One-Punch Man – 07 »« One-Punch Man – 05

One-Punch Man – 06

“The Terrifying City”

「最恐の都市」 (Saikyou no Toshi)

The Hilarious Saitama and His Many Reaction Faces:

The true blessing of this episode was the sheer amount of Saitama reaction faces we got. Thank you for that, One-Punch Man. In a way, I’m glad this episode didn’t have a massive fight sequence because that meant we could instead some time on the other things that make One-Punch Man so enjoyable. It’s only been six episodes, but my journey with the series has been a turbulent one, if only because I was expecting something massive… and we’ve only gotten than from time to time. Now that I have a better understanding of what kind of show One-Punch Man is trying to be, I’m finding myself enjoying it a lot more. That, and I do think it has improved story-wise in the past two episodes. As I said last week, the worldbuilding and introduction of new heroes makes everything feel fresh, which is what this episode was.

Still, Saitama’s face was the best part this week. All his reaction shots were brilliant (and there were plenty of them). I’m really digging his dynamic with Genos as well, and I can see why there are plenty of doujins about them. I mean, you’ve got to be purposefully avoiding it if you can’t see that Genos’s attachment to his mentor seems a little more than respectful. And because of it, it’s hilarious. Whether it be Saitama saying the most ridiculous things and coming up with a pretend training regime for his pupil, or when Genos brings up Saitama’s loss of hair, or when he reads off the comments from the hero popularity poll (I’m glad that was brought up – that has so much gag potential)! I laughed multiple times throughout this episode, which isn’t something I could say a few weeks ago. So in that respect, this episode definitely delivered.

Trouble Brewing in City Z:

As I said, there wasn’t a massive fight like we got last week, but the confrontation with Saitama and Sonic was enough to keep me entertained. Seeing Saitama struggle as a C-class seems odd on paper, but because he’s too strong for the tasks he’s expected to complete, it’s no wonder it all feels wrong. We didn’t even get to see his fight with the monster at the end of the episode, instead just cutting straight to the boiling pot. The action may have been sacrificed for the comedy here, but it definitely paid off.

We got to see plenty of other heroes while trouble was brewing at City Z (which does seem like a terrible place to live right now – Saitama and Genos should consider relocating). I’ve seen manga fans drop a few names from time to time, but haven’t been able to put faces to those names. Tatsumaki “Terrible Tornado” (Yuuki Aoi) is one that I’ve been most looking forward to, and so far I’m not disappointed. Not only is her design slick and her green hair awesome, but she feels like a big deal after being kept from heading to the scene this week. Whenever she does step onto the field, I expect shit to go down.

Everything about Watchdog Man (Ueda Yuki) is hilarious to me, and Fubuki “Blizzard of Hell” (Hayami Saori – there she is again, popping up everywhere, my favourite seiyuu!) is one I’ve seen mentioned time and time again, so I expect she’ll deliver the goods in the episode after next (going by the endcard). We got to see a few others as well, but they didn’t really stand out, and I don’t expect them to do much in future episodes. Still, there’s plenty more to come, and I’m hyped to see more superheroes in action… as soon as the big baddies decide to make their grand appearance.

Overview – What’s Next?:

Not as massive as last week, but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. We got to see more heroes, and got plenty of stellar comedy with Saitama and his eager boyfriend pupil. Great stuff all around, and I’m looking forward to more. I’m just glad that One-Punch Man managed to turn it around last week and have me completely on board for the rest of the ride.

November 8, 2015 at 4:25 pm
  • November 8, 2015 at 5:00 pmGrahav

Funny thing, his first job as a class hero turning to beat what I would categorize as a high class criminal.

In a way Genos and Sonic are in the same situation. Trying to reach/beat an infinite power that has no idea how he has come to be.

• November 8, 2015 at 5:14 pmJustpassingby

Finally, best girl Blizzard has appeared! http://randomc.net/image/One-Punch%20Man/One-Punch%20Man%20-%2006%20-%2031.jpg
    Although she hada little too few scenes until a certain point, hopefully the anime shall rectify that.

• November 8, 2015 at 10:04 pmstarss

It really is a crime that this show is only going to be 12 episodes. This episode is all about building the world out even further!

• November 9, 2015 at 9:28 amGuile

I’d rather they just continue to hang lampshades on Fubuki appearing, and bask in the lovely tears of the manga fans.

• November 9, 2015 at 6:19 pmSamu

You’re all getting me hyped for her, you guys. *waits patiently*

• November 10, 2015 at 4:28 amMistic

By the look of it, you’ll have to wait for the next season :(

• November 8, 2015 at 5:26 pmMistic

The Tornado and Blizzard sisters in the same episode! And Blizzard’s group too, and also that detail about the book written by King. Pure fanservice for manga readers.

