Everything stays light and funny as we get our first taste of combat.
One of the things that differentiates this show from so many others – and it’s also one of the reasons I enjoy it so much – is that the characters don’t take everything too seriously. Things can get serious from time to time – such as when Rin, Illya, and Ruby were bracing for Rider’s attack – but in general, even when things are going badly the characters don’t despair. They think positively and keep it lighthearted! In a world with so many “serious”, emo-laden stories, this is a nice and refreshing change of pace.
Not that thinking positively always works out for them. Probably my favorite gag of the episode was when Illya found the love letter in her shoe box, and she and Ruby started freaking out–only for it to turn out to be from Rin, hah! Say what you will about Ruby’s trolling – and she’s good at it, hng~ – Rin got a good one in there. Illya’s hopes and dreams, crushed. Zetsuboushita!
Comedy In Combat
This episode we got our first real taste of combat in Prisma Illya with the battle against the Rider card. (Medusa version, not the Iskander one. Good thing too, or this anime would have ended on the second episode as everyone lost in the manliest way possible.) I have always called it very Nanoha-like, and now you see why – nukes, nukes, and more nukes! Real magical girls don’t screw around, they blast the @%(& out of their enemies.
Better than that though was the comedy in combat. It’s like I said before – they keep it lighthearted and funny most of the time, and only get serious after they’ve had plenty of fun. But they did get serious – despite the jokes, Rider’s attack would have been very dangerous, especially to Rin, since she doesn’t have Ruby’s hax abilities anymore. Luckily, Rider didn’t get the chance. That’s what you get for the long casting time, card!
Looking Ahead – A Wild Miyu Appears!
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Ruby is a troll, Rin is a troll, & Miyu has stepped onto the stage. Your life sure has become fun, eh Illya-chan? #prismaillya
- Kadowaki Mai is talking about the tarot cards here too? I hope this doesn’t become her thing. Unless it means more Prisma Illya, in which case I’m all for it, woo!
- Y-You used your weapon correctly Illya-chan, now stop before my heart gives–hurk! *dies of moe*
- I wonder what’s more dangerous, a young girl going out at midnight in a short skirt, or one going to see Rin? Definitely the latter.
- Is that some older Waver? You need to go outside and eat more, son. What would Broskander say if he saw you looking so fragile and weak?
- Embarrassed magical girl Illya is so moe~
- This is just an aside, but this show is like creative crack to me. Just the Nanoha-style action alone makes me want to go write 10,000 words right now. Hmmm, perhaps I shall…
For more from yours truly, check out my blog on writing, art, and the book I’m working on at stiltsoutloud.com.