Nichijou – 19 »« Nichijou – 17

Nichijou   18   31 Nichijou   18   32 Nichijou   18   33
Nichijou   18   34 Nichijou   18   35 Nichijou   18   36
Nichijou   18   37 Nichijou   18   38 Nichijou   18   39
Nichijou   18   40 Nichijou   18   41 Nichijou   18   42

「日常18」 (Nichijou 18)
“My Ordinary Life 18″

As much as I feel for Yukko and her horrible experience at Starbucks Daiku coffee, I was completely floored when her plans backfired on her. The moment I realized that she was trying to setup Mio; I had this feeling in the pit of my stomach that it was going to go completely awry. All I know is that the next time I go to Starbucks, I’m going to order a grande white chocolate mocha frap and a short single-shot and extra wipped espresso with caramel sauce, hazelnut syrup, and chocolate chips. I can just feel the obesity coming.

Can you guess what happens to people who try to set others up? After getting that short moment of pure bliss, things tend to go astray pretty quickly — especially in Yukko’s case. If getting her plans to backfire on her wasn’t enough, I think I was about to die as I watched her almost win the crane game only to have the crane break while holding her prize. I mean, the chances of that happening are so slim it’s just ridiculous to even think about it. To round out all the bad luck, Yukko’s way of letting embarrassment get the better of her had me nearly in tears. I’m sure it’s happened to all of you at least once, where you do something dumb in public and because you’re so embarrassed, you continue to do really dumb things until you just stop caring because of how dumb you feel.

Besides Yukko’s horrible day, Sasahara and Misato finally get another skit together! I’ve missed our trigger happy tsundere blow up Sasahara in various ways, never able to get her true emotions out. But who would believe that Misato would have such a normal little sister? Tachibana Mihoshi, the girl with the shinai in the opening, finally appears! Besides not inheriting Misato’s explosive personality, I’d assume this is how any of us would react if we witnessed Yukko’s worst day ever.

While I’ve given up trying to understand most of the Helvetica Standard skits, this week’s weren’t as confusing. I’m not sure what topics other then suicide a gun inside a book could represent, but I hope that a show like Nichijou wouldn’t reference such things and that I’m just over analyzing a simple skit. On the other hand, the Love-Teki skits have been something that I look forward to every single week. They’ve always been something just so cute and adorable that if you heart isn’t tingling a bit, you need to get yourself examined. The only thing I can say about this week’s is that I hope when I have a daughter, her teacher will be someone as compassionate and caring as this one was.

I don’t want to even know how Princess Starla and her legion of soldiers on a floating blimp managed to get more screen time. Besides feeling completely out of place, the only thing I can think about saying is at the rate things are going, nothing on Mio’s head is going to be real.

ED6: 「グリーングリーン」 (Green Green) by 佐咲紗花 (Sasaki Sayaka)
Watch the 6th ED!: Streaming ▼

August 1, 2011 at 11:49 pm
  • August 2, 2011 at 12:06 amLuxorcist

Oh good you fixed the number in the URL. ^_^

Anyways, I haven’t watched Nichijou in a while. Dunno…

• August 2, 2011 at 12:11 amRicalloo

Ahh, I felt the same way about the teacher doing a very long count so her student could finish!

And, I like the blimp skits. I think it is a fantasy world Yūko has created. She goes there when she daydreams or something. I found the entirety of it to be hilarious.

• August 2, 2011 at 12:34 amkazukifafner

Mio is once again the master of trolling.

Who else would give their friend a treble clef for a map?

• August 2, 2011 at 3:12 amRichfeet

Her Name is Mai!

• August 2, 2011 at 10:28 amkazukifafner

Ah, sorry. I always mix Mai and Mio’s names up :P

• August 2, 2011 at 1:51 pmRicalloo

You aren’t the only one. I do it all the time as well.

• August 2, 2011 at 12:34 aminnerchihiro

Kind of an up in the air episode. There were good parts, and some not so good parts.
    I like Misato.
    At least with the Starla thing, they’re using the same theme each time.

(You have two of the same screencaps by the way.)

• August 2, 2011 at 1:40 amTakaii

I do..?

• August 2, 2011 at 2:42 amLurker

Pic #18 is doubled.

Pic #1,9 which is already uploaded in the server, is a pic of gundere’s imouto.