And I love it.

(By the way, what is that about Fubuki appearing in another episode? I thought it was going to be just a cameo)

• November 9, 2015 at 6:10 pmMonimonika

It’s only just confirmed that she and her lackeys are definitely not showing up in the next episode. Whether she cameos in any episodes after that is anyone’s guess.

Also, noting that “Gokiburi Buster” is written by ONE and illustrated by Murata Yuusuke.

• November 9, 2015 at 6:41 pmMonimonika

Adding in more detail about “Gokiburi Basuta-” 「ゴキブリバスター」 “Cockroach Buster”, here’s the summary written on the back of the volume Saitama was holding:

奴らとの接触は死を意味する!
      人類の仇敵ゴキブリに敢然と
      立ち向かう男達の究極バイオレンス
      アクションかというとそうでもない!

Contact with Them means death!
      The ultimate violence-action story about men boldly facing
      mankind’s bitter enemy the cockroach (…not really)!

• November 8, 2015 at 5:28 pmRaijin

Yuuki Aoi is so perfect for this role! She is always at her best when voicing slightly bratty lolis, and I can’t get enough of her proud voice.

A loli voiced by a loli. ^^

• November 9, 2015 at 3:26 amGinobi47

Im not really well versed in the japanesse voice acting scene, but if what you’re saying is true, then I must go to japan and marry this Yuuki Aoi person!

A real live legal loli! I thought those things only exist in my imagination!

FYI: Tatsumaki is MY WAIFU! No Touching!

• November 9, 2015 at 3:43 amGinobi47

Sorry for the double post.

After google-ing Yuuki Aoi and finding the list of characters voiced by her, I cant help but tip my hat to her.

Not only does she go for my waifu loli types (Nina & Krull Tepes, Tatsumaki, etc), she even does my waifu kuudere types (Urushibara Shizuno from World Break and Fremy Speeddraw from Rokka No Yuusha)!

But what impressed me the most is her role as Clementine from Overlord. Her deranged and arrogant voice really brought Clementine to life! Too bad Ainz killed her off so quickly.

Never the less, Yuuki Aoi is versatile as hell!

I may not be well versed in the japanesse voice acting scene (the only one I know of is Rei Kugimiya) but I will definitely etch Yuuki Aoi’s name into my long term memory banks

• November 9, 2015 at 3:53 pmmac65

You must be one of those pigs that watch Anime based on the Voice Actress :) :) :) :)
        (Quote from Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de that had me rolling on the floor!)

Hey, that’s why (U.S.) dubbing will never, in a million years, come close to the work
        the Voice Actresses (and Actors) put into their craft. The voicing of the part, for me
        at least, can make all of the difference in how I perceive a character. But I digress…

Loved this episode (and all of them up to date). You don’t have to see how he defeated
        lettuce monster, but it was with one punch, you can be sure. I was wondering how a series
        based on this concept would actually play out – it’d be pretty boring if every episode had
        him fight with the inevitable outcome. But I’m really getting into the situations the
        Anime sets up around his skill….

You know what, go find that girl (but not in a creepy way, ‛k?) – you only live once!

• November 10, 2015 at 8:22 pmKuma Kuma

Yeah, Aoi Yuuki has been my favorite Seiyuu for a long time. Aside from wide range of voice from loli to those twisted sadist… she also melt my heart every time she voiced a sad scene especially as Madoka in Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica and Freamy in Rokka no Yuusha… whenever her voice start cracking my heart will melt~ d’awww~

• November 9, 2015 at 9:53 pmYyi

Her character bio says that she’s 28 years old. :o
      Does that still count as loli?

• November 10, 2015 at 2:55 amRaijin

She is a legal loli, not a true loli.

Look up the video of Ayana Taketatsu explaining to Kana Hanazawa the difference, and be enlightened!

• November 8, 2015 at 5:49 pmLonghaul

yaoi goggles

• November 9, 2015 at 6:20 pmSamu

I agree!

• November 8, 2015 at 5:53 pmBlahto

Saori Hayami hell yeah!!!

• November 9, 2015 at 6:20 pmSamu

I agree also!

• November 8, 2015 at 5:57 pmSeikou

I’m totally sure that Watchdog Man is bald underneath his costume.

He is mysteriously powerful and has that same bored expression on his face as Saitama. The costume is just his way of entertaining himself during those monster fights, which takes less effort than swatting a fly for him.

• November 8, 2015 at 6:43 pmMincemaker

Seeing that he patrols the most dangerous city by his lonesome and hardly gets a scratch from those said patrols daily, he had to be preposterously powerful. However, we do not see much of him in action.

