Mikakunin de Shinkoukei – 03, 04 »« Mikakunin de Shinkoukei – 01

Mikakunin de Shinkoukei – 02

「ロリ小姑ってのも悪くないわ」 (Rori Kojuutotte no mo Warukunai wa)
“It’s Not Bad Having a Loli Sister-in-Law”

Mashiro-tan really is a nice mix of childish and mature, and–oops! Looks like their secret is out of the bag, even while one still stays hidden from Kobeni.

UFOs, Sweets, & UMA Benio

Mashiro is simply a treat to watch. She’s undoubtedly childish no matter how mature she tries to act, and I find it both hilarious and adorable. Her penchant for clinging to people when she’s scared is especially great, as is her continued fear of Benio. And she even almost fell for Benio’s scone trap! Once again, this is comedy stuff, so whether you liked it is subjective. I enjoyed it heartily though!

Hakuya, Kobeni, & What Happened in the Past

The old osananajimi plot is a gold mine for romantic stories, and the slight “tweak” we have here appears to be 1) arranged marriage + 2) boy saved girl from an accident + 3) boy guilty he didn’t protect her better. Hakuya doesn’t get in many lines per episode, so when he stopped Mashiro from letting the cat out of the bag, I took note. True to my guess he didn’t want to inadvertently put pressure on Kobeni for her to marry him out of obligation. Though, a tip for Hakuya – you showed up at her doorstep and proclaimed yourself her fiance. You’re already sort of playing the obligation card.

Either way, Hakuya once again proves himself to be a nice guy, and too honest to just lie to her instead of making her wonder about it forever. Ahhh well, that fits his character. I’m sure this plot won’t disappear until Kobeni learns the truth, which should be good fun to watch.

Kobeni – More Than Cookie-Cutter

You could make the argument that the other characters are more tropey, to which I would remind you that tropes are not bad (trope!). Kobeni, though, is still proving herself to be more unique than that, and it’s in the small details you see this. Take her sensitivity about her wide hips (which is totally undeserved, by the way…those hips are wonderful!) or, and this is a better example, how she gave up on questioning how Mashiro got into high school because she always wanted an imouto. The “typical” comedic foil would have kept it up, but Kobeni, for her own unique reason, did not. She’s a good character.

Looking Ahead – The Secret is Out! (Partially)

Ohhh Mashiro-tan, you’re so precocious! She managed to keep one secret, but the other one is out of the bag. I like that – rather than letting the status quo stand, they’re changing things up. I look forward to seeing what hilarity this inspires.

Note: I still haven’t decided whether I’m picking this up or not. Yeah, I’m being indecisive, but it’s not a particularly convenient day for me to be blogging. Bear with me please.

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Mashiro-tan kawaii yo! But now their living situation is out of the bag. Let the love comedy continue! #未確認で進行形 #mikakunin 02

Random thoughts:

• D’aaawww, Mashiro-tan’s ponytail wags like, well, a tail!
  • You really ought to use some glue, Hakuya.
  • Damn, he can look that cool while asleep? I wish I could do that. Would have made sleeping during class so much more fun back during college.
  • There’s nothing good about big breasts?! LIES KOBENI, LIIIIEES!! (Okay, so maybe they’re not as much fun for you, but still.)
  • Looks like Mashiro knows she’s going to be a pettanko forever.
  • Multiple Benio-samas? Eh, I’d prefer multiple Kobenis myself.
  • Benio is the eternal onee-sanexcept when it comes to otoutos. You’re out of luck, Hakuya. Surrender your imouto immediately!
  • The OP is still really good, but this ED is no slouch either. Chibis banzai!
  • Those were undoubtedly the cutest MIB references since Remon-sempai. Cuter really, just nowhere near as badass.

Check out my blog about storytelling and the fantasy novel I’m writing at stiltsoutloud.com. The last four posts: Stupid monsters, Don’t break the chain, Nerds & the miracle of human consciousness, and Urgency & the rush to come. My current combo counter: Writing chain, 5 days long. Editing chain, 0 days long.

Full-length images: 08, 15.

ED Sequence

ED: 「まっしろわーるど」 (Mashiro World) by みかくにんぐッ! (Mikakuning!)

