Spring 2011 Schedule »« Fall 2010 Schedule

25:23 TX (1/7)
Bakuman.
18:00 NHK E (10/2)
Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector
22:00 MX (10/3)
Moshidora
22:55 NHK (3/14-18, 3/21-25)
Yumekui Merry
25:55 TBS (1/6)
Tegami Bachi REVERSE
23:55 TX (10/2)
FRACTALE
24:45 CX (1/13)
Onii-chan no Koto ga Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!!
24:30 tvk (1/8)
Hourou Musuko
25:15 CX (1/13)
Mitsudomoe Zouryouchuu!
26:58 MBS (1/8)

* Others: Houkago no Pleiades, SUPERNATURAL THE ANIMATION

Legend: 7 Divine 3 Kiiragi 2 Prooof 4 Takaii Not covering

The start of the winter 2011 season is only days away, so here’s the quick rundown on what me and the writers will be covering. As I mentioned in the Winter 2011 Preview, I’m reducing my personal load to about half of what it was last season by only picking up a couple more series — Infinite Stratos and FRACTALE. To help compensate, both Kiiragi and Takaii have offered to pick up an additional series to cover, adding GOSICK and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka respectively to the ones they decided on in the preview. Prooof on the other hand is still too busy to pick up new shows, but will continue being the resident Bleach specialist like he’s always been.

I was originally planning to pick up three new series to cover regularly, but decided against it after taking over coverage of STAR DRIVER and To Aru Majutsu no Index II. This led to the reluctant decision of dropping Tegami Bachi REVERSE, which I was already hesitant to take on last season, in order to pick up FREEZING. I’ve already stated my reasons for being excited about FREEZING’s adaptation back in the preview, and whether influenced by my opinion or not, the latest seasonal poll shows a similar amount of anticipation, so it’s something I want to cover weekly to see if it lives up to my expectations. I wasn’t expecting readers to be looking forward it as much as I am, and I’m already getting the feeling it won’t live up to the hype, but that’s something I want to decide for myself and convey thoughts on after watching it. Either way, it’s a series that will be fun to write about.

In lieu of dropping Tegami Bachi REVERSE and not taking on as many series as usual, I have a new “monthly digest” type of post in the works. It’s something that I’ve wanted to do for some time now, since I always watch more shows every season than I have time to cover. The general idea is a monthly post with some quick thoughts on every series that I’m watching, answering the question, “What do you think about the season so far?”, and potentially sparking new interest in certain shows as well. It will also provide me with an outlet to say some good things about shows like Otome Youkai Zakuro, which turned out much better than expected as the season went on. As this type of post is oriented towards both current and potential viewers, the plan is to keep the impressions free of major spoilers (or in spoiler tags). I have yet to finalize the format, but I’m encouraging all the writers to post their own version of it, providing multiple perspectives on a given series. The same goes for me, as I’ll be talking about shows that they’re covering. We’re all pretty excited about writing one of these, so hopefully it will be well-received.

Lastly, I’ve made the subtle change of covering Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector on Sundays when it’s aired on Tokyo MX. I’ve already been doing this for weeks now since it balances out my schedule better, plus it’s when the simulcast that most viewers will be able to watching airs.

As always, comments, questions, and suggestions are welcome. I’m also willing to listen to requests (complaints?) to a degree if you really want to a series covered that isn’t listed above, though it would have to fall under the list of ones I’m planning to watch to be considered. Updates (if any) will be made to this schedule accordingly.

Updates:
01/14: Kiiragi will be covering Hourou Musuko and I’ll be continuing with Tegami Bachi REVERSE in a minimalistic manner.
01/28: Kiiragi has decided to drop regular coverage of Hourou Musuko after realizing it’s not a series he has much to say about on a weekly basis.
02/06: Prooof will be taking over regular coverage of Hourou Musuko.

December 31, 2010 at 3:55 am
  • December 31, 2010 at 4:02 amCommiE

Ohsss noossss beelzebub isnt covered…but my other shows are covered :)

• December 31, 2010 at 4:02 am♛Croosboy♛

at least your load became less divine.

its nice to see this sched it really helps. and to think that IS is TBS. yum

• December 31, 2010 at 4:06 amviral

Are you dropping Tegami Bachi?

