A Message From Miyano Mamoru To Everyone: Married and Expecting a Child

A video message from Miyano Mamoru popped up over at Nico Nico Douga (reposted above, with the original here), announcing the release of his second single, “…Kimi he” 「…君へ」. Mamoru then goes on to make a couple of personal announcements, with the first being that his 25 year old self is now married and the second being that he’s expecting a child with his new wife. In his nearly 15 minute long personal announcement full of drawn out emotional pauses, Mamoru is almost moved to tears on several occasions, which made the whole thing quite awkward for me to watch/listen to. This sentiment was further compounded when he revealed that he was diagnosed with the possibility of being infertile a little while ago. With Mamoru claiming that he absolutely loves children, this naturally came as a huge shock to him and also gave him doubts about being able to get married. As per his original announcement though, he was able to conceive a child after all — a miracle in his eyes. Evidently, this is a huge life-turning moment for Mamoru, enough so that he felt he owed it to his fans to make a formal announcement about it here and in written form as well.

With that said, he didn’t make mention of who his new wife is, but the fact that these two announcements come hand-in-hand made me question if the marriage came first or the pregnancy. Joking aside, Mamoru has shown a very emotional side of him that I had no idea about, in addition to revealing a lot of personal information (with the infertility taking tops in that regard). In my opinion, neither are easy things to tell the world when you consider how he’s putting himself out there and subject to public scrutiny. Infertility aside, I was under the impression that seiyuus (particularly female seiyuus) aren’t allowed to let their personal relationships slip into the limelight as it could be potentially bad PR. Perhaps marriages are seen differently, but a lot of fans still “cried” when Chiba Saeko announced that she got married. Luckily though, public reaction seems to be positive and supportive so far in Mamoru’s case, based on the Nico Nico Douga comments.

As many people are aware, Miyano Mamoru currently stars as Setsuna F. Seiei in Gundam 00 S2, Kiryuu Zero in Vampire Knight Guilty, Death the Kid in SOUL EATER, Fuwa Shou in Skip Beat!, and Kuro in KUROZUKA. His previous big roles include Yagami Light in Death Note and Suou Tamaki in Ouran High School Host Club. Despite his new outlook in life and how he seems intent on devoting it to his upcoming child, Mamoru tells everyone that he plans to continue doing his best in his roles as an actor. He’s become a huge name in the seiyuu world as of late (seen by his current starring roles), so there’s nothing left to do but wish him and his new family the best.

-divine
…learned that YouTube still has a 10 minute cap and wondering who Miyano Mamoru’s new wife is.

December 1, 2008 at 7:24 pm
  • December 1, 2008 at 7:42 pmLaura

Congratulations, Mamoru~^^ Now I wonder who the wife is though… I’m sure there’ll be some rumours going around soon…

• December 1, 2008 at 7:42 pmAnonymous

Wife’s cheating on him.

LOL infertile guy getting wife pregnant.

• December 1, 2008 at 7:48 pmPhoenix Seikun

Congrats Mamoru-san.

• December 1, 2008 at 7:52 pmshirokiryuu

Congrats Miyano Mamoru! =) I’m happy that things are going well for him!

• December 1, 2008 at 8:32 pmLulu FTW

Congrats to him, just hope that nothing goes wrong, lol.

• December 1, 2008 at 8:45 pmElena

What a cutie…his wife is a very lucky woman.

• December 1, 2008 at 8:55 pmblinx01

He’s probably my VA, especially after his amazing performance as Yagami Light in Death Note.
    While I understood absolutely nothing from that video, the summary fills me in, so all the best to the guy.
    Perhaps this may mean a short break from his job when the baby comes, so I intend to savour all his current roles, especially Death The Kid, which shows his versatility at what he does.

• December 1, 2008 at 9:06 pmoTAKu

No, he’s not single anymore! Not that I had a chance in the first place. But congrats to him and his wife. He’s definately one of my top male seiyuus.

• December 1, 2008 at 9:07 pmkureejii

Uhhh now it feels wrong to fangirl him…but whatever!
    Congrats Miyano Mamoru~

• December 1, 2008 at 9:17 pmSOSAnimeBoy

Quote -Anonymous-: “Wife’s cheating on him. LOL infertile guy getting wife pregnant.”

