One Piece – 449 »« One Piece – 447

One Piece   448   19 One Piece   448   20 One Piece   448   21
One Piece   448   22 One Piece   448   23 One Piece   448   24
One Piece   448   25 One Piece   448   26 One Piece   448   27
One Piece   448   28 One Piece   448   29 One Piece   448   30
One Piece   448   31 One Piece   448   32 One Piece   448   33
One Piece   448   34 One Piece   448   35 One Piece   448   36

「マゼランを止めろ!イワさん奥義炸裂」 (Mazeran o Tomero! Iwa-san Ōgi Sakuretsu)
“Stop Magellan! Ivan-san Unleashes His Secret Attack”

The clock’s ticking with only four hours left until Ace’s execution. Everyone frantically runs up the levels of the infamous underwater prison, Impel Down. However, because of the extremely slow pace of the anime, we’ve only reached level two. This episode was especially draggy with the three minute preview and obvious staring contests It doesn’t plague One Piece too much usually, but this week’s was pretty bad. I’m assuming they purposely dragged it out to follow each chapter’s cliffhanger accordingly, or at least to avoid cutting off any drama or action in the middle in upcoming episodes. See, it’s all about the plan..

The entire group finally catches up with Buggy and co. who have been busy trying to escape at their slow meager pace. One thing I can’t tell is if the anime still gives the same feeling of rush and chaos the manga depicted so well. I thought that was pretty fun to feel, the thrill of escaping with everyone, as if you were actually there. Though the anime being slow paced and weekly makes it harder to feel that flow, so you get what you get.

Anywho, last week I thought they would’ve amped up the animation this episode, with the whole movie 6 style animation director (who was responsible for Gurren Lagann, ep 5 of FLCL as well as Dead Leaves). However, though the animation was pretty good when Ivankov turned himself back into a man, the fight itself was mediocre, without much highlights anywhere else in the episode either. I guess for a manga reader like me, episodes like this are a tad uneventful with no real action scenes.

I’ve always thought Ivankov’s power was a bit cheap, with unlimited “DEATH WINK’s” to use. Everytime he uses it, I feel like eventually his eye’s going to start to bleed like an overused Amaterasu, but it never happens. They never really explain his power either, so it’s kind of “convenience” I guess? Probably one of the biggest issues with One Piece is that it seems power levels are mainly determined by fruit. A prime example would be Kizaru, with his Pika Pika no Mi (Glint Glint Fruit), which gives him an incredible advantage. Now the main question would be, did he get his admiral position after he ate the fruit or before? I guess one could argue that all the admirals may have used their own strength to find the fruit, or the government awarded them the power after they placed into that position. If you haven’t noticed, almost all high level positions contain a user with a Logia type, so I doubt it’s a coincidence of some sort.

However, if you throw Shanks in the mix, it just doesn’t make much sense. He’s been heavily implied to be one of the strongest characters in the series, and he doesn’t even have a devil fruit power. His Haki is definitely well developed as it’s on par with Whitebeard which was demonstrated a while back. Again, I feel if and whenever Haki will be explained, it will put a much needed explanation on how everyone’s power is measured.

Interestingly enough, I remember feeling “oh crap is Magellan going to capture them again?” around this time so perhaps next week will be the start of that. Though it seems to be more of the same as this week, hopefully they at least get to level one eh?

Note: Like last week, regarding spoilers, please use the spoiler tags, or don’t write it at all please. Hopefully this will be the last time I’ll need to bring this up.

One Piece   448   Preview 01 One Piece   448   Preview 02 One Piece   448   Preview 03
April 27, 2010 at 12:23 am
  • April 27, 2010 at 12:37 amAznCoffee

I could swear this guy died a long time ago. >__>

• April 27, 2010 at 12:40 amKiiragi

lmfao, didn’t someone say that last episode?

• April 27, 2010 at 12:41 ammonster

i know what you mean lol

• April 27, 2010 at 12:47 amJaysus

Well… Shanks doesn’t just have Haki, he has the “King’s Disposition” highest level haki.