• December 31, 2010 at 4:07 amviral

I mean, yes, I can read, but I’m sad panda, I really liked your Tegami Bachi posts. :(

• December 31, 2010 at 4:07 amDivine

Coverage no. Watching yes.

The amount of post views and discussion Tegami Bachi REVERSE generated was strikingly low.

• December 31, 2010 at 4:57 am[SiNaN]

“Coverage yes. Watching no.”

I guess you meant the opposite.

I’m one of those who loved reading them as well though.

• December 31, 2010 at 6:01 amDivine

Fixed, thanks. Yeah, I never like dropping a series part way, and this is actually the second time I’ve done it with Tegami Bachi, but I’ll still talk about it in the monthly posts.

• December 31, 2010 at 3:45 pmShadiic

Monthly Posts? Well this would be a nice way to talk about a lot of shows that you watch and how they progress. Which in turn gives us the readers a broader prespective of the available anime and their current progress. I Like!

• December 31, 2010 at 4:07 amjrj

hurray for having the monthly post! thanks Divine, and all the other writers :)
    looking forward for the new season and the posts.

• December 31, 2010 at 4:21 amAkumetzu

ahh…thats a shame..Beelezebub is the best anime this season ._.

• December 31, 2010 at 4:33 amDivine

Beelzebub is produced by Studio Pierrot and taking over Yumeiro Patissiere’s time slot, so there’s a chance that it will run for a year or longer. I’m hesitant to make such a huge blogging commitment if that turns out to be the case.

• December 31, 2010 at 4:22 amWheate

Maybe u can get some sleep now divine :3

• December 31, 2010 at 5:05 amKewldude

Great stuff, although, I would also really appreciate anyone of you doing Beelzebub. Kudos and a Happy New Year to you all and everyone else! ^_^

• December 31, 2010 at 5:33 amAlvord12

Yes! GOSICK’s being covered! :)
    On another note, Wednesday seems to be a no-post day.

• December 31, 2010 at 5:42 amelijah

I really really like the monthly digest idea;getting to hear what everyone thinks of every current series would be awesome. Will the first one be written one episode into the season?

• December 31, 2010 at 6:05 amDivine

The end of each month is what I’m thinking.

• December 31, 2010 at 5:42 amlaaa

Nice its been while but now again all my shows are covered… Love mecha is coming back more… Btw Divine didn’t u forget Super robot wars in years anime contest?

• December 31, 2010 at 6:04 amNinja Penguin

Divine decided to include anime that FINISHED in 2010. SRW will be in the 2011 contest.

• December 31, 2010 at 6:03 amPoiira

Aww, Tegami Bachi was dropped…. but oh well, most of the shows i wanna watch this season are being covered, yay!

• December 31, 2010 at 6:22 amHitsuaya_10

Thanks for the updates, Divine. Will be looking forward to IS and Fractale this season!

• December 31, 2010 at 6:23 amamado

yay, all the shows im watching are going to be blogged.
    I might drop or add more depending on the reviews though.

• December 31, 2010 at 7:15 amRyuseiu

Too bad, Dragon Crisis is not there :(
    But I will watch Mitsudomoe, Yumekui Merry and Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka? from the new season, so i’m happy ^^

• December 31, 2010 at 7:22 amReborn

I’m pleased, only 1-2 shows that i’m watching aren’t being covered.
    With regards to the monthly thing, that sounds great – certain series could have benefited from that this/last season.
    Looking forward to what’s to come.

• December 31, 2010 at 7:27 amtama

Hurray for Infinite Stratos & thanks for Cover this series, I cant wait for this Haremesque, exoskeleton mecha action and Funnel spam taken to another level lol… :)

• December 31, 2010 at 7:58 amArabesque

Takaii and Kiiragi covering Madoka and Gosick makes me very happy.

Divine dropping Letter Bee makes me sad D: I know I haven’t really posted anything on those posts, but that was mainly because I was actually behind that show. Still, I knew there had to be sacrifices to preserve Divine’s life, so it’s alright.

The monthly digest idea sounds excellent, looking forward to it.

Here’s to a great year for the blog!

