Trinity Seven – 09 »« Trinity Seven – 07

Trinity Seven – 08

「魔道勉強(スタディ)と安息日(ホリデイ)」 (Madou Benkyou (Sutadi) to Ansokujitsu (Horidei))
“Study and Holiday”

It’s been an uneven path to here, but finally the magic is explained, the plot is progressing, all the characters are introduced, and it can all work side-by-side as they dial the ecchi-funny up to eleven. This is the show I always wanted Trinity Seven/i> to be.

Ecchi, Hilarious Fun

Over three-fourths of the episode was devoted to ecchi comedy, and I’m totally okay with that! First and foremost because it was a lot of fun—from Lilith being surprised that Arata was being diligent to teasing Lilith, Lilith tsukkomis, embarrassed Lilith, and Sora talking about Lilith being ecchi, it was hilarious! And when I put it that way, it makes one thing abundantly clear—Lilith is the heart of this show. Or, if not the heart, she’s what makes the comedy work. Everyone else is crazy to one degree or another, while Lilith is the only sane man (trope!) who exists solely to get flustered and react to their nonsense. Like Kazama Kenji in D-Frag! (Takao best girl), the comedy just wouldn’t work without her around, so she’s vital to nearly every single scene. Sure, Mira can fill in on occasion, but even her scene was aided by Lilith waking up. You could get rid of nearly any other character, but without Lilith, this whole thing doesn’t work.

Not Just PLOT, But Plot

The other reason this episode worked so well was that there was actually plot going on. Arata is still badly in need of some training, but getting it all done through a quick montage and lots of laughs is the absolute best way to do it in this situation, because the whole episode actually propelled the story forward without being a dry, boring mess. I think it’s important that we, as viewers, actually feel the passage of time, otherwise we don’t feel the weight of whatever just happened (in this case, training / learning). The old DBZ training arcs were a stretched out version of this, as is Haruhi’s Endless Eight arc, though in that case it was heavily overdone.

But a training montage wouldn’t have been enough, so when someone interfered with the warp drive and Arata, Mira, and Sora ended up in the past (I assume … traveling through space, time, it’s all the same thing), that tantalizing glimpse of not-Hijiri was enough to get me going “Uhhhh, next episode please?” Which is a nice place to be when the plot for this series has struggled so much.

Lilith Confirmed for End Girl?

The one thing I don’t get is Yui. I can see why the rest of the girls haven’t jumped Arata’s bones yet (or vice versa)—tsundere (Lilith, Mira), not in touch with her feelings (Arin), probably not interested but likes to tease (Levi, Sora), trapped in another dimension (Liese), no real interest (Akio, Selina)—but Yui keeps baiting him pretty hard. I feel like she would already be having him take responsibility at this point.

But maybe the reason is that Arata has his eyes on Lilith (when they’re not on rescuing Hijiri), and he might actually be—gasp!—a good guy beneath all the perverted teasing. No complaints really. Aside from that Yui snarl it’s actually reasonable that he hasn’t gone full Itou Makoto (School Days) and bedded every haremette in the show, despite his clear sex drive (it’s still weird that that’s weird). Plus, after linking this Arata x Lilith scene to the past Arata x Hijiri scene … symbolism! Lilith end confirmed (not really, but probably).

A Mages’ Thema

Levi is Envy, Invidia. Yui is Greed, Avaritia. Arin is Ira, Wrath. Liese is Sloth, Acedia. Akio is Gluttony, Gula. Mira is Pride, Superbia, which is the same as Arata’s. Lilith is Lust, Luxuria. First of all: Lilith-sensei hng~! If only a mages’ thema were what they’re closest to instead of furthest from, because an ecchi Lilith would be fantastic.

That aside, all of the Trinity Seven seem to fit with their thema being their opposite, aside from Mira. Levi doesn’t seem to envy anyone, Yui isn’t greedy at all (is that why she hasn’t claimed Arata? Hmmm…), Arin isn’t one for hot emotions, Liese acts quickly, etc. The opposite of gluttony would be … temperance? Well, Akio used to be a nun, so I can dig that. And Lilith-sensei is definitely pure. But Mira seems full of pride rather than being humble as her thema would seem to suggest. They do say a magus’ thema is usually their opposite, so maybe Mira is the exception, but do I just have her pegged wrong? Is she actually really humble? Give me your opinions in the comments below, sports fans!

