「ロリ小姑ってのも悪くないわ」 (Rori Kojuutotte no mo Warukunai wa)
“It’s Not Bad Having a Loli Sister-in-Law”
Mashiro-tan really is a nice mix of childish and mature, and–oops! Looks like their secret is out of the bag, even while one still stays hidden from Kobeni.
UFOs, Sweets, & UMA Benio
Mashiro is simply a treat to watch. She’s undoubtedly childish no matter how mature she tries to act, and I find it both hilarious and adorable. Her penchant for clinging to people when she’s scared is especially great, as is her continued fear of Benio. And she even almost fell for Benio’s scone trap! Once again, this is comedy stuff, so whether you liked it is subjective. I enjoyed it heartily though!
Hakuya, Kobeni, & What Happened in the Past
The old osananajimi plot is a gold mine for romantic stories, and the slight “tweak” we have here appears to be 1) arranged marriage + 2) boy saved girl from an accident + 3) boy guilty he didn’t protect her better. Hakuya doesn’t get in many lines per episode, so when he stopped Mashiro from letting the cat out of the bag, I took note. True to my guess he didn’t want to inadvertently put pressure on Kobeni for her to marry him out of obligation. Though, a tip for Hakuya – you showed up at her doorstep and proclaimed yourself her fiance. You’re already sort of playing the obligation card.
Either way, Hakuya once again proves himself to be a nice guy, and too honest to just lie to her instead of making her wonder about it forever. Ahhh well, that fits his character. I’m sure this plot won’t disappear until Kobeni learns the truth, which should be good fun to watch.
Kobeni – More Than Cookie-Cutter
You could make the argument that the other characters are more tropey, to which I would remind you that tropes are not bad (trope!). Kobeni, though, is still proving herself to be more unique than that, and it’s in the small details you see this. Take her sensitivity about her wide hips (which is totally undeserved, by the way…those hips are wonderful!) or, and this is a better example, how she gave up on questioning how Mashiro got into high school because she always wanted an imouto. The “typical” comedic foil would have kept it up, but Kobeni, for her own unique reason, did not. She’s a good character.
Looking Ahead – The Secret is Out! (Partially)
Ohhh Mashiro-tan, you’re so precocious! She managed to keep one secret, but the other one is out of the bag. I like that – rather than letting the status quo stand, they’re changing things up. I look forward to seeing what hilarity this inspires.
Note: I still haven’t decided whether I’m picking this up or not. Yeah, I’m being indecisive, but it’s not a particularly convenient day for me to be blogging. Bear with me please.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Mashiro-tan kawaii yo! But now their living situation is out of the bag. Let the love comedy continue! #未確認で進行形 #mikakunin 02
- D’aaawww, Mashiro-tan’s ponytail wags like, well, a tail!
- You really ought to use some glue, Hakuya.
- Damn, he can look that cool while asleep? I wish I could do that. Would have made sleeping during class so much more fun back during college.
- There’s nothing good about big breasts?! LIES KOBENI, LIIIIEES!! (Okay, so maybe they’re not as much fun for you, but still.)
- Looks like Mashiro knows she’s going to be a pettanko forever.
- Multiple Benio-samas? Eh, I’d prefer multiple Kobenis myself.
- Benio is the eternal onee-san…except when it comes to otoutos. You’re out of luck, Hakuya. Surrender your imouto immediately!
- The OP is still really good, but this ED is no slouch either. Chibis banzai!
- Those were undoubtedly the cutest MIB references since Remon-sempai. Cuter really, just nowhere near as badass.
Check out my blog about storytelling and the fantasy novel I’m writing at stiltsoutloud.com. The last four posts: Stupid monsters, Don’t break the chain, Nerds & the miracle of human consciousness, and Urgency & the rush to come. My current combo counter: Writing chain, 5 days long. Editing chain, 0 days long.
ED: 「まっしろわーるど」 (Mashiro World) by みかくにんぐッ! (Mikakuning!)