High School DxD – 04 »« High School DxD – 02

High School DxD   03   25 High School DxD   03   26 High School DxD   03   27
High School DxD   03   28 High School DxD   03   29 High School DxD   03   30
High School DxD   03   31 High School DxD   03   32 High School DxD   03   33
High School DxD   03   34 High School DxD   03   35 High School DxD   03   36

「友達、できました!」 (Tomodachi, Dekimashita!)
“Made a Friend!”

With the miles of exposition out-of-the-way, the story is finally getting interesting! Perhaps this is because we’ve entered the part where us ignorant non-light-novel-or-manga readers don’t know what’s going to happen next. Before this, we knew Issei was going to die and become a devil (it was in all the promotional material), and the Scared Gear came too abruptly for any tension or anticipation to build (plus, it was in the OP), but with the arrival of Asia Argento (Asakura Azumi), we’re finally getting into something interesting. “But Stilts!” you say, “Asia is in the OP too! We know she’s going to join the protagonists!”. Yes, but shush! We know she’ll join, but we don’t know how, and since they didn’t resolve it all in one episode we’re left wondering. Finally, there’s more tension in the plot than just that in Rias-senpai and Akeno-senpai’s uniform tops.

That said, I guess the exposition wasn’t completely done with, as the whole chess motif was finally explained. I didn’t have a problem with it this time though. Whereas in episode 2 all the exposition was delivered while standing around and just talking, here it was done much better. For one, the chess stuff was less obvious, so it was actually interesting to learn about. It was also delivered during a largely inconsequential battle, which is always appreciated. It’s nice to have something to look at during exposition, provided it’s not so important that the talking detracts from the action. There’s also just something about classifying people into what basically amounts to classes that I really enjoy. Probably a lifetime of Tolkien-inspired fantasy RPGs and the whole Fate franchise are to blame for that one.

In addition, the character traits that I found irksome last week disappeared. Rias-senpai still scolded Issei, but it was obvious that it was out of concern. As for Issei himself, while he was still plenty perverted – especially about the tit-laser demon with the large rack – he was much more heroic. The part at the end where he was yelling for Asia and struggling to get to her really made me like him even more. As I’ve said before, I like my perverts to have hearts of gold, and Issei is finally proving that he may actually deserve the Harem King title he wants so badly. Well done, sir.

If I had any qualms about this episode, it was that it painted the minions of the church as pretty psycho. In a confrontation between devils and a holy man, it was clear who the good guys were, and hoo-boy, it was not that priest. I would have preferred a little more moral ambiguity than this, but perhaps that’s just me. It’s a minor sticking point anyway…this guy was just a small fry, so it’s okay for him to be a little kooky. I’ll just be irked if all members of the church are like that, save for Asia, of course.

Full-size images: 15, 26.

High School DxD   03   Preview 01 High School DxD   03   Preview 02 High School DxD   03   Preview 03
January 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm
  • January 20, 2012 at 6:43 pmBaka-Yuusha

Koneko-chan is adorable. ^^

By the way, are you going to keep reviewing Inu x Boku SS?

• January 20, 2012 at 9:40 pmSakurawings1

yeah i was going to say, i wanted to know if you were gonna include ino x boku SS, i was kinda expecting it here, im sad it isnt :(

• January 21, 2012 at 12:50 amStilts

I am not. On Divine’s advice, I’m only taking two series this season, to get into the swing of things without burning out. He’s hoping to keep us writers around for as long as possible, and I for one would like to facilitate this : ) I will be watching it though, and you can follow my impressions on (shameless plug) my twitter.

• January 20, 2012 at 6:54 pmAnimesetsuna

I like Koneko. She is soo~ cute.

• January 20, 2012 at 7:06 pmMR.KLAC

ok now we got a crazy wacky excorcist person who total nutcase really whoever voicing that excorcist is so PLAYING AGAINST TYPE.

yet also laser shooting acid melt doobi beam?! yea queen’s blade called melona is so going why you doobi milk attack on it.

also seem looking indeed plot starting to hmm with nun girl appear got wonder what next & being a pawn you got long way to be harem king.

really wonder funi going to dub this series someday (must think which funi va to cast on it.)

• January 21, 2012 at 3:25 amEnmire

How high were you last night?

• January 21, 2012 at 5:23 amMR.KLAC

MR.KLAC is no high & besides it was around 10:30 or 11:00am i watch ep.3 of dxd in asian time zone of jan 21.

besides really i’m not into HIGH stuff give i’m wondering who funi will cast in english dub version of it.

• January 20, 2012 at 8:18 pmjrj

Harem King starting as a pawn?! this is going to be interesting…
    too bad I am still on Rias-senpai’s ship, but I still like how Issin became a bit more likeable with his actions this episode. Though there is no way he can be a harem king until he master that gear of his… (right now it is just a power glove that hit people…)
    and again, that ED animation… wants more!

• January 20, 2012 at 9:27 pmjustin

just love this hentai

• January 20, 2012 at 10:12 pmJuni

Asia! so kawaii

• January 20, 2012 at 10:40 pmDa5id

Boobs, boobs everywhere.

• January 20, 2012 at 11:18 pmRyouichi

As far as I recall, in the manga Asia and that exorcist are actually rogue from the Church. More like, excommunicated. They explain that during Issei’s impending doom, but I guess Japan just wants to hate the church.

• January 21, 2012 at 7:23 amstei

No it was even said in the anime as well, that he was a “rogue exorcist” at least once. Rogue exorcists are exorcists in line with the fallen angels.

• January 21, 2012 at 7:26 amThe Moondoggie

I don’t think excommunicated members are part of the Church anymore.