Looking Ahead – Blushing Mira

I am looking forward to seeing what’s the deal with not-Hijiri, but let’s face it, the promised spate of blushing Mira scenes is the real draw. And can we get her in this meido uniform too? Thanks.

tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – Plot, magic, comedy, ecchi … this show has it all, finally. Mostly the ecchi-comedy, but not complaining! #trinity7 08

Random thoughts:

Check out my blog about storytelling and the novel I’m writing at stiltsoutloud.com. The last four posts: The allure of magic, Import, don’t recycle, Impostor syndrome, and Save it for your daydreams. For book updates, sign up for my mailing list.

Full-length images: 06, 19, 25, 26, 35, 42.

ED4 Sequence

ED4: 「TRINITY×SEVENTH+HEAVEN」 by Hikasa Yoko & Yuzuki Ryoka

November 25, 2014 at 7:17 pm
  • November 25, 2014 at 7:34 pmRetsurai

one word? bweebbbs

• November 25, 2014 at 8:02 pmlytterbug

Mira arc coming up iirc. The opposite of pride is tsundere, apparently.

• November 26, 2014 at 1:41 amdeVaras

All arcs should be Mira arcs.

• November 25, 2014 at 8:10 pmRyuuzaki

this episode is like, “calm before the storm” and i quite enjoyed it especially the dirty jokes on lilith. who doesnt want lilith’s “tokubetsu jugyou” anyway!

• November 25, 2014 at 8:37 pmGabriel

This anime is so crazy! i like it!

• November 25, 2014 at 8:42 pmTarage

Sora is the best wingwoman grimlore.

• November 25, 2014 at 9:06 pmShiden

She takes her role as Head of Grimore Security seriously. Go back to the side bit that she and Akio had in episode 5. The “real” Mira is relatively shy, insecure, and awkward, which is totally off from Pride.

• November 26, 2014 at 12:11 amckuri

Correct, also “superbia” is not just pride but more hubris and arrogance and the seven sins are meant as a display of excessive care for only yourself. Mira, on the other hand, in addition to being shy, due to her function as head of security is constantly risking her life for others.

• November 26, 2014 at 11:21 amStilts

Hmm, I suppose if it’s more of arrogance, being selfless is near enough to the opposite for me. Danke~

• November 25, 2014 at 10:26 pmXacual

On the note of themas, thema is different from archive. Thema is specifically their study while archive is where the thema falls under, like both Arata and Mira are under the Superbia archive but Mira’s thema is justice while Arata’s is control or command.

On the episode, I’m happy we’re finally getting to more serious plot, Liese never felt like a serious foe since she’s a member of the Trinity Seven.

• November 25, 2014 at 10:38 pmWeird d

At times I wonder if Mira shouldn’t have gone with Lust too.

• November 25, 2014 at 10:46 pmPat

Akio is such a bad ass. She’s like the girl Yusuke Urameshi. From the way she wears her uniform to that resting threatening/amused face she’s got goin on, everything about her just screams “I might whip yo ass.”

• November 25, 2014 at 11:55 pmbrizzy

omgg lilith is soo kawaiii!! an echhi lilith would be fantastic!!

• November 26, 2014 at 12:52 aminfo600

And can we get her in this meido uniform too? Thanks.

Weird, I actually want to see Mira in something more casual:
    …or all of them in casual clothing, I don’t mind.

BTW, I think Sora has been (slowly?) copying Arata’s personality during all those weeks…
    …and the fact that she has zero problems getting it on with him.

• November 26, 2014 at 5:24 amShiden

Except for Liese and Serena, all of the outfits in the ED are from Chapter 30 of the manga. It’s another break chapter, hence all the casual outfits.
      Not-really a spoiler spoiler:

• November 26, 2014 at 11:21 amStilts

I dunno, I think Sora was a tease all along. She definitely had some of that going on in episode one.