January 16, 2014 at 1:21 pm
  • January 16, 2014 at 1:28 pmSoliloquy

Chibis banzai indeed.

• January 16, 2014 at 1:34 pmkatsudon

Wait, you DON’T look that cool when you sleep Stilts? Frankly, I’m disappointed.
    Really liking this show so far, it’s so cute and has some great comedic moments- can’t wait to see how Hakuya and Kobeni’s relationship develops, that ought to be interesting.

• January 16, 2014 at 2:12 pmStilts

N-No, I was just kidding, I t-totally do!

In all seriousness, I never got the lean perfected, and when you’re 6’7″ (2m) tall, slouching down in your seat can be effective, but totally not cool. Ahhh the curse of being ridiculously tall!

*pat everyone on the head* *laughs when they can’t do anything about it* *gets kneed in the crotch*

• January 16, 2014 at 1:58 pmx

This seem to just get better and better XD.

Want to see more of Nadeshiko :p.

• January 16, 2014 at 2:02 pmKoji

You know, I wasn’t expecting anything from this series… I literally started watching it because I had too much free time (a rarity anymore as a parent of 2 little girls) but I’m glad I gave one more series a try. This is easily my favorite of the season so far… it’s just a shame that SYD has fallen so far. Why do sequels to comedic series take their relationship aspects too seriously?

• January 16, 2014 at 2:10 pmStilts

The problem with heavily gag-based comedies – or pure comedies in general, really – is that once you learn how the jokes in that story generally go, they stop being as funny. You may continue to watch, but it’s more out of nostalgia, and it never reaches quite the same heights. The same thing is true of the creator. They can feel they’re not hitting it out of the park with their comedy anymore, so they try to build up something that can take them the distance…and then there you have it.

Mind you, I like the relationship aspects in many comedies, I just prefer they be worked in from the very beginning like with this one ^^

• January 16, 2014 at 2:47 pmKoji

Agreed, it’s not that comedies can’t have romantic aspects, but it’s when a series that starts off comedic with slight romantic hints comes back for a second season, it inevitably throws away nearly all comedy an attempts to give you a show you didn’t ask for.

The only successful exception to this in my mind has been “Friend Club”, but they managed to keep the show just as funny while doing so.

• January 17, 2014 at 7:47 ambanzemanga

I agree with you guys. On the other hand, i hate love comedies that never resolve their love misunderstandings like School Rumble.

• January 16, 2014 at 2:17 pmdanes256

I honestly didn’t expect this show to be this entertaining, i was quit skeptical when i first watched it, but now it’s already on my anime list

• January 16, 2014 at 2:26 pmP Ko

Quickly becoming my favourite anime of the season.

• January 16, 2014 at 2:35 pmPancakes

Never expected this show to be good, but so far have been pleasantly surprised. Laughed most at Hayuka’s block house being knocked down not once, twice, but three times. Gives me nostalgia playing with my mom’s stone blocks she got as a kid when living in England, only to have the damn cats knock the buildings down T_T

Not sure if this can be labelled as a healing anime, but it definitely is on the cute and light-hearted side. Especially the artwork, for some reason the simple way they have shown “shining” on hair and clothing is quite pleasing.

• January 16, 2014 at 5:28 pmEuzio

Think the good thing bout this series so far is that while its mostly light-hearted, it does touch on some of the serious aspects as well. Really interested to know what happen during Hakuya and Kobeni’s childhood. Hakuya earns major points for not wanting Kobeni to feel indebted to him.

• January 16, 2014 at 9:54 pmPancakes

Agreed, the best part about it is how secondary the “marriage” elements are treated. It’s serious yes, but it is not SERIOUS per say; the marriage serves as the foundation for the comedy rather than being the thing laughed at directly.

I always have preferred these light-hearted romcoms or SoLs to the other ones because they do not try to forge a serious, real-world example we are supposed to draw conclusions from or stick purely to hyperbolic, exaggerated gags that grow stale after some time. They give you a little of both worlds to keep things fresh and prevent viewer burnout.

• January 17, 2014 at 7:07 amStilts

A foundation of the comedy, that’s a good insight. I might have to steal that at some point.

