Usagi Drop – 03 »« Usagi Drop – 01

Usagi Drop   02   10 Usagi Drop   02   11 Usagi Drop   02   12
Usagi Drop   02   13 Usagi Drop   02   14 Usagi Drop   02   15
Usagi Drop   02   16 Usagi Drop   02   17 Usagi Drop   02   18
Usagi Drop   02   19 Usagi Drop   02   20 Usagi Drop   02   21

「ゆび切りげんまん」 (Yubikiri Genman)
“Pinky Swear”

I’m probably going to be repeating myself a lot here, but this series is very cute and heartwarming. Its strong start continues into the second episode, and it’s very straightforward and simple, almost like slice of life. Daikichi and Rin struggle through work, school, shopping, commute, and they are really just normal people facing an interesting situation. Daikichi may be a clueless new parent, but to be fair being a parent really is a learning process and few people get it right the first time. Rin is a snarky, witty little kid, but she helps him by telling him what she knows. Raising a child is no easy task, and Daikichi tries to figure things out by asking his cousin, checking the internet, and just general trial and error.

The episode proceeds through the first few days of their life together, as Rin figures out life at nursery school and Daikichi faces the difficult task of balancing his career and a new family all by himself. Given his busy job, I guess he should have been a little more careful in making promises, especially when using the very serious pinky swear. Unsurprisingly, he’s unable to keep his promise and ends up picking Rin up extremely late, getting a totally deserved pouty face. My eyes actually moistened a bit when Daikichi followed through and ate the paper needles that he swore on. It’s nice seeing him trying his best as he gets used to taking care of a child, and if there is one thing he is doing right, it would definitely be that he is perceptive to Rin’s feelings and does all he can to understand and address them.

Touching moments aside, Daikichi and Rin’s interactions are so darn cute and hilarious, but they also feel very realistic at the same time. There are plenty of subtle quirks, from Rin lecturing him on manners, fussing with each others’ hair, to directly calling him Daikichi (though considering she is technically his aunt, it’s not entirely inappropriate). Luckily for Daikichi, she’s pretty mature for her age, but in a lot of ways she’s like a normal little kid too — for example not wanting to be too close with dad in front of the other kids, being a bit nervous on her first day of school, making pouty faces, and denying embarrassing deeds. Rin’s antics and the faces she makes are utterly lovable, and I had a constant smile on my face throughout the episode. The way things are portrayed certainly makes me wish the best for the characters, and I’m trying very hard not to peek at the manga just yet.

July 15, 2011 at 8:05 am
  • July 15, 2011 at 8:15 amYuumei

This episode was a great follow up and it looks promising. I really enjoy their interactions too and the way they would “trade places” in certain dialogues and actions was pretty cute. Daikichi’s really trying his best and I’d like to see how this ends up affecting his life since he can’t really continue as is. Definitely looking forward to more of this show.

• July 15, 2011 at 8:17 amOrinX

THIS, is what I call loli fanservice. :)

• July 15, 2011 at 8:21 amProoof

wrong show maybe?

• July 15, 2011 at 8:26 amOrinX

No, you arent reading between the lines :P

Like you said this show is very cute and heart warming. That to me is “fanservice” unlike the other stuff they pull in shows like Lotte no Omocha.

• July 15, 2011 at 12:36 pmRandom dude

loli is the word used for sexualized young girls though, so you cant blame him for not understanding :P

• July 15, 2011 at 12:50 pmOrinX

How many episodes are we getting btw?

• July 16, 2011 at 5:15 amBakazuki

11 episodes.

• July 17, 2011 at 1:33 amAno14

“Loli” just means “Lolita”, it has nothing to do with being sexualized or not.

• July 18, 2011 at 1:08 pmAniC

Ano14, look up the origination of the term Lolita, and the book that spawned its popularity.

• July 15, 2011 at 9:10 amjreding

Actually I felt a bit uneasy watching this episode (in particular this and this . However, this show is simply perfect, so I decided not to think too much about it.

• July 15, 2011 at 9:20 ambabawaba

You must have a pretty sick mind if you actually think there was anything wrong with those pics,

• July 15, 2011 at 9:45 amgecd

our mind have been corrupted because we watched too many loli show
        make us cannot appreciate pure heartwarming moments
        oh god please forgive us
        ( just kidding, I can tell what is lolifanservices and what’s not )

• July 15, 2011 at 10:15 ammac65

Actually, those pictures depict realistic moments in any normal family – including the bed wetting.
        As a viewer (of the Anime), we sometimes forget that we are granted a viewpoint that is not generally
        granted to an outsider; we are uninvited guests and those scenes provide credibility and depth to the
        storytelling.