• January 20, 2012 at 11:28 pmAsakura

The battle with that other devil was quite titillating.

• January 20, 2012 at 11:38 pmArcad

Novels for this series is amazing, but only 2 volumes translated so far…..

• January 21, 2012 at 1:56 amYanDaMan

Boobs

• January 21, 2012 at 4:20 amewok40k

first – your main site is now classified as NSFW with the fanservice shots of angelic/demonic boobs – and with fondling, no less
    second – lightsabers yeah!
    third – nun fanservice! and Asia certainly has some assets advantage over Index…

• January 21, 2012 at 4:29 amoutcast

I too appreciate the subtelty they try to show us with angels that can be bad and demons that can be good.
    It makes me think so hard about other stuff in life too.
    This work is as profound as the dalai lama teachings.

• January 21, 2012 at 7:10 amFling

Yes, it’s almost as profound as the Disgaea story.

• January 21, 2012 at 6:37 amdoujin material

whatever happened to that nun after they left her with that priest…

• January 21, 2012 at 6:18 pmZero

I wanted to know the same thing. Any answers anybody?

• January 21, 2012 at 7:25 pmArcad

Even in the novels nothing was referenced to happening “that” night. But that girls has a rough couple days ahead of her after that.

• January 21, 2012 at 11:43 pmZnail

You are aware this is a anime series right? There will be more episodes that will answer your question.

• January 21, 2012 at 7:08 amFling

“Yatta!” – I know you probably weren’t referencing anything but I got a Hiro Nakamura vibe just then :P

I somehow managed to watch the first 2 eps and skim through the 3rd ep but I can’t motivate myself any further.

But hey, I give them credit for how outrageous they are. I mean those tit lasers lol.

• January 21, 2012 at 8:44 amCybersteel

Ooh non-flat/loli nun fanservice wooho! I’m pretty certain playing as an outgoing pervert is sooo much better than an introverted “nice gai”

• January 21, 2012 at 11:39 amboingman

Damn, censoring! But wait, only the gore, while the nekkid boobs & painties stayed untouched. Phew, no problem then. :D

• January 21, 2012 at 2:08 pmbelatkuro

They glossed over why the Chess Piece system was created.
    It was because the devils lost a lot of people in the Great War and so needs to have specialized devils to make up for numbers.
    And you gotta wonder about the remaining chess pieces. 1 rook, 1 knight, 1 bishop(they missed here that Rias has a bishop who is out of town) and 7 pawns. Some of them havent been filled yet. Add the fact that Asia is in the OP and ED and…yup.

Also, laser bewbs is definitely not in the novels but it was a disgusting enemy.

Finally, who’s the seiyuu of the crazy priest?

• January 21, 2012 at 3:39 pmFabio

Daughter of Dario Argento, an Italian film director, producer and screenwriter, well known for his work in the Italian giallo genre and for his influence on modern horror and slasher movies. :)

• January 22, 2012 at 6:50 amragez

yes, the Author did say that he take that name for the nun character as reference.

• January 21, 2012 at 4:45 pmThe_Magus_Killer

Now I’m wondering who’s more crazy: Kotomine Kirei or the priest in this episode. Haha. *loads an Origin bullet into the Thompson Contender*

• January 21, 2012 at 11:24 pmCybersteel

No…no… Kotomine Kirei isn’t crazy, he’s just bored with life. He wouldn’t stoop so low as to rape a nun, unless its really necessary like for instance to restores one’s magical circuits.

• January 22, 2012 at 3:43 amThe_Magus_Killer

Red eyes, check.
        White hair, check.
        Enjoys slaughter, check.
        Expressions include the adjective/adverb “shitty”, check.

Isn’t the priest in this episode an expy of a certain scientific level 5 ESPer called Accelerator? XD

• January 22, 2012 at 4:03 amCybersteel

I guess but I was distracted by this.

• January 22, 2012 at 4:34 pmThe Moondoggie

Got anymore? +1 respect to you….

• January 22, 2012 at 9:38 pmsuff

Kotomine Kirei is WAY more sophisticated as a character than what we see here.

• January 21, 2012 at 8:25 pmskylion

AH’M A FIRIN’ MAH LAZOR…has taken on a whole new meaning with this show. Good gravy, this one really loves to straddle that line between hentai and ecchi. Unlike most hentai, it looks like it has a sense of purpose (which by my experience is mostly shock and titilation….not bad things, really, but….). Now this purpose isn’t that deep, this isn’t a Miyazaki film. But it isn’t depraved, nor is it pointless.

I know it’s far to early to vote for best ED, but with the 2011 poll still rather fresh in mind, I’m going to state without equivocation that this ED with be the one to beat. Pretty much encapsulates the show, the characters, and the purpose. Besides, it has my fave Koneko flashing that scissor kick. HNNNNNNNG, indeed.

Thanks to Fabio for pointing out the origin of our brand new favorite nun. I wonder how Asia herself feels about this appropriation. I haven’t found out any connections online. But considering her horror background, she just might be a fan.

• January 22, 2012 at 1:17 pmsuff

So is Asia going to be the “Bishop” piece? I am pretty sure Rias didn’t mention one…

• January 22, 2012 at 4:25 pmCroco

Too bad there’s only 12 episodes. This show totally replace Bleach’s unlimited run

• January 23, 2012 at 8:05 amRyougaZell

Dude… careful with the shots on the main page.

• January 24, 2012 at 5:22 pmechidna0205

that monster is always touching her boobs @.@

• January 27, 2012 at 3:08 pmdarkkodiak

Good episode as it left me wanting to know more. I hope from the preview that we are going to see some awesome devil and fallen angel battle scenes. I’m guessing the first person in Issei’s harem will be Koneko?