Remember, just by going onto Whitebeard’s ship, half of Whitebeard’s crew passed out. It’s also supposed to negate all Devil Fruit powers, which makes Devil Fruit users worthless against someone who has control over King’s Disposition.

• April 27, 2010 at 12:49 amKiiragi

You’re right, except I don’t think it was ever actually stated that he has the highest level of Haki. And I think all Haki, when well controlled, can negate devil fruit powers. Careful though, you’re stepping on spoilerish grounds as some people don’t want to hear about some confirmations.

• April 27, 2010 at 1:22 amJaysus

Heh… I made sure to avoid any real spoilers. I was going to go more into the King’s Disposition thing, but realized it’d reveal too much.

I think that the King’s Haki is supposed to have a greater effect on Devil Fruit users than normal Haki, but that’s more speculation than proof at this point.

• April 27, 2010 at 1:35 amKiiragi

You got all that from One Piece Wikia, didn’t you? Haha I just read most of what you said there myself. Yeah.. he’s pretty powerful.

• April 27, 2010 at 6:05 amMrRei

LOL at the OP wikia ^^.. I haven’t read, so the only one I remembered having the king’s was Luffy.

I think it’s safe to say that GolD Roger also have the king’s.. maybe Rayleigh have it too!

• April 27, 2010 at 6:09 pmJaysus

I used it to double check my facts… lol

I was almost positive about the King’s Disposition stuff, but just wanted to make sure I didn’t make an ass out of myself.

• April 27, 2010 at 1:49 amDal

This anime is getting so awesome! I can’t wait for what’s to come!!!

• April 27, 2010 at 2:13 amSnorlax

It seems that if Luffy can develop his Haki to the level of Shanks he’d be pretty much invincible. I mean, almost all the powerful characters are devil fruit users.

Also can someone please help me with this. When were the terms “logia”, “paramecia” & “zoan” first used and which character was it that first used them?

• April 27, 2010 at 9:26 amKiiragi

Well, OP Wikia says the Paramecia concept was began from the first episode, so it may have been mentioned then too. When Chopper was first introduced, that may have been the first time Zoan was mentioned. Smoker was their first Logia type that they fought against as well. As for the definition actually being first used, I have no idea, I just remember Enel being one of the first to “talk” about fruit types, and how easy it was for him to fight against “Paramecia”, him being “Logia”.

• April 27, 2010 at 5:18 pmSnorlax

I can’t remember if the terms were ever stated in the manga or if he just said them in a SBS but I thought I remember it from the manga. Although on the wiki it just has the chapter that the first of those fruits appeared. I have a feeling they either first appeared at the very start, the Drum Island arc (1st time we’d seen zoan) or in Arabasta when Luffy fought Croc.

• April 27, 2010 at 11:41 amEamon

I’d say the most powerful known fruits shown so far for each type:

Paramecia: Kuma’s repel ability <– It has the an ability of willpower/haki since it can fight against almost all fruit abilities and attacks really. Not sure how it would effect the logia but Kuma's repel could probably enable him to fight equally with Logia types.

Logia: I would have said Enel's lightning but since he was beaten by Luffy, the strongest would have to be Blackbeard's darkness ability <– It also has willpower/haki's ability of temporarily disabling fruit abilities. So Blackbeard has a good chance of beating Kizaru and Aokoji.

Zoan: Definitely the most powerful we've seen so far has to be Lucci's leapord? <– Not sure if he's overpowered because of his rokushiki fighting style but he made Luffy fight to his most extreme in Enies Lobby arc.

Zoans aren't usually shown to be pretty strong. Mainly the Logias and some specific paramecias.

BTW, what would you classify Brook's ability as? LOL

• April 27, 2010 at 5:12 pmSnorlax

Brook’s is a paramecia since the only ability he gets is to come back to life; he can’t transform into an animal and certainly not an element

• April 27, 2010 at 8:24 pmMrExelyon

Id rank Whitebeard’s earthquake fruit in the top of paramecia as well. I agree with you on the Zoan type being Lucci but it’ll be interesting to see if the “awakened zoan” concept introduced with an explanation on the demon guards is expanded upon.