• December 31, 2010 at 8:10 amArabesque

wait

”but I’m encouraging all the writers to post their own version of it, providing multiple perspectives on a given series”

:D

/hyper

• December 31, 2010 at 8:12 amsealouse

Yeah you know it seemed like in the past someone would write about at least the first episode of every new series on here so that will be nice to at least glance at the other shows.

• December 31, 2010 at 9:34 amamado

I think Divine and the others will still do first impression.
      besides, usually the schedule will change due to an anime’s lack of excitement, exceeded anticipation, or sickness, busy IRL etc.

• December 31, 2010 at 8:18 amFlytaggart

Little question
    Are the numbers before and after the “:” the airing time? For example:
    “GOSICK
    (!)25:23(!) TX (1/7)”
    I mean my day doesnt have more than 24 hours and I dont think the japanese day has more ^^

And the airtime is the only think that comes to my mind, even though it doesnt really make sence since most of them are above 24.

• December 31, 2010 at 8:44 amArabesque

Because it airs so late at night, it’s written as such but it’s actually 1:23 AM.

• December 31, 2010 at 8:40 amMarina2

@Flytaggart

25.23 means 1.23 am of the next day.

• December 31, 2010 at 9:18 amahelo

Im slightly sad that Beezlebub’s not getting covered but everything else I want to watch seems to be covered so I guess that’s a good thing.

• December 31, 2010 at 9:46 amNikki

Only KimiDoke 2 is being covered. I am a sad panda. At least you’ll finally get some relaxation, Divine! Good luck with the new season!

• December 31, 2010 at 3:24 pmtakaii

I think more shows are being covered then KnT2 :p

• December 31, 2010 at 5:22 pmNikki

… that’s what I get for typing a comment when I’m tired.

What I meant was out of the shows I’m watching only KimiDoke 2 is being blogged. My bad. DX

• December 31, 2010 at 6:21 pmTakaii

Ahh~
        The monthly posts should appease your appetite for some of those, right? :)

• December 31, 2010 at 9:57 amocswing

I was hoping Hourou Musuko would be covered cause I think a full post would be good to talk about the themes it covers. Still, if it gets decent mentions in the monthly reviews that’ll probably be adequate. The monthly reviews are such a great idea and I’m glad to see you guys will be doing them this season!

• December 31, 2010 at 9:58 amPeepQ

No Onii-chan? :/

• December 31, 2010 at 10:04 amAshen

I’m sad Starry Sky, Wandering Son, Dragon Crisis, and Level E won’t be covered by Random C, but I can understand.

I’m just happy Yumekui Merry will be covered. <3

Thanks so, so, SO much to all of you guys for continuing this blog.

• December 31, 2010 at 10:34 amOtaku_Brawler

Ah. No coverage of Iron Man now no coverage of Wolverine. I am sad. ;_;

• December 31, 2010 at 10:40 ammika-chan

Ehi, no onii-chan? :|
    Someone with a proper english cover it please with Hourou musuko. :D

• December 31, 2010 at 11:39 am0927123

I have proper english, I think? haha But raw watching skills, nada.

• December 31, 2010 at 12:30 pmFlamingYu

cool, Divine is covering “IS”.
    Looking forward to it, and Good luck + Happy New Year!!!

• December 31, 2010 at 1:46 pmZoboCamel

Aww, I was looking forward to Dragon Crisis and Moshidora writeups (though for Moshidora particularly, the airing schedule would’ve made it very difficult to write up on time :P).

On the other hand, the monthly posts sound like a great idea, especially if multiple writers do it, and it’s good to see you’ll be able to get at least -some- sleep now, Divine.

Also – happy new year’s, everyone!

• December 31, 2010 at 2:21 pm0927123

KissXSis – covered
    Oreimo – covered
    Yosuga no sora – covered
    Onii-chan – not covered
    :’(

• December 31, 2010 at 2:30 pmlHyDrAl

Just gonna throw in my two complaints about Hourou Musuko and Beelzebub not being covered. You’re correct about Beelzebub going on for a year though. Tv station confirmed 50+. Probably more than 50 if it sells well so I can actually understand that it’s not going to be covered by anyone. *Goes to cry in a corner from lack of Hourou Musuko*

• December 31, 2010 at 3:41 pmShadiic

quite unfortunate that you decided to drop Reverse Divine, but still there is a lot of shows that are being, so I’ll just fap in the irc :)

• December 31, 2010 at 4:46 pmAndré

“Monthly digest” is a nice idea.

