OP: 「Sparkling Daydream」by ZAQ
「邂逅の…邪王真眼」 (Kaikou no … Ja Ou Makoto Me)
“An Unforseen Encounter…the Tyrant’s Eye of Truth”
Have you ever waved your hand at an automatic door (a train, an elevator, a grocery store front door) and been secretly delighted when it opened on cue? Don’t lie; I know you have. I can’t imagine a person who enjoys anime who hasn’t done something like that at least once in their life, and possibly still does to this day. That’s the essence of “chuunibyou,” or “middle school second year syndrome,” that time in a young middle-schooler’s life when imagination bleeds over into reality and their not-so-subtle fantasies are acted out in real life with ridiculous flair. This is a story about a bunch of first year high-schoolers, one of whom still suffers from the dreaded syndrome while another tries to put it behind him. Where’s the fun in that?
All over, as it turns out! If I had to pick only one word to summarize this episode, it would be adorable. As soon as Takanashi Rikka (Uchida Maaya) stepped onto the stage, her innocent delusions were a treat to behold. Chock this up to KyoAni if you like – the art is certainly top-notch, and the little movements of all the characters really brought them to life, especially Rikka – but it’s also a matter of simple chemistry. Rikka would be nothing without our beleaguered protagonist Togashi Yuuta (Fukuyama Jun), as it’s in their interactions – and most notably, Yuuta’s reactions to her delusions – that made me smile and giggle like a second year middle school student being terrorized by a 4th Level Tickle Master! But wait, if I don’t thwart the Dread One with my dreaded Onii-chan’s Dark Sword of Soul Shattering Darkness, the world will be swallowed up by the evil forces of the nega-world! If only I had my trusted–!
Ahem. Anyway, plot-wise this was purely a setup episode, so not much to comment on there. They did firmly establish the two main character’s personalities though, principally that of Yuuta. His desire to have a normal life with normal friends was actually quite adorable as well, to tell the truth. Yet I think it was the last moment of the episode that really endeared him to me, when he, while still being tsundere about it, moved all his old chuunibyou artifacts back into his room so that he didn’t makethea cut girl beside him cry. Rather than tell us he’s a good guy, that showed it, and I got the message loud in clear.
That said, Yuuta did more than that well. There are two things about him that I love already, and they’re things that most male leads lack – he’s not a dense idiot who can’t read the mood, and he’s not afraid to use a strong tsukkomi, even when the boke he’s smacking is a girl. What? I get tired of seeing only guys get megaton punched all the time! I say that if a girl is the one acting ridiculous, go ahead and bonk her upside the head…and especially if she looks this adorable afterwards. Though really, I don’t know why all those other main character put up with it. If it were me, I would just raise my impenetrable Onii-chan’s Barrier of Unstoppable Dark Demon Decimationizing to ward off their fiery blows, and then follow up with my patented, my legendary–!
…erh, where was I? Right, so all in all this was a supremely enjoyable first episode. The main characters were swiftly established, their chemistry is great already, the atmosphere and pacing are both well done, and above all, I had a good time every minute I was watching. Good comedy with love in the air…did I mention that? My rabu-rabu meter is already ringing off the charts, and I can’t wait for Yuuta to totally give in and fall for the strange girl he met repelling onto his balcony. That’s got to be some Romeo and Juliet stuff right there…only, you know, more adorable :3 Hang on, Yuuta! I have a feeling this is going to be a fun ride.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – A story of a boy who wants to forget his past & a girl whose imagination gets away from her…& leads straight to love. Adorable! #chu2koi
- I was warned ahead of time that the OP is a bit seizure inducing (okay, it doesn’t show when it’s a still but shut up), and yeah, perhaps that wasn’t the best move. I did enjoy the song though, and will be looking forward to the single. Same with the ED…that was more of a standard anime song affair, but still quite enjoyable. Note: see the Announcements to the side for why there are no videos.
- So I’ve decided to call Rikka’s eye the Tyrant’s Eye of Truth. Why? Because I think it sounds the coolest. Yay for having no credibility!
- The first time I heard Rikka say “kyoukai senjou” I literally did a double take. I thought I just finished covering that! Orz
- A free drink? So powerful. So adorable!
- Quick note on Yuuta’s family: also adorable. Loved his reliable dekai imouto Kuzuha (Fukuhara Kaori), his super cute chichai imouto Yumeha (Shitara Mami), and quite honestly, his okaa-san (Amano Yuri) was cute as well! You’re a lucky, lucky man, Yuuta…may I punch you?
- Dark Flame Master, heh. You know, I think I’m really going to enjoy this season… >:3
ED: 「INSIDE IDENTITY」 by 真礼内田, 千夏赤﨑, 杏美浅倉, すみれ上坂 (Uchida Maaya, Akasaki Chinatsu, Asakura Azumi, and Uesaka Sumire)