Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen – 01 »« Shinchou Yuusha: Kono Yuusha ga Ore Tueee Kuse ni Shinchou Sugiru – 01

Houkago Saikoro Club – 01

OP Sequence

OP: 「Present Moment」 by Tomita Miyu

「知らない世界」 (Shiranai Sekai)
“A New World”

Houkago Saikoro Club is the story of three cute girls who do a cute thing: in this case, playing board games. There’s Miki (Kouno Marika), the shy girl who’s bad at having fun. There’s Aya (Miyashita Saki), the energetic girl who doesn’t think much and is clingy. And there’s Midori (Tomita Miyu) the class rep who’s a stickler for rules but secretly has a heart of gold. I’m not going to talk much about Miki because honestly, she’s fine, but I’m too damn old seasoned for another turn at the “shy girl’s struggles” roulette. The first episode story around her was told well, it is what it is on the surface and not much deeper, ’nuff said.

Likewise, the other two girls are mostly what they seem. I do hold a fondness for Aya-chan, as I also find getting lost to be an excellent way to learn a new city and happen across some fun. If you’ve never tried it, I highly endorse it (in safe areas/cities/situations, of course). Serendipidity is a wonderful thing. I also liked Midori lapsing back into Kansai-ben when they won. Was it expected? Oh my yes, I saw it coming a mile away. But she’s a good girl, and I love me some board games nerdery.

Which is what this show is really all about! Hougako Saikoro Club is like watching Wil Wheaton’s TableTop with cute anime girls. It’s like Dagashi Kashi only not as funny (first season/so far, at least). You watch it because you want to pick out board games you’ve played in the background of an anime. Is that Codenames I see?? I’ve played that! Ahh, sweet validation.

The comparisons to Wil Wheaton’s TableTop & Dagashi Kashi were deliberate, because the primary joy is in learning about new games. Did you know Marrakech is a real game? I didn’t either, but now it’s in my board game wish list because I have a disease, and the only cure is the sweat embrace of death. But buying another board game beats back the dark tide for a time, and this show is giving my that fix. *shoots custom d6′s right into his veins* Ahhh, that’s the good stuff.

*Ahem*

My point is, the real joy in this show is in the board games. Do you like board games? Watch this series in proportion to how much you like board games. The math on that isn’t easy, but it is simple. I doubt I’ll continue blogging it, but I will be watching it, so let’s roll the dice and see how this one turns out together.

Random thoughts:

• “Every game I play, I play for real. Even if my opponent is a child or a high school girl, I don’t hold back!” Cliched scary shopkeeper is my hero. I subscribe to this rule ruthlessly. Do you know how many years I spent getting whooped by my parents and older brother at games? Well the shoe is on the other foot now. It is *I* who is the master, and all young children in the family who fall prey to a board game with me will suffer until they grow strong enough to triumph. MuahahaHAHA!!

My novels are available now! Wage Slave Rebellion, Freelance Heroics) Sign up for my email list for updates, or follow me at stephenwgee.com for miscellaneous blogging.

ED Sequence

ED: 「On the Board」 by Kouno Marika, Miyashita Saki, Tomira Miyu

October 3, 2019 at 12:37 am
  • October 3, 2019 at 1:09 amworldwidedepp

An Anime about Tabletop Games?

• October 3, 2019 at 3:05 pmJerry

Ugh, we’re so disappointed.

We were hoping for an indepth discovery of the history, lineage, cultural significance, economics, etc. of famous games.

You know; Chess, Othello, Go, Monopoly, Chutes and Ladders…

Instead …. what are these games?

Carpets?

So you’re telling us we’re not going to get to see Dungeons and Dragons, Risk, or Battleship??? (hey, my kids love Battleship, and I still love playing).

• October 3, 2019 at 3:10 pmWanderer

This series appears to be an exploration of the many many many many many many MANY bajillions of board and other such games out there. Just because a game isn’t famous doesn’t mean it isn’t good.

• October 3, 2019 at 9:15 pmworldwidedepp

So you read disappointment in my words? Interesting

• October 3, 2019 at 9:31 pmJerry

No, me and the wife.

