To LOVE-Ru – 12 »« To LOVE-Ru – 10

To LOVE Ru   11   31 To LOVE Ru   11   32 To LOVE Ru   11   33
To LOVE Ru   11   34 To LOVE Ru   11   35 To LOVE Ru   11   36

「金色の闇」 (Konjiki no Yami)
“Konjiki no Yami”

Next Episode:
「戦慄!体育祭」 (Seiritsu! Taiikusai)
“Shudder! The Sports Festival”

To LOVE Ru   11   Preview 01 To LOVE Ru   11   Preview 02 To LOVE Ru   11   Preview 03
To LOVE Ru   11   Preview 04 To LOVE Ru   11   Preview 05 To LOVE Ru   11   Preview 06

Impressions:
So I’ve been hearing “Yami-chan” a lot lately in the reader comments and having watched this episode, I can sort of see what the appeal of her character is. If I were to make a comparison, her somewhat naive and timid nature is similar to Kou‘s in Wagaya no Oinari-sama, which those of you following my coverage of that series will already know I’m quite fond of. Fukuen Misato does a really good job portraying Yami in that way, which is a bit of a pleasant surprise to me. I haven’t seen that many series Misato’s been in, but Yami’s character really contrasts her role as the “energetic” succubus Kurono Kurumu in Rosario to Vampire last season.

A minor mention of Lacospo, who’s played by Yamaguchi Kappei (Saotome Ranma in Ranma 1/2, Inuyashi in Inuyashi, Itabashi Wataru in Da Capo II) and yet another alien aspiring to be Lala’s fiancé. His character design reminds me of something out of the pages of Dragon Ball much like the Gi Buri did back in episode six, so I’m starting to wonder if Yabuki Kentarou (To LOVE-Ru original art creator) was inspired by Toriyama Akira (Dragon Ball creator) at all.

Finally, the scene where Zastin and Lala were playing a Deviluke version of rock-paper-scissors had me thinking about bear-hunter-ninja the entire time. Given how I have a friend who always brings up bear-hunter-ninja to settle things in an idiotic way (especially when alcohol is involved), I couldn’t help but laugh at that scene. Next time, it looks like there’ll be a sports festival with fellow students Saki, Yui, and Ren participating of course. I’m hoping we’ll see Yami again as well, but there isn’t any indication of that from the preview. =(

Cast:
- Yuuki Rito (結城 梨斗) / Watanabe Akeno (渡辺 明乃)
- Lala Satalin Deviluke (ララ・サタリン・デビルーク) / Tomatsu Haruka (戸松 遥)
- Sairenji Haruna (西連寺 春菜) / Yahagi Sayuri (矢作 紗友里)
- Konjiki no Yami (金色の闇) / Fukuen Misato (福圓 美里)
- Lacospo (ラコスポ) / Yamaguchi Kappei (山口 勝平)
- High school principal (校長先生) / Ogata Kenichi (緒方 賢一)
- Zastin (ザスティン) / Koyasu Takehito (子安 武人)
- Peke (ペケ) / Arai Satomi (新井 里美)
- Yuuki Mikan (結城 美柑) / Hanazawa Kana (花澤 香菜)
- Momioka Risa (籾岡 里沙) / Yuzuki Ryouka (柚木 涼香)
- Mikado Ryouko (御門 涼子) / Jou Masako (城 雅子)
- Irogama (イロガマ) / Konno Jun (金野 潤)
- Taiyaki store’s old man (たいやき屋のおやじ) / Matsuo Daisuke (松尾 大亮)

June 14, 2008 at 10:47 pm
  • June 14, 2008 at 10:57 pmW-General

A good comparison to Yami-chan?
    Easy, Eve from Black Cat. Can’t get more obvious than that. Hehe.

• June 14, 2008 at 11:01 pmdivine

@W-General:
    Seeing as both those series are from the same creator, I don’t doubt it. I haven’t gotten around to watching Black Cat yet (although it’s on my “To Watch” list), so I wasn’t in a good position to make that assessment. Thanks for pointing it out though. =)

• June 14, 2008 at 11:05 pmtylon

Yeah, she reminds me of Eve…
    Come to think of it, is Zastin strong?

• June 14, 2008 at 11:09 pmdivine

@tylon:
    Zastin seems pretty strong when he actually fights, but given how he always gets defeated in unexpected ways (e.g. this time jumping into a manhole), it’s hard to take him too seriously. It’s all part of his character I guess.

• June 14, 2008 at 11:12 pmAndy

YAMI-CHAN!!!!!!!!!! I want to eat her up~!!!

• June 14, 2008 at 11:24 pmAsuka

Don’t watch this show, but I have to say that Yami = Eve, even their abilities are identical as far as I can tell from the screencaps :/

• June 14, 2008 at 11:30 pmmundox

• June 14, 2008 at 11:30 pmBROOKLYN otaku

damn!! YEAH EVE!! ahhhh. . . . . think i’m gonna go to the archives and watch a little “early” episodes of black cat.

• June 14, 2008 at 11:33 pmasdas

doesnt that huy in the preview with black and white hair kind of look like blaze from megaman battle network

those silly people
    since when does having white hair make you cool?
    its just crying out that they have eXTREME stress issues

• June 14, 2008 at 11:36 pmMichael

Don’t you think the girl looks like eve from black cat? Can change her body into weapon, long blond hair…………omg they copied her

• June 14, 2008 at 11:38 pmdivine

Random question:
    Is Yami’s personality like Eve’s as well? i.e. kind of naive, timid, hates ecchi things, etc.

