One Piece 626 – A Martyr is Born »« One Piece 624 – An Offer

One Piece 625 – Om Nom Nom

One Piece Manga   625   01

Well damn, this chapter was quite the emotional rollercoaster. Oda’s done great in portraying the Tenryuubito’s because I really really hate the dudes. They’re pretty much whiny brats except with the permission to act that way. The fact that they thought they could waltz in an entire civilization of the same species, demand slaves back, and actually expect them to come along as if they would enjoy the idea really speaks for itself. So I was like, “yeah, kill the bastard.” Then Otohime comes along and covers him, and suddenly, “oh shit, is this how she dies?! That’s terrible!” But no, the bullet grazed, and she points out that the children are watching. So I’m like, “oh shit, now she’s gonna get it because she helped him. Too good for her own doing.” But suddenly, Shirahoshi lets out some kind of wail that calls Sea Kings. “Damn son! Was that actually haki?” Considering the fishmen have no idea what Haki is, it could be, or it could be just an isolated power mermaids apparently have. Now we know why Decken wants Shirahoshi, so he’s not much of a pedophile after all.

Otohime’s got some serious balls to accompany the guy who just tried to kill her, having escaped death twice now in the same chapter. Over the span of a page, I was quite anxious, but she actually returns with a signed paper. That is pretty amazing. She convinced the Tenryuubito? Seriously? I’m having such a hard time believing it that I know this paper must be a lie. A trick to get back at the fishmen. Tenryuubito don’t forget how to hold a grudge you know.

My attempt at literal impressions. /halfjoking

May 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm
  • May 18, 2011 at 11:25 pmLectro Volpi

Okay… here I go: PrincesswilljointhecrewbecauseshehasanabnormalabilitythatwillhelptheSHinarandomyetdiresituation.

Man! this chapter almost gave me a heart attack: She is going to die by the shoot! no, by the Tenryuubito! no? she left the island with him, they are gong to execute her on land! huh!? she came victoriously with a signed paper!? Oda you damn troll! it is horrible because I know she is going to die but how it will be!?

Ha,ha! Decken tried to save his decency with: “Ah right, she is too young.”

• May 19, 2011 at 1:39 amLuxorcist

Funnily enough, Kiiragi’s picture resembles the troll face smile.

• May 19, 2011 at 10:48 amjingoi

Luffy needs at least one more member and that person must be female. If Shirahoshi can bring herself down to human size then it’s possible but I think she will be left at home.

• May 19, 2011 at 12:55 amDesh

Finding is hard to root for Otohime when she’s just sooooo hotheaded
    I don’t think it’s solid parenting to put yourself in danger like that when you have toddlers at home

• May 19, 2011 at 1:21 amAlcren

when i first read this the first thing that came to mind is that they must have branded her somewhere, in that she sacrificed herself for the good of the whole and she came back only to be killed i guess

• May 19, 2011 at 4:03 ampresident_devil

As I recall Jimbe could summon whales. Shirahoshi is royality, so her summonings should be (and they apparently are) equivalently more badass. :D

• May 19, 2011 at 4:21 amCrowds and me

now it make sense why VDD so much want marry the princess
    at first,i thought he just a pervert pedhophile who only want marry the princess just because she cute

so the princess has power to command the sea kings with her cry hmmmmm interesting maybe she also has disposition king

• May 19, 2011 at 7:59 amNanx

Somehow she reminds me of prime minister Chamberlain…

• May 19, 2011 at 8:41 amK.K.

All the mermaids can talk to fish; most fishmen are too violent to talk to fish, so Jinbei is special in that regard. What makes Shirahoshi special is that she can “command” sea kings rather than just regular fish. I don’t think it’s because of haki, but who really knows. Doubt she’d be a good crewmember though (she wouldn’t fit in their ship, which is still on the tiny side, as ships go)

I’m guessing that Otohime leads a group of mermaids and fishmen to the surface, where they’re summarily killed or enslaved. I wouldn’t trust the Tenryuubito for a second (since I hate them too)

• May 19, 2011 at 11:48 amFuu

Hey Kiiragi, what happened to those captions that appear when you move the mouse over the pic? I miss those. Will you put them back on or make more?

