Deadman Wonderland – 05 »« Deadman Wonderland – 03

Deadman Wonderland – 04

Deadman Wonderland   04   01 Deadman Wonderland   04   02 Deadman Wonderland   04   03
Deadman Wonderland   04   04 Deadman Wonderland   04   05 Deadman Wonderland   04   06
Deadman Wonderland   04   07 Deadman Wonderland   04   08 Deadman Wonderland   04   09
Deadman Wonderland   04   10 Deadman Wonderland   04   11 Deadman Wonderland   04   12
Deadman Wonderland   04   13 Deadman Wonderland   04   14 Deadman Wonderland   04   15
Deadman Wonderland   04   16 Deadman Wonderland   04   17 Deadman Wonderland   04   18
Deadman Wonderland   04   19 Deadman Wonderland   04   20 Deadman Wonderland   04   21
Deadman Wonderland   04   22 Deadman Wonderland   04   23 Deadman Wonderland   04   24
Deadman Wonderland   04   25 Deadman Wonderland   04   26 Deadman Wonderland   04   27
Deadman Wonderland   04   28 Deadman Wonderland   04   29 Deadman Wonderland   04   30
Deadman Wonderland   04   31 Deadman Wonderland   04   32 Deadman Wonderland   04   33

「クロウ・クロウ」 (Kurou Kurou)
“Crow Crow”

So dark yet so awesome, but it sure is hard to take good screencaps. After one of the deadmen, Crow (Senji), arrives in the nick of time, destroying the robot and putting out the fire, it becomes rather difficult to see what’s going on. That’s a shame too, since the Branches of Sin animated in a fight would have been pretty cool. I don’t know if it’s done on purpose to tone down the gore and violence, but the darkened scenes do contribute to the gritty atmosphere as they face off. Unfortunately that fight sort of lost its impact since I already knew Crow wasn’t the “red man”, but Ganta quickly goes into a rage when he sees Senji’s blood powers. He even has a similar smile as the Wretched Egg, though Ganta realizes his mistake soon enough and they clear up the misunderstanding.

Crow didn’t really care since he just wanted his pre-battle warmup, but he is pretty sick with his dual blades of blood. Perhaps I’m just stating the obvious, but he’s a very similar character to Zaraki Kenpachi from Bleach, even down to the spiky hair and the abs. I don’t approve of mindless thirst for violence, but in a fictional series those kind of characters are fun to watch. It’s pretty amusing how his main weakness seems to be sexy girls, and I wouldn’t have thought he had that kind of modest side. Other than that though, he acts like he only lives looking for a worthy opponent to give him a good battle.

On the other hand, Ganta is a hotheaded idiot (aren’t all shounen protagonists) though lacking any kind of coolness, and spends a lot of time screaming in horror/anger/fear/shock. His anger is definitely warranted, but the maniac sadist Tamaki probably just enjoys it all even more while watching Ganta suffer. The things that happened to him really are horrible, and now I think about, anime has no qualms about showing kids going through awful situations that Western entertainment would never show because of how controversial it’d be. However the fact manga and anime is art as opposed to live-action does somewhat lessen the impact of the R-rated stuff.

Bringing back my point from the last episode, all the secrecy of the “true” Deadman Wonderland still feels like a plot hole. As I thought, the Deadmen do put on gladiator-type entertainment (Carnival Corpse), so I still don’t understand how they could be so secret from Makina and the guards. They call “Carnival Corpse” an experiment, but it’s a show as well and a lot of other people watch it. Some of the guards know a little about G-block too, so the rumors are rampant at least. Tamaki is cleaning up things pretty well, and acts like he doesn’t know what’s up with Shiro, but with extensive surveillance and widespread knowledge, this stuff shouldn’t be all that surprising when revealed. The guards, even Makina, don’t pay much attention to the weird little girl in white either, nor do they seem bothered by how she doesn’t belong at all. Makina is pretty pissed at all of Tamaki’s little conspiracies and keeps trying to get to the bottom of things, but honestly I don’t think it’s that hard with just a little simple investigation.