• January 16, 2014 at 2:45 pmCroos

• January 16, 2014 at 3:23 pmwxiagz

Dem child-bearing hips!

• January 16, 2014 at 5:25 pmEuzio

Indeed! Kobeni has fantastic child-bearing hips! XD

And i’m really starting to like the OP too. Its just too adorable~ :D

• January 16, 2014 at 9:06 pmVaans

Know we know why she was chosen the fiancee. Ufufufu!

• January 16, 2014 at 3:36 pmmac65

Amazingly, a lot of info in this episode and it didn’t feel rushed
    or out of place. Such great execution of the story in Anime…

…the dialogue flows so well you almost forget that they’re talking
    about a 16-year old girl’s hips!

Love it so far!

• January 16, 2014 at 4:13 pmCroos

It’s ok for me if you don’t blog this Stilts but promise me that you’ll keep watching this… for me :>

• January 17, 2014 at 7:09 amStilts

No worries, I’ll definitely be watching it no matter what!

• January 16, 2014 at 4:21 pmWanderer

Kobeni is love. I would totally be happy to marry her.

• January 16, 2014 at 5:03 pmILikePopCans

Nope, Mashiro was too annoying this episode. Nope Nope Nope

• January 16, 2014 at 5:22 pmVip

Second episode, still awesome. I can’t exactly pinpoint the reason, but this show is just plainly *fun* to watch. It doesn’t happen often that I just sit with my mouth twisted into a grin throughout an entire episode, and yet this series managed to do this twice in a row already.

• January 16, 2014 at 5:37 pmLonghaul

All of this baiting with images of aliens and whatnot, I think many will flip out if anything comes of it like some are speculating.

• January 16, 2014 at 6:08 pmtsukioniisan

Hakuya spacing out. Aliens from outer space. E.T. confirmed!

• January 16, 2014 at 6:33 pmSerapita

D’aaawww, Mashiro-tan’s ponytail wags like, well, a tail!

Maybe it’s really a tail?

• January 18, 2014 at 4:52 pmGreg

The title is after all “Engaged to the unidentified”, so I wouldn’t be all that surprised if there were something weird with that family. Someone on another forum also brought up that the family that they are part of are very mysterious and powerful.

• January 16, 2014 at 6:36 pmSerapita

Darn, hit submit too soon. Forgot to add that Kobeni is perfect waifu material. She’s good at cleaning, cooking, taking care of fiance’s relatives and almost without flaw!

• January 16, 2014 at 11:44 pmTassadar

Don’t forget the perfect hips!

• January 16, 2014 at 6:41 pmricz

Definitely one of the best/good show this season w/ a lovely and cute OP/ED

• January 16, 2014 at 8:14 pmCarVac

Benio’s in-school appearance with glasses looks disturbingly like crossdressing Katsuragi Keima…

• January 16, 2014 at 11:41 pmwxiagz

Now I can’t not see Keima, ……..AAAAARGH!!!

• January 17, 2014 at 3:26 pmplushkin

You’ve watched it.
        You can’t unwatch it.

Stay tuned for more…

TALES..
        OF……..
        INTEREST!!!

• January 17, 2014 at 6:57 amSaphirio

Benio at home and being a lolihunter looks like a crossdressing Kyousuke Natsume to me, too. xD

• January 17, 2014 at 5:34 amDave

Pick it up! Don’t drop the series! And the OP is like crack.

• January 17, 2014 at 7:39 amonion warrior

Mashiro is totally hngggg~!!! cant get enough of her! XDDDD

anyhow, i hope they would not turn Hakuya and Mashiro’s identities into something i fore-fear it would be…a normal SOL would do. huhuhuu

• January 19, 2014 at 8:17 amTrapMaster

I hope not either, but seeing the series so far, I think the chances are rather slim, and probably it’s not going to be the biggest thing in the series :P

And of course Mashiro is too damn cute, she’s a loli (a proud one to be more precise), and who doesn’t like a loli :3

• January 17, 2014 at 11:13 amThe Story You Don’t Know

Even though the plot can be generic as it can get; childhood friends, accidents involving lost memories, overnight fiance, hidden couple in the school, the characters are more than enough to make up for it. The OP and ED are catchy and funny too.