• May 19, 2011 at 11:51 amKiiragi

I didn’t know people wanted them lol, I just did them for fun. I guess I’ll continue to do them then.

• May 20, 2011 at 2:43 amSeishun Otoko

You just had me clicking on One Piece’s older posts to check out Kiiragi’s random comments
      It’s a very nice touch, I must say!

• May 19, 2011 at 12:19 pmsaco3

Nice chapter thought I must say Otohime’s personalty annoys me for some reason.

I don’t think the straw hats will get a new nakama from this ark its just too soon after a 2 year separation.

• May 19, 2011 at 3:06 pmgoldoa

I doubt that it’s haki. All merpeople can speak to fish, as well as Jinbe, but it seems only Shirahoshi can speak to Sea Kings, which is what makes her special. Also, it’s not that all fishmen and merpeople are ignorant of haki, it’s just that most people in general are ignorant of its existence.

• May 19, 2011 at 4:17 pmYanDaMan

Man Otohime really annoyed me this chapter. Should’ve killed the damn Tenryuubito, I hate them just as much as anyone else. They are pretty much super exaggerated form of upper class nobility from back in the days who treats lower class like crap.

But then we always HAVE to have an idealist to ruin everything, and even though she SOMEHOW escaped death this chapter, she’ll probably die some lame way due to her naivete later. This makes it really hard for me to sympathize with her when shes so idealisticly naive, a trait I really hate in real life. Yeah im a realist.

• May 19, 2011 at 6:08 pmKiiragi

The one reason that dispels all of my hate would be her idea of not passing on their values to their kids. It’s a powerful reason that hits on many levels.

• May 19, 2011 at 6:26 pmTOP2NE1

You aren’t a fucking realist. The pragmatic person would consider the ramifications of killing a Celestial Dragon, seeing how the World Government takes any offense against them. You’re on the side that places violence and vengeance over consequence, both short and long term.

Let me ask you, would you align yourself with Martin Delaney, John Brown, and Malcolm X, or with Frederick Douglass and MLK? Which path is more practical? I’ll give you a hint! (It’s the path that won out.)

You’re the complete opposite of a realist. You sound like some comically archetypal southerner who believes he’s a step ahead of his other, more stupid friends because he went out and voted on some backwards-ass policy.

• May 19, 2011 at 6:43 pmZero

>Attempts to block out images of Mami’s demise….

• May 19, 2011 at 7:12 pmLuxorcist

No!! Don’t try to run from it! Don’t show fear! The children are watching…!! I can feel the pain from the cries of your heart. It must have been agony…!! I know the hate you have for those witches…The bitterness… The resentment!! But don’t pass that fear on to the children!!

• May 19, 2011 at 8:09 pmPikachu

Yeah this chapter was a roller coaster ride, which means I was so scared at the peak where it counts. But when the ride keeps going down and around… it was fun for a while. The story at this point has some excitement/action with the “You die now!” plot and it gave me uncertain chills. How should I say this…my interest in this has its peaks too and it’s on the last ride to hold out if something good doesn’t happen when the next chapter comes out.

• May 19, 2011 at 8:31 pmcode fanboy

Well, I can tell why Van Dreken is partly obsessed with killing the princess. If the princess does become the husband of someone else, especially someone like Luffy, then ……..I can’t think of the possibilities.

• May 20, 2011 at 6:08 amaaa

i find One Piece is having trouble keeping things focused with its increasing mass of casts and overly complex plot lines…

the plot is getting waaaay too complicated than necessary. And how many chps is Oda planning to spend on flashback?!!

• May 21, 2011 at 5:31 pmanimethis

this is good flashback and I do not mind if OP gets “too complicated.” I don’t want OP to be rushed. If a flashback needs 50 chapters, it needs 50 chapters.
    I just hope OP finishes before I die

• May 21, 2011 at 5:55 pmKiiragi

Just stay alive for 10-12 more years. I’m more worried if Oda will finish before he dies…