• August 2, 2011 at 2:43 amLurker

*pic #19

• August 2, 2011 at 4:28 amMrRei

it’s a bit easy to miss. like:
        “The little boy wants to
        to go to the big zoo.” :p

• August 2, 2011 at 9:50 amTakaii

Cap 18 is Sakamoto and Hakase
        Cap 19 is Gundere’s Imouto (:

Make sure your cache are cleared? D:

• August 2, 2011 at 4:01 pminnerchihiro

Hmmm, must have been on my end because it’s fixed now.

• August 2, 2011 at 6:06 amKarmafan

I love the Princess Starla skits. I LOLed as each guy tried to impress her and fail miserably. Especially at the end when the blue pompoms fell out of the sky and ONLY Yukko saw them attach/replace Mia’s hair. The skits are so rare and so random that they fit in well with the rest of this series.

• August 4, 2011 at 11:16 amahbonk

I’m pretty sure the idea is that she was sleeping and dreaming the whole thing, only to wake up and disturb the whole class.

• August 2, 2011 at 2:03 amBaby Choo Choo

Yeah, I’m not quite sure what to make of that book segment. I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to laugh or not considering I had no idea what they were hinting at or if they were hinting at anything at all.

This Love-Teki skit was also pretty great but the guy giving his baseball cap to the girl (I assume manager) a few episodes ago was like the most adorable thing in the world to me lol.

• August 2, 2011 at 2:27 amKurofaise

My favourite episode so far I think. The on on the train and how she just keeps embarrassing herself and then when Mai appears just made me almost tear up with laughter.

• August 2, 2011 at 2:41 amTaiakun

Is this the first posting of Nichijou without a single mention of Nano or Hakase? O_O

• August 2, 2011 at 3:19 amNadavu

doppio!!

• August 2, 2011 at 4:37 amNadavu

Every time I watch Nichijou, I am filled anew with awe and respect towards the people who create this show. Half of it isn’t even trying to be funny, only… Nichijou-ish. You need some set of balls to risk your livelihood by putting something so out there on television!

• August 2, 2011 at 3:36 amZaku Fan

I wonder if biscuit boy number 2 will become a regular

• August 2, 2011 at 4:35 amMrRei

Mouse“?! And all this time I thought that part of the body was “Mouth”.. my basic education betrayed me again!

• August 2, 2011 at 6:57 pminphamus

you’re familiar with the Japanese’s difficulty pronouncing western words, right?

• August 2, 2011 at 8:09 pmSoiyeruda

Could just be a play on words, since the english “Mouth” and “Mouse” sound the same when pronounced in Japanese.

• August 2, 2011 at 4:47 ammegalith

Well let me fill you in anyway. That’s in the manga and there’s more of that Show Spoiler ▼

Personally I’m hoping for KyoAni to adapt. Also that’s the same premise of the PSP game as well. In the game you have to produce an episode to entertain the princess.

Anyway Mihoshi is so adorable. Needs more screentime! Since this show most likely will never get another season due to poor sales(by KyoAni standards), I’m hoping they wrap up the pairings and the side characters.

In any case I love how Mai trolled Yuuko in this manner. You go trick or treating late but here’s the catch Mai was fully disguised hence less shame. Meanwhile the latter…. Well…

Enjoyed this ep though the last skit was the killer one.

RIP: Henchmen #66(Jun Fukuyama)

• August 2, 2011 at 4:52 amgawrshness

well if anything in Yukko’s imagination we come to understand that Princess Starla isn’t any better than Dolph.

• August 2, 2011 at 5:13 amx

Another nice episode. I didn’t enjoy the blimp segment that much though. I somehow never found any of the previous blimp segments funny.

• August 2, 2011 at 5:24 amjingoi

I like the Helvetica Standard skits though this was off a bit.
    I still hate Misato, thanks to her I can’t stand tsunderes anymore.

• August 2, 2011 at 7:37 amNth

The girl wanted to read the book… but now she can’t.

• August 2, 2011 at 8:12 amKaris

Is it me, or was Yukko looked really adorable when she’s embarrassed?

• August 2, 2011 at 10:51 amKinny Riddle

I get the feeling Yuuko will continue to feel tormented by Mihoshi, as her sister Misato is Yuuko’s classmate and so would certainly cross paths again.

• August 2, 2011 at 8:25 amNorwegium

Real or not, the fact that everything on Mio’s head is “sent” from heaven is somewhat awesome.

• August 2, 2011 at 10:49 amKinny Riddle

I had a feeling those blue cheerleading pom-pons Henchman #8 was holding had something to do with Mio’s hair when the previous skit concerning Princess Starla and her henchmen also led to Yuuko figuring out where Mio’s hairpieces came from.

