Nisemonogatari – 04 »« Nisemonogatari – 02

Nisemonogatari – 03

OP1.5 Sequence

Nisemonogatari   OP1.5   01 Nisemonogatari   OP1.5   02 Nisemonogatari   OP1.5   03
Nisemonogatari   OP1.5   04 Nisemonogatari   OP1.5   05 Nisemonogatari   OP1.5   06

OP: 「二言目」 (Futakotome) by 斎藤千和 (Saitou Chiwa)
Watch the OP: Streaming ▼

Nisemonogatari   03   25 Nisemonogatari   03   26 Nisemonogatari   03   27
Nisemonogatari   03   28 Nisemonogatari   03   29 Nisemonogatari   03   30
Nisemonogatari   03   31 Nisemonogatari   03   32 Nisemonogatari   03   33
Nisemonogatari   03   34 Nisemonogatari   03   35 Nisemonogatari   03   36
Nisemonogatari   03   37 Nisemonogatari   03   38 Nisemonogatari   03   39
Nisemonogatari   03   40 Nisemonogatari   03   41 Nisemonogatari   03   42

「かれんビー 其ノ參」 (Karen Bii Sono San)
“Karen Bee Part Three”

The Eye of Horus, a symbol of ancient Egypt representing protection, royal power, and good health, is originally personified by the goddess Wadjet – but a more modern-day personification would be the tsundere goddess Senjougahara Hitagi. After two episodes of character reintroductions and development that some people found too slow for their tastes, this third episode wasted little time in developing the plot instead.

The episode began on a lighthearted note as Kanbaru continues where she left off by flirting with Araragi while they take a break from cleaning up her books, which is great because I can’t get enough of how straightforward she is compared to the other girls in his life. The relationship map where Kanbaru describes herself as Araragi’s 2nd mistress was hilarious to see especially considering the fact that she thinks that he’ll end up marrying Hanekawa while truly being in love with Hachikuji. I absolutely think she’s spot on when she says that there is no way he’d refuse her if she really pursue him. I know I wouldn’t be able to resist a mistress like that.

In hindsight, several of Kanbaru’s lines in this episode made me think that she knows far more about the overall plot than she lets on. The first line that stood out was when she reassured Araragi about Hanekawa and Senjougahara’s relationship. At first, I thought it was merely because she didn’t approve of the way the two girls are off in their own world, but given the events at the end of the episode, I now think she actually knows about Hanekawa and Senjougahara’s plans. It also makes me wonder if Kanbaru’s game of Hanafuda wasn’t simply a ploy to avoid Araragi getting tangled up in the plans of the two girls. Then again, maybe it was all just a plan for her to win and get Araragi to enter a sexual pact/act with her. Another line that seems foreboding was Kanbaru’s reference to Nadeko as being the true final boss that Araragi is not yet aware of. I don’t know how this will pan out, but it will definitely make me pay more attention to Nadeko’s behavior.

Concerned about having to tell his sisters about his vampirism, Araragi asks Kanbaru how she explains her Rainy Devil arm to her family. All I needed to know about how she felt was written plainly on her face and in the hushed tone of her voice. The mood and environment had quickly darkened (and reddened) and I knew something serious was coming up, which turned out to be the introduction of the con man Kaiki Deishuu (Miki Shinichiro) standing outside Kanbaru’s house. I’m not very familiar with any of Miki Shinichiro’s roles as an “evil” character so I don’t know how he is at portraying those archetypes, but his brief performance as Kaiki has been convincing so far.

With the setting sun at his back filtered through the claws of dead tree branches, SHAFT sure knows how to animate an artistic and ominous entrance. Even though Kaiki’s interest in Kabaru, the presumable child of Gaen, worries Araragi, his resemblance to both Oshino and the Guillotine Cutter is probably the reasons why Araragi quickly abandoned pursuing him. Kanbaru’s connection to the Kaiki through her mother is yet another reason to suspect that she might know more about the situation than she lets on.

Araragi escapes one danger, only to ignore all the warning signs and rides his bike right into another danger: Senjougahara, who takes full advantage of her tsundere status in this episode. I’ve heard a lot of guys would love to have her as their girlfriend, but upon further reflection, I don’t think I’m a part of that group. She somehow knows about every misdeed you commit, can read your eyes like a book to see what girls you’ve been with, constantly peppers you with insults (admittedly, they are some of the wittiest insults ever), and threatens to kill you and every woman you have been involved with. The deadpan manner in which she delivers her lines does take a lot of the edge off her words, and when she does happen to show emotion, you know that it is genuine – like the abrupt change in her demeanor once she heard that Araragi met Kaiki.

