「このろくでもない戦いに決着を！」 (Ko Noroku Demonai Tatakai ni Ketchaku o!)
“A Conclusion to This Worthless Fight!”
Consider the time and place, Kazuma.
Surprisingly Strong, Unsurprisingly Dumb
This is about the time in this comedy series where I run out of things to say. This episode was a lot of fun, I laughed frequently, but it was in the ways we generally expect out of KonoSuba. That’s in no way a bad thing, it just leaves me with a shortage to say. The stupidity of Aqua, Megumin, and Darkness is all well understood, and Kazuma continues to tsukkomi like a boss—though I also got a kick out of him realizing he’d screwed himself out of backup by selling Mitsurugi’s sword, hah! What surprised me was how strong Kazuma’s team ended up being. Megumin, sure, she’s situationally useful, and we knew Darkness was built like a brick shithouse, but I sometimes forget that Aqua is actually pretty damn powerful. Her early Turn Undeads against Verdia were great! I just forget because she’s so lovably stupid the rest of the time.
Welcome to Adventuring With Aqua
Aqua flooding Verdia so much that she spent their entire reward + an extra 40 million eris wasn’t a surprise. If anything, it was too predictably delivered, even if it was necessary to keep Kazuma from becoming a (filthy rich) hikki-NEET. It really enforced how much trouble adventuring with Aqua is. Sure, she’s a goddess, yes, she’s powerful, and yeah, she’s even cute, but she’s also the biggest element holding Kazuma back/pushing him forward. Poor guy. At least I can’t feel too bad for him, since Kazuma is definitely not the good guy here. That title goes to Megumin and Darkness. Yes, the explosion fetishist and the masochist. It’s a crazy ‘ol world, as Kazuma rightly realizes.
Also, did I miss some foreshadowing about why water was the dullahan’s weakness? That felt like it came from nowhere. If I actually watched this show for the fights I’d be annoyed, but since I don’t, it’s merely puzzling. As long as I can see Megumin blow things up, I’m happy, and she’s also happy too. Everyone’s happy, except whoever she blows up, but screw them.
tl;dr: @StiltsOutLoud – The battle vs the dullahan goes exactly as you’d expect, except Aqua is useful. Then she screws it all up, hah! #konosuba 06
- “I need something big and hard, or I just can’t endure it.” Megumiiiiin!
- Both Amamiya Sora (Aqua’s seiyuu) and Kayano Ai (Darkness’ seiyuu) were ON this episode. The others were no slouches, but especially these two.
- Aqua immediately nukes the boss. I think Megumin is rubbing off on her.
- They’re full-on Sauron-ing this shit.
- Stilts’ fiction update: In anticipation of my next novel coming out soon™, I put my first book, Wage Slave Rebellion, on sale. It’s $0.99 at the moment, though on Friday it’ll go up to $1.99, and after Saturday it’ll go back to its usual price. If you’ve ever thought of giving my book a try, act fast. Also, maybe tell your friends? Referrals are always nice. I’ll love you all either way.
My first novel, Wage Slave Rebellion, is available now. (More info—now in paperback!) Sign up for my email list for a FREE sequel novella. Over at stephenwgee.com, the last four posts: The problem with character development episodes, Star Wars: The Force Awakens – The Conclusion, What Star Wars: The Force Awakens did wrong, and What Star Wars: The Force Awakens did right.