I ROFLMAO at this comment.

• December 1, 2008 at 9:29 pmrainnydaiis

Hope it works out for him in the end. Wouldn’t want to see someone who has such talent go away.

• December 1, 2008 at 9:41 pmDarklord

Congratulations are certainly in order…though I don’t know what to think of this whole announcement, especially the infertility issue – it’s not usually a thing one would share with the world. I hope it’s not just a publicity stunt.

He still remains one of my favorite VA, though I can’t help but think of him differently now.

• December 1, 2008 at 9:44 pmShinn Agami

Lol. I wonder what will happen if he roleplays as one of his acts while raising his child? Who will it be?
    - The overprotective Tamaki from Ouran?
    - The Symmetry crazy Death the Kid?
    - etc…

• December 1, 2008 at 9:44 pmmetalsnakezero

It was really teaching.

• December 1, 2008 at 9:52 pmHaesslich

Damn, that’s pretty cool. We’ll see how things go for him, although for some reason I’m trying to imagine him pulling a Tamaki-style pout and failing…

• December 1, 2008 at 10:19 pmDDRJas

wife = Marina :D

jk jk

grats!

• December 1, 2008 at 10:34 pmAiko

O_O WOW…
    This really shocked me! But i’m so happy for him! I’m sure he will be a wonderful father~ and and excellent husband too.
    He made me smile all throguh his announcement, i’m glad he takes the time to give this typoe of message to his fans, and that he’s receiving positive comments.
    Now… Who is she?! I’m dying to know!

• December 1, 2008 at 10:39 pmAeldt

whoa divine, when did you come back?

• December 1, 2008 at 10:53 pmPachi

wow no me quede en impactado o.O

• December 1, 2008 at 10:58 pmThe Sojourner

ORE WA GUNDAM NI UH… OTOU-SAN NI NARU.

• December 1, 2008 at 10:58 pmThe Sojourner

[ID SOJOURNER]

ORE WA GUNDAM NI UH… OTOU-SAN NI NARU.

• December 1, 2008 at 11:03 pmShiroki

Mamo~~~!!! Omdettou gozaimsu~~~!!!

I wonder who is the lucky one is ^^

• December 1, 2008 at 11:07 pmSaku

Don’t see why people think about him being open about the infertility situation is weird. Famous people have been open about this kind of thing and even more stupid crap.
    I’m very happy for him, he deserves happiness. And I’m glad that even with his problem, he’s able to receive a blessing. ;_; @ his video!!

• December 1, 2008 at 11:09 pmcutemi2

mabuhay ang bagong kasal

• December 1, 2008 at 11:36 pmRaine

Thanks SO MUCH for the minute translation. Miyano Mamoru is my favorite Seiyuu, and I am a bit of a fangirl but more than overjoyed to hear this news! I’ve read in many fan translations about his wife and child, but nothing of the infertility, so it was great when I learned something new! I didn’t expect RC to have something about Miyano since you are all guys (I assume), and Miyano is a bit of a girly subject. I do wish to know his wife also and the child’s sex/name/etc xD It’d be nice if he shared, but I’m sure the publicist wouldn’t be ‘OK’ with that.

Thanks so much again for translating! I appreciate it so much, and always enjoy all of the groups efforts to review anime!

• December 2, 2008 at 12:01 amrlime

I am in denial. T_T

• December 2, 2008 at 12:06 amFH

Congrats to Miyano-san, he is one of my favorite voice actor, it’s really a good news for him. I hope he will have a happy family, to accept thing like that he is a very brave man to me.

:”> I’m a little sad too, he’s now a married man, but at least Setsuna is still single and legal ;)).

• December 2, 2008 at 12:15 amgeorge

welcome of fatherhood, Miyano-san!

• December 2, 2008 at 1:02 amRain

Congrats Mamo-chan!
    Even though I really wanna know who’s the lucky lady, I guess that’s not possible. Seiyuu tends to keep their private life.. private. Heck, I’ve never seen/heard anything about other seiyuu spouse & children ^^

• December 2, 2008 at 1:57 amGod~Knows~

NEWSFLASH:”tamaki’s voice got married” & “fan-girls in shock”
    lol…

• December 2, 2008 at 2:36 amchoco

what the…hell? why would any celebrity want to talk about his/her personal life in front of millions?