• July 15, 2011 at 7:57 pmretro

you should have linked to this image instead

• July 15, 2011 at 8:27 pmbabawaba

The only thing wrong with that pic is Rin being a chikan

• July 15, 2011 at 10:39 amrasone0104

you have a somewhat unique defenition of fan service XD

• July 15, 2011 at 8:17 amNekore44

This series really reminds me of Aishiteruze Baby. I like that it takes a realistic tone but doesn’t take it self too seriously, and I love the chemistry between Daikichi and Rin.

=^.^=

• July 15, 2011 at 8:17 amNerra

Wow first … this is new.

But moving on, I agree with you about how much of an actual slice of life this is. I also like the pacing of the series, letting things take their natural course makes it all the more realistic. And I am also soo tempted to go peek at the manga!

• July 15, 2011 at 8:18 amNerra

Ok not first, orz

• July 15, 2011 at 11:53 amTehJawknee

And this is why you shouldn’t try to announce first. Live, learn, then stfu when you need to.

• July 15, 2011 at 8:23 amtomoyostar

Haruko is his cousin, not his sister

• July 15, 2011 at 8:45 amKTNO

yeah and I think she see Daikichi as something more than just her cousin

• July 15, 2011 at 8:24 ampimpolla

im really enjoying this anime :)

• July 15, 2011 at 8:35 amrasone0104

i love this show i hope they follow the manga and show Show Spoiler ▼

• September 22, 2011 at 8:04 pmTrixie

Normally I’m against killing but this article salughteerd my ignorance.

• July 15, 2011 at 8:35 amTururu

uniqlo FTW

• July 15, 2011 at 8:36 amshiro11

Lets hope that they only animate the first half of the series, I would hate for you guys to see what the series becomes.

• July 15, 2011 at 9:19 ambabawaba

You make it sound as if the second part was terrible or sick, its not. People just make a huge deal out of nothing. I do agree though that the first part is insanely better.

• July 15, 2011 at 8:41 amKTNO

Best show so far.
    Sad, funny, the art is amazing, characters are awesome…etc.

A new challenger for Clannad?

• July 15, 2011 at 1:13 pmTaiakun

Difficult to say as they are very different series. Clannad After Story was full on drama towards the end and tried to pluck every emotional string there is to pluck. This show is more of a slice of life which is cute and lighthearted. There are some similarities, but remember that (Clannad spoiler alert) Show Spoiler ▼

. In this series that feeling of loss isn’t there, but everything else is (trying to balance work and family, learning how to be a parent etc).

• July 15, 2011 at 2:38 pmKTNO

Yeah, but I don’t look for a new Clannad, just something as powerful as After Story (first season wasn’t that great at all).
        I thought that Anoha or Hanasaku could be great dramas but my hopes are on Usagi Drop now.

And yeah the slice of life part is really great

• July 15, 2011 at 8:47 amBass.EXE

I kind of want to start reading the manga to see if this will turn into a sad series or one with a happy ending, but I also don’t want to spoil the anime which is such a fantastic adaptation. Conundrum!

• July 15, 2011 at 9:06 amc2710

thought the show might be a slow one but the decision to continue on with the 2nd ep was a good one… will stick with it

• July 15, 2011 at 9:30 ambabawaba

You shouldnt be thinking of Daikichi as Rin’s father, never forget he is just a guardian and she is his aunt. Rin doesnt see him as a father either as you can already see from their interactions and he hasnt decided on what she is to him either, the matter will be setled in a later chapter… no, not in a controversial way you sick fucks.

Dont try to find any hiden meanings on this post or this anime, dont be afraid of it, you are way sicker than it, trust me.

• July 15, 2011 at 9:46 amMaymei

• July 15, 2011 at 10:12 ambabawaba

• July 15, 2011 at 9:46 amAndré

Daikichi is doing a great job so far. Actually, better than most parents in my country. LOL.

• July 15, 2011 at 9:59 amMM

This show, always puts a smile on my face but at the same time a chuckle and a tear. This series is heart warming and it feels so real cause of the interaction between the characters. :) My kind of show

• July 15, 2011 at 10:06 aminfo600

I rather liked how the manga got “translated” into the anime so far, with some of the open thought process changed into actions that we can understand without the characters speaking their mind…with some fluffy results

• July 15, 2011 at 10:13 ambabawaba

I was going to complain about how manga Rin was way cuter than anime Rin, then that happened

• July 15, 2011 at 10:48 amsynkronized

Rin is too adorable, it’s almost criminal.

