking? At your Big (Enough) Bangs, Hur hur hur.
- Apparently, Haruna and Yukinori are bad at anything musical. I might have thought it was too abrupt the first time they used this joke, but now we’ve got a proper brick joke going, and I definitely laughed. Also, it led to this scene, so WOOO!
- I continue to enjoy Anderson-kun’s randomly good english, and Mystletainn’s “I’ll be back!” A Terminator reference, in anime? What’s next, an anime with Men In Black? Oh shi-!
Stilts note: I’m going to be out of town for two weeks on business, starting tomorrow . This should have no effect on my posting schedule…though the key word there is “should.” Just know that delays are more of a possibility than normal, and if there aren’t any, then I am even more of a badass than we all thought. And modest, and handsome, etcetera etcetera. I think we’ve been over this before.