「そんなことになったら勇者に噛みついてやる！」 (Sonna Kotoni Nattara Yuusha ni Kamitsuite Yaru!)
“If That Happens, I’ll Take a Bite Out of the Hero!”
This episode hit its high note early with the impressive negotiations between Maou and Seinen Shounin, but after that I was feeling the lack of Maou x Yuusha. May the distance make their hearts grow fonder…even if it doesn’t appear to be doing that right now. Yuusha, you doutei baka!
Negotiating with Seinen Shounin
I knew this negotiation was going to be a serious one as soon as I saw the Alliance merchants rolling up. Compared to the Church, the Alliance has been painted as a menacing force from the beginning, and they did little to dispel that this time. Negotiations that feature masked mercenaries skulking in the woods and vengeful ghosts floating unknown above them? Talk about tense.
Lonely Without Yuusha
With Maou and Yuusha not directly interacting this episode, most of the rabu-rabu fun came from Maou being lonely without him. First of all, Meido Chou giving Maou extra flak about her useless meat was just hilarious! I love how she takes her nervousness out on her master (and sometimes just for shits and giggles). The rest of her loneliness just tore at my heart though. It seemed so…so needless.
I’m conflicted on Yuusha this episode. Part of it is because I’m a fair bit more experienced than him, so the answer to his problems is as clear to me as it was to Meido Chou: talk to her. That’s what she was saying with that “everything about you belongs to my master” speech. If I have to say it a thousand times I will, but communication is at the heart of any healthy relationship, and it’s better to just get it out there and talk to her than worry by yourself, you baka doutei!
Speaking of crappy politicians, the human world is proving that they still have plenty of those. There’s another senseless war brewing, so it looks like we may get a little action after all. With Yuusha looking like he’ll finally appear in front of Maou again, maybe we’ll get back to the rabu-rabu too? I hope so!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Tense negotiations net Maou a new ally & a new suitor. Meanwhile, Yuusha is still conflicted as a new war brews. All in a day’s work #Maoyuu
- A subtle thing, but I liked how Maou openly spoke about how her clothes were to give her a better negotiating position. Does calling out such a thing lessen its power? Not really. Everyone knows the game, so by openly stating it she shows how savvy she is. That means she has to perform at that level, but so long as she backs up her bullshit it’s only an advantage…and if she can’t, she would have been screwed anyway.
- Yuusha is popular with some very strange women. Does he have a charm spell on or something? Better watch out, Yuusha. That doesn’t always end well. (spoiler alert!)
- Looks like her dakimakura is back. Oh Maou, FOREVER ALONE!! (Not really)
- An armada of 200 warships holding 7000 people. Is it just me, or does that sound like a normal scrape by comparable historical standards? As sad as that is.
- Perhaps the most interesting thing about the coming conflict were some of the character’s reactions. The Fuyu no Ouji (lit: Prince of Winter, Hirakawa Daisuke) showed himself to be a firm idealist, while his butler Rou Yumihei (lit: Old Archer, Ginga Banjou) played the pragmatist. Most impressive to me though was Meido Ane. She wants to learn to fight? There is iron in that girl’s spine, and a damn good head on her shoulders. I look forward to the role she’ll continue to play in this story, which I have a feeling will be outsized for a meido…though really, the same could be said about Meido Chou as well. Viva la meidos!