Fruits Basket (2019) – 06 »« Fruits Basket (2019) – 04

Fruits Basket (2019) – 05

「勘違いをしていました」 (Kanchigai wo Shiteimashita)
“I’ve Been Fooling Myself”

I was just thinking that we might be a little past due for a heart-wrenching moment.

Man, what a fantastic episode! With plenty of emphasis on both the past and present, I absolutely loved how the plot tied in Kyoko (Tohru’s mom) and her relationship with Tohru. Between the slick cut using the tea kettle to having Kyo echo some of her words to Tohru in the present, it’s honestly a damn shame that she isn’t a larger part of the story. That said, we did get a closer look at what kind of person she was in her younger days and the stigma that was associated with her and probably leaked over onto Tohru. Hopefully we’ll get to see or hear more about Kyoko’s exploits as the series continues.

If I had to pick my favorite moment from this week’s episode though, it’d have to be the exact moment you realized it was Tohru’s grandpa that slapped the shit out of his grandson. Depicted as an elderly man who was just going along with the flow, I was so happy to see he’s actually more aware and alert of his surroundings than he lets on. That and his mini speech about giving Tohru the freedom she was looking for got the waterworks flowing a bit. Because as much as it was for Tohru, you can’t ignore the fact that he indirectly told Tohru just how much she’s like her mom. Sure it may not be a spitting image, but based on what went down I think it’s pretty clear that he clearly understood what kind of person Kyoko was and understood just what Tohru needed. God, I’m starting to get a little teary eyed just thinking about the scene!

Overall, not too shabby of an episode! Minus a few really corny moments like Yuki literally appearing in a stranger’s house or Shigure having to really push Yuki and Kyo’s buttons to have them get off their butts, I was loving every moment watching Tohru deal with a difficult situation in her life. That and I have to give praise to the writers for crafting such an engaging scenario that managed to play out in a single episode. In any case, I’ll catch you guys next week where it looks like we’re going to see some more of Hana-chan and Uo-chan — something that I can’t wait to see. See you then!

May 4, 2019 at 7:15 pm
  • May 4, 2019 at 11:07 pmChisel

The scene where gramp’s stands up for Tohru and she breaks down saying how she shouldn’t want more definitely got me teary eyed. Man I am absolutely loving this show.

• May 5, 2019 at 1:06 amWorldwidedepp

i change my word of this anime being an “Otome” one. I change it to “hit the waters” of the watchers.. It did play not the “emotion” card like an Pro

• May 5, 2019 at 1:06 amWorldwidedepp

Clannad is not far away

• May 5, 2019 at 1:41 amRedRocket

Yes show hit emotion button well. Will take a lot more build up to hit Clannad level after all that was near the last part of the second season.

Yes Gramps was doing the out of it act to get along with the rest of the family who seam not the best people. Playing dumb smart there.

I quite sure that if her family was nice people it would have been much rougher for Tohru to want to leave.

Some seam to not like Tohru because she is not “interesting” I think they are forgetting the straight man role in a story the bounces from comedy to drama. The straight man is quite important yet it is easy to think they are just in the way unless you remove them and find out that they are a key part of the interactions.

• May 5, 2019 at 2:09 amsosbrigade1991

leave it to that insert song to karate chop me in the damn throat. this show is gonna destroy me and honestly I can’t wait.

• May 5, 2019 at 6:55 amGuardian Enzo

Heh.

If you guys are losing it now, stock up on Kleenex stock because it’s gonna be a messy ride and we ain’t even left the driveway yet.

• May 5, 2019 at 5:02 pmFabio

This is making me wanting to read the whole manga again for the 20th time….
    I hate having to wait for new episodes.

• May 6, 2019 at 2:16 pmApril A

Please tell me the name of the insert song for episode 5 of fruits basket. I really want it.

• May 8, 2019 at 6:08 amaiikyo

I literally soaked in tears while watching this episode at work.

• May 17, 2019 at 2:17 pmApril A

Just watched episode 7 of Fruits basket it was awesome. I got to see Hatori my favorite character. I just love him ????????????????????????????. Fruits Basket and Hatori rules!!!