• December 2, 2008 at 3:02 amhyschara

Quote DDRJas : “wife = Marina”

omggg xDDDD please nonononono xDD

• December 2, 2008 at 3:16 amnaixil

oh gosh, i can just imagine him as tamaki. XD

congrates Miyano-san!

• December 2, 2008 at 4:04 amHikarii

Shock !

• December 2, 2008 at 4:35 amC,C.

He got Marina Ismail pregant.

• December 2, 2008 at 5:51 amOni

I don’t think he reads this site, but w/e.

I enjoy him repeating “Setsuna F. Seiei” every 5 seconds in Gundam and loved him in Death Note, hope he continues to do VA.

• December 2, 2008 at 6:29 amjigokshojo

a man is infertile because his sperm count is too low, and he can’t make a baby within
    a year of constant “trying”.
    so there are 2 possible explanations to this: 1. he loaded that girl up so badly, that she overflooded with cum, like a litre of cum. (talking about bukake)
    2. his girlfriend , just went to another guy, cause girls want babys, right thats WHY they are girls for: to make baby’s.

my personal thoughts to this are that his dick was just wayyy to small. like a lot japs have,
    so you can’t do much with that either.

lastly, i don’t really care about voice actors, the big point to me is that i can understand what they are talking about. so i don’t care who the voice is. like a lot people hate gundam00 dubbed but i don’t give a fuck. i can understand the story so thats wat really matters to me. these VA get waaaayyy to much undeserved attention.

• December 2, 2008 at 6:41 amayumi08

Miyano’s one of my fav. seiyuu and it’s lovely that he got married with a child on the way. Hope he’ll still continuing voice acting cos he’s got one of smexiest voice around.

• December 2, 2008 at 6:48 amoutcast

So when famous people get diagnosed something like one ear becoming deaf it’s ok to go on a 15 minute emotional video to show to the world?

Keep your private stuff private i reckon.

• December 2, 2008 at 7:47 amkindaichi

@outcast

This guy is just sharing his happy news to his beloved fans.Naturally when you are happy,you will want to share it to everyone. It’s not like this video is some sort of embarassing act.

• December 2, 2008 at 7:53 ambk201

man too much silence at least 5mins of it =x

• December 2, 2008 at 8:30 amMeowe

I really really liked Mamo chan so I’m torn between being a little sad and really happy for the guy. Congratulations Mamo, I hope he’ll be blessed with a good marriage and a happy life.

• December 2, 2008 at 8:35 amEri

Congratulations on Miyano Mamoru!

(T_T) although I can’t help but feel jealous of his wife!

• December 2, 2008 at 9:14 amlinkinstreet

Ore wa Gundam…
    Iie, Ore GA OTOU-SAN DATTA!!!!

• December 2, 2008 at 10:05 amSnehova

wow! so mamorou’s finally married … dats great … he deserves to live his life happily … um a question to japanese people can ‘Miyano’ be a first name too? or is just a family name?

• December 2, 2008 at 10:34 amBell

I think I’m gonna cry! I’m so happy for him!

• December 2, 2008 at 10:42 amRandom muser

That was oddly executed. I think he’s blown his image a little (unnecessarily).
    But congrats to him anyway.

• December 2, 2008 at 12:18 pmAnime Downloads

wow!
    congrats to him!!!
    he mustve been so happy!

• December 2, 2008 at 12:19 pmShippoyasha

Boy does he think a lot and ponder. The guy needs speech-training. heh

• December 2, 2008 at 2:21 pmDKCesia

I feel happy for him since he is my fav VA. I hope the baby will be a boy so that he can inheret Mamoru’s sexy voice.

• December 2, 2008 at 2:32 pmAki-chan

Hope that the baby is the boy too! (n_n)
    I’m shocked to know these but congrats~~
    Mamoru miyano is not single anymore!!! T_T

• December 2, 2008 at 2:59 pmSilentmanX

Congratulation Miyano Mamoru

• December 2, 2008 at 3:56 pmlinkinstreet

Fujoshi’s are woeful creatures

If they like him, they should be happy for him

• December 2, 2008 at 4:09 pmkasumi

That was kinda of a big shock to be honest..but I’m happy for him. Congratz miyano mamoru~^_^v

• December 2, 2008 at 5:18 pmNerroth

Maybe he just needed the Trans-Am to get the job done.