• June 14, 2008 at 11:40 pmKadian1364

I just have to say, not only is Bear-Hunter-Ninja simultaneously hilarious and awe-inspiring, the resolution quality in that Youtube video is AMAZING! (as noted by fellow viewers) Really top tier stuff.

Hmmm… I suppose I should make some comment about the show… I dunno, new girl looks like Fate from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha? ‘Cept Fate was flatter (pre-StrikerS).

• June 14, 2008 at 11:41 pmKadian1364

Oh yeah, Eve works too.

• June 15, 2008 at 12:16 amSilver

@Michael

Well, it’s from the same creator so it’s not that they copied her, it’s just the author wants to put her in there too for fun. Just like Kyoko as you will later see.

• June 15, 2008 at 12:23 amKadian1364

@Silver

If that’s true, it’s not a case of plagiarism, it’s transparently unoriginal and lazy!

• June 15, 2008 at 12:24 amNewprimus

There’s a good deal of Black Cat -> To-Love Ru crossing over like that. Yami is Eve. Kyouko comes out too. And I don’t think the anime will get that far, but Rito and Rinslet have a thing in common. ;)

• June 15, 2008 at 1:37 amRyggim

Just a little trivia, The artist for Black Cat and To Love Ru is one and the same, and making a somewhat cameo appearance is Eve as Yami in To Love Ru. I was expecting them to make use of Eve’s VA for Yami and Lo and Behold they did ^^

• June 15, 2008 at 3:30 amquigonkenny

Divine posted:
    “His character design reminds me of something out of the pages of Dragon Ball much like the Gi Buri did back in episode six, so I’m starting to wonder if Yabuki Kentarou (To LOVE-Ru original art creator) was inspired by Toriyama Akira (Dragon Ball creator) at all.”

Didn’t you catch the line in the first ep after she first shows Rito her tail, where she says “Just because I havbe a tail doesn’t mean I’ll transform when I see a full moon”? It’s in the manga rendition of that scene as well. The author is obviously a Toriyama fan.

• June 15, 2008 at 5:09 amSailor Enlil

Ack!
    Given the tuft of hair that can be seen, looks like Haruna’s yet going to be the grope victim again.

What the heck is going on here!?

• June 15, 2008 at 5:48 amFuruba

ahaha yay, finally -saves all yami/eve pics- XD i think ill just skip to see this ep when its subbed. im so behind in this series

• June 15, 2008 at 6:26 amWestlo

YAMI YAMI YAMI YAMI YAMI

• June 15, 2008 at 9:00 amdivine

@quigonkenny:
    Hmm, to be honest, I’m watching 20 anime series at the moment, plus some dramas, and on vacation, so yeah, I don’t recall that line. Thanks for the reminder though!

• June 15, 2008 at 10:45 amMelchior

You can’t really say they “copied” Eve, not only because they created her the first time, but it’s more like they just wanted to use Eve again. They even got Fukuen Misato to play her again.

They do it more than just with her too. “Burning Magical Girl Kyouko: I’m burning up with love!” was on the televisions in the manga from very early on, though I’m not sure if they’ve used it in the anime yet.

• June 15, 2008 at 10:54 amWhim

Anyone else feel like they spent a quarter of their budget animating the close-ups on Yami’s legs?

• June 15, 2008 at 1:36 pmdivine

@Melchior:
    Magical Girl Kyouko appeared in the previous episode and was listed in the credits as well:
    - Magical Kyouko (マジカル・キョーコ) / Chiba Chiemi (千葉 千恵巳)

Chiba Chiemi plays Sawada Mio in To LOVE-Ru and also Kirisaki Kyouko in Black Cat. So in other words, they casted the same seiyuu much like they did for Yami.

@Everyone:
    Personally, I see this re-use of characters as more of a homage to Black Cat fans than anything else. Having seen this done by other creators and remembering how cool it was to see (basically) the same character in another series, I get the impression that this was Yabuki Kentarou‘s intention, albeit this being more of a gut feeling than anything else. I mean, cameos are cool; if it’s something more than that, it’s even cooler as long as things don’t feel “recycled”.

• June 15, 2008 at 3:09 pmAnna-chan

yup like everyone said, she reminds me of Eve from Black Cat (my favorite character in the manga)

* One of the reasons i checked out this weeks episode (i read the manga … ) *

But EVE / YAMI == KAWAIII!!!!!!!!!!!

• June 15, 2008 at 7:35 pmPerson

We still don’t even know Yami’s actual name. SO it’s possible that Eve is just Eve. I’m glad they reused Eve though, she was the best part of Black Cat.

• June 16, 2008 at 3:16 amEve fan

I personally feel Eve is very different from Yami. Personality wise, they feel the same, but I dunno. It just somehow feels different. Eve in Black Cat is very insecure without Sven, and very mature… Perhaps Lala will play the role of Sven here…

• June 17, 2008 at 2:45 amUngas

when will Magical Witch Kyouko-chan come out? the time line is different from the manga
    (she even has fire powers too!!)

• June 17, 2008 at 11:07 amWhim

It’s pretty sad that this show is around 50% filler already. The manga’s should be far enough that it could have been 26 episodes of non-filler. I thought pretty lowly of this series when I started watching it so I read the manga to give it a fair chance. The manga’s so much better =/