Now back in the present day, we finally learn why Senjougahara kidnapped Araragi – to protect him from Kaiki until he leaves town. I guess her earlier comment about bee poison in the first episode was just a red herring. Like Araragi, I noticed how unusual it was for her to hold such animosity for someone, but we quickly found out the reason was because of the role Kaiki played in her past. He was one of five con men who started Senjougahara’s problems in Bakemonogatari, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he is also the person that the Fire Sisters are searching for as source of the curse rumors. Tsuhiki’s text-message plea for help only further cemented my suspicions and led to my favorite scene of the series so far: Araragi breaking free of all his restraints once he heard that his sister was in trouble. No sparkles here, just sheer, understated awesomeness.

Kanbaru was right: Araragi and Senjougahara truly make a great couple. Her vow to protect him at all costs was rare moment of real emotional affection, as she didn’t want to lose yet another important thing in her life. The scene that really has me rethinking my membership in Senjougahara camp is her blushing heartfelt declaration of love upon seeing Araragi as a man of justice who stops at nothing to save people. This whole episode encapsulates why we find tsunderes so appealing. It is often said that a courtship resembles a game, and a tsundere represents the highest goal of that game. We endure their attitude in hopes of being the only one to witness the rare moments when their temperament undergoes a drastic 180-degree turn, like Senjougahara does during her phone call with Hanekawa and afterwards as well. Who knew the silver-tongued beauty could stutter like that?

I didn’t think there was anything more that Nisemonogatari could do to make the wait for the next episode even more excruciating, but I have never been so glad to be wrong. We’re given more questions than answers in this episode, but when those questions revolve around such interesting characters, can you really complain?

*Araragi’s hair does look like a sapling coming out of the ground
*Full-length image: 04

January 22, 2012 at 1:40 am
  • January 22, 2012 at 1:53 amsaka

for anybody wondering who Guillotine Cutter is, he is a character from kizumonogatari.

gahara+araragi, more better than the OTHER vampire+human couple.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:45 amc2710

I’ve seen snipets of other vampire+human relationships and i must agree w u on hitagi x churaragi pairing

• January 22, 2012 at 4:26 amnagi

Ohh.. I’m actually trying to recall who Guillotine Cutter was from Bakemonogatari.. but did he actually appeared there? or at least mentioned before? Because Araragi’s mentioning it like the viewers actually know who the heck he is.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:45 amhurin

No, Guillotine Cutter is a character from the upcoming movie Kizumonogatari, which is a prequel to Bakemonogatari.
        We do see a glimpse of him in the OP of episode 1.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:45 amFencedude

He’s from Kizumonogatari, the prequel to Bakemonogatari that was (very briefly) summarized at the beginning of the first episode of Bakemono.

Kizumono will be getting a movie later this year.

• January 22, 2012 at 1:06 pmPtolemaios00

I think MAYBE Guillotine Cutter was in the Bakemonogatari anime for like less than half a second during the first few scenes of the first episode that quickly skimmed through the Kizumonogatari timeline.

• January 22, 2012 at 6:20 am0927123

I prefer the vampire + vampire couple.

• January 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm0927123

Man I feel alone in the Koyomi + Shinobu ship.

• January 23, 2012 at 2:55 pmJif

• January 22, 2012 at 7:11 amdbm

OTHER vampire human couple… Hazuki & Kouhei Morioka?

• January 22, 2012 at 11:35 amZáresh

I think they’re talking about Twilight.

• January 22, 2012 at 6:48 pmc2710

i believe so…. so am i

• January 22, 2012 at 7:34 pmChaos

Guillotine Cutter is the character from Kizu-. It was something along the line of Araragi turned to a vampire by Shinobu and the Guillotine Cutter defeated her. I believe he was the vampire hunter similar to Alcard in Hellsing.

• January 22, 2012 at 1:54 amShrubbery

Can’t wait for next week >_<

• January 22, 2012 at 1:56 amCorn

Is it just me who thinks Sengoku looks waaay better with her fringe down? Then again Araragi likes it out of the way and I know she will listen to him more XD

Nice episode. Looks like things are finally moving on with the introduction of most characters out of the way :)

Also epic shot is epic http://randomc.net/image/Nisemonogatari/Nisemonogatari%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2003.jpg

• January 22, 2012 at 2:16 amSaya

Agree, I dislike the forehead. She’s much cuter in the shot above.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:05 amReshenKusaga

I seriously want to find out what Hanekawa said to make Senjougahara stutter like that. If only my moonspeak was good enough to read the light novels.