Or even the, um… O-riser?

“Mamoru, fertilising target!”

Anyway, congrats, and ganbatte!

• December 2, 2008 at 7:07 pmBobzorxD

LOL WHAT A DOUCHE!
    Watching the Japanese speak is sooo funny!!!!
    The tone of his voice changes so drastically and he does these weird head movements, its freakin retarded!
    He acts like a really gay guy would in america.

• December 3, 2008 at 5:06 amSnakechimera

dude, crazy Fujoshi women in Japan want his wife to have a miscarriage. Crazy fans aren’t so happy back in Japan. Personally, I think its pretty cool he has a child. Hope he has a good future.

• December 3, 2008 at 7:02 amCubanoman

how is going to be the childs name? setsuna? XD?

• December 3, 2008 at 10:20 amlinkinstreet

Iie, GUNDAM DATTA!!

• December 3, 2008 at 11:49 amKinny Riddle

To all those that call him crazy, gay, retarded, or whatever: WTF is your problem?

What is wrong with him wanting to share his happiness to the world? Even though it is private, it’s his goddamn freedom to share it, and why not? It shows he’s generous enough to want to tell the world he’s glad about it. It’s not like he’s moaning about how he’s lost his job or whatever.

I don’t understand why people like you can be so pissed about something so trivially joyous, I can’t help but think you guys are simply jealous and bitter. Grow up, and stop being so cynical for once, for f*ck’s sake. (OTOH, If he were to be moaning about his misfortunes in public, I’d probably join the dissing brigade myself in telling HIM to grow up. lol )

On a lighter note, congratulations to Miyano on managing to have a child against such odds. May you have a happy family life as well as continue on your successful career.

• December 3, 2008 at 1:49 pmhikaru_angels

Congraduation Miyano san! You ‘ll still remain as my fave seiyuu ever!

• December 6, 2008 at 10:21 amTokunaga_Lover

waoh..i was shocked…and i thought he’s still single~ XD

• December 10, 2008 at 2:29 amRinoa

I’ll admit I’m a bit jealous of the lucky lady who’s marrying him (I guess it’s just the fangirl in me) but congrats and good luck with his new family. :”D

• December 13, 2008 at 9:34 pmnanally

ni modo solo nos queda apoyaele pero MUERO DE GANAS POR SABER QUIEN ES LA AFORTUNADA MUJER

• December 22, 2008 at 11:43 amAnna

Yea, I just read about fujoshi and it really creeps me out although Mamoru’s marriage news sadden me. Anyway, i do hope that those fujoshi will come to their senses instead of threating or cursing at his wife. Now, I am just worried that Mamoru will stop being a seiyuu in order to protect his family from the fujoshi.

Anyway, fujoshi-san, please think about Mamoru’s future and his happiness instead of making him feel hurtful and sad. Hope you will understand this and be more supportive with his decisions.

• February 26, 2009 at 8:37 amLaura

Omg he was so nervous and all when he told he got married ! <3
    so cuute ! <3 biggest pause in his life i guess before he told that he was married and expecting a child. Loads of happiness to him ! He will always be our favourite seiyuu, right :D

• March 18, 2009 at 6:35 ametsukO

my Love is maRried!! but weLLL… i hOpe he’s haPPy with his new famiLy.. and this did’nt affect his career.. btw.. i Love his new aLbum!!:DD Go MAMO gO!! i’LLL always lOve yOu!

• May 19, 2009 at 10:01 amKumiko

I can’t believe I read this so late (I mean I knew he was married and his wife was pregnant but I hadn’t checked out the announcement)!
    Congrats, Mamo-chan!! I hope he has loads and loads of joy with his wife and child! Initially, his getting married did sadden me a little but my happiness for him and his wife overcomes all that. I just hope they can stay smiling forever and he continues to work as well as he does now!!

P.S. His public announcement of his infertility must have been really tough. But I’m glad things worked out. Hope nothing goes wrong!