Kandagawa Jet Girls – 03 »« Hoshiai no Sora – 01, 02

No Guns Life – 02

「拡張体遠隔操作装置」 (Kakuchoutai enkaku sousa souchi)
“Extended Remote-Control Device”

Now I know what you’re thinking – could this follow-up episode possibly be as great as the first? Well, there wasn’t quite as much train punching this time around, but there was some one-sided mafia good thrashing, which is always great to see. The animation and music continue to be topnotch, so it seems likely that the quality of this Mad House production will display a consistent amount of effort for the entire two-core run. This entire Fall season has provided a large choice of fantastic shows to watch, and No Guns Life still stands out.

Look at your protagonist, now back over here – Juuzo just stormed a train and knocked out a gun-wielding nun.

Look at your protagonist, now back over here – he’s robbing a vending machine.

Most of the conflict this time around came from two places. Mainly, Juuzo couldn’t find his favorite brand of medicated cigarettes, and there’s a possibility that the boy he rescued is the missing son of the CEO of Berühren Corp. This was confirmed by their representative Hugh Cunningham (Ueda Youji), a smarmy and amusingly petty thug that came up with a surprisingly effective (for a tick) ploy to bully and weaken Juuzo.

Exposition dump aside, systematically collecting his favorite brand of cigarettes from all over the city and then offering them to him in exchange for the boy once his withdrawal symptoms had hit was rather brilliant. Even Team Rocket has a genuinely good idea every now and then. In addition to Cunningham, Mary Steinberg (Numakura Munami) was introduced, a young Extended doctor who charges reasonable prices to her clients and doesn’t give out cheap or faulty parts like a back-alley quack. She’s friends with Juuzo, giving him a place to hide from the Security Bureau, and has enough personality in her pinky to power a two-core. The bags and shadows under her eyes suggest that she’s always working on her projects and patients, yet her sense of humor never lets up, even coaxing several new adorable expressions from Juuzo. He really is such a wonderful dork. She also seems to think that Juuzo is in the market for a new partner since gun slave units always work in pairs, and Tetsurou has nowhere to go…

If that’s true, though, where is Juuzo’s old partner? And why doesn’t he remember ever being completely organic? There are still so many questions to this brewing mystery. My only hope is that the various villains of this series either collaborate or condense because at this point the Kyusei Group, Berühren, and the Security Bureau appear to be different faces to the same coin. And, no, coins don’t have three faces, but you know what I’m getting at.

October 20, 2019 at 9:21 am
  • October 20, 2019 at 9:46 amchaos

Almost missed out on this show because of the main character’s design (gun head is just sill). The first episode blew me away and the second one just continued the hype train. Very interested in seeing where this goes and more info on Juuzo’s history.

• October 20, 2019 at 11:00 amChris hall

• October 20, 2019 at 11:00 amLila

“What e ridiculous show” is what I thought in the beginning when I saw the MC, but “He really is such a wonderful dork.” I totally have to agree!:D A character that I could follow the whooole time.

• October 20, 2019 at 11:03 amLila

:/ Now I have to reply to myself…I didn’t think the episode was as strong as the last one – I didnt like the design of the bad guy, I also disliked the way the issue with the extensions is explained – at least the story realized it itself “You probably already know…” Doesn’t change that the story is lovable and interesting though, just like the characters are.

• October 20, 2019 at 11:19 amworldwidedepp

Interesting. I keep an eye on this

• October 20, 2019 at 11:20 amworldwidedepp

Just Imagine Appleseed and you okay with this Gun Face MC, right?

• October 20, 2019 at 11:49 amworldwidedepp

It came to me:

No Guns Life is a mix:

- Appleseed (The MC)
      - Gangster (Cigaretts and Styles)
      - Ghost in the Shell (Hacking)

Seems like the Author here like this kind of World

• October 24, 2019 at 6:54 pmStars

This is very true. I’m a huge fan of science fiction and noir-esque stories. Unfortunately, life’s caught up with me a bit, so I’m taking some time off from blogging, but I’m glad this show seems to be garnering interest

• October 20, 2019 at 1:19 pmAngelus

No matter how strong you are, old dude Newton (specifically his Third Law of Motion) says you can’t stop a train dead in its tracks by just standing there. Unless you are using magic, of course. So is this a magical robot show? I think not.

• October 20, 2019 at 2:16 pmLila

Hmm, I don’t really want to apply physics to an anime where the main dude has a gun as his head XD But just for fun: The third law is about action – reaction. A force hitting a target results in the same force – but a force is defined as mass*acceleration (vector). So if e.g. the mass is big enough, the resulting force has basically no effect on the movement of the target. Which means, yes, THEORETICALLY, you could do that. You could also reach the same result by “accelerating” into the opposite direction with the resulting movement being near 0, feel free to imagine the method. Anyways, you don’t need magic. But for this show, you need Newton even less XD

• October 21, 2019 at 3:43 amworldwidedepp