Amazing wordplay as usual in this usual. And I guess SHAFT decided to pony up some dollars to finish the OP.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:06 amI like trains

Does anyone know how much more of pure awesomeness can i expect form this anime series?

• January 22, 2012 at 2:12 amryuuzaki

that was some talkative stranger!
    nanda ka, iya na kanji ga suru na
    i dont want my girlfriend to physically and mentally abuse me like that, but if its senjougahara, well i might i enjoy it :)
    i was kinda lost in the phone call scene, dunno why.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:12 amSaya

The that fact Arararagi can break chains that easily really proves that he is a maso. Blushing Gahara is the best. Actually scratch that. Any Gahara is the best. Loved her ‘adultery’ detection (d’aww Arararagi plays with his grandma) and imitation of Hachikuji even though she’s never talked to her… Also had some flashbacks of last season’s ep.12 when she was reaching around for his “phone”.

I wonder what Hanekawa and Gahara are up to…

Man these episodes are too short.

• January 22, 2012 at 3:52 amCybersteel

Didn’t realize that Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari was that good. Thanks for your comment.

Sometimes I feel like reading the light novel but suddenly realized that I already have!

• January 22, 2012 at 11:50 pmSaya

I’m guessing that you’re referring to my comment from last week? Haha no problem. Song is a classic for me. And I wouldn’t have known any of my favourite artists (composers, singers even illustrators) today if I never looked up the genius behind it. :3

Then read it again! \:D/

• January 24, 2012 at 12:45 pmSapphirearcz

he wasnt the one who broke the chains 0.0
      but you will know in the next episode probably XD

• January 22, 2012 at 2:14 amFencedude

I feel like everything I thought I knew about Tsubasa needs to be reevaluated.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:30 amPtolemaios00

Nadeko = last boss
    Great observation, Kanbaru!

HanekawaXSenjougaharaXKoyomi tri-couple…I think that’s how the ordering goes.

• January 22, 2012 at 4:43 amOni

HanekawaXSenjougaharaXKoyomi would be awesome

• January 22, 2012 at 4:55 amNemuri

don’t forget his true love, Hachikuji…:}}

• January 26, 2012 at 1:15 amAiRiSuDaiSuKi

ThIS XDD

I am a happy araragi x hitagi shipper, but my inner fanboyism just can’t ignore the deliciousness of yuri; may that be hitagi x hanekawa or kanbaru x hitagi <<<33 if i may please, i would prefer these two to happen over the het one.XDD

• January 22, 2012 at 2:30 amKTNO

This is the Honey Araragi. Honey Araragi frees himself whenever he wants.
    Honey Araragi don’t care. Honey Araragi just don’t give a shit.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:33 amhurin

Notice the powerfull death imagery here with Araragi and Kaiki seperated by a river. http://randomc.net/image/Nisemonogatari/Nisemonogatari%20-%2003%20-%20Large%2012.jpg

Aarargi in tha land of the living looking over at Kaiki in the land of the dead.

• January 22, 2012 at 3:53 amCybersteel

“…the wind…is restlesss.”

• January 22, 2012 at 10:30 amverdant

“Potato chips at the convenience store are HALF OFF!”

• January 22, 2012 at 2:44 amc2710

The weekend has ended w the episode. I can’t wait for the next one.

I don’t care what detractors say about nise- but being the SHAFT fan that I am, this MIGHT be the best show of winter or 2012.

That aside, i have to agree with what verdant says about kanbaru. She might know more than what i thought. Also, hitagi in any hitagi mode is still an absolute win for my. The representation of my ideal partner.

After hearing what kanbaru says bout sengoku and hanekawa’s phone call, i think i may need to reevaluate my thoughts bout them.

EP 4 please come quick!

• January 22, 2012 at 2:46 amsatuors13

She’s more like a YANDERE than a TSUNDERE to me LOL!

• January 22, 2012 at 4:49 amNemuri

h..ho..how can you further use such blasphemous words to our Goddess…:]

• January 22, 2012 at 3:05 amBeedle

verdant, how the heck did you recognize that symbol on Gahara-san’s hand? o__0

• January 22, 2012 at 3:34 amverdant

I’m secretly a fedora-wearing archaeologist.

• January 22, 2012 at 3:50 amCybersteel

So Unlisted is like your kawaii, Tsundere yomihime?

• January 22, 2012 at 3:49 amCybersteel

Now we know… now we know… Poor Araragi-kun.
    Anyways here ya go, Some GIF to steal but don’t hotlink them please…
    Nisenmonogatari – 03a
    Nisenmonogatari – 03b
    Nisenmonogatari – 03c

• January 22, 2012 at 9:39 ambelatkuro

Needs a gif of Hitagi blushing.