• April 27, 2010 at 2:25 amMrExelyon

I dont think shanks and Whitebeard clashing swords was supposed to be a measure of Haki. It makes some sense given the sky split but it doesnt follow with what weve seen of Haki so far. Jaysus is sort of touching on it but whether or not shanks has the king’s disposition is speculation like you said. If anyone is worried about mild spoilerage then stop reading now. So far what we’ve seen of Haki are a few different styles. You have Silver’s Rayleigh who could target it and infuse it with his weapon. Whitebeard does the weapon infusion when fighting so if I had to guess I’d put his level of Haki around that only. If he could use it like Luffy/Boa or shanks and Rayleigh then he would have done so during the Marine battle. Shanks though can obviously target it (Sea King, Chapter 1) but can also emit it around him as seen on whitebeard’s ship. Shanks and Whitebeard are supposed to be fairly equal so his ability to use Haki outside of his sword is probably the key to that. The only other thing in regards to his strength is that he’s also an amazing swordsman since he sparred/spars with Mihawk who’s the greatest in the world.

• April 27, 2010 at 8:33 pmMrExelyon

Oh and as for the admirals… Aokiji has his Ice logia powers as a vice admiral (ohara flashback, episode 278, chapter 397). Aikanu is also a vice admiral during this flashback but there’s no indication of whether or not he has his fruit power yet. So at least aokiji wasnt made an admiral upon gaining the fruit power or given it after becoming an admiral. They probably just worked their way up through the ranks, their fruit powers possibly helping them to rise faster.

• April 27, 2010 at 2:45 amoutcast

So for a show with 448 episodes. Does stuff actually get resolved? Or is it one big filler fest trying to reach one final goal.

• April 27, 2010 at 9:18 amKiiragi

Yes, things DO get resolved, they actually make “progress” and are considered halfway finished with the Grand Line. However, there’s been multiple plotlines along the way as well as complex backstory ties and a HUGE supporting cast. It’s not a “filler-fest” at all.

• April 27, 2010 at 3:00 amChris

Wow…that’s some pretty crappy animation for this episode…take note that I’m not saying that based on the screencaps, but based on what I saw…

Wasn’t there a couple of scenes were Ivankov was in the background, and you can’t see any of his facial expressions?

Yea, the animation of his transforming back into a man was pretty good, but that was about it.

Some of the current Impel Down arc seem like it’s sort of drawn out just for the sake of preventing the anime from catching up with the manga…but heck…I can’t wait till they finally leave Impel Down, and bring us to the actual war itself. Now…THAT’s something that they can really extend, instead of giving us the 15th episode of “Buggy and Mr 3′s great escape!”

Hopefully, the animation for the war can be as consistent and epic as Water 7/Enies Lobbies…but judging from this episode? My hopes aren’t very high….in fact…out of the recent episodes, only Chopper’s “where-are-the-nakamas-now?” segment impressed me enough. Hopefully they will decide to allocate a lot more budget for the War arc…

• April 27, 2010 at 6:32 amThePotatoGod

@outcast

hmm…. well…. some of the episodes are a wee bit dragged out and there are some random filler episodes every now and then, but its’ really not that bad after awhile…

but ya….

• April 27, 2010 at 8:18 amEamon

EPIC WINK FTW

On topic: I don’t understand the nature of Ivankov’s death wink attack. Is that willpower/spirit since he managed to hurt Magellan who is a Logia type.

Man, some idiot spoilt to me the latest chapter of One Piece even though I don’t follow the manga. But I can’t wait for Luffy to get to Marineford. I wonder how many high profile guys would be there.