• December 31, 2010 at 5:25 pmAznCoffee

Ahhh you’re seriously missing out by not doing LEVEL E. D:

• December 31, 2010 at 6:10 pmGodKnows

Hourou Musuko not covered? Son,I am disappoint.

• December 31, 2010 at 8:20 pminnerchihiro

YES monthly posts. I think it’s an excellent idea since people are always complaining about their shows not being covered, so at least this way everyone will be able to talk about the shows they’re watching.
    It would be cool if you guys could include a few (maybe six?) screenshots from each series so that the non-watchers could get a better idea of what the show is like :)
    I’m also interested to see how impressions differ between the writers too! Thanks RandomC!

• February 5, 2011 at 12:30 pmAnimelover

great idea about the screen shots

• December 31, 2010 at 10:09 pmchloesong92

Ahh I’m so looking forward to 2011. :D<3

• February 5, 2011 at 12:30 pmAnimelover

me 2

• December 31, 2010 at 11:19 pmMike

Any reson why wednesday is so dead?

Do Japanese have some sort of special meaning on wednesday?

• January 1, 2011 at 6:54 amFallenrock

Hmmm maybe its like Sundays here? A day to rest and not make the hard working animators work even more.

Fight~Divine!!

• January 1, 2011 at 12:32 amO.O

well i guess the monthly thing sounds good and i guess i am lucky that u r doing all the shows i am going to watch. o btw does anyone agree with me that the fall anime seems better than the winter one? O.o

• January 1, 2011 at 12:36 amKobayashi Mio

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka looks really good. I’m looking forward to you blogging it Takaii!! ^^

• January 1, 2011 at 2:12 amcshin9

This schedule’s fine with me. I think a lot of people are anticipating Beelzebub, but I’m not really looking forward to it.

• January 1, 2011 at 8:03 amAnne

Ah, dropping Tegami Bachi REVERSE? Dx Sad, but I /can/ see why though. On the bright side, I’ll be looking forward to your monthly posts as well as coverage of Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? and Yumekui Merry

• January 1, 2011 at 8:57 amEternith

Monthly digests sound good. I always liked those monthly reviews/reflections some other blogs have.

• January 1, 2011 at 3:36 pmZeruFenrir

Hmm, so did the air time change for SRW: The Inspectors? I noticed it went from Friday to Sunday.

• January 1, 2011 at 6:17 pmbriex

I just want to say that I’m so sad there’s no one cover Hourou Musuko T_T

• January 1, 2011 at 8:19 pmnoobiesnack

Yeah, but I guess there must be a lack of interest or time to do it. Hourou Musuko is one of the series I am looking forward too, since there are very few I am looking forward to compared to this time last year. Guess I will just have to cover it on my own site to make up for the time void that is present this season. :( oh well, we will see what happens.

• January 1, 2011 at 8:54 pmlarri

Ahhhhhhh so sad Tegami bachi is being dropped and Hourou Musuko isn’t going to be covered.
    I’m def one of those people who always looked over the Tegami Bachi posts. Thanks for all the hard work though!

• January 1, 2011 at 10:51 pmMorose Girl

Long time reader, first time poster here – probably going to type way too much. I have to admit that I’m pretty sad that no one is going to cover Hourou Musuko. I’m not really surprised, though. Yeah, I know it’s probably not going to be the most popular show, especially among this site’s readers (the mindless allure of breasts is too strong, I guess), but I’m fairly sure that it’s going to be the best quality show this season. I hope that some kind of post gets made about it, even if it isn’t covered regularly (and I suppose there’s some hope of that with the monthly digest thing you guys are starting). I was really looking forward to seeing opinions on it, mostly because transgender issues are rarely dealt with seriously or realistically in anime and it would be something new, if nothing else. I also had hopes of some intelligent discussion on it, but alas… at least Fractale is getting covered. As a fellow writer, I can’t fathom having to write about trite magical girl shows week after week and still being able to find something witty to say every time – they all seem so dreadfully similar. *sigh* Keep going though, guys – I really do like the new direction of this site, despite any minor missteps. =)