• January 22, 2012 at 7:45 pmThe Moondoggie

Your gifs adds another thing to look forward to every week.

• January 22, 2012 at 4:17 amHakumeiJin

Senjougahara OP is definitely the better one so far. I wonder if anyone will try to typeset for it :D

• January 22, 2012 at 5:10 amfragb85

Hitagi continues to be awesome. She does make a good couple with Araragi. I laughed at her Hachikuji impression. Though, I find it suspicious how quickly she folded to Tsubasa. Its giving me lots of weird perverted thoughts.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:50 amhurin

Hitagi is not as strong as she pretends to be. This is best illustrated in eps 1 of Bakemonogatari where Araragi is taking her to see Oshino, and her dialogue shows she’s paralysed with fear.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:23 amKarmafan

Finally something is happening. I like this series but I don’t remember the 1st season being so slow moving with next to nothing happening storywise. I’m glad its picking up.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:32 amEvon

The Story seems slower maybe because in Bake- there are 5 stories while in Nise, technically there is only 2. But hey, the dialogue is great, I dont mind it at all

• January 22, 2012 at 7:15 amronri

I think you’re forgetting that Nisemonogatari might have a different pace considering how it only has 2 arcs in comparison to Bakemonogatari…..just saying. Besides it’s not like Nisemonogatari has to keep to the same pace as Bakemonogatari, if anything this feels like a more drawn-out story than the quick snappy vibe Bakemonogatari had.

• January 22, 2012 at 6:44 amMonk

The best episode of nisemonogatari (so far), i hope each episode of nisemonogatari will be better than previous one :). I can’t wait for the next episode…

• January 22, 2012 at 7:34 amAni_BEE

It only takes a few syllables of dialog to recognize Miki Shinichiro is at work. You right you don’t see him do many villains but he does melancholy and serious so well it shall be interesting to see him preform Kaiki.

• January 22, 2012 at 7:44 amKinny Riddle

I see Shaft can now afford to do different OP animations per episode, even when the song is the same, which can only be a good thing, as it makes every second of watching every episode worth it. (Rather than having to skip over the OP and straight into the story)

Blushing Senjougahara = WIN

• January 22, 2012 at 8:06 amxephx

I wonder if all the girls are going to have a new OP or if its just going to be Senjougahara and the Fire Sisters. Great episode it remainded me why I liked Senjougahara. However I guess I really am the only person that likes Kuuderes more than Tsunderes.

• January 22, 2012 at 8:48 ambloodanime

Oh NADEKO! I never knew you could be this sexy!
    PS: How could you NOT put up all those Nadeko screencaps >_<!

• January 22, 2012 at 10:30 amhurin

Just watched it again. This scene is copied from ‘Akira’.

• January 25, 2012 at 1:31 amJared Drake

Holy Crap. You’re right!!!! Damn. I didn’t notice that.

• January 22, 2012 at 10:34 amjrj

can’t wait for next week’s episode +10086…

I am shocked at how well this episode played out… SHAFT is amazing at animate that atmosphere with BGM and visual when Kaiki finally made his debut… I can even say the scene is in some way even better than the LN!

and Guillotine cutter, as several people have pointed out, is one of the vampire hunter Araragi faced during Kizumonogatari, and I may add, he is a priest that deals with monsters. Thus the comparison between him, Oshino, and Kaiki…

and I must say… Nisio Isin is too clever with his spoilers… Kudos to him and to SHAFT!

• January 22, 2012 at 11:02 amKTNO

• January 22, 2012 at 11:23 amGhostalker

Wow!..this episode is just wow! Yeah, amazingly done you know? Yeah, just wow!

I’m glad I’ve watched and loved Bakemonogatari, and I’m very glad that I’m watching and loving Nisemonogatari right now. This is the Madoka Magica for me for the winter season 2012.

This season is certainly great, lot’s of shows I’m loving watching right now. All together, this new year kicks off with a great start.

About this episode, it’s great and all they continue right where they stop last episode, ahh…all those Kanbaru goodies. Also, it’s good that they finally introduce the person I presume to be the villain of this series (or at least to this Karen Bee arc?) The best moments of this episode thought still will be the Senjougahara part, every minute of it is like reminiscing why I like watching anime in the first place…for moments like those. It’s good and all that Araragi made an impression to Senjougahara to the point that she actually blushes on how good a person Araragi really is. I wish it’s already next week, of the brutal wait.