Deadman Wonderland   04   Preview 01 Deadman Wonderland   04   Preview 02 Deadman Wonderland   04   Preview 03
May 8, 2011 at 2:59 pm
  • May 8, 2011 at 3:10 pmKTNO

It was nice to see that Crow isn’t really the “false bad guy” type of character, how he take the nurse head was just awesome.
    I really didn’t expect that.

Ganta is annoying but what he just saw must be reallyyyyyyyyy hard for a child :/

• May 8, 2011 at 3:18 pmShirt

^I don’t find Ganta annoying at all. In fact, I like seeing him on screen. I don’t exactly enjoy it, but his experiences are definitely worthwhile to see. I can’t imagine the pain he goes through on a daily basis. Having your eyes pinned open like that? -hell I’d start crying from that let alone the disturbing sequences before me.

• May 8, 2011 at 7:55 pmewok40k

Ganta is really tough customer, I’d probably just rolled up and died.
      Crow is a bit of mystery to me, reacting funny to shiro’s sexy bodysuit and nurse’s labcoat, and then taking her hostage next minute… I dont feel real malice though from him. I’d dine with them 10 times more happily than with the Promoter Weasel.
      I wonder how much time passses until Makina finds the G-block, and what she will do about it…
      Shiro is great comic relief flailing arms and all – when not toppling mecha with dropkicks…
      Ahem, 50kg girl needs the speed 500m/s to start moving 5 ton mecha at 5 m/s… That Newton dude is amazing…
      Also, I am really wanting to hear backstory fr most of the chars, hinted in the OP, namely Makina (military), Crow(?) (cop), nurse, Yoh, you name it…

• May 8, 2011 at 9:46 pmpuppygod

“Only” 50 m/s.

Remember: 1/2 mv squared.

• May 9, 2011 at 12:49 amewok40k

I meant conservation of momentum, not energy…

• May 8, 2011 at 3:17 pmShirt

This show is grim. :|

• May 8, 2011 at 3:17 pmfuckinLOVE thatABS!!

ganta is consistently irritating me..blee
    good thing there’s CrowABS-kun ^^

• May 8, 2011 at 3:20 pmxcswmboy

I just realized that Senji’s blades remind me of Recca’s blade in Flame of Recca. Totally off topic.

I think Corpse Carnival is a VIP only event that only really really rich people can watch other than the Deadmen themselves. DW has never explicitly numbered how many Deadmen there are in the facility so maybe they are enough to populate an audience. I also thought that the guards were criminals themselves who were bribed, so Makina not knowing is not too far out.

Also, Tamaki doesn’t know who Shiro is. He will realize at some point later on. At least in following the manga timeline.

• May 8, 2011 at 3:25 pmProoof

right; i might have gotten that part mixed up

• May 8, 2011 at 3:22 pmTriangle MAN

Im I the only one who thinks this show is to slow and has to much dark screen time?

• May 8, 2011 at 3:26 pmMrBrownSound

So do they get lightheaded when they use their powers?, lol. The wretched egg guy, is he even human, maybe he was genetically modified, or a alien. At least we know that it’s some kind of disease.

• May 8, 2011 at 3:29 pmProoof

• May 8, 2011 at 5:52 pmamado

hey Prooof, your spoiling next ep.

• May 8, 2011 at 6:07 pmProoof

no it happened in a previous episode

• May 8, 2011 at 7:59 pmamado

I think he fainted from exhaustion. either way, it wasnt stated yet.

• May 8, 2011 at 8:04 pmProoof

I just assumed it

• May 8, 2011 at 8:48 pmBossun

Yeah, it wasn’t explicitly stated, but now that we know how his powers work it’s a safe, logical assumption. After all, exhaustion is a symptom of blood loss. The umpire says….safe!

• May 8, 2011 at 4:16 pmKarmafan

I hate whern they make animes and chop the shit out of it or hide the scenes with darkness, black spots, white spots, and other manner of censorship. Have the stones to make the series the way its supposed to be or DON’T make the series.

• May 8, 2011 at 6:08 pmBossun

It’s not always a matter of “having the stones.” The TV networks can say, “No, you need to cover that up or we’re not showing it.” And then what? Should they just say “Never! I have testicles so I refuse to censor the show. I’d much rather waste all the money we put into making it”?