• October 3, 2019 at 11:58 pmStilts

There’s tons of awesome board games people haven’t heard of! While I wouldn’t mind a D&D or Risk episode myself, I’m all in for hearing about a ton of ones I’ve never heard of before. That’s why TableTop was good, and hopefully why this will be too.

Which is to say, don’t be disappointed because it’s a different thing than what you wanted it to be. That’s not its fault. As a writer who’s gotten 1-star reviews because someone thought I was writing Z when I was really writing A, I can tell you how frustrating that can be.

• October 3, 2019 at 3:12 amunit00kai

i hope final is them playing hTwilight Imperium

• October 3, 2019 at 4:17 amKinai

Yes, it is codename. The basic one, it seems.

Oh! I will watch it. No doubt, yesterday I read all the translated manga chapters.

By now it is one game by chapter. But I know boardgames with very complicated rules, so I dont know how far they are going to go.

• October 3, 2019 at 6:03 amDarklord

OMG, anime about board games…my latest obsession!!!

I will definitely check it out…hopefully I will see some of my favorites.

• October 3, 2019 at 6:33 amKinai

Which ones are your favourite?

• October 3, 2019 at 1:50 pmDarklord

Terraforming Mars, Scythe, VAST: The Crystal Caverns, Clank, Tokaido, Root, Wingspan, TIME Stories, 7 Wonders, Everdell and many others

Some of them are more obscure so I don’t expect to see them in this kind of show – more likely we’ll see some more popular family games such as Ticket to Ride and Catan.

• October 3, 2019 at 11:58 pmStilts

Ooo, my kanojo and I were just looking at Everdell yesterday. Good to know, good to know!

• October 3, 2019 at 6:58 amAngelus

I loved the Kyoto locations (I’ve even sat on the bench that Aya was sitting on in Kamogawa Delta Park near the start), but apart from that it didn’t do much for me. I guess I’m not really interested enough in board games.

• October 3, 2019 at 3:07 pmWanderer

Stilts, you got Aya and Miki’s names mixed up. Miki is our shy introvert and Aya is the genki girl.

• October 3, 2019 at 3:11 pmWanderer

PS: I’m hoping to see the girls play some Three Dragon Ante at some point.

• October 4, 2019 at 12:01 amStilts

Fixed, though I think it makes my point for how replacement level Shy-chan is.

• October 3, 2019 at 3:09 pmgrayne

What is you guys’ favourite board game? (Curious to learn about ones new to me)

Mine: Cathedral

• October 3, 2019 at 3:29 pmDarklord

Hard to choose just one (see above) but if I have to I will say 7 Wonders. I’ve played it so many times and it never gets boring to me.

But if you want a less-known one, I will go with VAST: The Crystal Caverns. It’s a really unique, asymmetric game where each player not only has different powers or abilities, but plays under completely different rules than the others and has a different winning condition.

• October 4, 2019 at 12:06 amStilts

Pandemic Legacy (season 1 & season 2) provided some of the best sessions and best memories of any board games I’ve ever played. Ditto to D&D and other tabletop RPGs.

I’m big into the narratives, y’all.

As for games with more replay value, I love me some cooperative games, so Forbidden Island is up there. Though had some real good times with Tortuga 1667 and Secret Hitler too!

• October 3, 2019 at 6:38 pmPasserby

Oi. You’re stealing my bit.

• October 4, 2019 at 12:02 amStilts

Get back in your cage, demon. I won’t have you deceiving these good people with your foul tongue.

• October 4, 2019 at 2:03 amPasserby

Hisssss

• October 3, 2019 at 7:12 pmPrimeHector

I am watching this becuase imouto sae filled me with an interest in board games anime.

• October 4, 2019 at 8:38 amArche

The fact that these are real board games is more than enough to sell me. It’ll be cool if I end up learning about a game that interests me enough to look for IRL.

• October 7, 2019 at 4:56 pmAtalla

I’m glad I’m not the only one considering buying a game about drugs after watching an anime of it.

I hope we get to see Azul, Catan, or my favorite, Photosynthesis.