• January 22, 2012 at 12:35 pmAvalanche

This was a good episode. I also got the impression Kanbaru knew more than what she was letting on. Every time I saw Araragi in the chains, I kept thinking how easier he could probably break them. I’m almost have expecting the call for help to be ‘fake’.

Now if only Shinobu would come in…

• January 22, 2012 at 1:26 pmBeedle

ooo Shinobu should still be living in Araragi’s shadow, right? Hopefully the chibi-vampire will play a larger role here in preparation for Kizumovie :D

• January 22, 2012 at 1:48 pmjrj

all I can say without major spoiler is that you will see the loli vampire at some point… her story is not over… (and I am not talking about the movie either)

• January 22, 2012 at 12:41 pmeuler271

that hand of kanbaru in the full length image is a little weird, right? where the finger comes from?

• January 22, 2012 at 1:31 pmR

I just noticed it. Her fingertips aren’t aligned correctly to her right hand.

• January 22, 2012 at 2:12 pmverdant

Whew, after some clever redrawing, it’s been fixed, thanks for noticing!

• January 22, 2012 at 3:02 pmBeedle

is it just me or did the image grow larger? =o

yummy eyecandy is still yummy; thanks :D~

• January 22, 2012 at 2:23 pmeuler271

no prob, glad to be of help

• January 22, 2012 at 3:00 pmBeedle

After seeing Kaiki and rewatching Nise ep2, I think I now know what happening in this arc!

Now to figure out what Hanekawa’s doing to Gahara-san :/ Their conversation sounds a bit like Class Rep-chan’s blackmailing Gahara-san…

hrmm… I wonder if the important thing Hanekawa had to do in episode 1 has something to do with Gahara-san o_o…

• January 22, 2012 at 3:55 pmjrj

hmm… you are getting part of the story correct, but there are still some details that you are missing… but still, good job on figuring it out…
      hope you still enjoy the story :)

• January 22, 2012 at 5:28 pmBeedle

woohoo :D! I’m sure I’ll still enjoy the story either way xD a story is also about the delivery, and these eps haven’t disappointed yet *_*

• January 22, 2012 at 4:15 pmomeganx

I guess that means Arararagi is…*puts on shades* …Off the chains.

• January 22, 2012 at 5:14 pmZhinvu

Pics like these remind me why I’m a Kanbaru fan. I already found her cute back in Bakemonogatari.

• January 22, 2012 at 7:48 pmThe Moondoggie

Senjougahara is still yandere/tsundere as ever. I thought the combination was impossible, and I took one to the knee.

• January 22, 2012 at 8:26 pmhaseo0408

Koyome and Hitagi are so perfect for each other that I feel bad for the other girls, if they try to get close to Koyomi hitagi wil kill them that´s for sure but in the other hand Koyomi will never fall to the temptation and beinf unfaithful to the only woman he loves (needless to say that he will be torture to death if he ever dare). Who says the vampire has to be the dengerous one in the relationship?. I´m in the Hitagi ship to the end.

• January 23, 2012 at 2:56 pmJif

Unforunately, it would appear that everybody is perfect for him. Especially Hanekawa, given what happened in Show Spoiler ▼

• January 25, 2012 at 11:12 amSingerOfW

With such a great focus on the Eye of Horus, I’m surprised you had nothing to say on the Tokugawa crest that Hitagi had a couple of moments before that.

• January 25, 2012 at 5:26 pmverdant

Yeah, I noticed the Tokugawa mon, but I don’t really know what the meaning behind it is, other than representing the Tokugawa clan.

• January 25, 2012 at 2:39 pmTSouL

i love koikoi!

• January 26, 2012 at 1:11 amAiRiSuDaiSuKi

i honestly do not see hitagi as a tsundere. she’s more of a anna kyoyama to me. a bit of kuudere that has a sharp tongue and a tad abusive. XDD i hate tsunderes in general, but the fact that hitagi is a unique case makes me love her more than ever. and damn, just look at that burashiing face. <<<<<333

• January 26, 2012 at 3:39 amYolo

For the people mentioning kizu, is there a site where i can read the light novels with english subs?

• January 26, 2012 at 6:21 amDizzy

LOL you mean english translations? Too much anime. You can read it at Baka Tsuki, it’s labeled under Monogatari series. And Kizu is the only one fully translated unfortunately.

• January 26, 2012 at 12:10 pmYolo

ahahaaaa yea “translations” and yes too much anime haha. and thanks for the info i really appreciate it =]

• February 3, 2012 at 7:04 pmEnderr