• November 26, 2014 at 7:56 pminfo600

Oh yeah, I forgot how hard she trolls on the main girls.

• November 26, 2014 at 12:58 amXRick

Can someone tell me how far has the adaption gone so far and if it has been doing good?

• November 26, 2014 at 2:27 amckuri

We are currently in chapter 21 and the adaption stays pretty much faithful to the manga. So, yes, I would say it’s doing quite good.

• November 26, 2014 at 1:45 amkaz

The style of the images of the new ED kinda reminded me of the first ED of Yu Yu Hakusho.
    aahhh… so nostalgic. ^_^

• November 26, 2014 at 2:25 amSetsuna Henry

• November 26, 2014 at 3:34 amgawrshness

There is an overabundance of Hijiri in this place, first Sora posing as Hijiri, then Arin looking exactly like Hijiri and now Not Hijiri Hijiri. I wonder if Arin’s relationship with Hijiri is like Liese and Selina. I really am curious about this story, especially when from the opening it looks like Arata himself is the final bad guy.

• November 26, 2014 at 3:40 amjack oneil

wow! was that a stargate reference?!!!

• November 29, 2014 at 1:23 amSmokex365

That’s what I’m wondering. Oh, how I miss my weekly Stargate fix (even the promising but poorly done Universe).

• November 26, 2014 at 4:34 amcruiser2710

Stilts…. You’re missing the other Lilith screen cap…. The one with Arata in the middle

• November 26, 2014 at 11:22 amStilts

I get in enough trouble for including extra caps for this show, I can’t include everything, lol

• November 27, 2014 at 9:04 pmc2710

Awwww Stilts… Think about us little kids =P

• November 29, 2014 at 1:26 amSmokex365

They’re for the cute quota. It just happens to require a few hundred extra caps here and there! :)

• November 26, 2014 at 4:49 amprojectnoa

“But maybe the reason is that Arata has his eyes on Lilith (when they’re not on rescuing Hijiri), and he might actually be—gasp!—a good guy beneath all the perverted teasing.”

Yaaaay for a fun, teasing but actually serious, assertive and committed main character!

“No complaints really. Aside from that Yui snarl it’s actually reasonable that he hasn’t gone full Itou Makoto (School Days) and bedded every haremette in the show,”

Noooooo! don’t go that route! aaaaaahhhg the nightmares… :(

Can I just say that I love this image. :D

• November 26, 2014 at 4:52 amprojectnoa

Awww :( I tried to link an image from the post and it didn’t work. Can someone tell me how to do it? apparently just the HTML tag is not enough :(

• November 26, 2014 at 5:33 amShiden

Sorry, the reply below was meant for you. Just copy-paste the image url, no tags required. It only works with images from the post you’re commenting on.

• November 26, 2014 at 5:32 amShiden

• November 26, 2014 at 8:39 amYanDaMan

Those Mira expressions are reasons enough to bump her rank up in my personal best-girl rankings. Still under Levi and Liese, but shes getting a solid 3rd place right now :3

• November 26, 2014 at 5:29 pmhjerry

Mira is best girl

• November 26, 2014 at 5:45 pmbakakubi

Woot! My second favorite arc so far is finally starting!

As for who’s best girl and end girl:

• November 26, 2014 at 6:00 pmrandom viewer

• November 26, 2014 at 8:34 pmStilts

Because most girls (or boys) don’t have more than maybe one or two, unless they’re in the ocean all the time, they’re rich, or they’re a professional model? I dunno, this way works for me.

• November 26, 2014 at 9:05 pmTrap Masters

I definitely enjoyed this episode a lot more than the previous couple of episode, since they actually took time to train arata, instead of him getting by just because he can, and we get plenty of blushing Lilith which is awesome! :D Really looking forward to the next episode!
    PS: Sora didn’t have any swimsuit! :O I didn’t even notice until Stilts pointed it out, not sure if I’m not observant enough or Stilts is too observant. :P

• November 28, 2014 at 11:25 amStilts

I-I take my blogging responsibilities very seriously. I wasn’t looking for it. Don’t judge me! AHHHHH *hides*

• November 27, 2014 at 7:54 pmrandom viewer