Why do people find some of this stuff awkward or suggestive? Honestly, has the anime world warped folk’s minds to the point where even something heartwarming needs to have some inherently wrong under tones?

• July 15, 2011 at 8:17 pminfo600

you kidding me? Daikichi’s acting more as a foster father than a guardian to his “aunt” (yes, I’m quoting it…) for the time being, even if Rin doesn’t want to be officially adopted…

warning: manga/future episode spoilers:

• July 15, 2011 at 8:18 pminfo600

crud…should’ve made another spoiler tag for the first part…

• July 15, 2011 at 8:28 pmbabawaba

There was nothing suggestive in this episode and there wont be anything in the future either, you are just sick

• July 15, 2011 at 8:32 pmbabawaba

And I dont even know why you tagged that as a spoiler when not only its wrong, but also not really a spoiler. The first part was, but barely.

• July 15, 2011 at 10:54 amMrBrownSound

Thx for covering this anime, it’s always nice to see what you think even if there is not a whole lot of plot movement. I agree with you that this is a very heart warming anime. I’ll need to make time to see this anime through.

• July 15, 2011 at 11:08 amahbonk

Oh man, a show like Aria and a show like Aishiteruze Baby. On top of that, Nichijou is continuing into its 2nd part.

This is truly my season!

• July 15, 2011 at 11:50 amoutcast

SO WHAT PANTSU DID THEY BUY!?!

• July 15, 2011 at 12:03 pmAK-47

Best anime of this season.Hurray for realism and real human behavior in animation.

• July 15, 2011 at 12:26 pmAndré

More or less because even kids who are very smart don’t actually behave like Rin.

• July 16, 2011 at 5:39 amlkaze

I think it’s pretty real, little kid only act spoiled brat if there are people to spoil her. In Rin case, it is clear nobody want to even bother with her. I’m guessing instead of being mature or anything, it more that she doesn’t know how to interact with other people( since crying and throwing tantrum won’t get anyone attention.)

• July 15, 2011 at 12:42 pminnerchihiro

• July 15, 2011 at 3:11 pmbabawaba

• July 15, 2011 at 12:58 pmOrinX

Forgive the double post. How many episodes are we getting btw?

• July 15, 2011 at 4:48 pmKingdragun

It´s a Noitamina show, they usually span 11-episodes series. If you ask me, as Kuragehime and Hourou Musuko isn`t enough Bunny Drop for me =/

• July 15, 2011 at 1:19 pmTaiakun

Rin bouncing around on the futon was the cutest thing since Hakase’s and Nano’s paper scissors rock game with Nano having the shark puppet and going “I love you” XD

• July 15, 2011 at 1:37 pmrobin

You know, if this series is successful, I hope to hell they make Yotsuba&! into an anime series. It’s virtually identical (except for the creepy incest factor).

• July 15, 2011 at 3:11 pmbabawaba

Tbh, the only creepy incest factor is in your head

• July 16, 2011 at 5:14 amliz

• July 16, 2011 at 8:29 amU Doh

• July 15, 2011 at 3:24 pmrufe

Are they even biologically father and child in Yotsubato? I can’t remember, but I don’t get any creepy vibes from that series at all even if they are.

• July 16, 2011 at 8:41 amU Doh

Nope. Yotsuba is supposed to be a war child and her “daddy” found out she had absolutely no one to take care of her, somewhere outside of Japan. Then he decided to be the one.

• July 15, 2011 at 4:43 pmSummelBaerli

It reminds me more of “My Girl” by Mizu Sahara in the way the so lovely and rather quietly told. “Yotsubato!” is rather.. loud and funny. “Usagi Drop” and “My Girl” are more realistic and artistic

• July 15, 2011 at 2:55 pmKentaiyoshimi

I think you have a good show/manga when characters react rather realistically to certain situations. I would have been very irritated if Daikichi started having stupid perverse thoughts about Rin sleeping next to him.

I find it especially nice how despite being a josei manga, it can appeal to both the male and female audience

• July 15, 2011 at 8:05 pmMega Masher

Confirmed: Daikichi is a pedophile.

• July 15, 2011 at 8:30 pmbabawaba

Let me fix it for you:
      “Confirmed: Mega Masher is not a pedophile, Mega Masher in the other hand…”

• July 15, 2011 at 8:31 pmbabawaba

“Confirmed: Daikichi is not a pedophile, Mega Masher in the other hand…”
        Yeah, should double check when I edit a sentence after changing my mind

• July 15, 2011 at 9:09 pmfall3nbs

I love how Rin gots up really fast at the end to tell Daikichi “it’s sweat!”