• January 2, 2011 at 1:47 amTakaii

Trite Magical Girl Shows? Bring it on!
      Honestly, I hope Madoka turns out to be a great hit :T

• January 2, 2011 at 6:29 amArabesque

While I’m also somewhat saddened that Hourou Musuko wont be covered, I wont rule out Madoka as some trite show this early. For one thing the creative force behind this project is amazing, what with Shaft X Shinbo as studio and director, Gen Urobuchi as writer and Ume Aoki as designer, and to top it all off music by Kajiura Yuki? Add to that how they said they had to add the magical girl title to the show because they thought people wouldn’t think of it as one, I’m expecting something similar to Princess Tutu. Which is needless to say, a very high expectation but with such a team, who wouldn’t get their hopes up?

• January 2, 2011 at 6:42 am♕Croosboy♕

hmmmm… monthly post not a bad idea. wonder how it will look like. それを楽しみにして(looking forward to it)

• January 2, 2011 at 3:30 pmLectro Volpi

Freezing with AT-X? I guess there is hope for it. Still, I will not hype it as I hyped Fairy Tail… man, what a disaster…

Beelzebub not covered? I’ll watch it on my own then! dunno why so many sad pandas about it.

7 days and 4 shows… Unless I see something that catches my eye, this will be an austere season. humh!

• January 2, 2011 at 6:15 pmkaon

*.* good¡¡¡
    excelent¡¡

• January 3, 2011 at 3:13 amMadoss

where is Naruto ? :D

• January 3, 2011 at 4:22 pmKiri

Looking forward to FREEZING and Fractale!! While I enjoyed your Tegami Bachi posts, I usually wait for a few episodes to accumulate so I can have a mini-marathon (if 3-4 eps at a time can be called one) so this monthly format may actually work out better. :)

• January 4, 2011 at 8:35 amentropy

Rio got subbed now, hopefully Kimi ni Todoke would follow immediately…

• January 5, 2011 at 1:13 amimbestigador

Iwas hoping Takaii to blog Moshidora since he recently blogged Shinrei Tantei Yakumo and Bakuman.

Anyways,I think I’ll put Moshidora on My list,Looking forward to new NHK Animes this year. [Isn't it too obvious,I really love Public Broadcasting :lol: ]

I’ll also put Kmi ni Todoke,IS and Freezong on my watchlist.

• January 5, 2011 at 6:01 pmNcrdrg

Aww shoot. There’s at least 3-4 shows I’ll give a watch that aren’t covered at all.
    Beelzebub is the most surprising pass but I understand, it’s quite the commitment since it’s the next big shounen anime and it’s highly likely to run over a year.
    However, it makes me a sad panda to not see Dragon Crisis, Level E and Hourou Musuko covered. They all look to be pretty good. But hey, time contraints, I get it. But couldn’t Prooof do it? I mean, he only has Bleach and Beelzebub is a shounen giving me the same feeling (I read both mangas).

Besides, it’s easier to list what I won’t be watching : Starry☆Sky, Wolverine, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector, Bleach, Kimi ni Todoke 2ND SEASON, Cardfight!! Vanguard, Onii-chan no Koto ga Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! and SUPERNATURAL. Everything else, I’m giving it a try if they’re subbed.
    Rio -RainbowGate!- is very likely to be my first one to be dropped judging from the first episode.

• January 6, 2011 at 3:53 ampaulrenzo

You’re not dropping SRW and will blog IS…that’s all that matters to me.

• January 7, 2011 at 7:48 amiroha360

Two manga’s I really want to see get an anime adaption would be Kurohime and Psyren(and maybe Onihime VS):)

• January 8, 2011 at 4:47 amleo

Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector

Correctionstill air at friday night

• January 8, 2011 at 10:39 amDivine

Please read the post before commenting.

• January 31, 2011 at 10:48 pmfraisen

since kiiragi dropped hourou musuko, any chance he can pick up level e?

• February 2, 2011 at 8:07 amelijah

So I take it there won’t be any monthly digest thing for January?

• February 4, 2011 at 3:26 pmichigo_daisuki

That’s nice; Wednesday is everyone’s day-off ^_^
    I hope everyone stays healthy!