I’m assuming there would be: The Shichibukai, Sengoku, the 3 Admirals, all vice-Admirals Whitebeard and his commanders, probably Shanks, maybe even Dark King Rayleigh (I’m guessing Kuma told Rayleigh about Ace’s execution at Sabaody arc).

Oda likes to stall the story when it’s reaching its peak so I’m guessing we won’t see Marineford for at least 1-2 months. And also, I wonder what Blackbeard’s scheme is. What is he going to do that would “shake the world to its core?”

• April 27, 2010 at 9:17 amKiiragi

ah, the things that will happen.. all I’m going to say is, Blackbeard’s going to blow your mind.

• April 27, 2010 at 11:24 amEamon

lol can’t wait. I still don’t even know what’s his goal. Oh wait, he said he wants to be Pirate King too right?

• April 27, 2010 at 11:38 amComicX6

“I don’t understand the nature of Ivankov’s death wink attack. Is that willpower/spirit since he managed to hurt Magellan who is a Logia type.”

According to Oda it’s essentially air displacement. And Magellan’s actually a Paramecia, not a Logia (he’s never actually turned into poison, just coated himself with it)

• April 27, 2010 at 1:02 pmEamon

ahh, I see. That’s why Luffy was able to punch him during their fight earlier on.

• April 28, 2010 at 2:37 pmShad_Phoenix

Ivankov’s abilities are the ultimate form of Bon-chan’s Okama Kenpo, Newkama Kenpo. As for how they work from a regular standpoint, this is One Piece. It’s like trying to explain where Zoro got the ability of temporarily gaining three heads and nine arms from. Just training, it seems.

• April 27, 2010 at 2:52 pmmr man

oh noes! my new favorite character is coated in poison!!! (inazuma it is)

(animation quality was quite bad .. and a filler will await us .. they are much! to close to the manga…)

• April 27, 2010 at 3:05 pmKiiragi

No, trust me, they are far behind where the manga is right now. The next arc could take 50+ episodes if they wanted to, and it’ll never be boring. They should seriously pick up the pace already.

• April 27, 2010 at 6:33 pmThiago from Brazil

I don’t know about Kizaru. But when Aokiji and Akainu were vice-admirals in Ohara flashback, both then already possessed the power of their Logia.

• April 27, 2010 at 10:46 pmNice Holystone

Oh man, did Ivankov really lose that easily, or is he playing another really bad prank…? Lol.

Just a note to you spoilerific people, I don’t actually want to know the answer that might spoil me! >:O

• April 27, 2010 at 10:57 pmread005

how about luffy grandfather which is garp? he has never eat devil fruit and he still maintain his rank though that he can get promoted to higher level…and every pirate is still scared of him…

• April 28, 2010 at 1:01 amAnonymooo

One thing that constantly impresses me about One Piece is that even though we haven’t seen a character for a while (or they happened to be important in a previous arc), it doesn’t mean that they’ve been left behind power-wise like a lot of other shounen manga. Minor characters and former bad guys don’t just sit around while the heroes are off having adventures and powering up in One Piece, they’re busy going through their own crap that makes them comparatively stronger the next time you see them.

It’s also just kind of assumed that the ordinary, average person in the One Piece world is a lot stronger than the same average joe in the real world, so when somebody like Shanks really bucks trend and proves he can hang with superhumans, it’s a big deal, and is treated accordingly.

• April 28, 2010 at 1:45 amSnorlax

Good point. I love the way Oda uses the Cover Page Arcs for this. After each arc he uses them to show what’s up with the antagonists or support characters of a previous arc and they almost always affect the main storyline. Remembering the conclusion of the last Cover Arc, I can definitely see CP9 re-appearing in conjunction with the main storyline sometime in the NW.

• April 28, 2010 at 6:50 amichigoat

zehahaha, magellan’s such a pain in the arse

• April 28, 2010 at 2:05 pmThiago from Brazil

Hey! What you guys think about the five Gorousei???
    To me they’re really strong. I couldn’t imagine what kind of Akuma no Mi they have, if they have of course!
    I have some theories about them being users of Mythical Zoan.