• July 15, 2011 at 10:03 pmahelo

FATHERHOOD 101

• July 15, 2011 at 10:11 pmT.K.

I swear, this show is going to be the death of me one day. It’s like seeing Tomoya and Ushio again. T^T

• July 15, 2011 at 10:15 pmJusta_Dream

Daikichi’s reaction at the end was priceless! It made me ROFLMAO!!! I’m loving this anime so far!

• July 15, 2011 at 11:13 pmSyaoran Li

Welcome to the master of slice of life. Damn right.

• July 16, 2011 at 3:17 amayasawada

The animation of this show is just *gorgeous*. That scene where Daikichi was dreaming of the cat was lovely. Really really impressed.

• July 16, 2011 at 3:19 amSnicket

Look like i get to be the first one to say this;

OMOCHIKAERI!

Kidding aside this was a rather enjoyable episode. It’s a nice change of pace from what has been on lately. My only gripe is animation style they use for some of the expressions; mostly Rin’s. (I know it’s just a different animation style, but it still looks weird.) Though that’s only a minor issue.

What lies ahead is uncertain, but it’s only a matter of time before ‘s*** gets real’ for Daikichi.

• July 16, 2011 at 5:42 amlkaze

Nobody even thought of that, and Daikichi already beat you to it. Brought Rin home.

• July 16, 2011 at 5:56 amLitho

I.G seems to be trying to stick closely to the manga’s style in terms of character design. A good thing in my book. I’m getting sick of seeing the same walking embryos in every single anime.

• July 16, 2011 at 5:43 amlkaze

This is a good show,bring drama even when they are not really trying. Whenever i thought it only be 11 episode, i just feel that it’s not enough.

• July 16, 2011 at 8:45 amDeafvader

@proof
    Technically his aunt not her aunt.

Cute ep, will def continue

• July 16, 2011 at 9:29 amProoof

fixed the typo

• July 17, 2011 at 11:36 amSpellchecker

Remember to Prooofread!

• July 16, 2011 at 9:25 ambottle

thanks a lot for covering this ! i downloaded this by mistake but its a terrific slice of life show, something really different

• July 16, 2011 at 9:44 amHD

I’m rooting for Daikichi to find a way to handle things much better & easier, but to have such a cute & unique adopted daughter in Rin is helpful.

• July 16, 2011 at 9:57 amargus88

Rin is so adorable. I also had a good chuckle from the end scene.

• July 16, 2011 at 1:33 pmKinny Riddle

In a way I sort of envy Daikichi, to have skipped past the dating and marriage phases of his life and going straight to the child-rearing phase, thus not needing to go through any of the drama that forms part of the emo-package with the first two phases. lol

(Though he did quip about getting a girlfriend so as to make his job of raising Rin easier. )

• July 16, 2011 at 3:25 pmShinjiro

I somewhat agree with you…I’d love to have my girlfriend and I go over the pregnancy phase and just raise our kids. Rin is incredibly adorable!

• July 16, 2011 at 9:16 pminfo600

…adopt a kid, maybe? (do note the trolling…)

• July 17, 2011 at 1:03 amChisel

Hey Prooof, I was wondering whether you are still going to blog Kami-sama no Memochou.

• July 17, 2011 at 1:25 amDivine

He should be getting around to it soon. I already prepped the new ending video for him.

• July 17, 2011 at 2:51 amProoof

my bad I’m a bit slow this week

• July 17, 2011 at 8:46 amKarl

I fully agree with your opinion, Prooof. Cute, but in a realistic way. Its pretty cool to show her compared to the hyperactive and very childish Reina. I dunno how long I can surpress the impulse of reading the manga @.@

• July 17, 2011 at 12:05 pmLilian

I’m surprised some people find this show disturbing. O_O

I’m going to assume its the whole east vs. west ordeal, the difference between parenting in the east and parenting in the west. There were similar reactions for even My Neighbor Totoro where some people were saying the dad was a pedo because he was taking a bath with his 2 little girls. Or he was just “too close” to his daughters.

• July 17, 2011 at 11:57 pmTaksun

I remember when I watched the first episode, I thought the animation was a little bit weird at the beginning before the opening. Guess they do it on purpose. Great episode by the way.

• July 21, 2011 at 11:04 pmSnK

I died when Daikichi thought it was him who left the wet spot in the bed before he thought it was her. DIED.