(Special LMAO at Henchman #66′s dying scream, for he is none other than Fukuyama Jun)

Mihoshi totally knew how to push the right buttons and make her tsundere big sister go into cute dere-dere mode. XD

At first I was expecting some sort of robotic sibling rivalry between Nano and Biscuit #2, but nothing came out of it, so that was sort of a let down this week, besides the Helvetica Standard skit, which are still enigmatic to me.

• August 2, 2011 at 10:53 amKinny Riddle

I think you’re reading too much into this. I was certainly not thinking of suicide when I saw the gun, rather, I interpreted it as the one-piece dress lady (VA: Kuwatani Natsuko) being a professional assassin seeking out her hidden weapon for the next hit.

• August 2, 2011 at 11:09 amBROOKLYN otaku

yeah, I agree. You went way deep and DARK with that one T. I got the “assassin going back to her long lost true love..a chief special!” vibe from it. OR I also felt it coulda been that she actually was looking forward to reading that “hard to find” book from her past, and after finally coming back to it after all that time apparently someone turned it into a gat hide-away… either way I LOVE IT!!!!! and that part with yukio embarrassing herself in the Train LOLOLOL!!!

• August 2, 2011 at 12:51 pmhelen

Yukko is so over-sensitive. She would definitely fail in the States, and probably attempt suicide.

“That sheep didn’t make it over the fence.” Lol. Sakamoto.

• August 2, 2011 at 1:59 pmrasone0104

Mai in a knight armor a week after holloween…
    thats just trolling to the max…

• August 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm3242

The gun in the book I was thinking probably meant that, she found it, and it brightened her childhood because then, she could go trigger happy and kill lots of people~
    Nobody ever knew who it was that murdered half the town.. nobody knew..

• August 2, 2011 at 4:52 pmmac65

I knew exactly what was going to happen at the coffee shop -
    but it still was amazingly funny! Actually, I was expecting/hoping
    Mio to start a dialogue with the girl – almost like a foreign
    language with them exchanging coffee pleasantries and so on
    with a WTF expression on Yukko as she looked on. But this was good!

Anybody notice “Mechanical Date” on the Blueprint! Deliberate typo…?

I really enjoy this series…

• August 3, 2011 at 1:22 amShirt

Why can’t we have Nichijou every season.. <3 I think the world would be a better place. *is so buying the DVDs*

• August 3, 2011 at 8:14 aminferno10

What in the world is that yellow thing? Is it a sun figurine?

• August 3, 2011 at 10:46 amJVision5

The princess segment was LOL.

• August 3, 2011 at 3:07 pmHD

absolutely LOL. Even the confident Comedian Thirteen wasn’t able to make the princess laugh. But thumbs up to the maker of the giant balloon plane, it looks like there were no button to press to make anyone (any failed comedian & unlucky ones), to open a trap door beneath them. It would be cruel to test that in real life (of course with a soft landing), but the audience could have a laugh after a comedian failed attempts to even make them smirk.

I agree with helen, “That sheep didn’t make it over the fence.” For me, it makes it sound that cow didn’t escape the grilling.

The ‘Like Love’ sketch were as fine as last week’s (office lady giving cup of coffee to colleague), showing a different type of warmness, but still the first one (baseball cap girl), so far is the best.

• August 3, 2011 at 12:00 pmCharles (^_^)

ok the book and gun skit was not about suicide >.>

you know how some people like to cut out books and hide things in them well thats what happened and the funny part was that it happens to be the book she was wanting.

so yes you were suppose to laugh at that part
    (also liquor would of also been funny XD)

• September 11, 2011 at 1:14 pmjosephsk

I was surprised to see people thinking that the girl in the helvetica standard segment was going to shoot herself or others, after all nichijou is all about weird disappointments and pranks!

• August 4, 2011 at 8:48 amKaris

I noticed that nobody made a comment on Nakamura Sensei’s latest antics to dissect poor Nano, yet failed big time, Lol.

• August 5, 2011 at 3:24 amWXYZ

Helvetica standard seems like a parody of dantalian no shoka.

• August 7, 2011 at 4:05 amKumakaori

As soon as we hit the blimp.. i had my thoughts it might be another falling-onto-mio’s-head skit. .. The pom-poms made me really suspicious. and the end result was expected. … Man that princess is to-oooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh *sorry fell into space*…

That science professor XD;. best self sabotaging ever. I look forward to her next epic fail :D. Hopefully she’ll be out of the hospital soon.