• January 17, 2014 at 11:36 amIbreaker9736

I can’t get enough of the scene where Kobeni is dancing in the opening. And no, not because of the breast jiggling.

• January 19, 2014 at 8:15 amTrapMaster

Of course, we watch this for the great glory of “PLOT”, of course it’s not about the boobs jiggling, you know…. haha *nervous sweat*

• January 17, 2014 at 4:01 pmLitho

This turned out better than I thought, though the scenes with Benio in it are starting to annoy me a bit.

• January 17, 2014 at 4:46 pmAnonymosity

Benio is the eternal onee-san…except when it comes to otoutos. You’re out of luck, Hakuya. Surrender your imouto immediately!
    Loved how that woke him up!

btw, I think Kobeni’s friend (what’s her name again?) is one of the best “main character’s friend” characters in a long while. Accepting the situation, supporting Kobeni, being involved in scenes and not being annoying are all points in her favor.
    She’s not spectacularly written and sure is a bit bland (for now, at least), but she’s a nice character.

• January 18, 2014 at 8:10 amStilts

I agree. Not every character needs to be a font of originality with a forceful and astonishing personality – some just need to support the main cast, and she does it well. I also appreciate how she’s always there in school scenes like one would expect, rather than just disappearing randomly. Compare this to Isshiki in Chu2koi, who tends to only show up when there’s some story reason for him to be there (usually, a joke at his expense). He’s never just there, hanging out with his friends. Mayura is.

• January 18, 2014 at 6:19 amIHH

Wanna like it for lolicon yuri onee san, but disturbingly patriarchal tone from every member and generation of cast including the loli is making this hard.

• January 18, 2014 at 8:59 pmZangkin

I really want to watch this series because its been an enjoyable experience so far. The only problem is Mashiro. I think her character is fine but that voice. It just sounds so annoying and it’s not only due to the fact that it doesn’t fit her character design at all.

• January 19, 2014 at 8:13 amTrapMaster

I have to admit, coming in this series, I thought this was going to be an average series watching it only because stilts did a preview on this show, but after watching it, I have to completely change my opinion on this series, so far, this series is probably one of the best this season for me so far. I mean who doesn’t like a proud loli, a perverted siscon + lolicon (wait, if mashiro is her sister in law, then wouldn’t she be her sister + a loli, that’s double the threat mashiro has coming her way :0) and an average girl (who has great child bearing hips :3). the premise is really laid back but wacky and silly at the same time, and animation wise and voice acting are really nice, IMO, and the way the story seems to flow really fluently and naturally makes it that much better. :3

• January 20, 2014 at 3:51 amHanabira.Kage

Da da da, da da da woo woo~

I love that OP.

The ED is cute too, but it seems that it was made for the express purpose of making Mashiro more likable…

And I want a Kobeni for myself! T.T

• January 20, 2014 at 6:32 amSingerOfW

Honestly, it did feel like the main character is Mashiro rather than Kobeni, simply because she got so much screen time. But well, that’s probably because it was a Mashiro-centric episode (or at least that’s what the episode title implies).

Just noticed that Mashiro and Hakuya share a kanji in their names (the same case as with Kobeni and Benio, which is a bit more obvious). Waiting for more characters with color-coded names, I suppose.

• January 20, 2014 at 8:06 amJ_the_Man

I like this year’s Mashiro better than last year’s Mashiro.

• January 22, 2014 at 7:25 amDark

Question! Why doesn’t this series have a link in the currently aired section?

• January 22, 2014 at 7:32 amStilts

Because I haven’t picked it up. I did a second episode because I was still deciding, but I’m 90% sure I won’t be blogging it because it’s a rough day for me to be blogging right now. Besides, Mikakunin is a somewhat hard show to write about. You can probably look forward to a finale post though, time permitting.

• January 22, 2014 at 3:59 pmSirius

Benio is a pervert siscon and child molestor but gets a free pass because she’s a pretty high school girl and that’s fine and all. She was fun at first but it’s episode two and she’s starting to get on my nerves which is why Nadeshiko is currently my favorite character. I hope she’s there to shut her up every episode.