Yumekui Merry – 04 »« Yumekui Merry – 02

Yumekui Merry   03   22 Yumekui Merry   03   23 Yumekui Merry   03   24
Yumekui Merry   03   25 Yumekui Merry   03   26 Yumekui Merry   03   27
Yumekui Merry   03   28 Yumekui Merry   03   29 Yumekui Merry   03   30
Yumekui Merry   03   31 Yumekui Merry   03   32 Yumekui Merry   03   33
Yumekui Merry   03   34 Yumekui Merry   03   35 Yumekui Merry   03   36
Yumekui Merry   03   37 Yumekui Merry   03   38 Yumekui Merry   03   39

「夢の向こうから」 (Yume no Mukō Kara)
“From Beyond the Dream”

With a little thought, I suppose I could have seen that Yumeji’s near useless power of seeing dream colors through the hole of an “a-okay” sign would be the red string to tie with Merry. It’s also a little funny how he believes in fortunes, and goes around showing kids his own fortune telling act. He’s also a bit of an artist. What can I say, the guy’s pretty awesome.

It was only a matter of time before the show’s title is coined and explained, to which a dry Merry refuses to acknowledge. The main point of this episode was to get Merry and Yumeji back together. In that, it did well, and now they’re together. The other point was a friendless girl, Minato (Hidaka Rina), that also has a hat, who possesses a demon that gives me intense Higurashi vibes. Seriously, those shrieks? I felt uncomfortable.

Thanks to Yumeji’s dgaf attitude, he waltzes into the dream to explain to Merry that this may possibly be a daydream. Despite the fact that he should realize he could get killed in such a daydream, he still doesn’t give a shit, and provides the moral support so that friendless girl over there could reject the dream demon Ichima (Iguchi Yuka). Meanwhile, Merry fights using a pinch and a slap, exactly in that order, because what else except baby techniques to be condescending to an immature screaming demon?

If it weren’t for the bipolar mood shifts every episode that come along with an exotic setting, these episodic monster of the weeks so far wouldn’t be nearly as interesting. There’s still character development here and there, but it’s too little, too less. They’re taking way too long to describe the dream demon concept, because I kind of figured it out from the first episode J.C. Staff! They also like throwing in random characters near the end to create some cliffhanger, but at least this time, the character was pretty cool. Female sword wielding angel with seductive angular eyes? Just tell me where and when. There’s also that cross eyed chick from the middle, who seems to have a demon already living within her, and apparently likes to wear gym uniforms at home while pulling off Spike Spiegel’s. I’ll let you wonder if that was some subtle fan service or not (am I talking about dat ass or dat reference?). Now hurry up with some actual connecting plot already. I’m getting impatient.

also wut? out of place stance for ..what reason exactly?

Yumekui Merry   03   Preview 01 Yumekui Merry   03   Preview 02 Yumekui Merry   03   Preview 03

January 21, 2011 at 6:12 pm
  • January 21, 2011 at 6:22 pmRyuuroden

lol, nice stance shes standing in. Does she not realize what she’s wearing :D

• January 21, 2011 at 6:27 pmKiiragi

Dream demons do not care about petty things such as showing underwear.

• January 22, 2011 at 5:31 amHenDarou

Well, she doesn’t seem to care about Yumeji seeing her and Isana in the bathroom…

• January 21, 2011 at 6:36 pmUFO

it just her dreamdemon instinct, you know corrupt kid and all :P

• January 21, 2011 at 6:22 pmdrcnch

I just love the faces that Merry makes, especially when it comes to donuts. So far this is my favorite show, mostly because of Merry’s character. Also, Yumeji is an interesting character in his ability to suddenly deal with things without batting an eyelash.

• January 21, 2011 at 6:34 pmRyuuroden

My favorite show is Gosick which i find humorous because it was not even on my “Watch” list. I read the premise and saw the promo poster of the goth loli and was like….”Do not want” Boy was I wrong.

• January 21, 2011 at 6:32 pmcaramel_cod

I’m thinking the “cross-eyed” girl is the dream demon that killed Serio in the last episode.

What I’m really wondering about is the connection between Merry and Yumeji as suggested in the OP sequence. They look like brother and sister which, considering how little we know about Yumeji’s family (and given his unexplainable powers), seems like it could be possible. Of course, he’d need some sort of amnesia to not recognize her as long lost family by now, so who knows.

• January 21, 2011 at 6:39 pmAvalanche

Maybe the shot was an attempt at fan-service? This may not be my favorite show this season, but Merry has got to be one of my fav. characters.

• January 21, 2011 at 6:59 pmKiiragi

While fan-service is the obvious answer, it still doesn’t change the fact that it looks odd.

• January 21, 2011 at 7:11 pmJason Isenberg

Merry doesn’t really care whatever stance. Bet she didn’t even know what she was doing lol

• January 21, 2011 at 7:27 pmcshin9

That was a Cowboy Bebop reference? I thought it was Eden of the East. Or was Eden of the East originally referencing Cowboy Bebop itself?

• January 21, 2011 at 7:48 pmKiiragi

It’s not highly obvious either of them are referencing Bebop, but if anything, Bebop did it way before them. After all, Bebop did come out first. Whether or not it’s originally Bebop’s, I don’t know, but it’s iconic in anime now, so these could be references.

• January 21, 2011 at 8:13 pmjrj

lol… Merry standing pose is definitely a fan service…
    like the battle part, but funny that she slapped the demon and she is gone… it would be funny if Merry actually successfully get into the gate with her, and… anime over XD
    I agree with you, Kirragi, we need more plot :) but preview seems to suggest that next episode should be interesting :)

• January 21, 2011 at 8:40 pm♕Croosboy♕

This really makes me feel that this anime is like “Princess Tutu”.
    But anyway, it’s really good to see that the main character, Yumeji, being useful in this episode. Merry’s face, while seeing a donut, still cute.
    But best thing in this episode is that it’s more understanding and clarified than other previous episode making me think “What will happen next” and “What happens if Merry goes back into the Dream world”.
    Hahahahah. Accurate fortune telling reminds me of Nazrin.

• January 21, 2011 at 9:23 pmstarss

This anime may satisfy my severe Ika Musume withdrawl!

• January 21, 2011 at 9:30 pmwasabi

Donut-chan :3

• January 21, 2011 at 10:54 pmP0NCH

Need more of this. XD

• January 21, 2011 at 11:58 pmDa5id

Alright, reaction-face episode’s already here! Come and get your fill, /a/!

• January 22, 2011 at 7:02 amVZX

I wish I have Pon-de-ring donut now ;_;

• January 22, 2011 at 9:30 amXanathos

“also wut? out of place stance for ..what reason exactly?”

To show off, of course. What else can we expect of the “I don’t need Yumeji’s help” Merry. XD

• January 22, 2011 at 10:19 amkabayongtao

• January 22, 2011 at 2:01 pmSuzushina Yuriko

It might just be me, but did anyone notice that Ichima looks an awful lot like Kaguya from Touhou? The author Yumekui Merry also draws Touhou doujin (such as Advent Cirno) so I wouldn’t be surprised if this was done on purpose.

• January 23, 2011 at 8:58 pmRailgun

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who thought of this

• January 23, 2011 at 11:51 amsealouse

Oh yeah the transfer student. I though it was pretty obvious from the previous episode.

• January 26, 2011 at 4:08 pmewok40k

I am wondering about the mysterious angellike creature (antidemon? demon hunter spirit?), and the mysterious transfer student living in trashy apartament, and the fate of the Serio’s host girl…
    More to this dream world than meets the eye…