Could he be the Onebark Man?

• November 8, 2015 at 6:48 pmBigFire

Watchdog Man is actually genuinely powerful, patrolling City Q by himself. You’d think he’s a joke character but isn’t. Prior to this episode we only got a brief look at him when Professor Genus was looking up data on Mosquitos Girl. He pull up profiles of 3 S Class Heroes: Watchdog Man, Metal Bat and Superalloy Blackluster.

• November 8, 2015 at 8:19 pmOnePunch_Guy

What if Watchdog Man is just a really large dog with human face as his mouth?

• November 9, 2015 at 2:33 amJustpassingby

Oh God. That’s unseeable. Excuse me while I take some time to take that image off my memory before it’s too late.

• November 9, 2015 at 1:14 amAzalea23

it’s been stated that watchdog man wears this costume so he can be popular with the kids and don’t scare them off.

as for why he thinks he’d scare them off to begin with, we can only guess. maybe people are right, he might just be like Saitama?

• November 8, 2015 at 8:21 pmOnePunch_Guy

• November 8, 2015 at 10:03 pmstarss

Behind his tough exterior lies his fragile self.

• November 8, 2015 at 10:03 pmstarss

He’s so handsome! <3

• November 8, 2015 at 11:14 pmPrivate

Is the vegetable dude gonna be okay? I found this series terrifying.

• November 9, 2015 at 5:50 amGrahav

If you read the correspondent manga chapter wou will see what happened.

• November 11, 2015 at 6:26 pmOnePunch_Guy

Saitama just plucked all of its seaweed hair.

• November 9, 2015 at 12:06 amUrahara

Seriously people , Saitama has neurological issues !!! If he reported that he defeated that monster he could’ve easily been a top ten class A right now
    instead he goes around looking for purse snatchers …

• November 9, 2015 at 3:58 amTitanAnteus

But he doesn’t know what’s hard and what’s easy.
      He thinks it’s a common scrublord.

• November 9, 2015 at 3:59 amTitanAnteus

Also. There are no witnesses.

• November 9, 2015 at 8:29 amBamboo Blade Cat

Hey, he was more concerned with getting his hands on that high quality kombu!

• November 9, 2015 at 3:48 amBeedle

I like how well Tatsumaki transitioned from black-and-white pages to the colored screen.

• November 9, 2015 at 3:55 ampokpokza

i feel like Tatsumaki is too tall in the anime , I guess we will find out better when she stand in the floor with everyone

• November 9, 2015 at 8:35 amBamboo Blade Cat

• November 9, 2015 at 3:13 pmrandom viewer

• November 10, 2015 at 9:50 amHunter-Wolf

Actually the biggest joke this episode is that Saitama is in fact the terrifying monster whom everyone is talking about, all the destruction we saw this episode wad done by him in previous fights and the funniest part is that he doesn’t realize it nor does the Heroes Association, it seems he doesn’t even realize he lives in a ghost town… It was one of those “Oh shit” moments when i realized that the ghost town is a actually the part where Saitama lives, suprised no one mentioned this.

Also Mustache dude was pretty cool.

• November 10, 2015 at 12:41 pmAlexander Morou

I’m just guessing, but it’s entirely likely the town deserted, not due to the frequent monster attacks, but due to Saitama defeating them and killing most of the populace, or terrifying them while saving them.

After all, the other A-class heroes thought the aftermath with Saitama was another monster, and they didn’t seem to want to meet it.

• November 10, 2015 at 8:02 pmMincemaker

I’m thinking that it goes this way. The town residents moved out because of frequent monster attacks. Saitama, who can defeat these monsters, is the only resident. He onepunched the monsters, leaving behind remains that become the basis of rumours to other monsters about a really strong entity living in that particular town. So the monsters, who do not know any better, all come in droves, seeking a challenge or a leader, all of whom got onepunched. This then lend credence to the rumour which encourages even stronger monsters to come pay a visit, who also got onepunched.

The cycle continues. Residents don’t want to stay there because the monsters who come are always stronger than the last and the monsters themselves all get onepunched.

• November 10, 2015 at 10:05 pmHunter-Wolf

It’s more likely terrifying them while saving them, although I’d say his overpowered attacks and fights (like with the Giant) caused some serious collateral damage and probably caused civilan deaths that he isn’t aware of.

• November 11, 2015 at 4:23 pmLyfe

If someone would be kind enough to answer, does Saitama ever fight that Mario power star looking thing from 0:59 in the animes opening?

• November 20, 2015 at 9:06 amarewana

Not in the manga. It’s an anime original.