• May 8, 2011 at 6:34 pmKarmafan

Then they should NOT have made the series in the 1st place.

• May 8, 2011 at 7:09 pmBossun

1) You can’t always predict what the networks will and will not allow.
        2) Censorship of this degree, while annoying, does not ruin the series as a whole to the extent that it would have been better to not make the series at all.
        3) Even if it’s censored on TV, there is always the BluRay/DVD version to see the full, uncensored version. This, of course, wouldn’t be available if they did NOT make the series in the 1st place.

• May 8, 2011 at 9:48 pmKagutsuchi

Every time I see a series that they censor the crap out of, I remember Elfen Lied and wonder why the hell can’t this be like Elfen Lied. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Elfen Lied uncensored from the beginning (ie on TV)?

• May 9, 2011 at 2:49 pmBossun

Elfen Lied was uncensored on its initial run. It actually was shown on AT-X, too, which is the same channel that showed the recent Freezing uncensored. Deadman Wonderland is on TV Kanagawa, though. Different standards, I guess

• May 8, 2011 at 4:38 pmAshan

The rumors are “Rampant” not “Rampart” the two words while similar have very different meanings.

Interesting read.

• May 8, 2011 at 5:09 pmKalamity

DO you know if the Old dude and the Gay person show up, or have they been written out of the series too. Sorry that I forgot their names, but they play pretty big roles later on.

• May 8, 2011 at 5:54 pmamado

kinda doubt it, they already cut out that girl that was supposed to show up in ep 2. at the very least, he’ll still appear but wont be important later.

• May 8, 2011 at 5:50 pmGregory House

I just had a flashback of The Clockwork Orange.

• May 8, 2011 at 6:19 pmCroosboy

Prooof I think ganta realized the misunderstanding with the smile. Red-Man has wider smile

• May 9, 2011 at 4:15 amGuardian

I think he also realized Red man makes a distinctive “Kshhht!” sound when he grins, while Senji just goes “Heh!”

• May 8, 2011 at 6:21 pmjtang

Does anyone know what anime that border is from?

• May 8, 2011 at 6:35 pmCroosboy

Border? is that related here.

if its not then the border is Amagami SS.

• May 8, 2011 at 6:36 pmKarmafan

Amagami on the sides. The 6 main girls that all had arcs.

• May 8, 2011 at 7:56 pmamado

where did amagami come from? I dont see anything related to that here.

I think he means that banner on top. if yes, then its sora no otoshimono.

• May 8, 2011 at 7:23 pmJaden

Hopefully Ganta’s blood bending isn’t just limited to projectiles cause that would be a bit of a letdown.

Still not convinced that the branch of sin is some sort of infection but instead they just treat it as one hence the guards in hazmat suits. Pretty good episode, g-block inmates are all sin carriers, carnival corpse, more Shiro questions and randomness and that Crow is a pretty interesting fella.

• May 8, 2011 at 9:14 pmGoobaby

I can’t wait until the next two fights, especially Show Spoiler ▼

I also wish ganta would do a little bit more than just shoot relatively weak blood beams.

• May 8, 2011 at 9:44 pmKagutsuchi

I love this series. I have some issues with the anime, but the one thing I can’t get over, is the pace. Progress is slow as hell. With only 13 or so episodes, they could at least speed things up a little bit…

• May 9, 2011 at 2:58 amKabayongtao

Maybe they’ll remove these darkened scenes when released on BD.

• May 9, 2011 at 5:58 pmSilentcid

I am hoping they get into some back story with Shiro and why did the guards let her go when they ask the promoter about her not having an ID on file.

• May 10, 2011 at 6:14 pmZwei

• May 10, 2011 at 7:00 pmanishuma

Does Senji Kiyomasa have to slice a bitch?

Heh, Crow’s debut was my instant gratification.Now bring on dat Hummingbird and that Peacock :p

• May 11, 2011 at 7:25 pmAshen

God I love Senji and Toto. So glad they showed ‘em in this ep.